Spoke sensor for bicycle

Started by Dimiter_Popoff June 14, 2022
John Dope <always.look@message.header> wrote in
news:t8aiai$34s$1@dont-email.me:

> On Android? Can anybody name one such Android app (with a decent > rating) that DOESN'T work off-line (at least after you have paid > the 1 or $2 for it)? There are plenty of hiking apps, obviously > all of them work off-line. >
There are a lot of games that do not work offline for obvious reasons. Cant play Euchre with a worldwide set of opponents offline. D'Oh! John Dope is not very bright.
On 6/15/2022 8:43 PM, rbowman wrote:
> On 06/15/2022 09:33 AM, Don Y wrote: >> >> Bikes won't work well as I'd want to be able to take the "shortcuts" >> over dirt/gravel/grass. Something more "ATV-ish" is called for. >> Hence the Segway option. (The Segway "egg" looks do-able) > > https://www.montaguebikes.com/product/paratrooper/ > > Any mountain bike will be at home off the pavement. I've got a Montague because > I wanted a full-sized folding bike I can put in the back of the Yaris. Bike > racks and hatchbacks don't play well together.
Bike relies heavily on rider. My body is no longer as "pliable" as it used to be, making reaction times a significant issue to ridership.
>> I also have to be wary of the laws regarding where you can operate >> said "conveyance". E.g., I don't think bicycles are allowed on sidewalks. >> And, the rules for ebikes might be different. > > I don't think sidewalk riding is illegal here but I wonder about the people who > ride on sidewalks or the shoulder of the road when there's a perfectly good > bike path six feet away.
Bike paths, for the most part, run along the washes; a few in town but they share the pavement with vehicles (which is where bikes are supposed to ride). Here, cities have final authority over regulating bikes. Tucson prohibits riding bikes on sidewalks (unless posted otherwise). Other localities can set their own restrictions/permissions.
> Ebikes are up in the air. They're banned on quite a few trails but there's no > blanket prohibition. There's an attempt to distinguish between electric assist > and outright electric drive.
eBikes (of all kinds) and "motorized bikes" are treated like bicycles wrt sidewalk riding. There are some distinctions (Watts or cc's) that allow for the bike to be classed as a "scooter"/moped which just makes it harder to think of it as suitable for sidewalk use. Wheelchairs are deliberately accommodated on sidewalks with specifications as to the slope of the on/off ramps, "texture" to alert users that they are entering/exiting the roadway, etc. I'm sure electric wheelchairs are classed the same as regular wheelchairs. There's the possibility that some narrow-minded cop might consider a gas-generator powered electric wheelchair to be considered a "motor bike" but I suspect that wouldn't hold up in court (there is nothing that states HOW the power is sourced) I suspect Segways would be classed as ebikes, if the statutes were parsed carefully.
>> Years ago, I tried the bike approach. Driving on the roads is just too >> perilous. Having to cross 4 lanes of 45+MPH traffic several times on each >> "short trip" left my nerves jangled. > > Forty tears ago I'd ride on Boston streets. Over the years I gotten much more > paranoid. I gave up a favorite route because it's a narrow two lane road with > no shoulder. The fog line is the edge of the pavement and there's only a ditch > past it. Most people are good but it is frequented by F350 dualies pulling > stock trailers. > > The other route is on a very wide shoulder for about three miles and then a > bike/pedestrian path.
When I was younger, traffic wouldn't bother me. I'd ride from my place in Medford, down Mystic Valley/Alewife Brook/Fresh Pond -Parkways to pick up take-out at Big Joyce Chen's -- navigating the delightful 55MPH rotaries along the way (talk about hair-raising!). Or, down Mass Ave to school, crossing Harvard Sq "the wrong way" to cut a block off the trip. I was more "nimble" on the bike than on foot. Now, the reverse is the case (I can get my body out of harms way a lot easier than I'd be able to get it AND a bike out!)
Typical idiotic irrelevant response from Always Wrong...

--
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:

> Path: eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september.org!aioe.org!5U2ooNuM5UP0Ynf/GmOnCg.user.46.165.242.91.POSTED!not-for-mail > From: DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org > Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design > Subject: Re: Spoke sensor for bicycle > Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 04:20:50 -0000 (UTC) > Organization: Aioe.org NNTP Server > Message-ID: <t8eb32$1448$1@gioia.aioe.org> > References: <t8aapr$ab6$1@dont-email.me> <t8afpb$t21$6@dont-email.me> <c5ca6563-7e71-4ec9-b167-5ffb2b3482e6n@googlegroups.com> <t8aiai$34s$1@dont-email.me> > Injection-Info: gioia.aioe.org; logging-data="37000"; posting-host="5U2ooNuM5UP0Ynf/GmOnCg.user.gioia.aioe.org"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@aioe.org"; > User-Agent: Xnews/5.04.25 > X-Notice: Filtered by postfilter v. 0.9.2 > Xref: reader02.eternal-september.org sci.electronics.design:671764 > > John Dope <always.look@message.header> wrote in > news:t8aiai$34s$1@dont-email.me: > >> On Android? Can anybody name one such Android app (with a decent >> rating) that DOESN'T work off-line (at least after you have paid >> the 1 or $2 for it)? There are plenty of hiking apps, obviously >> all of them work off-line. >> > > There are a lot of games that do not work offline for obvious > reasons. > > Cant play Euchre with a worldwide set of opponents offline. > > D'Oh! John Dope is not very bright. > >
In message-id <t6nt3e$7bp$3@dont-email.me>
(http://al.howardknight.net/?ID=165357273000) posted Thu, 26 May 2022
12:50:54 -0000 (UTC) John Dope stated:

> Always Wrong, the utterly foulmouthed group idiot, adding absolutely > NOTHING but insults to this thread, as usual...
Yet, since Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:10:38 -0000 (UTC) John Dope's post ratio to USENET (**) has been 59.3% of its posts contributing "nothing except insults" to USENET. ** Since Wed, 5 Jan 2022 04:10:38 -0000 (UTC) John Dope has posted at least 1785 articles to USENET. Of which 173 have been pure insults and 885 have been John Dope "troll format" postings. The John Dope troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$4@dont-email.me>:
And the John Dope troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$1@dont-email.me>:
> The reason Bozo cannot figure out how to get Google to keep from > breaking its lines in inappropriate places is because Bozo is > CLUELESS...
And yet, the clueless John Dope troll has continued to post incorrectly formatted USENET articles that are devoid of content (latest example on Thu, 16 Jun 2022 12:51:18 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <t8f906$n4h$3@dont-email.me>). NOBODY likes the John Doe troll's contentless spam. This posting is a public service announcement for any google groups readers who happen by to point out that Troll Doe does not even follow the rules it uses to troll other posters. zT5LYfOE1c7c
rbowman wrote:
> Don wrote: >> My own mountain cycling takes place year around. Throughout the winter: >> >> <https://crcomp.net/arts/spintale/winter.png> > > Do you run studs?
No. Winter spins on the storied North Face of the mountain south of town are more infrequent, shorter, and require more preconditions. Such spins primarily keep my legs in shape for summer fun. (If you don't use it you lose it.) In the Winter the paved road to a promontory called Lookout must be mostly dry. Although snowy patches here and there are OK and crunchy rime ice is OK; black ice is a show stopper. The temperature at the start must be above 39 degrees F. Your own body heat keeps you toasty under a windbreaker thrown over a long sleeve t-shirt. Your own sweat drenches you, and becomes a very big problem on the way down. Southern chinook winds warm the town in the dead of Winter. But, they also agonize ascents on the North Face. Imagine gale force headwinds as you pedal a bicycle up a mountain. The ideal time for an ascent in Winter is when a storm first starts to blow in. The chinook eases off to slowly give way to a Northern tailwind. Of course the tailwind's cold and it becomes a headwind on the way back down. Remember my sweat drenched clothes? Add a nominal North wind of 20 MPH to a nominal 40 MPH downhill speed and you face a 60 MPH wind chill. Frozen digits on the way down become your biggest problem. Danke, -- Don, KB7RPU, https://www.qsl.net/kb7rpu There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light; She set out one day In a relative way And returned on the previous night.
John Dope <always.look@message.header> wrote in news:t8f906$n4h$3@dont-
email.me:

> > Typical idiotic irrelevant response from Always Wrong... >
The idiot John Dope challenges a response, it gets filled, and then the putz denies he challenged anyone and declares their response to be irrelevant, when it addressed the challenge 100%. And uses name calling like the immature little school boy putz mentality dumbfuck he is. You really are an immature old fool, John Dope.
In Today's News...

Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel said Wednesday that there should be "a
drag queen for every school."

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022/06/16/nolte-michigans-attorney-general-wants-drag-queen-every-school/

"Drag queens are entertainment. And you know what I'll say that was totally
not poll-tested, I'd say this - 'A drag queen for every school'""

San Francisco Democrat DA was recalled last week (terminated), now Los
Angeles Democrat DA is being pursued by Terminator Recall.

Apparently the current administration is promoting record gas prices, to
reduce consumption. Of course that will help Democrats get elected...
On 06/16/2022 09:28 AM, Don wrote:
> In the Winter the paved road to a promontory called Lookout must be > mostly dry. Although snowy patches here and there are OK and crunchy > rime ice is OK; black ice is a show stopper.
It certainly is. I was riding a trail that was mostly clear and came to a patch of smooth ice. I figured I could blow past it but physics disagreed.
On 16/6/22 14:07, rbowman wrote:
> On 06/15/2022 11:08 AM, Dimiter_Popoff wrote: >> I have seen "normal" bicycles with a battery and some electric >> motor... I was told the motor just helps you, they are made not >> to move on their own, you have to pedal but you get assistance >> (making life easier uphill I suppose). Some nonsense that, why >> would I bike if I didn't want the exercise. > > Some do not require any pedaling. Locally they're trying to find a way > to legally differentiate between the two.
Those aren't road-legal here in Australia, though some folk have them anyway. Road use has three legal requirements: * 250W max * no assist above 27km/hr * no assist unless pedalling (no throttle) Clifford Hetah.
On 6/17/2022 6:24, rbowman wrote:
> On 06/16/2022 09:28 AM, Don wrote: >> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; In the Winter the paved road to a promontory called Lookout must be >> mostly dry. Although snowy patches here and there are OK and crunchy >> rime ice is OK; black ice is a show stopper. > > It certainly is.&nbsp; I was riding a trail that was mostly clear and came to > a patch of smooth ice. I figured I could blow past it but physics > disagreed.
To me riding when there is snow is too much of a madness. I do ride during the winter months when it is dry and I have occasionally landed on a patch of snow, barely being able to control the slide (it typically happens at a curve on my daily track where the snow melts slowest). My tires are perhaps half as wide as Don's, may be 1/3, but still.