Anyone hear of a 120V clothes dryer?

Started by Rick C October 4, 2021
On 10/5/2021 7:33 AM, bitrex wrote:

> The detergent and elbow-grease does the bulk of the work you don't need to fill > the whole fuckin' sink up for five dishes and five set forks spoons and knives, > and let them sit in the tub of shit-ass dirty water while you "clean" them, damn.
No, but there are people who run water continnuously and splash the dishes under the stream WHILE scrubbing them. You don't need *any* water to brush your teeth -- just a mouthful to rinse, afterwards. Yet, I'll bet you use more than a mouthful! Maybe even one of those folks who lets the water run WHILE they are brushing?
On 10/5/2021 10:38 AM, Don Y wrote:
> On 10/5/2021 7:33 AM, bitrex wrote: > >> The detergent and elbow-grease does the bulk of the work you don't >> need to fill the whole fuckin' sink up for five dishes and five set >> forks spoons and knives, and let them sit in the tub of shit-ass dirty >> water while you "clean" them, damn. > > No, but there are people who run water continnuously and splash the dishes > under the stream WHILE scrubbing them. > > You don't need *any* water to brush your teeth -- just a mouthful to > rinse, afterwards.  Yet, I'll bet you use more than a mouthful! > Maybe even one of those folks who lets the water run WHILE they > are brushing?
What kind of asshole leaves the water running while they brush their teeth?! I've never done this. If the morning after a first date I was at the home of a woman who did this while brushing her teeth I would leave it sounds like a decent indicator of psychopathy, she probably keeps old rusty knives and severed dolls heads under the bed.
Fred Bloggs <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> writes:
> So there's a minor detail of this place being a "shop" and not a
There's a major detail of being in my basement, which I mentioned multiple times, but ok. Being a "shop" is the reason (tools), not the cause (construction). I think most houses should have a 24/7 dehumidifier in the basement to prevent mold and mildew, at least in this part of the world (New England).
> Was going to say if you have to run the dehumidifier 24/7,
It's "on" 24/7 (I have an external drain on it). It only runs when the humidity is too high. It typically doesn't need to do anything in the winter, which I mentioned, and we're between seasons, which I mentioned. "between seasons" here means rain, so outside is 90% or higher humidity, but cooler than room temperature (currently: 59F 92%). All this means that the geothermal is not running (neither heating nor cooling) but the dehumidifier is, and as a side effect, the basement is slightly warmer than normal.
> the construction is cheap with major air leaks and other means of > moisture infiltration.
When we had geothermal installed, the house was tested. It was so tight they recommended a fresh air exchanger. We built the house ourselves and it's definitely not cheaply built. Of course, it's not my place to tell you what to believe ;-)
On 2021/10/05 7:18 a.m., jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 20:00:43 -0700, John Robertson <spam@flippers.com> > wrote: > >> >> On 2021/10/04 2:55 p.m., Rick C wrote: >>> On Monday, October 4, 2021 at 2:57:25 PM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote: >>>> On 2021/10/04 12:30 a.m., Rick C wrote: >>>>> The dryer here seems to be plugged into a 120V outlet. It's also on an extension cord. Anyone see anything like that before? >>>>> >>>>> I suppose it's actually a 240V connector which is the same size as a standard 120V connector but having one or more pins turned 90 degrees. Still, those aren't very high current. >>>>> >>>> 26 of them at Home Depot: >>>> >>>> https://www.homedepot.com/b/Appliances-Washers-Dryers-Dryers-Electric-Dryers/120-volt/N-5yc1vZc3q1Z1z17ja4 >>> >>> This one says 15 amps, so it requires a 20 amp circuit? Or are they specifying the circuit capacity? They are not at all clear on the electrical requirement, but they give tons of info on running the duct! Nothing about the connector. But they do say the power cord is included! Just no details on what to plug it into. >>> >> >> 20Amps would be fine, however if the machine is rated at 15A and the >> outlet is the only connection to the breaker then a 15A breaker should >> work. >> >> Treat it like a refrigerator, only a single (not duplex) outlet that >> only goes to a single breaker - either 15A or 20A. >> >> If unsure check with your local electrical codes, my advice is not as a >> certified Electrician, merely a home electrician who always reads the >> electrical code books for my province (or state in the USA) when doing >> work in my home. >> >> John :-#)# > > I've read the San Francisco electrical code. I've never met a licensed > electrician who has. >
Do electronic hardware engineers follow and standards/codes of practice? I don't know if they have a standardization setup similar to software designers - so please treat this as a neutral question. If there is some sort of ISO how many hardware engineers follow them? It is disturbing if SF licenced electricians don't follow code - assuming the SF code was been drawn up by electrical engineers and not bureaucrats that is... John :-#)#
On Tuesday, October 5, 2021 at 11:01:58 AM UTC-4, DJ Delorie wrote:
> Fred Bloggs <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> writes: > > So there's a minor detail of this place being a "shop" and not a > There's a major detail of being in my basement, which I mentioned > multiple times, but ok. Being a "shop" is the reason (tools), not the > cause (construction). I think most houses should have a 24/7 > dehumidifier in the basement to prevent mold and mildew, at least in > this part of the world (New England). > > Was going to say if you have to run the dehumidifier 24/7, > It's "on" 24/7 (I have an external drain on it). It only runs when the > humidity is too high. It typically doesn't need to do anything in the > winter, which I mentioned, and we're between seasons, which I mentioned. > "between seasons" here means rain, so outside is 90% or higher humidity, > but cooler than room temperature (currently: 59F 92%). > > All this means that the geothermal is not running (neither heating nor > cooling) but the dehumidifier is, and as a side effect, the basement is > slightly warmer than normal. > > the construction is cheap with major air leaks and other means of > > moisture infiltration. > When we had geothermal installed, the house was tested. It was so tight > they recommended a fresh air exchanger. We built the house ourselves > and it's definitely not cheaply built.
Then you have moisture permeating the basement walls and or floor. Did you install a french drain down to the footer level (and pump the water to daylight away from the house), waterproof the exterior of the basement walls, and use a water/vapor under the concrete slab? Omit just one of these and you end up with a problem.
On Monday, October 4, 2021 at 7:03:04 PM UTC-4, lang...@fonz.dk wrote:
> tirsdag den 5. oktober 2021 kl. 00.38.00 UTC+2 skrev gnuarm.del...@gmail.com: > > On Monday, October 4, 2021 at 5:39:06 PM UTC-4, lang...@fonz.dk wrote: > > > mandag den 4. oktober 2021 kl. 23.22.19 UTC+2 skrev gnuarm.del...@gmail.com: > > > > On Monday, October 4, 2021 at 1:33:34 PM UTC-4, lang...@fonz.dk wrote: > > > > > mandag den 4. oktober 2021 kl. 19.27.55 UTC+2 skrev bitrex: > > > > > > On 10/4/2021 4:55 AM, Sylvia Else wrote: > > > > > > > On 04-Oct-21 7:27 pm, Rob wrote: > > > > > > >> Rick C <gnuarm.del...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > > > >>> The dryer here seems to be plugged into a 120V outlet. It's also on > > > > > > >>> an extension cord. Anyone see anything like that before? > > > > > > >>> > > > > > > >>> I suppose it's actually a 240V connector which is the same size as a > > > > > > >>> standard 120V connector but having one or more pins turned 90 > > > > > > >>> degrees. Still, those aren't very high current. > > > > > > >> > > > > > > >> Over here in Europe we have clothes dryers that use heat pumping > > > > > > >> instead of electric heating. They use like 700-1000W of power so > > > > > > >> they could easily work from a standard 120V socket. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > They no doubt save energy, but at what cost? They don't sound economic. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Sylvia. > > > > > > They make these portable dishwashers also, you can wash literally about > > > > > > 5 dishes in them: > > > > > > > > > > > > <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttYboBVP0EE> > > > > > > > > > > > > I'm not so un-ameniable to "women's work" that I can't hand-wash 5 > > > > > > dishes and some knives and forks. Loading and programming the machine > > > > > > probably takes longer, anyway. > > > > > but it saves water and things get cleaner .. > > > > It saves how much water...? You can only save what is being used by hand washing which isn't much for five plates and some silver. If hand washing gets them clean, how can the washer get them "cleaner"? Is this like a volume control that goes to 11? > > > > > > > do you have a dishwasher? try it > > Try what? How do I measure the water the dishwasher uses??? > afaik it is required to use less than 5 gallons, EnergyStar ~3 gallons > those who tried it came to the conclusion that doing the same load by hand take 5-10 times as much
There's your point of confusion, different contexts. "hand-wash 5 dishes and some knives and forks". Now do you understand? Someone living single doesn't wait a couple of weeks to wash a full load of dishes and utensils and probably doesn't have much in the way of pots. It doesn't take many pots to pour a bowl of cereal or microwave popcorn.
> and the water is hotter and the detergent more effective so the dishes get cleaner
How do they get more clean than clean? If you are pulled over and a cop asks you to pull over, what do you do, pull over more? What does that mean? (Supertroopers) I'm gonna need that $130 when you can get it. -- Rick C. -+-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging -+-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
On Monday, 4 October 2021 at 15:52:31 UTC+1, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

> A clothes dryer is far more convenient than a clothesline or a fan, > and de-wrinkles stuff.
Dewrinkles, yes. But they're more hassle than not using one. When not using one, just hang the clothes up in the usual way (closet, wardrobe, whatever) and press the fan ON switch. Driers add the steps of loading & unloading the drier. The other thing is that tumble driers ruin clothes. Where do you think that lint comes from?
> A heat pump clothes dryer sounds over-the-top to me. One of those > won't reduce global temperature by a picokelvin. And has refrigerent > inside. > > To Save The Earth, shower and wash your clothes less often. Eat more > raw veggies that you grow yourself.
neither would have any real effect on starvation, the earth's number 1 problem.
On 10/5/2021 7:14 AM, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
>> Not big surprise women eventually got tired of it... > > The big liberating factor, for men and for women, was technology, > specifically electric power. While the women were doing housework and > minding kids (with no public schools to help) the men were plowing and > digging and hauling, with maybe an animal to help if they could afford > one.
Yet the time spent doing housework is unchanged in 100 years. So much for "technology"!
On Monday, 4 October 2021 at 18:03:49 UTC+1, Ralph Mowery wrote:
> In article <in5mlgdtkmtcpjrqj...@4ax.com>, > jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com says... > > > > Do the heat pumps also de-humidify?
> Only if in a cooling mode. If in the heating mode, they do not.
I almost said the same, but raising air temp does reduce RH. It doesn't however remove any water.
On Monday, 4 October 2021 at 19:41:14 UTC+1, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> On Monday, October 4, 2021 at 1:54:25 PM UTC-4, DJ Delorie wrote: > > Ralph Mowery <rmow...@charter.net> writes:
> > > Only if in a cooling mode. If in the heating mode, they do not. > > With the singular exception of portable dehumidifiers, which are heat > > pumps but both sides are in the same box - the cooling side dries the > > air, and the heating side heats is back up. Net result including waste > > heat - warmer, drier, air.
> Dehumidifiers are not heat pumps.
most are
> They're more like air conditioners than anything else.
which are mostly heat pumps
> Air is drawn through the 32o cooling coil to condense the moisture. From there it is blown through the condensor coil to bring it back up to its original temperature. This keeps net air temperature unchanged.
it's raised by the electricity consumed
> Many of the central air/ heating systems have the same feature if selected by the user. They run the A/C for dehumidification and also the electtic backup heater to bring the air temperature back up to comfort levels. This is under thermostat control, and it only runs the backup heat this way when the air temperature is below the A/C setpoint. > > > > I'll add the pedantic note that the same amount of moisture in warmer > > air is a lower RELATIVE humidity (duh, if you think about it) so a > > pedant COULD claim that a heater makes the air "less humid" while not > > actually de-humidifying. > > > > To answer the original question - we had a 120v dryer in our first > > apartment; it was very small and took forever to dry anything. It was > > the first appliance against the wall when the revolution came.
> Was gonna say, plan on 90 minute cycle times. That type of dryer is only for people who live in compact dwelling and have no alternative. Otherwise- no way.
why would anyone need faster than 90 minute dry times? 24hour drying works fine here.