Blackberry Smart Phones Shut Down

Started by Dean Hoffman January 4, 2022
This might be a trip down memory lane for you professional types.
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/01/03/rip-blackberry-phones-technology/>
  There's a mention about a 4 year old who tried to flush her mom's Blackberry down the toilet.
Dean Hoffman wrote:
> This might be a trip down memory lane for you professional types. > <https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/01/03/rip-blackberry-phones-technology/> > There's a mention about a 4 year old who tried to flush her mom's Blackberry down the toilet. >
Yup, I'm switching to a Linux phone this very day. :( Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 http://electrooptical.net http://hobbs-eo.com
Paul Babiak wrote:
> On 01/04/2022 08:53 AM, Phil Hobbs wrote: >> Dean Hoffman wrote: >>> This might be a trip down memory lane for you professional types. >>> <https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/01/03/rip-blackberry-phones-technology/> >>> >>> &nbsp;&nbsp; There's a mention about a 4 year old who tried to flush her mom's >>> Blackberry down the toilet. >>> >> >> Yup, I'm switching to a Linux phone this very day. :(
> +1 > > Which phone/distro have you chose? I've switched to Ubuntu Touch/UB > Ports on a Nexus 5. It's functional, but I'm having issues with > Bluetooth. I'll be trying mobian on a Pinephone next.
I have a couple of Pinephones--one beta, one pro. I didn't like whatever it was they came with, so I used JumpDrive to install the weekly build of Mobian. (Jumpdrive is pretty slick actually--boots from a tiny image on SD, and lets you re-image the internal flash using dd over USB in the good old way.) The main issue with the stock distro (even after updating) was that its map app was completely useless. At least the Mobian one works, but it isn't turn-by-turn yet, so I'll keep using my Garmin for now. (Blackberry Maps needed a network connection at all times, so the Garmin was useful even before they turned off BB Maps last June. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 http://electrooptical.net http://hobbs-eo.com
Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote in

> Dean Hoffman wrote: >> This might be a trip down memory lane for you professional types. >> <https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/01/03/rip-blackberry >> -phones-technology/> >> There's a mention about a 4 year old who tried to flush her >> mom's Blackberry down the toilet. >> > > Yup, I'm switching to a Linux phone this very day. :( > > Cheers > > Phil Hobbs >
Were Blackberry phones ever "smart"? I don't think so. They were smart wannabes. Hell an HP PID beat them.
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:
> Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote in > news:f3b100c6-b8e0-8755-c99b-f94fc789b1a2@electrooptical.net: > >> Dean Hoffman wrote: >>> This might be a trip down memory lane for you professional types. >>> <https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/01/03/rip-blackberry >>> -phones-technology/> >>> There's a mention about a 4 year old who tried to flush her >>> mom's Blackberry down the toilet. >>> >> >> Yup, I'm switching to a Linux phone this very day. :( >> >> Cheers >> >> Phil Hobbs >> > > Were Blackberry phones ever "smart"? I don't think so. They were > smart wannabes. Hell an HP PID beat them. >
Which ones did you have? Cheers Phil Hobbs

> DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote: >> Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote in >> news:f3b100c6-b8e0-8755-c99b-f94fc789b1a2@electrooptical.net: >> >>> Dean Hoffman wrote: >>>> This might be a trip down memory lane for you professional
types.
To me, all I had was the phones with the keyboard still on them. One I had and used in VA about 6 years ago, and the other is newer and I found it in the dumpster after a vacated apartment cleanup. I works fine and still has an active account, which makes me feel bad that the tenant got evicted or whatever that they were not able to get their possessions. There were pills and all kinds of stuff in there. 4 phones total.
On 1/4/22 7:02 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
> This might be a trip down memory lane for you professional types. > <https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/01/03/rip-blackberry-phones-technology/> > There's a mention about a 4 year old who tried to flush her mom's Blackberry down the toilet. >
Back when I was single I went on a few dates with a significantly younger woman who carried a BlackBerry device long after it was unfashionable among even among people my age. "I like the analog buttons the best, I hate poking at a screen." She drove a Chrysler IIRC. An unusual lady, though unfortunately our short relationship was not to last. In hindsight I felt like she may have kept a business-oriented device for the "business" of conferring with her many suitors. A related sea shanty: <https://youtu.be/b2JO-i2aPs8>
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:
> Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote in > news:sr24a7$1d4q$1@gioia.aioe.org: > >> DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote: >>> Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote in >>> news:f3b100c6-b8e0-8755-c99b-f94fc789b1a2@electrooptical.net: >>> >>>> Dean Hoffman wrote: >>>>> This might be a trip down memory lane for you professional > types. >>>>> <https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/01/03/rip- > blackberry >>>>> -phones-technology/> >>>>> There's a mention about a 4 year old who tried to flush her >>>>> mom's Blackberry down the toilet. >>>>> >>>> >>>> Yup, I'm switching to a Linux phone this very day. :( >>>> >>>> Cheers >>>> >>>> Phil Hobbs >>>> >>> >>> Were Blackberry phones ever "smart"? I don't think so. They were >>> smart wannabes. Hell an HP PID beat them. >>> >> >> Which ones did you have? >> >> Cheers >> >> Phil Hobbs >> > > To me, all I had was the phones with the keyboard still on them. > One I had and used in VA about 6 years ago, and the other is newer > and I found it in the dumpster after a vacated apartment cleanup. > I works fine and still has an active account, which makes me feel bad > that the tenant got evicted or whatever that they were not able to > get their possessions. There were pills and all kinds of stuff in > there. 4 phones total. >
So none of the Blackberry 10 models then. Yeah, BB7 and earlier were, well, 2000s-ish. I really like the Classic. The Pinephone will probably be OK, but we'll see. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 http://electrooptical.net http://hobbs-eo.com
I had to look closely to see the glasses in front of the guys on the right hand side. There's no connection but the song Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) by Looking Glass popped into my head. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTqTE7aNjZQ>
On 1/4/22 5:09 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 4, 2022 at 1:26:36 PM UTC-6, bitrex wrote: >> On 1/4/22 7:02 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote: >>> This might be a trip down memory lane for you professional types. >>> <https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/01/03/rip-blackberry-phones-technology/> >>> There's a mention about a 4 year old who tried to flush her mom's Blackberry down the toilet. >>> >> Back when I was single I went on a few dates with a significantly >> younger woman who carried a BlackBerry device long after it was >> unfashionable among even among people my age. "I like the analog buttons >> the best, I hate poking at a screen." She drove a Chrysler IIRC. >> >> An unusual lady, though unfortunately our short relationship was not to >> last. In hindsight I felt like she may have kept a business-oriented >> device for the "business" of conferring with her many suitors. >> >> A related sea shanty: >> >> <https://youtu.be/b2JO-i2aPs8> > > I had to look closely to see the glasses in front of the guys on the right > hand side. There's no connection but the song > Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) by Looking Glass popped into my head. > <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTqTE7aNjZQ> >
Sweet Rickenbacker bass, some nice Wurlitzer piano work on that tune. Comment: "The songs we grew up with in the 70&rsquo;s told stories. They sucked you in. I can envision Brandy getting the sailors drinks. I can picture the busy harbor. Stories. Today, it is rare to find any thought provoking songs. Same old boring crap these days, money money money." Well it's a good song but the story is an old one. Here's a more recent popular song with 10 times as many views called "Bitch I'm a cow" (the boomers love this one): <https://youtu.be/mXnJqYwebF8> "It is what it is"