Forums

Can you run LTspice on a cellphone?

Started by Steve Wilson June 11, 2021
On 06/12/2021 03:46 AM, Steve Wilson wrote:
> A google search shows a number of ways of running MS programs on android > cellphones. One method suggests running Wine, then you can load whatever EXE > desired. > > Has anyone been able to run LTspice on android? How did you do it, and how > well does it work? > > Thanks, > > >
Wine runs natively, so it'll need some x86 underneath. It's also the reason you can't use the newer windows stuff on 32 bit systems.
On 6/14/2021 4:46 PM, Johann Klammer wrote:
> On 06/12/2021 03:46 AM, Steve Wilson wrote: >> A google search shows a number of ways of running MS programs on android >> cellphones. One method suggests running Wine, then you can load whatever EXE >> desired. >> >> Has anyone been able to run LTspice on android? How did you do it, and how >> well does it work? >> >> Thanks, >> >> >> > Wine runs natively, so it'll need some x86 underneath. > It's also the reason you can't use the newer windows > stuff on 32 bit systems. >
As of Wine 3.0 (mid 2019) Wine supports running Windows apps on Android. Someone should check it out!
On 6/14/2021 5:11 PM, bitrex wrote:
> On 6/14/2021 4:46 PM, Johann Klammer wrote: >> On 06/12/2021 03:46 AM, Steve Wilson wrote: >>> A google search shows a number of ways of running MS programs on android >>> cellphones. One method suggests running Wine, then you can load >>> whatever EXE >>> desired. >>> >>> Has anyone been able to run LTspice on android? How did you do it, >>> and how >>> well does it work? >>> >>> Thanks, >>> >>> >>> >> Wine runs natively, so it'll need some x86 underneath. >> It's also the reason you can't use the newer windows >> stuff on 32 bit systems. >> > > As of Wine 3.0 (mid 2019) Wine supports running Windows apps on Android. > Someone should check it out!
Forgot to add, it's only for Android for x86-based mobile devices, for the reasons given
BTW... There's a reasonably active Android group...

comp.mobile.android

Doubtful they would know anything about running electronics design software, 
but who knows.
mandag den 14. juni 2021 kl. 23.15.42 UTC+2 skrev bitrex:
> On 6/14/2021 5:11 PM, bitrex wrote: > > On 6/14/2021 4:46 PM, Johann Klammer wrote: > >> On 06/12/2021 03:46 AM, Steve Wilson wrote: > >>> A google search shows a number of ways of running MS programs on android > >>> cellphones. One method suggests running Wine, then you can load > >>> whatever EXE > >>> desired. > >>> > >>> Has anyone been able to run LTspice on android? How did you do it, > >>> and how > >>> well does it work? > >>> > >>> Thanks, > >>> > >>> > >>> > >> Wine runs natively, so it'll need some x86 underneath. > >> It's also the reason you can't use the newer windows > >> stuff on 32 bit systems. > >> > > > > As of Wine 3.0 (mid 2019) Wine supports running Windows apps on Android. > > Someone should check it out! > Forgot to add, it's only for Android for x86-based mobile devices, for > the reasons given
aren't they extremely rare?
On 6/12/2021 11:40 PM, Don Y wrote:
> On 6/12/2021 8:13 PM, Steve Wilson wrote: >> Lasse Langwadt Christensen <langwadt@fonz.dk> wrote: >> >>> l&Atilde;&cedil;rdag den 12. juni 2021 kl. 05.52.14 UTC+2 skrev Ed Lee: >>>> On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 6:46:33 PM UTC-7, Steve Wilson wrote: >>>>> A google search shows a number of ways of running MS programs on >>>>> android&nbsp; cellphones. One method suggests running Wine, then you can >>>>> load whatever EXE&nbsp; desired. >>>> Android runs Java. I don't think WinE works on Java. >>> you don't have to run java on android, it is basically linux. But there >>> are very few if any cellphones with a an x86 cpu >> >> Android runs ARM, which emulates X86. Obviously a bit slower, but it >> works. > > Huh?&nbsp; There are android ports that run *on* ARM > but, AFAICT, not a practical x86 emulator HOSTED on ARM. > The architectures are very different. > > Does anyone have a Bochs port to ARM?&nbsp; Bochs on ARM Android. > Then, x86 Windows on Bochs?&nbsp; Then LTspice on Windows? > > It seems like it would be easier to port an FOSS spice-alike > directly to Java (and run it on any Java platform)
Windows-on-ARM devices like the Surface Pro can already run some 32 bit x86 applications and 64 bit x86 support is "coming soon", along with some ARM-based Windows-10-for-mobile smartphones that should be able to run 64 bit Win 10 apps... There are a few x86-based smartphones like the Asus Zenphone still available using the 32 bit Intel Atom processor that might be able to run the i386 LTSpice using Wine 3.0, unfortunately for Intel the Atom was a bit of a dud as a mobile processor.
On 6/14/2021 5:28 PM, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote:
> mandag den 14. juni 2021 kl. 23.15.42 UTC+2 skrev bitrex: >> On 6/14/2021 5:11 PM, bitrex wrote: >>> On 6/14/2021 4:46 PM, Johann Klammer wrote: >>>> On 06/12/2021 03:46 AM, Steve Wilson wrote: >>>>> A google search shows a number of ways of running MS programs on android >>>>> cellphones. One method suggests running Wine, then you can load >>>>> whatever EXE >>>>> desired. >>>>> >>>>> Has anyone been able to run LTspice on android? How did you do it, >>>>> and how >>>>> well does it work? >>>>> >>>>> Thanks, >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>> Wine runs natively, so it'll need some x86 underneath. >>>> It's also the reason you can't use the newer windows >>>> stuff on 32 bit systems. >>>> >>> >>> As of Wine 3.0 (mid 2019) Wine supports running Windows apps on Android. >>> Someone should check it out! >> Forgot to add, it's only for Android for x86-based mobile devices, for >> the reasons given > > aren't they extremely rare? >
Asus Zenphone seems to have been the most well-known type from a few years back. Anything Intel Atom should work though, which while unpopular for smartphones now (ok, never really was..) still seems to be used a fair amount in various cheap tablets and other mobile widgets mostly for market in the 3rd world <https://www.amazon.com/Windows-Fusion5-FWIN232-Quad-core-Bluetooth/dp/B07HY8X46F/> Wine 3.0 on the Android-x86 port might let you run LT on that thing, Windows 10S only lets you run Microsoft Store apps no 3rd party. I doubt trying to install any full version of Windows would fly. Also any ChromeOS device using say an Intel Celeron under-the-hood with the Chrome ARC like many Chromebooks and Chrome OS tablets etc should work, like the relatively cheap Acer Spin: <https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromebook-Convertible-Bluetooth-CP311-2H-C679/dp/B086MBQKH2/> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_App_Runtime_for_Chrome>
On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 01:46:28 -0000 (UTC), Steve Wilson
<spamme@not.com> wrote:

>A google search shows a number of ways of running MS programs on android >cellphones. One method suggests running Wine, then you can load whatever EXE >desired. > >Has anyone been able to run LTspice on android? How did you do it, and how >well does it work? > >Thanks,
If you can't get LTspice to run on your Android smartphone, some alternatives: CircuitSafari SPICE Simulator (Early Access) <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.logipipe.circuitsafari> Spice Circuit <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hakasoft.SpiceCirc> WeSpice <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.lindentree.wespicedemo> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.lindentree.wespice> There are also web apps, that run in a browser window: Partsim <https://www.partsim.com> Multisim <https://www.multisim.com> -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com PO Box 272 http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272 Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
On 06/15/2021 12:34 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 01:46:28 -0000 (UTC), Steve Wilson > <spamme@not.com> wrote: > >> A google search shows a number of ways of running MS programs on android >> cellphones. One method suggests running Wine, then you can load whatever EXE >> desired. >> >> Has anyone been able to run LTspice on android? How did you do it, and how >> well does it work? >> >> Thanks, > > If you can't get LTspice to run on your Android smartphone, some > alternatives: > > CircuitSafari SPICE Simulator (Early Access) > <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.logipipe.circuitsafari> > > Spice Circuit > <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hakasoft.SpiceCirc> > > WeSpice > <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.lindentree.wespicedemo> > <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.lindentree.wespice> > > There are also web apps, that run in a browser window: > > Partsim > <https://www.partsim.com> > > Multisim > <https://www.multisim.com> > >
https://ptolemy.berkeley.edu/projects/embedded/pubs/downloads/spice/
Johann Klammer <klammerj@NOSPAM.a1.net> wrote:

> On 06/12/2021 03:46 AM, Steve Wilson wrote: >> A google search shows a number of ways of running MS programs on >> android cellphones. One method suggests running Wine, then you can load >> whatever EXE desired. >> >> Has anyone been able to run LTspice on android? How did you do it, and >> how well does it work? >> >> Thanks, >> >> >> > Wine runs natively, so it'll need some x86 underneath. > It's also the reason you can't use the newer windows > stuff on 32 bit systems.
Android runs ARM. It emulates X86 to run Wine: https://www.google.ca/search?q=run+wine+on+android -- The best designs occur in the theta state. - sw