Nannies want to stop you from building mains-powered projects

Started by Don Kuenz April 11, 2019
Cursitor Doom Criminal Troll wrote:
> [...]
** At your peril - you raving fuckwit.
> He has an extreme phobia of electricity
** Strange how I regularly work on tube amplifier plus pro lighting dimmers and large SMPS. CD's monstrous ignorance is only exceeded by his colossal arrogance.
> and won't even take the lid off a microwave to replace a blown fuse!
** Having no sane case to put, CD just makes shit up. And what smelly shit it is.
> One has to wonder > why he ever became a service engineer in the first place; very poor > choice of career for someone like that. >
** CD is a vile, criminal liar was as well as a complete moron. He has no right being on this NG whatever Piss the shithead off, ASAP. .... Phil
On 13/04/2019 5:30 am, John Larkin wrote:

> > There is a movement back to old-fashioned free-range children. >
And a good thing too. The effect of all the nannying seems to have been to breed a generation of people who assume that the world is a benign place, and who are incapable of recognising even quite obvious hazards. So we end up with signs warning people not to jump off high rocks into natural pools of water because it doesn't occur to people that the pool might not be deep enough. Yet there's clearly no end to this - we can't expect to warn of every possible danger. Sylvia.
On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 16:31:20 +1000, Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid>
wrote:

>On 13/04/2019 5:30 am, John Larkin wrote: > >> >> There is a movement back to old-fashioned free-range children. >> > >And a good thing too. The effect of all the nannying seems to have been >to breed a generation of people who assume that the world is a benign >place, and who are incapable of recognising even quite obvious hazards.
What I see is kids who are afraid of everything, which seems backwards to me. We brats who got burned and hurt are pretty tough, but the super-protected ones, who nothing has ever happened to, are scared. I'm a great fan of "laying on hands". Feel a circuit board and see what's warm, or see if you can change the frequency of an oscillation or change a race condition. I did that yesterday with my new engineer. He found an oscillating in our I/Q modulator, so we looked at the oscillation on a spectrum analyzer and finger-poked around to find a spot that would shift the frequency. It was an AD8009 oscillating at 180 MHz. We'll use a slower amp, or just scale up the resistors to reduce the amp's GBW product. We just need gain -1 up to 50 MHz or so. He enjoyed learning that trick. But I've had interns who refused to touch a PC board that was only powered by 3.3 volts.
> >So we end up with signs warning people not to jump off high rocks into >natural pools of water because it doesn't occur to people that the pool >might not be deep enough. > >Yet there's clearly no end to this - we can't expect to warn of every >possible danger. > >Sylvia.
-- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics
On Saturday, 13 April 2019 16:47:07 UTC+1, John Larkin  wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 16:31:20 +1000, Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> > wrote: > >On 13/04/2019 5:30 am, John Larkin wrote:
> >> There is a movement back to old-fashioned free-range children. > >> > > > >And a good thing too. The effect of all the nannying seems to have been > >to breed a generation of people who assume that the world is a benign > >place, and who are incapable of recognising even quite obvious hazards. > > What I see is kids who are afraid of everything, which seems backwards > to me. We brats who got burned and hurt are pretty tough, but the > super-protected ones, who nothing has ever happened to, are scared. > > I'm a great fan of "laying on hands". Feel a circuit board and see > what's warm, or see if you can change the frequency of an oscillation > or change a race condition. I did that yesterday with my new engineer. > He found an oscillating in our I/Q modulator, so we looked at the > oscillation on a spectrum analyzer and finger-poked around to find a > spot that would shift the frequency. It was an AD8009 oscillating at > 180 MHz. We'll use a slower amp, or just scale up the resistors to > reduce the amp's GBW product. We just need gain -1 up to 50 MHz or so. > > He enjoyed learning that trick. But I've had interns who refused to > touch a PC board that was only powered by 3.3 volts. > > > > >So we end up with signs warning people not to jump off high rocks into > >natural pools of water because it doesn't occur to people that the pool > >might not be deep enough. > > > >Yet there's clearly no end to this - we can't expect to warn of every > >possible danger. > > > >Sylvia.
3.3v! How could you ask them to touch that! I fixed a nuke supply the other day, over 3.3kV. When kids, who become adults, fear everything they do nothing & take no opportunities, thus failing at everything by default. It's a clueless culture that thinks that is the right way to go. NT
On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 09:50:47 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr@gmail.com wrote:

>On Saturday, 13 April 2019 16:47:07 UTC+1, John Larkin wrote: >> On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 16:31:20 +1000, Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> >> wrote: >> >On 13/04/2019 5:30 am, John Larkin wrote: > >> >> There is a movement back to old-fashioned free-range children. >> >> >> > >> >And a good thing too. The effect of all the nannying seems to have been >> >to breed a generation of people who assume that the world is a benign >> >place, and who are incapable of recognising even quite obvious hazards. >> >> What I see is kids who are afraid of everything, which seems backwards >> to me. We brats who got burned and hurt are pretty tough, but the >> super-protected ones, who nothing has ever happened to, are scared. >> >> I'm a great fan of "laying on hands". Feel a circuit board and see >> what's warm, or see if you can change the frequency of an oscillation >> or change a race condition. I did that yesterday with my new engineer. >> He found an oscillating in our I/Q modulator, so we looked at the >> oscillation on a spectrum analyzer and finger-poked around to find a >> spot that would shift the frequency. It was an AD8009 oscillating at >> 180 MHz. We'll use a slower amp, or just scale up the resistors to >> reduce the amp's GBW product. We just need gain -1 up to 50 MHz or so. >> >> He enjoyed learning that trick. But I've had interns who refused to >> touch a PC board that was only powered by 3.3 volts. >> >> > >> >So we end up with signs warning people not to jump off high rocks into >> >natural pools of water because it doesn't occur to people that the pool >> >might not be deep enough. >> > >> >Yet there's clearly no end to this - we can't expect to warn of every >> >possible danger. >> > >> >Sylvia. > >3.3v! How could you ask them to touch that! I fixed a nuke supply the other day, over 3.3kV. >When kids, who become adults, fear everything they do nothing & take no opportunities, thus failing at everything by default. It's a clueless culture that thinks that is the right way to go. > > >NT
I theorized that my 1200 volt pulse generator wouldn't shock me (it makes 7 ns pulses at 5 MHz maybe) so I grabbed the output. Nothing happened. If you tease it with a fingertip, you can get a tiny RF burn. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics
On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 08:47:02 -0700, John Larkin wrote:

> He enjoyed learning that trick. But I've had interns who refused to > touch a PC board that was only powered by 3.3 volts.
How long did they last? -- This message may be freely reproduced without limit or charge only via the Usenet protocol. Reproduction in whole or part through other protocols, whether for profit or not, is conditional upon a charge of GBP10.00 per reproduction. Publication in this manner via non-Usenet protocols constitutes acceptance of this condition.
On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 10:28:43 -0700, John Larkin wrote:

> I theorized that my 1200 volt pulse generator wouldn't shock me (it > makes 7 ns pulses at 5 MHz maybe) so I grabbed the output. Nothing > happened. If you tease it with a fingertip, you can get a tiny RF burn.
I get the exact same sensation from touching an exposed HDMI socket! Feels like about 110V. No idea why such a voltage should be present on an unshielded, exposed socket that kids could easily stick in their mouths. :-/ -- This message may be freely reproduced without limit or charge only via the Usenet protocol. Reproduction in whole or part through other protocols, whether for profit or not, is conditional upon a charge of GBP10.00 per reproduction. Publication in this manner via non-Usenet protocols constitutes acceptance of this condition.
On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 20:12:30 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
<curd@notformail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 08:47:02 -0700, John Larkin wrote: > >> He enjoyed learning that trick. But I've had interns who refused to >> touch a PC board that was only powered by 3.3 volts. > >How long did they last?
A couple of months. Sometimes less. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics
On 4/13/19 1:05 AM, John Larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 20:57:35 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote: > >> On 4/12/19 8:41 PM, John Larkin wrote: >>> On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 20:12:58 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote: >>> >>>> On 4/12/19 1:53 AM, Sylvia Else wrote: >>>>> On 12/04/2019 2:47 pm, pallison49@gmail.com wrote: >>>>>> Sylvia Else raving nut case wrote: >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>> http://www.siliconchip.com.au/Issue/2019/April/Nannies+want+to+stop+you+building+mains-powered+projects >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> The first think Nicholas Vinen should do is ask NSW Fair Trading >>>>>>> which particular section of which particular law imposes a safety >>>>>>> requirement on a magazine. >>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> ** A magazine is a product and if it contains instructions that are >>>>>> hazardous to carry and/or contradict electrical safety law - Fair >>>>>> Trading has every right to be interested. >>>>> >>>>> Build mains-powered gear is not inherently hazardous, and the resulting >>>>> equipment can be lawfully connected to the mains in NSW if it's done by >>>>> way a plug into a power socket. >>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> In this case, Jaycar will soon be selling kits and instructions >>>>>> reprinted from the Silicon Chip magazine for anyone to purchase and >>>>>> have a go at producing their very own touch dimmer. The complaint may >>>>>> well contain that info but we are not privy to such detail. >>>>> >>>>> If Jaycar do that, that's a matter for them, not for Silicon Chip. >>>>>> >>>>>> Wall plate dimmers are not allowed on sale unless type approved by a >>>>>> recognised agency and as stated in the editorial must only be >>>>>> installed by a licenced electrician. There is no way an electrician >>>>>> can legally install a home built, non approved dimmer - so kit buyers >>>>>> must do that themselves. >>>>> >>>>> Or not connect them that way. >>>>> >>>>> I think there's every reason to be concerned about creeping nanny-stateism. >>>>> >>>>> Sylvia. >>>> >>>> >>>> Americans for example can't make up their mind what they're scared of >>>> most, the filthy non-white "invaders" or a enormously powerful >>>> centralized government with gigantic law enforcement budgets and LEO >>>> with sweeping powers to do pretty much whatever they want. >>> >>> We're scared of too much of the population refusing to think. >>> >>> >> >> I think a lot of people tend to be pretty sharp a lot of the time, >> didn't get to be the dominant species on the planet by being too dumb, >> in the average. > > People don't dominate, tribes do. Only a minority need to think, and > the rest don't think, but follow charismatic or brutal leaders and do > what they are told. They do, on a group tribal basis, decide who will > do the thinking for them; that collective decision is not generally > rational. > > That's why people are enthusiastic about "our" political party and > "our" football team, both of which are just hired thugs. > >> >> I think you don't like it when people don't agree with you and this is a >> knee-jerk rejoinder. I think rather than being scared you rather enjoy >> the notion that many people don't think, and you do. > > Well, I'm basically never scared, so I have to think. Try it. > >> >> This is what I think...;) > > I think that you are obsessed with race and racial guilt. You keep > bringing that up. I think that ranting about ' filthy non-white > "invaders" ' is telling.
I don't suppose there'd be a wall under construction if the people who wanted it loved 'em. I'm not the one who asked for it, American has been fine for well over 200 years without one.
On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 15:41:22 -0700, John Larkin
<jjlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 20:12:30 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom ><curd@notformail.com> wrote: > >>On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 08:47:02 -0700, John Larkin wrote: >> >>> He enjoyed learning that trick. But I've had interns who refused to >>> touch a PC board that was only powered by 3.3 volts. >> >>How long did they last? > >A couple of months. Sometimes less.
We tend to keep them for years, then hire the best as regular employees. GT does a great job with interns.