Nannies want to stop you from building mains-powered projects

Started by Don Kuenz April 11, 2019
On 12/04/2019 12:10 am, Don Kuenz wrote:
> Just before this issue went to press, I received a product safety > complaint via NSW Fair Trading, alleging that _Silicon Chip_ > magazine is unsafe. Apparently, this is because we explain how > to build mains-powered devices, such as the Touch & IR Remote > Control Dimmer featured in February and March this year. ... > > http://www.siliconchip.com.au/Issue/2019/April/Nannies+want+to+stop+you+building+mains-powered+projects > > A couple of years ago, the number of people in SED who apparently lack > any practical experience with full wave bridge rectifiers that plug > directly into an electrical outlet surprised me. As a teenage circuit > designer, it was only natural for me to design and build power supplies > that plugged directly into an electrical outlet. A power supply was > typically the first phase of any new design because it was needed to > power sub-circuits in order to verify my design as components were > assembled. > What happens after 120VAC becomes taboo? Do we start to take a long > hard look at +48VDC? > > Thank you, 73, >
The first think Nicholas Vinen should do is ask NSW Fair Trading which particular section of which particular law imposes a safety requirement on a magazine. Sylvia.
Sylvia Else raving nut case wrote:

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/Issue/2019/April/Nannies+want+to+stop+you+building+mains-powered+projects
> > > The first think Nicholas Vinen should do is ask NSW Fair Trading which > particular section of which particular law imposes a safety requirement > on a magazine. >
** A magazine is a product and if it contains instructions that are hazardous to carry and/or contradict electrical safety law - Fair Trading has every right to be interested. In this case, Jaycar will soon be selling kits and instructions reprinted from the Silicon Chip magazine for anyone to purchase and have a go at producing their very own touch dimmer. The complaint may well contain that info but we are not privy to such detail. Wall plate dimmers are not allowed on sale unless type approved by a recognised agency and as stated in the editorial must only be installed by a licenced electrician. There is no way an electrician can legally install a home built, non approved dimmer - so kit buyers must do that themselves. The content of that editorial is entirely self serving. .... Phil
On 12/04/2019 2:47 pm, pallison49@gmail.com wrote:
> Sylvia Else raving nut case wrote: >> >> > http://www.siliconchip.com.au/Issue/2019/April/Nannies+want+to+stop+you+building+mains-powered+projects > > >> >> >> The first think Nicholas Vinen should do is ask NSW Fair Trading >> which particular section of which particular law imposes a safety >> requirement on a magazine. >> > > > ** A magazine is a product and if it contains instructions that are > hazardous to carry and/or contradict electrical safety law - Fair > Trading has every right to be interested.
Build mains-powered gear is not inherently hazardous, and the resulting equipment can be lawfully connected to the mains in NSW if it's done by way a plug into a power socket.
> > In this case, Jaycar will soon be selling kits and instructions > reprinted from the Silicon Chip magazine for anyone to purchase and > have a go at producing their very own touch dimmer. The complaint may > well contain that info but we are not privy to such detail.
If Jaycar do that, that's a matter for them, not for Silicon Chip.
> > Wall plate dimmers are not allowed on sale unless type approved by a > recognised agency and as stated in the editorial must only be > installed by a licenced electrician. There is no way an electrician > can legally install a home built, non approved dimmer - so kit buyers > must do that themselves.
Or not connect them that way. I think there's every reason to be concerned about creeping nanny-stateism. Sylvia.
Sylvia Else Rabid Nutter wrote:

 http://www.siliconchip.com.au/Issue/2019/April/Nannies+want+to+stop+you+building+mains-powered+projects

> and the resulting > equipment can be lawfully connected to the mains in NSW if it's done by > way a plug into a power socket. >
** Not the case here. It's a WALL PLATE dimmer you imbecile.
> > > In this case, Jaycar will soon be selling kits and instructions > > reprinted from the Silicon Chip magazine for anyone to purchase and > > have a go at producing their very own touch dimmer. The complaint may > > well contain that info but we are not privy to such detail. > > If Jaycar do that, that's a matter for them, not for Silicon Chip. > >
** The magazine is just as liable, having published the design and generated all the instructions.
> > Wall plate dimmers are not allowed on sale unless type approved by a > > recognised agency and as stated in the editorial must only be > > installed by a licenced electrician. There is no way an electrician > > can legally install a home built, non approved dimmer - so kit buyers > > must do that themselves. > > Or not connect them that way.
** It's a WALL PLATE dimmer you fucking nut case.
> I think there's every reason to be concerned about creeping nanny-stateism. >
** There is way more reason to be concerned about RABID NUT CASES like Sylvia posting fucking absurd advice. .... Phil
On 12/04/2019 4:46 pm, pallison49@gmail.com wrote:
> Sylvia Else Rabid Nutter wrote: > > http://www.siliconchip.com.au/Issue/2019/April/Nannies+want+to+stop+you+building+mains-powered+projects > >> >>> >>>> >>>> >>>> The first think Nicholas Vinen should do is ask NSW Fair Trading >>>> which particular section of which particular law imposes a safety >>>> requirement on a magazine. >>>> >>> >>> >>> ** A magazine is a product and if it contains instructions that are >>> hazardous to carry and/or contradict electrical safety law - Fair >>> Trading has every right to be interested. >> >> Build mains-powered gear is not inherently hazardous, >> > > ** Idiotic Bollocks. > > >> and the resulting >> equipment can be lawfully connected to the mains in NSW if it's done by >> way a plug into a power socket. >> > > ** Not the case here. > > It's a WALL PLATE dimmer you imbecile. > > > >> >>> In this case, Jaycar will soon be selling kits and instructions >>> reprinted from the Silicon Chip magazine for anyone to purchase and >>> have a go at producing their very own touch dimmer. The complaint may >>> well contain that info but we are not privy to such detail. >> >> If Jaycar do that, that's a matter for them, not for Silicon Chip. >>> > > > ** The magazine is just as liable, having published the design and generated all the instructions. > > >>> Wall plate dimmers are not allowed on sale unless type approved by a >>> recognised agency and as stated in the editorial must only be >>> installed by a licenced electrician. There is no way an electrician >>> can legally install a home built, non approved dimmer - so kit buyers >>> must do that themselves. >> >> Or not connect them that way. > > > ** It's a WALL PLATE dimmer you fucking nut case.
You could mount it on a box, and connect a lead to it. Sylvia.
Sylvia Else Fucking NUTTER wrote:

> [...]
** Complete insanity. Like all Sylvia's ASD fucked ideas. .... Phil
On 11/04/2019 15:10, Don Kuenz wrote:
> Just before this issue went to press, I received a product safety > complaint via NSW Fair Trading, alleging that _Silicon Chip_ > magazine is unsafe. Apparently, this is because we explain how > to build mains-powered devices, such as the Touch & IR Remote > Control Dimmer featured in February and March this year. ... > > http://www.siliconchip.com.au/Issue/2019/April/Nannies+want+to+stop+you+building+mains-powered+projects > > A couple of years ago, the number of people in SED who apparently lack > any practical experience with full wave bridge rectifiers that plug > directly into an electrical outlet surprised me. As a teenage circuit > designer, it was only natural for me to design and build power supplies > that plugged directly into an electrical outlet. A power supply was > typically the first phase of any new design because it was needed to > power sub-circuits in order to verify my design as components were > assembled. > What happens after 120VAC becomes taboo? Do we start to take a long > hard look at +48VDC? > > Thank you, 73, >
My mummy (too impoversished for a nanny) never warned me to never go near the 240V that can leak out of our sockets in the UK.
On Friday, 12 April 2019 08:22:58 UTC+1, palli...@gmail.com  wrote:
> Sylvia Else Fucking NUTTER wrote:
> > > ** It's a WALL PLATE dimmer you fucking nut case.
> > You could mount it on a box, and connect a lead to it.
> ** Complete insanity. > > Like all Sylvia's ASD fucked ideas.
Somewhere I have/had a dimmer & socket in a box with lead. It got used to control various things on occasion, eg lights, motors, to test circuits, hot things like hot wire & hot glue tools etc. It proved worth having. NT
N_Cook wrote...
> > My mummy (too impoversished for a nanny) never warned > me to never go near the 240V that can leak out of our > sockets in the UK.
And what happened? -- Thanks, - Win
I think we know where to find the rabid nut-case... I'm just sayin' -- Rick C. + Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging + Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209