scientists as superstars

Started by Unknown June 19, 2020
On 6/21/2020 11:24 AM, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 11:17:27 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote: > >> On 6/21/2020 10:14 AM, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote: >>> On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 00:28:07 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote: >>> >>>> On 6/20/2020 9:38 AM, Jan Panteltje wrote: >>>>> On a sunny day (Fri, 19 Jun 2020 15:11:25 -0700) it happened John Larkin >>>>> <jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology.com> wrote in >>>>> <bfdqefdtnvejm3uva4v8hrgpkjtd495a02@4ax.com>: >>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> R has studied DT a lot more than I have. He is a thinker. Both of them >>>>>> I guess. >>>>>> >>>>>> All successful companies have a few Big Thinkers. >>>>> >>>>> I think it is spelled 'sinker'? >>>>> What is left of his followers after they discover most of his brain has switched off because of the >>>>> 'medicine' he takes, will probably die of corona due to keeping no distance at all in his campaign. >>>>> Nature has its ways and laws. >>>>> >>>> >>>> Yes, America is full of fine Christian "big thinkers" who can hardly say >>>> enough nice things about each other. /eyeroll >>> >>> Say a little thinker who invents nothing but imaginary people that he >>> can spew contempt at. >>> >>> Be careful with those eyerolls; you might damage your vision. >>> >>> >>> >> >> I have to appreciate your brevity as compared to Howard Roark though he >> blew up a building and then droned on for like 30 pages about it. What a >> snooze-fest. > > If you thought a while before posting, you could reduce your multiple > posts and self-followups. Save the world bandwidth. > >
How much does a job like that pay? I'll never even make an off-topic post here again for $X (negotiable.) All things are negotiable
jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> > But musicians optimize their performance precisely to generate fame > and fortune. When scientists do that, it grossly distorts the science.
It grossly distorts music too.
On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 8:36:36 PM UTC-4, Tom Gardner wrote:
> On 19/06/20 23:56, John Larkin wrote:
> > What happened? With radar and code breaking machines and systems > > operations from the war, England should have dominated electronics and > > computers. > > Part of it was that the US exacted a heavy price for > its supplies. Essentially the US bankrupted us, and > we didn't benefit from the Marshall Plan after the war. > > Part of it is the incompetence of the ruling classes.
It's none of that; blaming it on various central authorities 'defects' illustrates a fundamental misunderstanding. It's simple: America is freer. It's easier for regular people to invent, produce, and benefit from their creations here. So we have more of that, which produces a higher standard of living (both material, and political). It's really that simple. Big Government doesn't invent. It mostly squashes invention, creativity, and of course, freedom. To govern is to constrain; restrict. Any nation waiting on a Boris, or a Tony--or any external shepherd-- expecting them to excite innovation with expanded bureaucratic requirements and redistributing society's resources, will be waiting a very long time indeed. Cheers, James Arthur
On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 1:24:25 AM UTC+10, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 11:17:27 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote: > > >On 6/21/2020 10:14 AM, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote: > >> On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 00:28:07 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote: > >> > >>> On 6/20/2020 9:38 AM, Jan Panteltje wrote: > >>>> On a sunny day (Fri, 19 Jun 2020 15:11:25 -0700) it happened John Larkin > >>>> <jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology.com> wrote in > >>>> <bfdqefdtnvejm3uva4v8hrgpkjtd495a02@4ax.com>: > >>>> > >>>>> > >>>>> R has studied DT a lot more than I have. He is a thinker. Both of them > >>>>> I guess. > >>>>> > >>>>> All successful companies have a few Big Thinkers. > >>>> > >>>> I think it is spelled 'sinker'? > >>>> What is left of his followers after they discover most of his brain has switched off because of the 'medicine' he takes, will probably die of corona due to keeping no distance at all in his campaign. > >>>> Nature has its ways and laws. > >>>> > >>> Yes, America is full of fine Christian "big thinkers" who can hardly say > >>> enough nice things about each other. /eyeroll > >> > >> Say a little thinker who invents nothing but imaginary people that he > >> can spew contempt at. > >> > >> Be careful with those eyerolls; you might damage your vision. > > > >I have to appreciate your brevity as compared to Howard Roark though he > >blew up a building and then droned on for like 30 pages about it. What a > >snooze-fest. > > If you thought a while before posting, you could reduce your multiple > posts and self-followups. Save the world bandwidth.
Close to a case of the pot calling the kettle black, except that Bitrex can and does think, while John Larkin subcontracts that work to people like Donald Trump (who aren't all that good at it). -- Bill Sloman, Sydney
On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 9:02:14 AM UTC+10, dagmarg...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 8:36:36 PM UTC-4, Tom Gardner wrote: > > On 19/06/20 23:56, John Larkin wrote: > > > > What happened? With radar and code breaking machines and systems > > > operations from the war, England should have dominated electronics and > > > computers. > > > > Part of it was that the US exacted a heavy price for > > its supplies. Essentially the US bankrupted us, and > > we didn't benefit from the Marshall Plan after the war. > > > > Part of it is the incompetence of the ruling classes. > > It's none of that; blaming it on various central authorities > 'defects' illustrates a fundamental misunderstanding.
James Arthur's misunderstandings are fundamental, ,and when people don't share his bizarre delusions he imagines that it is because they don't have his access to the one true story.
> It's simple: America is freer. It's easier for regular people to invent, > produce, and benefit from their creations here.
Provided that they have enough money. If you can put your hands on a million dollars or so, America looks like a very free society. If you can't, you are free to do whatever better-off people will let you do.
For the top 1% of the income distribution. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_income The US comes sixth in the international league table. The US hasn't got universal health care, while every other advanced industrial country has, which doesn't give it a higher standard of living - and tertiary education in the US is remarkably expensive, which may have something to do wuth it's relatively low inter-generational social mobility.
> It's really that simple.
James Arthur keeps his arguments simple by leaving out inconvenient facts.
> Big Government doesn't invent.
That's not it's job.
> It mostly squashes invention, creativity, > and of course, freedom. To govern is to constrain; restrict.
But society depends on it restrain individual psychopaths from exploiting their neighbours. The American version isn't all that good at restraining wealthy psychopaths like Harvey Weinstein and Jeffrey Epstein from sexually exploiting their neighbours, and it strongly discourages trade unions, whose main purpose in life is stopping psychopathic employers financially exploiting their workers. Henry Ford used his money to support Adolf Hitler.
> Any nation waiting on a Boris, or a Tony - or any external shepherd - > expecting them to excite innovation with expanded bureaucratic > requirements and redistributing society's resources, will be waiting > a very long time indeed.
Of course. Bureaucracy doesn't exist to excite innovation - it's there to offer the kind of level playing field where many people are free to innovate, and the large existing manufacturers can't exploit their market power to bankrupt or buy out their more innovative competitors before they can erode that market power. It's curious that cellular telephony was invented in the US, but the smartphone revolution got exploited by Nokia in Finland, and Samsung in South Korea. The Iphone was designed to compete for a part of an existing market. -- Bill Sloman, Sydney
On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 9:00:46 AM UTC-4, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Fri, 19 Jun 2020 06:49:20 -0700) it happened > jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in > <4cgpef95gf0q0tblgun6dvl3b98iqptnsb@4ax.com>: > > > > >https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/18/scientists-as-heroes-keep-that-image-public-eye/ > > > >That's really scary, science as a path to fame, fortune, prizes, > >adoration from movie stars. > > It is good if people get interested in science. > > Making idols of some scientists is not so good, > a typical example is Albert OneStone
Within a year or two Einstein rewrote large swaths of physics. QM, Thermo, space-time.... It's amazing in many ways. (1905-6) George H.
> > Politics, after WW2 Jews needed a bit of a hero, and OneStone's theory was 'proven' > over and over again, to the point where if your thing conflicted with it you simply did not get published. > Now OneSTone was a total failure, his 'theory' is just a bit of math that describes reality, > but has been shown to break down, and you cannot PROVE a theory but can sure disprove it. > I have read that OneStone's wife was a mathemagician, and he likely got > his ideas from her, but did not give credit. > Spooky action at a distance? Oh well. > He never united graffiti with the other forces.. > Anyways few hundred years ago if you mentioned the earth was not at the center of the universe > but moving around the sun in Europe you were burned by the church. > Being a scientist and right for a change is not always good for your health. > > Personally as far as Albert OneStone goes I think we need a break, I like Le Sage's theory of gravity > as it at least proposes a mechanism, and am working on some experiment now that the Tritium decay > has had its time. > You start looking and the obvious 'If this effect is present WHY did nobody see it for what it is?' > So I scan my memory, and hopla, somebody did notice and cause waves, reproducing that experiment failed however, > then you think "buy WHY", and then there is that simple answer... then "how can I best measure this?" > and then you find this: > PhysRevLett.124.201801.pdf > Detecting Light Dark Matter with Magnons - Physical Review ... > google > But US DOD already had a go with the one that my memory found.. is it classified? > > So Albert OneStone as a political puppet makes sense, any scientist standing next to the lying leader? Does it? > What's the game now? > > Manipulation of people... an industry that uses looping around the earth to keep jobs for ever, > some forces in the people somewhere must say enough, let's have some reality. > > All work in progress... > > Science is fun!
jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 12:46:02 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote: >> >> Whomever invented BBQ ribs was probably told by many of his >> compatriots "That'll never sell..." > > What's your point? That BBQ ribs were invented in Germany?
I thought they were invented by slaves because that was the best part of the animal they could get.
bitrex wrote:
> > The Wrights may not have had high-falutin' degrees; but they weren't > bumpkins or amateurs or "crazy people" who made miracles happen with > spitballs and gumption and their own hands. They were methodical and > persistent and read the literature and could do the math and were > aware of others failures and learned from them. > > That is to say most previous attempts at heavier-than-air flight had > been made by dilettantes, they approached the problem scientifically.
The propellor they hand-carved was 80% efficient, and a modern prop is 85%, the result of testing and measurement. But the guy who got the government contract failed. So having scientific talent is a benefit but having official backing is not.
On a sunny day (Sun, 21 Jun 2020 07:21:55 -0700) it happened
<qsquef9445bs37no3th2cokha62p8gkcej@4ax.com>:

>>First to get murdered? > >Napoleon. The Kaiser. Hitler. Stalin. The Inquisition. Thousands of >years of warfare. Famines. Slavery. > >European Paradise.
Nothing to do with Europe, it is a human thing, a part of evolution. Wars have a purpose. Too much capitalism, erratic leaders, injustice and what have you and the people will revolt, a leader will be chosen who advocates nuking the rest of the human species. The best one will win. US had north versus south, fought in many countries, the word is 'imperialism', is planning wars all over the place. One outcome could be that Russia has the east coast and China the west coast.... I think we should be very happy and appreciate we had peace since 1945 here... No Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, all US war games.
>Getting amazing stuff from Digikey and Amazon overnight.
I got some from ebay and Aliexpress... Took a little longer but free shipping and often half the cost.
On a sunny day (Sun, 21 Jun 2020 07:27:21 -0700) it happened
<0aruef50r20f0kdrne91k5milblef04tni@4ax.com>:

>On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 11:10:11 GMT, Jan Panteltje ><pNaOnStPeAlMtje@yahoo.com> wrote: > >>On a sunny day (Sat, 20 Jun 2020 07:57:56 -0700) it happened >>jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in >><pn8sefdil5dj7ilk5l4da50sgbjl6r2v19@4ax.com>: >> >>>On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 13:00:32 GMT, Jan Panteltje >>><pNaOnStPeAlMtje@yahoo.com> wrote: >>>>Politics, after WW2 Jews needed a bit of a hero, > >Einstein was a hero long before WWII. > >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein%27s_awards_and_honors > > > > > and OneStone's theory was 'proven' >>>>over and over again, to the point where if your thing conflicted with it you simply did not get published. >>>>Now OneSTone was a total failure, his 'theory' is just a bit of math that describes reality, >>>>but has been shown to break down, and you cannot PROVE a theory but can sure disprove it. >>> >>>Gravitational lensing, relativity, E=MC^2, gravity waves, stimulated >>>emission, quantized photoemission, pretty good ideas from a young >>>patent office clerk. >> >>For me Ohm's law without electrons would have kept me away from 'tronics. >>OneStone's graffiti without a carrier is meaningless. >>Photon is just a mathematical construct abused no end. > >Equations that work, that are predictive of measurable quantities, >aren't abuse. They tell us about reality. They help us design things.
Equations do not 'work', are a the best an estimate of reality. How freaking log have we now been seeing scientic papers ending with 'and this may being quantum computers much closer' It is the experimenter that counts. Hanging on to obvious flawed concepts and brainwashing kids with it goes nowhere. OneStone never did any experiment in his life. His ideas is likely what keeps us from going to the stars. Left a brainwashed generation (playing balls in CERN for example..) I can hardly believe there is nobody who does not see the faults, if it is with DOD then they did a good job keeping it secret. In the chain of events there is this funny shuttle like spacecraft doing secret experiments in space.. lauched again recently. In what I want to do for experiment would be nice to do in space too.