Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

Started by Unknown November 11, 2018
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 11:05:02 +0000, TTman <kraken.sankey@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 11/11/2018 04:39, guitar-lead@myband.com wrote: >> Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier using vacuum tubes. >> >> >I have one for 900KW if that's any good... can't you lower your sights a >bit ?
That's only .5dB short of the spec. He won't even hear the difference.
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 15:38:39 -0800, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 21:17:18 +0000 (UTC), >DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote: > >> How much energy do the little two inch pads they use for open heart >>surgery defib? >> >> It is easily an order of magnitude less than the externally applied >>defib. Those hit you with anywhere from 100 to 400 joules in a pop. >> >> The little guys must just do a few joules each pulse. > >Yep: >"Open chest defibrillation during cardiac surgery: Energy and current >requirements" ><https://www.ajconline.org/article/0002-9149(80)90006-5/pdf> > >Looks like there's a choice of 5, 10, or 20 Joules to restart the >heart with some repetition. I had a triple bypass done in 2002. I >remember the 10 Joules figure, but I'm not sure how many times I was >zapped. I think it was 3 times with the surgeon later mentioning that >he was worried. I suspect that the difficulty getting my heart kick >started might be responsible for my inability to properly abbrev.
I've been zapped through my chest (front to back) with 100J five times and 300J once (I have calibrated the burn marks). I was awake for #5. That *hurt*. That's not counting the bypass/MAZE (in '14). No idea if it was needed but #2 was a week later.
On 12/11/18 1:09 pm, krw@notreal.com wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 11:05:02 +0000, TTman <kraken.sankey@gmail.com> > wrote: > >> On 11/11/2018 04:39, guitar-lead@myband.com wrote: >>> Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier using vacuum tubes. >>> >>> >> I have one for 900KW if that's any good... can't you lower your sights a >> bit ? > > That's only .5dB short of the spec.
20.45dB - you missed two zeroes.
> He won't even hear the difference.
Probably true, he'd be mincemeat either way
On Saturday, November 10, 2018 at 11:39:41 PM UTC-5, guita...@myband.com wrote:
> Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier
Be sure to specify half-ounce copper on the circuit boards.
On Monday, November 12, 2018 at 1:09:48 PM UTC+11, k...@notreal.com wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 11:05:02 +0000, TTman <kraken.sankey@gmail.com> > wrote: > > >On 11/11/2018 04:39, guitar-lead@myband.com wrote: > >> Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier using vacuum tubes. > >> > >> > >I have one for 900KW if that's any good... can't you lower your sights a > >bit ? > > That's only .5dB short of the spec. He won't even hear the > difference.
If you could hear anything at all, ever again, after being exposed to that much noise. -- Bill Sloman, Sydney
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 21:17:36 -0500, krw@notreal.com wrote:

>I've been zapped through my chest (front to back) with 100J five times >and 300J once (I have calibrated the burn marks). I was awake for #5. >That *hurt*. > >That's not counting the bypass/MAZE (in '14). No idea if it was >needed but #2 was a week later.
Ouch. I've never needed to have my heart restarted with the paddles. I'm told it's no fun when it happens. Several of my friends have pacemakers with built in defibrillators installed. If the heart misses too many beats or fails to follow a medically acceptable rhythm, they get automatically zapped. I'm told it feels like getting hit in the chest with a baseball bat, which also seems like no fun. Stay well. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 19:55:54 -0500, "Tom Del Rosso"
<fizzbintuesday@that-google-mail-domain.com> wrote:

>Jeff Liebermann wrote: >> On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 22:39:37 -0600, guitar-lead@myband.com wrote: >> >>> Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier using vacuum tubes. >> >> No problem and no vacuum tubes required. A few diesel train engines >> driving air compressors feeding a big Wagnerian horn should do the >> trick. Modulation would be by pneumatic valve control, fluidics, or >> hydraulic modulators.
>No matter how it's done, the problem is still finding roadies who can >move it.
Did you catch the part about using diesel train engines? They run on railroad tracks. No need for a caravan of trucks, when railroad cars will do as well or better. When the diesel electric locomotive is not moving railroad cars around, it can be driving the air compressors, or if desperate powering the electronics needed for the sound system. Most diesel-electric locomotives deliver 3000 horsepower or 2.2 megawatts. So, a 200 megawatt amplifier (assuming 50% efficiency) would require: 200*10^6 / 2.2*10^6 = 91 locomotive engines to power the amplifier and probably a similar number of tank cars to keep the locomotives supplied with diesel. That's a fairly long train, but is still better than a caravan of trucks carrying the same engines, compressors, or generators. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 18:35:02 -0800 (PST), mpm <mpmillard@aol.com>
wrote:

>On Saturday, November 10, 2018 at 11:39:41 PM UTC-5, guita...@myband.com wrote: >> Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier
>Be sure to specify half-ounce copper on the circuit boards.
Is it my imagination or does this group seem to lack the ability to design mega scale and high power devices? Methods and construction techniques that work so well at low power levels, do not scale well into kilowatt or megawatt devices. One does not use PCB's on megawatt scale amplifiers. One uses thick bus bars to interconnect components. There might be a PCB in the low level part of the amplifier, but stages operating at over 1000 watts need big fat conductors, physically large capacitors, heavy duty transformers, oil bath capacitors, and high current knife switches. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 19:55:54 -0500, "Tom Del Rosso" > <fizzbintuesday@that-google-mail-domain.com> wrote: > >> Jeff Liebermann wrote: >>> On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 22:39:37 -0600, guitar-lead@myband.com wrote: >>> >>>> Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier using vacuum >>>> tubes. >>> >>> No problem and no vacuum tubes required. A few diesel train engines >>> driving air compressors feeding a big Wagnerian horn should do the >>> trick. Modulation would be by pneumatic valve control, fluidics, or >>> hydraulic modulators. > >> No matter how it's done, the problem is still finding roadies who can >> move it. > > Did you catch the part about using diesel train engines? They run on > railroad tracks. No need for a caravan of trucks, when railroad cars > will do as well or better. > > When the diesel electric locomotive is not moving railroad cars > around, it can be driving the air compressors, or if desperate > powering the electronics needed for the sound system. Most > diesel-electric locomotives deliver 3000 horsepower or 2.2 megawatts. > So, a 200 megawatt amplifier (assuming 50% efficiency) would require: > 200*10^6 / 2.2*10^6 = 91 > locomotive engines to power the amplifier and probably a similar > number of tank cars to keep the locomotives supplied with diesel. > That's a fairly long train, but is still better than a caravan of > trucks carrying the same engines, compressors, or generators.
The tracks won't run right up to the concert hall, but I guess it isn't necessary to carry the amp all the way to the concert, since they will hear it anyway. But then the band will have to play at the tracks. Nothing left for the roadies to do. Hopefully they don't have a union.
On 11/11/18 11:37 AM, John Larkin wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 22:39:37 -0600, guitar-lead@myband.com wrote: > >> Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier using vacuum tubes. >> > > So the entire world can hear you banging away on a guitar? > >
Nah, the guy's an amateur. A real rock musician would turn it up to 10**11. ;) Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 http://electrooptical.net http://hobbs-eo.com