Forums

GaN With the Wind

Started by Unknown June 21, 2020
mandag den 22. juni 2020 kl. 19.34.21 UTC+2 skrev Jeroen Belleman:
> On 2020-06-22 17:51, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote: > >[...] > > I wasn't happy with my PCBWAY board. Resolution and registration were > > bad, and they didn't read my stackup specs. Their default 4-layer > > stack has *four mils* of dielectric between layers 1 and 2, and > > between 3 and 4. That is really nasty. That stack is common in cheap > > chinese proto houses. > > That's nasty indeed. Who'd use a stackup like that?
people that want 100R differential for e.g. LVDS with a track width that works with BGA
Am 22.06.20 um 19:34 schrieb Jeroen Belleman:
> On 2020-06-22 17:51, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote: >> [...] >> I wasn't happy with my PCBWAY board. Resolution and registration were >> bad, and they didn't read my stackup specs. Their default 4-layer >> stack has *four mils* of dielectric between layers 1 and 2, and >> between 3 and 4. That is really nasty. That stack is common in cheap >> chinese proto houses. > > That's nasty indeed. Who'd use a stackup like that? > > Jeroen Belleman
Someone who wants narrow microstrips on the top level? In fact, I'm just asking a local board maker for sth. similar, with the middle of the stack made from thick FR4 for stability and on the outside thin Rogers 4003 or whatever for thin micro- strips and low radiation loss at 10 GHz. It looks like the eval board of the ADF5356 has a similar stack, just from visually inspecting the milled sides. Up to now I had no single problem with PCBWAY other than that they use DHL express which leads to some fee f*cking here in .de and constant trouble with the customs in Leipzig. I did not let them make multilayers up to now. I made a test run with JLCPCB, they have now a proxy man here in .de. That adds theoretically 2 days or so, but the proxy handles the customs which may result in an speedup over all. The proxy gets a pack with the daily production for the EU and relays it per local mail with a new tracking number. It is now technically an inland buy, they collect the local VAT in advance. Works nicely. Gerhard
On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 11:50:17 PM UTC-4, George Herold wrote:
> On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 9:58:56 PM UTC-4, dagmarg...@yahoo.com wrote: > > On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 9:28:28 PM UTC-4, George Herold wrote: > > > On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 7:32:35 PM UTC-4, dagmarg...@yahoo.com wrote: > > > > As I design yet another little switcher, I notice it's getting > > > > more and more tempting to swap ye olde MOS FET for a shiny > > > > new GaN-speck. > > > > > > > > Electrically superior in almost every respect, the GaN FETs' > > > > drawbacks are thermal (not a problem in this case), and their > > > > tee-nine-sie .9x.9mm bare-chip packages. > > > > > > > > e.g. > > > > T.I. CSD19831Q3: 100V, Rds(on)=50mohm, Cin=350pF, Coss=70pF, Crss=13pF > > > > EPC EPC2036: 100V, Rds(on)~=60mohm, Cin=43pF, Coss=25pF, Crss<1pF > > > > > > > > I re-worked a chip-scale part with hot air and a hot plate by hand. > > > > Took me a zillion tries to get it done--that was a nuisance. > > > I assume you have a good microscope/ viewer. > > > Is the problem needing tiny tools/ manipulators? > > > > > > George H. > > > > I don't have a microscope & haven't needed one. I just did it > > caveman-style. (Are we still allowed to say 'caveman'?) > Oh! James on someones advice here, I bought a ~$70 dollar > chinese 'viewer' single fairly long range microscope > and lcd view screen above. I tried some fine (for me) > soldering with blue wire wrap wire (30 mil?) > Anyway it's totally worth it. > At maximum focus there's about a 1" working distance. > (max focus is reported to be x1k... I measured around > that (with big error bars.. too lazy to get calipers > from shop.) I'll have to look back to find the > brand name if you have interest. > I only says 'microscope' on the outside and when I turn it on. > (I can give you the version number :^) > > George H. > > If I search SED for tardigrade, I can probably find it.
I know microscopes are helpful and good, but this isn't something have ever done, do, or ever will do on a regular basis. I've done it exactly once. So I used an electric fryer pan for the pre-heat and a $35 eBay hot air station (it's very good, actually), tinned the pads with good 'ol leaded wire solder, then dabbed some liquid flux-specks on top. How does one mount one's microscope on an electric frying pan? Sure, I could've ordered all the orthodox supplies, waited, then used them, once. But it was faster just to blast ahead with what I had on hand. Cheers, James Arthur
On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 1:34:21 PM UTC-4, Jeroen Belleman wrote:
> On 2020-06-22 17:51, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote: > >[...] > > I wasn't happy with my PCBWAY board. Resolution and registration were > > bad, and they didn't read my stackup specs. Their default 4-layer > > stack has *four mils* of dielectric between layers 1 and 2, and > > between 3 and 4. That is really nasty. That stack is common in cheap > > chinese proto houses. > > That's nasty indeed. Who'd use a stackup like that? > > Jeroen Belleman
I might! Just two days ago I was calculating how much capacitance I could squeeze out of a PCB pour. Consulting my calculator, 0,1mm spacing and 5 x 5cm gets me 97nF with just 100 layers' stackup :) Cheers, James Arthur
On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 4:12:35 AM UTC-4, Gerhard Hoffmann wrote:
> Am 22.06.20 um 01:32 schrieb dagmargoodboat@yahoo.com: > > As I design yet another little switcher, I notice it's getting > > more and more tempting to swap ye olde MOS FET for a shiny > > new GaN-speck. > > > > Electrically superior in almost every respect, the GaN FETs' > > drawbacks are thermal (not a problem in this case), and their > > tee-nine-sie .9x.9mm bare-chip packages. > > > > e.g. > > T.I. CSD19831Q3: 100V, Rds(on)=50mohm, Cin=350pF, Coss=70pF, Crss=13pF > > EPC EPC2036: 100V, Rds(on)~=60mohm, Cin=43pF, Coss=25pF, Crss<1pF > > > > I re-worked a chip-scale part with hot air and a hot plate by hand. > > Took me a zillion tries to get it done--that was a nuisance. > > > I was more lucky. My first 2 tries worked immediately with just a > little bit of hot air. Very little, or they fly away. > That was a test structure from a corner of a larger board made > by PCBWAY. HAL, I removed the excess tin with some unsolder braid > and used paste then. > PCBWAY spotted the mask on the pad as designed by EPC's Altium example. > Worked after declaring it OK. > > > < > https://www.flickr.com/photos/137684711@N07/50032925082/in/dateposted-public/ > > > between the 4 1210 caps and the 2 fat vias. > > > cheers, Gerhard
That's a nice picture. Paste would've helped my misadventure quite a lot. One of the most annoying problems was that I was hand-applying solder to the board's pads, then adding liquid flux, before stacking the die on top. But it's quite impossible to tin precisely equally-tall bumps onto those tiny pads at these scales, so when you'd go to place the die on top, the uneven bumps would hold the die at a slanted angle, ready to fall off, slide sideways, or blow away in the hot air. Any number of times instead of being drawn into self-alignment by the reflow surface tension, the part was pulled off-alignment to a position shorting the pads, instead. (On the plus side, the uneven bumps made it easy to see when the solder had successfully melted.) If I'm going to be prototyping with these nifty GaN FETs I may have to cave and get the "real" supplies. But it's super wasteful, since doing this once a year, they'd go bad each time before I'd use them again. Cheers, James Arthur
  > How does one mount one's microscope on an electric frying pan?
 
> Cheers, > James Arthur
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/618WU1G-jQL._SL1500_.jpg Use an expensive offset microscope mount, or be lucky to find something in surplus , modify it and add an LED ring lamp. Surgeons might use head-mounted arrangement with probe+cam+viewer or a heads up display. With 10x view it becomes 10x easier but you need even more light due to lens loss. So you did well on your own.
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 11:36:16 -0700 (PDT), dagmargoodboat@yahoo.com
wrote:

>On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 11:50:17 PM UTC-4, George Herold wrote: >> On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 9:58:56 PM UTC-4, dagmarg...@yahoo.com wrote: >> > On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 9:28:28 PM UTC-4, George Herold wrote: >> > > On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 7:32:35 PM UTC-4, dagmarg...@yahoo.com wrote: >> > > > As I design yet another little switcher, I notice it's getting >> > > > more and more tempting to swap ye olde MOS FET for a shiny >> > > > new GaN-speck. >> > > > >> > > > Electrically superior in almost every respect, the GaN FETs' >> > > > drawbacks are thermal (not a problem in this case), and their >> > > > tee-nine-sie .9x.9mm bare-chip packages. >> > > > >> > > > e.g. >> > > > T.I. CSD19831Q3: 100V, Rds(on)=50mohm, Cin=350pF, Coss=70pF, Crss=13pF >> > > > EPC EPC2036: 100V, Rds(on)~=60mohm, Cin=43pF, Coss=25pF, Crss<1pF >> > > > >> > > > I re-worked a chip-scale part with hot air and a hot plate by hand. >> > > > Took me a zillion tries to get it done--that was a nuisance. >> > > I assume you have a good microscope/ viewer. >> > > Is the problem needing tiny tools/ manipulators? >> > > >> > > George H. >> > >> > I don't have a microscope & haven't needed one. I just did it >> > caveman-style. (Are we still allowed to say 'caveman'?) >> Oh! James on someones advice here, I bought a ~$70 dollar >> chinese 'viewer' single fairly long range microscope >> and lcd view screen above. I tried some fine (for me) >> soldering with blue wire wrap wire (30 mil?) >> Anyway it's totally worth it. >> At maximum focus there's about a 1" working distance. >> (max focus is reported to be x1k... I measured around >> that (with big error bars.. too lazy to get calipers >> from shop.) I'll have to look back to find the >> brand name if you have interest. >> I only says 'microscope' on the outside and when I turn it on. >> (I can give you the version number :^) >> >> George H. >> >> If I search SED for tardigrade, I can probably find it. > >I know microscopes are helpful and good, but this isn't something >have ever done, do, or ever will do on a regular basis. I've done >it exactly once.
My Mantis is one of my favorite things. Makes me feel like an eagle flying all over, looking for mice or whatever.
> >So I used an electric fryer pan for the pre-heat and a $35 eBay >hot air station (it's very good, actually), tinned the pads with >good 'ol leaded wire solder, then dabbed some liquid flux-specks >on top. How does one mount one's microscope on an electric >frying pan?
The Mantis can do things like that. I use it to peep at tiny parts on a board, still in a rackmount box. It's great for avoiding probe slips too. https://www.dropbox.com/s/jsjkdjs9jw742ea/Bench_Mantis.jpg?raw=1 -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com http://www.highlandtechnology.com
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 11:54:30 -0700 (PDT), dagmargoodboat@yahoo.com
wrote:

>On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 1:34:21 PM UTC-4, Jeroen Belleman wrote: >> On 2020-06-22 17:51, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote: >> >[...] >> > I wasn't happy with my PCBWAY board. Resolution and registration were >> > bad, and they didn't read my stackup specs. Their default 4-layer >> > stack has *four mils* of dielectric between layers 1 and 2, and >> > between 3 and 4. That is really nasty. That stack is common in cheap >> > chinese proto houses. >> >> That's nasty indeed. Who'd use a stackup like that? >> >> Jeroen Belleman > >I might! Just two days ago I was calculating how much capacitance I >could squeeze out of a PCB pour. Consulting my calculator, 0,1mm spacing >and 5 x 5cm gets me 97nF with just 100 layers' stackup :) > >Cheers, >James Arthur
Figure a tempco ballpark +900 PPM. And a lot of nasty DA. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com http://www.highlandtechnology.com
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 12:05:51 -0700 (PDT), dagmargoodboat@yahoo.com
wrote:

>On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 4:12:35 AM UTC-4, Gerhard Hoffmann wrote: >> Am 22.06.20 um 01:32 schrieb dagmargoodboat@yahoo.com: >> > As I design yet another little switcher, I notice it's getting >> > more and more tempting to swap ye olde MOS FET for a shiny >> > new GaN-speck. >> > >> > Electrically superior in almost every respect, the GaN FETs' >> > drawbacks are thermal (not a problem in this case), and their >> > tee-nine-sie .9x.9mm bare-chip packages. >> > >> > e.g. >> > T.I. CSD19831Q3: 100V, Rds(on)=50mohm, Cin=350pF, Coss=70pF, Crss=13pF >> > EPC EPC2036: 100V, Rds(on)~=60mohm, Cin=43pF, Coss=25pF, Crss<1pF >> > >> > I re-worked a chip-scale part with hot air and a hot plate by hand. >> > Took me a zillion tries to get it done--that was a nuisance. >> >> >> I was more lucky. My first 2 tries worked immediately with just a >> little bit of hot air. Very little, or they fly away. >> That was a test structure from a corner of a larger board made >> by PCBWAY. HAL, I removed the excess tin with some unsolder braid >> and used paste then. >> PCBWAY spotted the mask on the pad as designed by EPC's Altium example. >> Worked after declaring it OK. >> >> >> < >> https://www.flickr.com/photos/137684711@N07/50032925082/in/dateposted-public/ >> > >> between the 4 1210 caps and the 2 fat vias. >> >> >> cheers, Gerhard > >That's a nice picture. > >Paste would've helped my misadventure quite a lot. > >One of the most annoying problems was that I was hand-applying >solder to the board's pads, then adding liquid flux, before >stacking the die on top. But it's quite impossible to tin precisely >equally-tall bumps onto those tiny pads at these scales, so when you'd >go to place the die on top, the uneven bumps would hold the die at >a slanted angle, ready to fall off, slide sideways, or blow away in >the hot air. > >Any number of times instead of being drawn into self-alignment by >the reflow surface tension, the part was pulled off-alignment to a >position shorting the pads, instead. > >(On the plus side, the uneven bumps made it easy to see when the >solder had successfully melted.) > >If I'm going to be prototyping with these nifty GaN FETs I may have >to cave and get the "real" supplies. But it's super wasteful, since >doing this once a year, they'd go bad each time before I'd use them >again. > > >Cheers, >James Arthur
We made our own eval boards to test the parts. It's amazing that EPC doesn't. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com http://www.highlandtechnology.com
On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 3:31:29 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 11:54:30 -0700 (PDT), dagmargoodboat@yahoo.com > wrote: > > >On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 1:34:21 PM UTC-4, Jeroen Belleman wrote: > >> On 2020-06-22 17:51, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote: > >> >[...] > >> > I wasn't happy with my PCBWAY board. Resolution and registration were > >> > bad, and they didn't read my stackup specs. Their default 4-layer > >> > stack has *four mils* of dielectric between layers 1 and 2, and > >> > between 3 and 4. That is really nasty. That stack is common in cheap > >> > chinese proto houses. > >> > >> That's nasty indeed. Who'd use a stackup like that? > >> > >> Jeroen Belleman > > > >I might! Just two days ago I was calculating how much capacitance I > >could squeeze out of a PCB pour. Consulting my calculator, 0,1mm spacing > >and 5 x 5cm gets me 97nF with just 100 layers' stackup :) > > > >Cheers, > >James Arthur > > Figure a tempco ballpark +900 PPM. And a lot of nasty DA.
I need amps at kV in <1 ns, that's the appeal. I like the DA -- DA = damping, which is a plus. But the '100 layers' part is admittedly, <cough>, a slight inconvenience. Grins, James