interviewing

Started by RichD April 13, 2022
On Sunday, April 17, 2022 at 8:20:02 AM UTC+10, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2022 14:16:01 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison > <palli...@gmail.com> wrote: > > >jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote: = > >> > >> It was interesting to see not just his intelligence and technical > >> range, but how he generated ideas and reacted to other peoples' ideas. > >> Perhaps a tad dogmatic,
Didn't agree with John Larkin quite as fast as John would have liked.
> >** So in reality a whole lot and exactly like JL - another autistic. > > No, quite different. It's called a "spectrum" for good reason. > > >> but I guess people are stressed in interviews. > > > >** Nope - that is how most autistics permanently ARE.
What Phil knows about being autistic seems to come from calling other people autistic. and probably from being told that he is austistic (though that's merely a plausible hypothesis). He certainly seems to see many more autistic people than you'd expect from the Australian population statistics, so his diagnostic criteria don't seem to be well calibrated.
> No, quite the opposite. All sorts of things that other people worry about, I absolutely ignore.
That's excessive self-confidence and egomania - also exhibited by Donald Trump. Nothing to do with autism - though if you can't pick up the socials signals telling you that you are boasting to excess, you may be more likely to make a habit of it.
> >> He also cooks, and bakes bread, so we took him for Thai lunch outdoors > >> and then walked to Tartine and bought him a gigantic sourdough country > >> loaf. All that sort of stuff suggests how people might work together. > > > >** No it does not.
Not Phil, who isn't the most collaborative of engineers.
> >> He admits to being autistic, which is if anything an asset in our business. > > > >** My god, what a shitty business you are in. > > Thinking objectively, inventing things that work. It's fun and pays well. > > >But I guess being socially awkward and obsessed with tiny details is some sort advantage when doing PCBs. > > The tiny details matter. There are thousands of possible mistakes on a complex board, and it takes some obsession to get every one right.
Not exactly obsession. Persistence works just as well, and it's handy if you can break off and worry about something else that turns out to be more urgent before getting back to finish the job. Obsession is less flexible.
> As it takes some dedication to be really good at most anything.
Dedication isn't obsession.
> >> Another guy that we zoom interviewed this week is autistic too. > > > >** So PCB design is one step below code scribbling ? > > > >> Visibly so. > > > >** Wonder what that means. > > Rocking back and forth into the camera, especially visible with the close-up cam of a laptop. I let him know so maybe he can try to not do it in the future. > > Mo works with autistics. She suggests he do something out of sight, like squeeze a rubber ball maybe. > > > >Hesitant speech, makes no eye contact and looks plain odd? > > No that guy was great otherwise. Really smart, but wants to do wireless stuff, which we don't do.
Phil capacity for diagnosing autism is remarkable, but not all that reliable - he does see much more of it than people who are trained in how to look for it. -- Bill Sloman, Sydney
On Saturday, April 16, 2022 at 2:33:40 PM UTC-7, whit3rd wrote:
> On Thursday, April 14, 2022 at 7:40:42 PM UTC-7, John Miles, KE5FX wrote: > > On Thursday, April 14, 2022 at 3:05:59 AM UTC-7, Clive Arthur wrote: > > > Write a bit of generic code to calculate a square root.
> Isn't FORTRAN generic? Statement function would do it > > squareroot(x) = exp(alog(0.5 * x) )
Drat, those parentheses moved squareroot(x) = exp( 0.5 * alog(x))
On Sunday, April 17, 2022 at 11:47:29 AM UTC+10, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2022 15:48:50 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison > <palli...@gmail.com> wrote: > >jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
<snip>
> > ASD people cannot be genuinely objective. > > Lacking empathy just makes them mean and nasty.
They lack the capacity to pick up social signals. That doesn't make them means and nasty - once they work out that they have been unintentionally offensive, they can be just as apologetic as anybody else. Phil seems to lack the capacity to be apologetic.
Dedication is all that it takes. But there aren't all that many dedicated people around. If you've got lots of printed circuit boards to get laid out, you may have to settle for obsessive. <snip>
By which Phil means that he doesn't want to believe it.
> >One autistic has no way to evaluate another. > >Be like a blind person trying to evaluate someone's vision.
Autism involves some deficits in social interaction. The small visual and acoustic cues that most of us pick up automatically do help in evaluating other people, but there is plenty of other information available, not that Phil seems to know how to process it.
> The issue isn't personality stuff, it's electronics: not in your skill set.
Phil is actually very good at audio electronics. John Larkin has an inflated idea of his own electronic expertise. He's good but not as good as he likes to think, and he seems to have failed to notice when Phil's expertise was displayed here, as it has been from time to time. John is also prone to insulting people by claiming that they "don't design electronics", which is a trifle ironic since John Larkin's approach to circuit design looks more like evolving a better circuit by trying out lots of tiny incremental changes. Most people's design process involves evaluating a lot of different ideas before turning one or two into prototypes and evaluating them, and they can talk about the blind alleys that they looked at. Maybe John Larkin is too vain to admit spending time exploring blind alleys. -- Bill Sloman, Sydney
Phil Hobbs wrote:

> 8, 0, 0, 0, 0,....
The sequence is unnecessarily long. The next number in any sequence is always zero and it invariably is my answer to this type of questions. Easy peasy to prove this claim with Newton interpolation polynomial. Best regards, Piotr
On a sunny day (Sat, 16 Apr 2022 16:42:38 -0400) it happened Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote in
<t3f9o0$1jj7$1@gioia.aioe.org>:

>RichD wrote: >> On April 15, wim...@gmail.com wrote: >>> I was interviewed for the job of well logging engineer. Besides answering >>> common engineering questions, I was asked to solve the problems written >>> on a whiteboard behind my back. The usual stuff, like "what is the next >>> number in this sequence". >> >> 77, 49, 36, 18, ... ? >> >> >> -- >> Rich >> >8, 0, 0, 0, 0,.... > >Cheers > >Phil Hobbs
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11
On Sat, 16 Apr 2022 19:08:55 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison
<pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:

>jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote: > >================================== >> > >> >> >> It was interesting to see not just his intelligence and technical >> >> >> range, but how he generated ideas and reacted to other peoples' ideas. >> >> >> Perhaps a tad dogmatic, >> >> > >> >> >** So in reality a whole lot and exactly like JL - another autistic. >> >< >> >> No, quite different. It's called a "spectrum" for good reason. >> > >> > >> >** JL misreads, all the time. >> > >> >His words "... a tad dogmatic" - are clearly an understatement. >> >So in reality the applicant was a whole lot dogmatic >> >Like JL is, 100% of the time, including now. >> > >> > >> >> >> but I guess people are stressed in interviews. >> >> > >> >> >** Nope - that is how most autistics permanently ARE. >> > >> >> No, quite the opposite. >> > >> >** Fraid that is a totally undeniable fact. >> > >> > >> >> >> He admits to being autistic, which is if anything an asset in our business. >> >> > >> >> >** My god, what a shitty business you are in. >> > >> >> Thinking objectively, >> > >> >** Not something JL has ever done. >> > ASD people cannot be genuinely objective. >> > Lacking empathy just makes them mean and nasty. >> > >> >> > >> >> >But I guess being socially awkward and obsessed with tiny details is some sort advantage when doing PCBs. >> >> >> >> The tiny details matter. >> > >> >** But there is NO need to be autistic and obsessed to deal with details when needed. >> > >> >> >> Another guy that we zoom interviewed this week is autistic too. >> >> > >> >> >** So PCB design is one step below code scribbling ? >> >> > >> >> >> Visibly so. >> >> > >> >> >** Wonder what that means. >> >> >> >> Rocking back and forth into the camera, especially visible with the >> >> close-up cam of a laptop. I let him know so maybe he can try to not do >> >> it in the future. >> > >> >** LOL - better he not LOOK like a nut case - eh ? >> > >> > >> >> Mo works with autistics. >> > >> >** She is one, you fool. >> > >> > >> >> >Hesitant speech, makes no eye contact and looks plain odd? >> >> >> >> No that guy was great otherwise. >> > >> >** Blatant lie. >> > >> >One autistic has no way to evaluate another. >> >Be like a blind person trying to evaluate someone's vision. >> >> The issue isn't personality stuff, > >** It is and YOU raised it, in direst relation to " interviewing". > FFS READ your own words !!!. > >> it's electronics: > >** Anyone can see " electronics" was never even mentioned.
When we interview EEs, of course we talk about electronics. We did that for 5 hours on Friday. I prefer in-person interviews, where we can whiteboard architectures and circuits and things. Work together. Personalities matter too of course, and that is best evaluated by working together for a while.
> > What an absurd lie and pathetic obfuscation. > How typically autistic of JL....
There is no typical autism. It's not an OGOD (one gene, one disease) like Huntington's, but it's the sum of hundreds of genetic effects. Some trends are called "autism" by some people, but that's an arbitrary prejudice. You hate engineers because you can't understand the magic that we do. Lots of techs have that syndrome. -- I yam what I yam - Popeye
<snip>
https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/facts.html There is a a single diagnostic category labelled autistic spectrum disorders. There's not a single cause of all the various similar disorders, but they do have enough in common that they tend to be treated by a single class of medical practitioners. This single category may be a bit arbitrary - there are always going to be borderline cases - but clinical practice is shaped by patient behavior, not the other way around.
> You hate engineers because you can't understand the magic that we do. Lots of techs have that syndrome.
Phil isn't any kind of technician. He knows his way around audio electronics pretty well and does understand what he is doing. You don't seem to - or you may just not be interested in what other people do, if they don't know enough about what you are doing to give the the kind of well-informed flattery that you crave, and don't seem to deserve. -- Bill Sloman, Sydney
ljla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
==================================
> [...]
** Yaawwwnnn - more obfuscation. Plus JL resorts to the Royal Plural.
> Personalities matter too of course,
** Never mentioned either - what desperate liar. ( Autism is NOT a personality trait ) > What an absurd lie and pathetic obfuscation.
> > How typically autistic of JL.... > > There is no typical autism.
** Yet another dumb obfuscation - plus 100% false.
> like Huntington's, but it's the sum of hundreds of genetic effects.
** But just ONE overriding one.
> You hate engineers ....
** FFS, I am an engineer !!! What I hate are smug, narcissistic, bullshitting liars like YOU. Everybody hates them. .... Phil
Completely wrong. https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fncel.2019.00385/full <snip> -- Bill Sloman, Sydney
Total  IDIOT & Raving Ratbag  bill....@ieee.org wrote:

> > > There is no typical autism. > > > ** Yet another dumb obfuscation - plus 100% false. > > > > like Huntington's, but it's the sum of hundreds of genetic effects. > > > > ** But just ONE overriding one. > > Completely wrong. > > https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fncel.2019.00385/full >
** Only CONGENITAL LIARS post links like that. And clueless Google Monkeys like Da Slowman demented idiot. It's really just the same as saying: " .. proof of my (very likely wrong assertion is in their somewhere - so go find it Rover. " Well, NO it fucking ain't: WOOF WOOF !!! ...... Phil