Alternator problem

Started by linnix June 18, 2011

linnix wrote:
> On Jun 19, 4:58=A0pm, jama...@my-deja.com wrote: >>your car may not use a conventional pulley but a >>clutch pulley, and I suspect this could be the root of your problem. >>Web sites dedicated to Lexuses or Toyotas should have more about this. > >I am think about changing the pulley on the alternator, which is a >standard part for many toyotas.
Is it a pulley, rather than a clutch pulley? The clutch pulley is adjustable, and perhaps it's not being adjusted right.
On Jun 19, 6:07=A0pm, jama...@my-deja.com wrote:
> linnix wrote: > > On Jun 19, 4:58=A0pm, jama...@my-deja.com wrote: > >>your car may not use a conventional pulley but a > >>clutch pulley, and I suspect this could be the root of your problem. > >>Web sites dedicated to Lexuses or Toyotas should have more about this. > > >I am think about changing the pulley on the alternator, which is a > >standard part for many toyotas. > > Is it a pulley, rather than a clutch pulley? =A0The clutch pulley is > adjustable, and perhaps it's not being adjusted right.
I don't think it's adjustable. The pulley is directly attached to the alternator rotor.
is the idiot light working?
Switched battery voltage goes through the ignition switch, through the
alternator idiot lamp and into the regulator. If this circuit is open, you
rely on residual magnetization in the alternator to bootstrap it to
producing output. This generally happens at a higher RPM.  Current provided
through the idiot lamp provides field magnetizing current to allow
regulation at idle speeds.

Back in the 60's when engine run-on was a problem, we realized that adding a
simple diode in series with idiot lamp (cathode toward alternator) stopped
the run-on.

Simple marine alternators referred to as 1-wire types had the regulator
battery sense and output terminals connected. The connection to the idiot
lamp was not used. Those would not produce output until about 2000 engine
RPMs since they rely on residual magnetizing energy stored in rotor.

Oppie

linnix <me@linnix.info-for.us> writes:

>I only disconnect it briefly to verify that the alternator output is >below the battery voltage.
And how many milliseconds does it take to toast an ECU with overvoltage spikes? -- A host is a host from coast to coast.................wb8foz@nrk.com & no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433 is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433
I should have included this link
http://www.alternatorparts.com/understanding_alternators.htm

Rowland provides parts to rebuilders and is a good source of tech info
http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/ExternallyRegulatedToInternallyRegulatedAlternator.htm

On Jun 19, 7:34=A0pm, David Lesher <wb8...@panix.com> wrote:
> linnix <m...@linnix.info-for.us> writes: > > >> Don't run the alternator without the battery. =3DA0Alternator diodes > >> aren't rated 400V PIV for no reason. > >I only disconnect it briefly to verify that the alternator output is > >below the battery voltage. > > And how many milliseconds does it take to toast an ECU with overvoltage s=
pikes?

Battery acts as a current sink, and so does the head lights. I am having problem with undervoltage, not overvoltage. There are probably 20A to 30A current sink even without the battery.
"linnix" <me@linnix.info-for.us> wrote in message
On Jun 19, 7:34 pm, David Lesher <wb8...@panix.com> wrote:
> linnix <m...@linnix.info-for.us> writes: > > >> Don't run the alternator without the battery. =A0Alternator diodes > >> aren't rated 400V PIV for no reason. > >I only disconnect it briefly to verify that the alternator output is > >below the battery voltage. > > And how many milliseconds does it take to toast an ECU with overvoltage > spikes? >
Battery acts as a current sink, and so does the head lights. I am having problem with undervoltage, not overvoltage. There are probably 20A to 30A current sink even without the battery. You sound like you know a lot more about this problem with this car than any of us do. I recommend doing anything you like until you either fix it or screw it up to the point where it won't run anymore. You don't want our opinions or advice, you want to impress us with your knowledge of charging systems. Sorry, we're not impressed, your charging system still is not working.
On Jun 19, 8:03=A0pm, "hifi-tek" <t.hoeh...@insightbb.com> wrote:
> "linnix" <m...@linnix.info-for.us> wrote in message > > news:a100c3e1-64aa-4623-a11f-674f30f6d722@17g2000prr.googlegroups.com... > On Jun 19, 7:34 pm, David Lesher <wb8...@panix.com> wrote: > > > linnix <m...@linnix.info-for.us> writes: > > > >> Don't run the alternator without the battery. =3DA0Alternator diodes > > >> aren't rated 400V PIV for no reason. > > >I only disconnect it briefly to verify that the alternator output is > > >below the battery voltage. > > > And how many milliseconds does it take to toast an ECU with overvoltage > > spikes? > > Battery acts as a current sink, and so does the head lights. =A0 I am > having problem with undervoltage, not overvoltage. =A0There are probably > 20A to 30A current sink even without the battery. > > You sound like you know a lot more about this problem with this car than =
any
> of us do. I recommend doing anything you like until you either fix it or > screw it up to the point where it won't run anymore. You don't want our > opinions or advice, you want to impress us with your knowledge of chargin=
> systems. Sorry, we're not impressed, your charging system still is not > working.
I follow reasonable suggestions, like grounding the alternator with battery terminal, as the other poster said. I just don't buy the idea of hundreds of volt surging into 20A to 30A of load. When i disconnected the battery, the head light dimmed, not brightened. So, i am getting too little power, not too much. Engineering is about trials and errors, and eliminating the unknowns, within reasons. I don't claim to know everything about charging.
> I follow reasonable suggestions, like grounding the alternator with > battery terminal, as the other poster said. I just don't buy the idea > of hundreds of volt surging into 20A to 30A of load. When i > disconnected the battery, the head light dimmed, not brightened. So, > i am getting too little power, not too much. Engineering is about > trials and errors, and eliminating the unknowns, within reasons. I > don't claim to know everything about charging.
Have you read my post about the idiot lamp yet? I've done a lot of work with alternators...
On Jun 19, 8:21=A0pm, "Oppie" <Op...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> "linnix" <m...@linnix.info-for.us> wrote in message > > news:508a8db3-d606-4845-bbe5-52c4fe13975e@d19g2000prh.googlegroups.com... > > > I follow reasonable suggestions, like grounding the alternator with > > battery terminal, as the other poster said. =A0I just don't buy the ide=
> > of hundreds of volt surging into 20A to 30A of load. =A0When i > > disconnected the battery, the head light dimmed, not brightened. =A0So, > > i am getting too little power, not too much. =A0Engineering is about > > trials and errors, and eliminating the unknowns, within reasons. =A0I > > don't claim to know everything about charging. > > Have you read my post about the idiot lamp yet? > I've done a lot of work with alternators...
Yes, i read your post, but I have to research more about this idiot lamp first. All dash board indicators are normal. The car is running normal, except for not charging at idle. Thanks anyway.