Job posting

Started by Jim Thompson April 8, 2014
edward.ming.lee@gmail.com wrote:

> >> Yep. The specifics of job postings are getting ridiculous. "We want >> a PLL expert for the exact band of 5.0-5.1GHz, used with the magico >> modulo modulation method, and performed the design in the last six >> months." > > May be part of an INS application. They can't hire anyone local, but they > have an international worker that can do the job. Just need a work visa.
Oh, they could hire someone who is local. Or a consultant. But better to dick around some foreigner who wants a green card. It is the American way. One place I worked would interview the dumb asses who thought the job offer was real on Saturday so that nobody could see that shit going on.
Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 09:14:22 -0700, RobertMacy > <robert.a.macy@gmail.com> wrote: > >> On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 08:42:38 -0700, Jim Thompson >> <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@on-my-web-site.com> wrote: >> >>> Job posting... >>> >>> "Synaptics - Phoenix, AZ >>> ... Ph.D. program in E.E. Analog circuit coursework and hands-on lab >>> experience a must Hands-on experience with digital multi-meter, >>> oscilloscope, etc...." >>> >>> Bwahahahaha>:-} >>> >>> ...Jim Thompson >> >> aren't they HQ'd in Santa Clara, CA? > > I don't know, I think so. > >> Jim Tiernan still president? > > I don't know the management structure. > >> >> have you done work for them? > > Yes. The Rochester (NY) group... touch screens. > > I thought the job posting rather hilarious... needed, a PhD, but must > be able to handle a multimeter...>:-} > > ...Jim Thompson
Once upon a time, a long time ago, at SLAC, there was this Physics PHD that literally did not know what an oscilloscope looked like, the difference between a capacitor and a variac, was appalled to discover that TEST EQUIPMENT was necessary as a part of any physics experiment. After he "learned" about the PHAs, coincidence detectors, etc he proceeded to destroy a few hundred thousand dollars worth of electronics. Bottom line, numerous schools teach theory ONLY and give worthless PHDs; NO PRACTICE - not even a hint.
On 08/04/14 23:17, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> On 04/08/2014 04:36 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
>> Yep. The specifics of job postings are getting ridiculous. "We want >> a PLL expert for the exact band of 5.0-5.1GHz, used with the magico >> modulo modulation method, and performed the design in the last six >> months." >> >> ...Jim Thompson >> > That's because they already know who they want to hire, so they > basically take his resume and make it the job posting. Result: only one > qualified candidate, no regulatory worries. >
That was my first thought.
On Wednesday, 9 April 2014 14:49:07 UTC+10, josephkk  wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 13:50:00 -0700, Joerg <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote=
:=20
> >Tim Wescott wrote:=20 > >> On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 08:42:38 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:=20 > >> =20 > >>> Job posting...=20 > >>> > >>> "Synaptics - Phoenix, AZ ... Ph.D. program in E.E. Analog circuit=20 > >>> coursework and hands-on lab experience a must Hands-on experience wit=
h=20
> >> some point he'd casually pick it up and hand it, point-first, to the =
=20
> >> candidate, with a "here".=20 > >> =20 > >> If you grabbed it by the point (which, apparently, many did), your =20 > >> interview was polite and short, and you didn't get hired. =20 > >=20 > >I do similar things when tasked with interviewing people, although on=20 > >the whiteboard instead of with tools. Well, I did place some folks in=20 > >front of a scope and asked them to make something visible without using=
=20
> >the granny button.=20 > >=20 > >Lately when I tried to explain this to a university professor he said > >that's ridiculous. This kind of reaction by people in charge of the next > >generation is the real sad part. Although when candidates wake up at the=
=20
> >point in life where they are inundated with academic demands it's=20 > >usually a bit late to get the hang of practical stuff, at least in the=
=20
> >analog world. >=20 >=20 > It is a problem in the "digital" world as well. Many young engineers hav=
e=20
> far too little understanding of the rather analog aspects of timing=20 > margins, multiple signal skew, jitter, and a myriad other analog type=20 > issues in high speed digital work. PCIe is a study in how that is turned=
=20
> into pre-canned stuff where you just buy the IP for the chip and move on.
Mu version of that story goes back to about 1985. We were designing some co= mplicated digital signal processing, and it looked as if we'd be struggling= to get it fast enough in TTL/CMOS. I said something about doing it in ECL and one of the guys said the places = where he'd seen that done had always run into trouble getting the ECL worki= ng. I said that "that was odd - it had always worked for me". And he said "but = you are basically an analog guy - you are used to coping with messy extra c= onstraints". And it was true. I'd found myself trouble-shooting baulky digital circuits = by checking whether the various bits met the set-up and hold time constrain= ts of subsequent bits - they often didn't. That happened again in 1992, in = a completely different job. I ended up having to replace a 22V10 with the p= in-compatible ICY 7024 (which had extra, buried cells) in order to get enou= gh elbow room to make the original design work. --=20 Bill Sloman, Sydney
On 04/09/2014 02:12 AM, Robert Baer wrote:
> Jim Thompson wrote: >> On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 09:14:22 -0700, RobertMacy >> <robert.a.macy@gmail.com> wrote: >> >>> On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 08:42:38 -0700, Jim Thompson >>> <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@on-my-web-site.com> wrote: >>> >>>> Job posting... >>>> >>>> "Synaptics - Phoenix, AZ >>>> ... Ph.D. program in E.E. Analog circuit coursework and hands-on lab >>>> experience a must Hands-on experience with digital multi-meter, >>>> oscilloscope, etc...." >>>> >>>> Bwahahahaha>:-} >>>> >>>> ...Jim Thompson >>> >>> aren't they HQ'd in Santa Clara, CA? >> >> I don't know, I think so. >> >>> Jim Tiernan still president? >> >> I don't know the management structure. >> >>> >>> have you done work for them? >> >> Yes. The Rochester (NY) group... touch screens. >> >> I thought the job posting rather hilarious... needed, a PhD, but must >> be able to handle a multimeter...>:-} >> >> ...Jim Thompson > Once upon a time, a long time ago, at SLAC, there was this Physics > PHD that literally did not know what an oscilloscope looked like, the > difference between a capacitor and a variac, was appalled to discover > that TEST EQUIPMENT was necessary as a part of any physics experiment. > After he "learned" about the PHAs, coincidence detectors, etc he > proceeded to destroy a few hundred thousand dollars worth of electronics. > > Bottom line, numerous schools teach theory ONLY and give worthless > PHDs; NO PRACTICE - not even a hint. >
I've had to teach a theoretician how to hammer a nail into a 2x4 without bending it. But some of them are great--I used to work with one of the gurus of quantum computing theory, and he was a thoroughly practical character. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net
On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 2:12:33 AM UTC-4, Robert Baer wrote:
> Jim Thompson wrote:
<snip> ...Jim Thompson
>=20 > Once upon a time, a long time ago, at SLAC, there was this Physics=20 > PHD that literally did not know what an oscilloscope looked like, the=20 > difference between a capacitor and a variac, was appalled to discover=20 > that TEST EQUIPMENT was necessary as a part of any physics experiment. > After he "learned" about the PHAs, coincidence detectors, etc he=20 > proceeded to destroy a few hundred thousand dollars worth of electronics. >=20 > Bottom line, numerous schools teach theory ONLY and give worthless=20 > PHDs; NO PRACTICE - not even a hint.
Well I can't speak about EE's, but I'm almost on the front lines of "practi= cal" physics education. And there are plenty of Physics Prof's out there w= ho do care about the more practical aspects of their craft, and are trying = hard to pass that knowledge on to their students. =20 And of course there are only so many hours in a day. Sure programming in l= abview and running a spectrum analyzer may help in their future careers, bu= t there is none of that on their qualifying exams. And they *will* have to= know about adding angular momentum and Clebsch Gordan coefficients. (whic= h still cause my eyes to glaze over.) =20 George H.
It's on the left and sez "Power" on it :-) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Working-Tektronix-7904A-500MHz-4-Slot-Oscilloscope-Mainframe-/400678543689?pt=BI_Oscilloscopes&hash=item5d4a4d6149 Sometimes it can be weird. On my 7704 it is in the same spot but has to be grabbed and pulled. They made it easy for newbies though by writing "Power (Pull)" above it. [...] -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/
George Herold wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 2:12:33 AM UTC-4, Robert Baer wrote: >> Jim Thompson wrote: > <snip> ...Jim Thompson >> Once upon a time, a long time ago, at SLAC, there was this Physics >> PHD that literally did not know what an oscilloscope looked like, >> the difference between a capacitor and a variac, was appalled to >> discover that TEST EQUIPMENT was necessary as a part of any physics >> experiment. After he "learned" about the PHAs, coincidence >> detectors, etc he proceeded to destroy a few hundred thousand >> dollars worth of electronics. >> >> Bottom line, numerous schools teach theory ONLY and give worthless >> PHDs; NO PRACTICE - not even a hint. > > Well I can't speak about EE's, but I'm almost on the front lines of > "practical" physics education. And there are plenty of Physics > Prof's out there who do care about the more practical aspects of > their craft, and are trying hard to pass that knowledge on to their > students. > > And of course there are only so many hours in a day. Sure > programming in labview and running a spectrum analyzer may help in > their future careers, but there is none of that on their qualifying > exams. ...
And that's where the problem is. In my days it was not important what was on the exam or not. If it is for the new kids then the exams need to change. Unfortunately there are still professors out there who believe that it is not the job of universities to teach what the industry needs in candidates. Well, there news for them: It is!
On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 10:58:27 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
> George Herold wrote: >=20 > > On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 2:12:33 AM UTC-4, Robert Baer wrote:
<snip>
> > Well I can't speak about EE's, but I'm almost on the front lines of > > "practical" physics education. And there are plenty of Physics > > Prof's out there who do care about the more practical aspects of > > their craft, and are trying hard to pass that knowledge on to their > > students. > >=20 > > And of course there are only so many hours in a day. Sure > > programming in labview and running a spectrum analyzer may help in > > their future careers, but there is none of that on their qualifyin > > exams. ... >=20
>=20 >=20 > And that's where the problem is. In my days it was not important what > was on the exam or not. If it is for the new kids then the exams need to > change.
Well if they don't pass the qualifying exam then they are out the door... n= o degree. (This is for Master's and PhD's)
>=20 >=20 > Unfortunately there are still professors out there who believe that it > is not the job of universities to teach what the industry needs in > candidates. Well, there news for them: It is!
Sure but the student's do care, and so do the Deans. They all want the stu= dents to get jobs! I was at the University of Albany nanofabrication facil= ity a few weeks ago. IBM and Semtec and maybe some other firms are right o= n campus. The students do projects with the companies and then most of the= m move right into a job. According to the professor I was meeting with the= students are banging down the doors to get in. =20 So my take is that it's changing. If school X has 90% of it's students get= ting jobs and school Y is only 50%, then the students will choose school X.= =20 George H.
On 04/09/2014 10:58 AM, Joerg wrote:
> George Herold wrote: >> On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 2:12:33 AM UTC-4, Robert Baer wrote: >>> Jim Thompson wrote: >> <snip> ...Jim Thompson >>> Once upon a time, a long time ago, at SLAC, there was this Physics >>> PHD that literally did not know what an oscilloscope looked like, >>> the difference between a capacitor and a variac, was appalled to >>> discover that TEST EQUIPMENT was necessary as a part of any physics >>> experiment. After he "learned" about the PHAs, coincidence >>> detectors, etc he proceeded to destroy a few hundred thousand >>> dollars worth of electronics. >>> >>> Bottom line, numerous schools teach theory ONLY and give worthless >>> PHDs; NO PRACTICE - not even a hint. >> >> Well I can't speak about EE's, but I'm almost on the front lines of >> "practical" physics education. And there are plenty of Physics >> Prof's out there who do care about the more practical aspects of >> their craft, and are trying hard to pass that knowledge on to their >> students. >> >> And of course there are only so many hours in a day. Sure >> programming in labview and running a spectrum analyzer may help in >> their future careers, but there is none of that on their qualifying >> exams. ... > > > And that's where the problem is. In my days it was not important what > was on the exam or not. If it is for the new kids then the exams need to > change.
George was talking about quals, not normal course exams. Your average beginning EE grad student is a Schroedinger's cat: a quantum superposition of a Master's and a Ph.D program, and quals are what opens the box. In EE the quals tend to be tougher, because the BSEE is the basic professional qualification, and an MSEE is better. In physics, a Ph.D. is the basic professional qualification, and a B.Sc. or master's degree generally gets you a job teaching high school.
> > Unfortunately there are still professors out there who believe that it > is not the job of universities to teach what the industry needs in > candidates. Well, there news for them: It is! > > >> ... And they *will* have to know about adding angular momentum >> and Clebsch Gordan coefficients. (which still cause my eyes to glaze >> over.)
Yup. Cheers Phil "Mainly classical" Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net