PSoC or FPGA?

Started by fasf March 20, 2011
On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 06:21:50 -0400, JW <none@dev.null> wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 16:26:13 -0700 John Larkin ><jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in Message id: ><i10lo6heaselrhr0hn81ifoi6ha1906sk3@4ax.com>: > >>Hi, >> >>Does anybody know of a laptop PC that has a BIOS that supports >>autostart after a power fail? Like, if the AC power fails, and the >>batteries die, and then power comes back up, I need it to power up and >>boot Windows, unattended. Many desktop PCs have this as a bios option. >> >>If you have one, I might buy it. >> >>If I can't do this in a laptop, I guess I'll have to go to one of >>those little cube things, with a Mini-ITX motherboard or whatever. >>Plus external monitor and keyboard. And I'd have to find one of them >>with the restart BIOS option. > >I can recommend this one: >http://www.logicsupply.com/products/ms_9803 > >We've shipped close to a thousand of them in our industrial PCs. Very low >failure rate from the field. Uses a 965GME mobile chipset and CPU. They do >have the power on after power fail option. > >>Or possibly hot-wire the power supply to >>be always on. > >Many motherboards will not power up properly when you force the power on >by grounding the PS-ON at the ATX connector. A work-around that we've used >is a 555 that runs from +5SB that continuously pokes the PWR_ON pin on the >motherboard until it sees +5V. I could send you our schematic if you want >it. So simple you probably don't even need it...
Hey, those Logicsupply people are good. A real person answered all my questions, have what I need, offered additional help, and the price is excellent. They do have a fanless system that will autoboot on powerup... http://www.logicsupply.com/products/atom_m350v2 John
> Hi, > > Does anybody know of a laptop PC that has a BIOS that supports > autostart after a power fail? Like, if the AC power fails, and the > batteries die, and then power comes back up, I need it to power up and > boot Windows, unattended. Many desktop PCs have this as a bios option. > > If you have one, I might buy it. > > If I can't do this in a laptop, I guess I'll have to go to one of > those little cube things, with a Mini-ITX motherboard or whatever. > Plus external monitor and keyboard. And I'd have to find one of them > with the restart BIOS option. Or possibly hot-wire the power supply to > be always on. > > John > >
I seem to recall in the old days fitting a cap across the reset switch, which made the PC power up on its own when mains was applied... Is that an option for you ?
On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 05:13:14 -0700, TheGlimmerMan
<justaglimmer@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org> wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 06:21:50 -0400, JW <none@dev.null> wrote: > >>On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 16:26:13 -0700 John Larkin >><jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in Message id: >><i10lo6heaselrhr0hn81ifoi6ha1906sk3@4ax.com>: >> >>>Hi, >>> >>>Does anybody know of a laptop PC that has a BIOS that supports >>>autostart after a power fail? Like, if the AC power fails, and the >>>batteries die, and then power comes back up, I need it to power up and >>>boot Windows, unattended. Many desktop PCs have this as a bios option. >>> >>>If you have one, I might buy it. >>> >>>If I can't do this in a laptop, I guess I'll have to go to one of >>>those little cube things, with a Mini-ITX motherboard or whatever. >>>Plus external monitor and keyboard. And I'd have to find one of them >>>with the restart BIOS option. >> >>I can recommend this one: >>http://www.logicsupply.com/products/ms_9803 > > The only thing totally retarded about you is how stupid you are. The >only thing totally retarded about this choice is the PRICE! > > What a fucking joke! > > It is LAME! It has NO HDMI out, which means it is a three year old >design at least. > > The Zotac boards are USB 3.0 now and even those MOBOs are only $135 >each. > > You are a Barnum and Bailey SUCKER! > > But that is only because you do not know how to find what is good, much >less of high value. > > It will not socket the new CPUs. The Zotacz can handle the i7 even. > > It uses old SLOW RAM. > > Jeez that MOBO is LAME! > > You must be an MSI shill. > >> >>We've shipped close to a thousand of them in our industrial PCs. > > Looks like you make stupid, cheap shit too then. > >> Very low >>failure rate from the field. > > Yeah, since it pretty much does NOTHING. > >> Uses a 965GME mobile chipset and CPU. They do >>have the power on after power fail option. > > It relates to the BIOS idiot, not the chipset. > >>>Or possibly hot-wire the power supply to >>>be always on. >> >>Many motherboards will not power up properly when you force the power on >>by grounding the PS-ON at the ATX connector. A work-around that we've used >>is a 555 that runs from +5SB that continuously pokes the PWR_ON pin on the >>motherboard until it sees +5V. I could send you our schematic if you want >>it. So simple you probably don't even need it... > > So retarded is more like it. > > Nice job of showing us how stupid you are, and how stupid the >"products" your shit company "makes" and offers. > > Tell us the name so I can be sure to never use your crap.
You're angry about everything, aren't you. All that anger will make you old before your time. And make the time that you have worthless. Sort of a double whammy. John
On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 18:08:08 -0000, "TTman" <pcw1.cad@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

> >"John Larkin" <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in message >news:i10lo6heaselrhr0hn81ifoi6ha1906sk3@4ax.com... >> Hi, >> >> Does anybody know of a laptop PC that has a BIOS that supports >> autostart after a power fail? Like, if the AC power fails, and the >> batteries die, and then power comes back up, I need it to power up and >> boot Windows, unattended. Many desktop PCs have this as a bios option. >> >> If you have one, I might buy it. >> >> If I can't do this in a laptop, I guess I'll have to go to one of >> those little cube things, with a Mini-ITX motherboard or whatever. >> Plus external monitor and keyboard. And I'd have to find one of them >> with the restart BIOS option. Or possibly hot-wire the power supply to >> be always on. >> >> John >> >> >I seem to recall in the old days fitting a cap across the reset switch, >which made the PC power up on its own when mains was applied... >Is that an option for you ? >
Don't know if that will work, and I'd have to invest in hardware just to find out. It's looking like an industrial Mini-ITX box is the way to go, with external keyboard and monitor. John
On Wednesday, March 23, 2011 4:26:13 PM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:

> Does anybody know of a laptop PC that has a BIOS that supports > autostart after a power fail? Like, if the AC power fails, and the > batteries die, and then power comes back up, I need it to power up and > boot Windows, unattended.
Any Mac laptop I've seen has the option, too; they used Open Firmware, and now use EFI, rather than a BIOS, and the option is in the OS System Preferences pane for 'Energy Saver'. You can buy a Macbook and put Windows on it. Ick. I don't know if the Windows has the software hooks to enable this feature, though.
On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 16:31:16 -0700, "Joel Koltner"
<zapwireDASHgroups@yahoo.com> wrote:

><krw@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote in message >news:keuko6ltsm7jfujhnqhtihanav7doa4pu7@4ax.com... >> Programmers never make buffer overrun errors? Nah, Windows has none of >> them... > >I think Larkin claims none of his equipment has ever had one. :-) > >>> My >>>opinion is that software development is one of the few fields where the >>>answer >>>to this question varies far more than in many other fields; a 5:1 ratio is >>>readily seen -- yet hiring the most productive programmers doesn't cost >>>nearly >>>5x what hiring the least productive ones does. >> >> It's also hard to tell the difference. > >For large projects, yes... there's some study I read where they attempted to >determine programmer productivity vs. project size, and while there are very >large deviations for small (e.g., one or two man) projects, it largely goes >away once you're hitting, e.g., dozen+ people projects.
I'm not so sure it's even possible on small projects. I've seen some pretty productive people get ignored. They tend to work quietly.
>>>Many people couldn't pull off that feat with Ada, C++, Python or any other >>>language out there. :-) >> Not sure how to parse that challenge. Manual assembly of a HLL? ;-) > >Haha... yes, it is ambiguous! > >But I meant the other way around: Write a BASIC interpreter in an HLL; any >errors will be punishable by a cat peeing in your bed.
Why not? You want to write BASIC in machine language? Today?
>>But I meant the other way around: Write a BASIC interpreter in an HLL; any >>errors will be punishable by a cat peeing in your bed. > Why not? You want to write BASIC in machine language? Today?
No, I'm saying that while Woz was able to pull off writing BASIC in machine language and have it work on the first actual test, many people today couldn't write a comparable BASIC in an HLL of their choosing and have it similarly work on the first go. It's the difference that John Larkin likes to point out about "debugging in your mind" vs. debugging using a software or hardware debugger: While the later is (IMO) quite valuable, in some cases the former is actually the much faster approach.
On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 16:26:39 -0700, "Joel Koltner"
<zapwireDASHgroups@yahoo.com> wrote:

><krw@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote in message >news:b7kno6156l1973crjm9uoqnirdab14qdsa@4ax.com... >>>But I meant the other way around: Write a BASIC interpreter in an HLL; any >>>errors will be punishable by a cat peeing in your bed. >> Why not? You want to write BASIC in machine language? Today? > >No, I'm saying that while Woz was able to pull off writing BASIC in machine >language and have it work on the first actual test, many people today couldn't >write a comparable BASIC in an HLL of their choosing and have it similarly >work on the first go.
Well... I taught at a reasonably well known college. Only about 5% of the seniors could write a program to convert bases without being told how to do it. 75% couldn't do it even after being told.
>It's the difference that John Larkin likes to point out about "debugging in >your mind" vs. debugging using a software or hardware debugger: While the >later is (IMO) quite valuable, in some cases the former is actually the much >faster approach.
As has been pointed out by others here, a debugger (or a simulator for hardware types) doesn't only help squash bugs but helps verify that the code is working properly, also. The latter takes a *lot* more work.

"John Larkin" <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in
message news:kbpmo6dofcl82q8t4t4k7u1rm97eian6k6@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 06:21:50 -0400, JW <none@dev.null> wrote: > >>On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 16:26:13 -0700 John Larkin >><jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in Message id: >><i10lo6heaselrhr0hn81ifoi6ha1906sk3@4ax.com>: >> >>>Hi, >>> >>>Does anybody know of a laptop PC that has a BIOS that supports >>>autostart after a power fail? Like, if the AC power fails, and the >>>batteries die, and then power comes back up, I need it to power up >>>and >>>boot Windows, unattended. Many desktop PCs have this as a bios >>>option. >>> >>>If you have one, I might buy it. >>> >>>If I can't do this in a laptop, I guess I'll have to go to one of >>>those little cube things, with a Mini-ITX motherboard or whatever. >>>Plus external monitor and keyboard. And I'd have to find one of them >>>with the restart BIOS option. >> >>I can recommend this one: >>http://www.logicsupply.com/products/ms_9803 >> >>We've shipped close to a thousand of them in our industrial PCs. Very >>low >>failure rate from the field. Uses a 965GME mobile chipset and CPU. >>They do >>have the power on after power fail option. >> >>>Or possibly hot-wire the power supply to >>>be always on. >> >>Many motherboards will not power up properly when you force the power >>on >>by grounding the PS-ON at the ATX connector. A work-around that we've >>used >>is a 555 that runs from +5SB that continuously pokes the PWR_ON pin on >>the >>motherboard until it sees +5V. I could send you our schematic if you >>want >>it. So simple you probably don't even need it... > > Hey, those Logicsupply people are good. A real person answered all my > questions, have what I need, offered additional help, and the price is > excellent. They do have a fanless system that will autoboot on > powerup... > > http://www.logicsupply.com/products/atom_m350v2 > > John > >
Yea, we get the 9803's from them too. We never had a problem with LogicSupply, but MSI has discontinued the 9803. I have a jetway board that I need to evaluate. Hope some one else comes out with a i7 dual lan ITX board. Cheers
On Mar 24, 3:21=A0am, JW <n...@dev.null> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 16:26:13 -0700 John Larkin > <jjlar...@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in Message id: > <i10lo6heaselrhr0hn81ifoi6ha1906...@4ax.com>: > > >Hi, > > >Does anybody know of a laptop PC that has a BIOS that supports > >autostart after a power fail? Like, if the AC power fails, and the > >batteries die, and then power comes back up, I need it to power up and > >boot Windows, unattended. Many desktop PCs have this as a bios option. > > >If you have one, I might buy it. > > >If I can't do this in a laptop, I guess I'll have to go to one of > >those little cube things, with a Mini-ITX motherboard or whatever. > >Plus external monitor and keyboard. And I'd have to find one of them > >with the restart BIOS option. > > I can recommend this one:http://www.logicsupply.com/products/ms_9803 > > We've shipped close to a thousand of them in our industrial PCs. Very low > failure rate from the field. Uses a 965GME mobile chipset and CPU. They d=
> have the power on after power fail option. > > >Or possibly hot-wire the power supply to > >be always on. > > Many motherboards will not power up properly when you force the power on > by grounding the PS-ON at the ATX connector. A work-around that we've use=
> is a 555 that runs from +5SB that continuously pokes the PWR_ON pin on th=
> motherboard until it sees +5V. I could send you our schematic if you want > it. So simple you probably don't even need it...
I'll second Logic Supply as a good vendor. I know someone with half a dozen of these in field use running knopix.