Thick/fat/adapter/cylinder like section on HDMI cable ? What is it ? What does it do ?

Started by Unknown December 6, 2018
jurb6006@gmail.com wrote in

> This guy takes things apart ? Sounds like a "tech' I used to work > with.
You are an idiot. The dumb ass is NOTHING like 'a tech'. He can't even grasp a fucking ferrite bead without mucking up a Usenet news group with off topic baby bullshit. And as long as he has been fucking things up by 'taking things apart', one would think he would have come across a fucking EMI trap before. Let alone the way he blames everything but himself for the stupid shit he does to break his gear. One's A/V Receiver does NOT output ANY HDMI signals that would damage ANY video card. He is a clueless twerp, and ranks only a couple rungs below you.
jurb6006@gmail.com wrote in

>>"Do you know what a model AB 619 Bead Capacitor is? If not, the >>joke went over your head too. " > > Simple. It is a device installed by accountants to comply with > Clinton era regulations. All countries must comply because the US > is the boss of the world. Just ask the banks when you try to open > an account in a foreign county. >
If I had an Interocitor, I would fry dipshits like you with it. It even went over your head. Wow... and you claim to be a teacher. Sure, bub.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead And thank you for a reasonable question.
On 06/12/18 23:57, skybuck2000@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hello, > > The "high speed hdmi with ethernet cable" I bought looks something like this: > > https://www.cmple.com/learn/hdmi-cables-28awg
Just over halfway down that page it states: "Shielding All the cables have PVC shielding that reduces electromagnetic and radio frequency interference, proving distortion free digital signals." How does PVC do that? -- Jeff
I dunno, Robbie might be able to fix it, but he was in the wrong movie. There was at least one jukebox manufacturer who liked science fiction film: https://www.flippers.com/images/Seeburg-CD-1_JukeboxSilver-Prop.JPG John ;-#)#
On 2018/12/07 8:22 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 06/12/18 23:57, skybuck2000@hotmail.com wrote: >> Hello, >> >> The "high speed hdmi with ethernet cable" I bought looks something >> like this: >> >> https://www.cmple.com/learn/hdmi-cables-28awg > > Just over halfway down that page it states: > > "Shielding > > All the cables have PVC shielding that reduces electromagnetic and radio > frequency interference, proving distortion free digital signals." > > How does PVC do that? >
Obviously magic is involved, like magic smoke... as in don't let the magic smoke out! John ;-#)#
On 7/12/2018 8:58 pm, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:
> jurb6006@gmail.com wrote in > news:45e23305-c3f8-4b02-9b96-896edd6446eb@googlegroups.com: > >> This guy takes things apart ? Sounds like a "tech' I used to work >> with. > > You are an idiot. The dumb ass is NOTHING like 'a tech'. > > He can't even grasp a fucking ferrite bead without mucking up a > Usenet news group with off topic baby bullshit. > > And as long as he has been fucking things up by 'taking things > apart', one would think he would have come across a fucking EMI trap > before. > > Let alone the way he blames everything but himself for the stupid > shit he does to break his gear. > > One's A/V Receiver does NOT output ANY HDMI signals that would damage > ANY video card. > > He is a clueless twerp, and ranks only a couple rungs below you. >
Say Bro, You just back from PR school or something ?? A legend in your own mind ??
On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 15:57:05 -0800 (PST), skybuck2000@hotmail.com
wrote:

>The "high speed hdmi with ethernet cable" I bought looks something like this: >https://www.cmple.com/learn/hdmi-cables-28awg >What I want to know is what are these very thick sections on this cable ?
Those two lumps are to protect the fragile connectors. If you drop the cable onto the floor, these thick lumps in the cable will hit the floor first, thus protecting the connector from impact damage. If you step on the connector, the thick bumps will cause the connector to bend, instead of break or become flattened. Such thick injection molded PVC parts tend to sag, so the inside is filled with rust (iron oxide) imported from the US "Rust Belt" region. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_Belt> The two rust filled lumps are also useful for reducing unwanted signals, which bounce back and forth between the two lumps until they tire of the game and go elsewhere. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
On Fri, 07 Dec 2018 15:18:19 -0800, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 15:57:05 -0800 (PST), skybuck2000@hotmail.com >wrote: > >>The "high speed hdmi with ethernet cable" I bought looks something like this: >>https://www.cmple.com/learn/hdmi-cables-28awg >>What I want to know is what are these very thick sections on this cable ? > >Those two lumps are to protect the fragile connectors. If you drop >the cable onto the floor, these thick lumps in the cable will hit the >floor first, thus protecting the connector from impact damage. If you >step on the connector, the thick bumps will cause the connector to >bend, instead of break or become flattened. Such thick injection >molded PVC parts tend to sag, so the inside is filled with rust (iron >oxide) imported from the US "Rust Belt" region. ><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_Belt> >The two rust filled lumps are also useful for reducing unwanted >signals, which bounce back and forth between the two lumps until they >tire of the game and go elsewhere.
We recently discovered that some HDMI cables are visually and mechanically symmetric but electrically uni-directional. They have some sort of repeaters/equalizers inside. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yep. Google for "HDMI cable with built in signal booster" <https://www.google.com/search?q=hdmi+cable+with+built+in+signal+booster> They're mostly found in long, 50 to 100ft cables. Besides an amplifier, they also include an equalizer to provide a flat frequency response. These are very much a necessity if you want to go any distance with 4K (or 8K?) video. However, I've never used such a cable and didn't know that they were unidirectional. Whenever I run into a lousy image that seems to be a cable problem, I use an external signal booster or extender. <https://www.startech.com/AV/Extenders/HDMI/HDMI-signal-booster-extender~HDBOOST4K> <https://www.startech.com/AV/Extenders/HDMI/hdmi-amplifier~HDBOOST> There are far more expensive than amplified cables, but offer fewer surprises, work with DisplayPort, and usually work with existing in the wall HDMI wiring. Hopefully, when everything has 802.11ad 60GHz wireless built in, such HDMI kludges will go away. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558