Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

Started by Unknown November 11, 2018
https://www.cpii.com/docs/datasheets/78/8974.pdf says it'll do 2MW AF in class AB
On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 16:11:46 -0600, Jon Elson <elson@pico-systems.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 07:50:41 -0800, doh wrote: > >> On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 00:59:17 -0500, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote: >> >>>On 11/10/2018 11:39 PM, guitar-lead@myband.com wrote: >>>> Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier using vacuum tubes. >>>> >>>> >>>You might have to compromise a bit and run it class B though. I hope >>>that's alright. It'll sound okay in the cheap seats but true audiophiles >>>won't be impressed. >> >> I don't think the neighbors would be impressed, either. > >Ummm, maybe not "impressed", but I'd bet they'd be "blown away" - >literally! > >In a more practical vein, let's see, the biggest tubes I know about are >something like the 4CX100,000, so you'd need to parallel something like >1000 of these tubes to deliver that power. These tubes cost something >like $50,000 or maybe $100K each, so that's 100 Million right there. The >output transformer would be the size of a utility substation transformer, >but wound with Litz wire, so you'd have to radically up the cost. It >would have a HELL of a turns ratio, for 18KV on the plates and 8 Ohm >output. So, the output would be bus bars several feet square, I'd think. >Can't imagine what a voice coil for that would look like.
If the request from the OP would have appeared 25 years earlier, it would have been much cheaper to implement. Just take some ex-Radio Moscow transmitters and ex-Sovjet union jammers, apply a rectifier (envelope detector) or just use their high power AM modulator (audio) amplifiers.These would have been cheaply available just after to collapse of the Soviet Union. Anyway, it is a stupid idea to build a huge power amplifier and then use a passive crossover to drive speakers for different frequency bands. A much better approach is to use "small" (20 MW) amplifiers to feed speakers with only one octave range. In fact horn speakers can be quite clean if you feed just one octave into properly dimensioned speaker. If the OP wouldn't be too eager to use only tubes all the way, I would just use medium voltage (e.g. 3 kV) VFD (Variable Frequency Drives) for the lowest octaves. Just fiddle with the feedback loop frequency response, but otherwise some few megawatt VFDs are available off the shelf. for the lowest octaves.
For a musician unable to sing or play any instruments Ozzy has done pretty well for himself. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWfSyhcJyHw>
krw@notreal.com wrote in news:jijjudh0naqb67f8et5jtmpdm5pmal44rj@4ax.com:

> there was big business in artillery tables.
From which came the ENIAC, and what we use as computers today. The Bomb was for decrypting the Enigma, but artillery computation desires are responsible for our programming roots and our hardware device roots.
On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 14:30:08 -0800, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote:

> mandag den 12. november 2018 kl. 23.11.56 UTC+1 skrev Jon Elson: >> On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 07:50:41 -0800, doh wrote: >> >> > On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 00:59:17 -0500, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote: >> > >> >>On 11/10/2018 11:39 PM, guitar-lead@myband.com wrote: >> >>> Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier using vacuum >> >>> tubes. >> >>> >> >>> >> >>You might have to compromise a bit and run it class B though. I hope >> >>that's alright. It'll sound okay in the cheap seats but true >> >>audiophiles won't be impressed. >> > >> > I don't think the neighbors would be impressed, either. >> >> Ummm, maybe not "impressed", but I'd bet they'd be "blown away" - >> literally! >> >> In a more practical vein, let's see, the biggest tubes I know about are >> something like the 4CX100,000, so you'd need to parallel something like >> 1000 of these tubes to deliver that power. These tubes cost something >> like $50,000 or maybe $100K each, so that's 100 Million right there. >> The output transformer would be the size of a utility substation >> transformer, but wound with Litz wire, so you'd have to radically up >> the cost. It would have a HELL of a turns ratio, for 18KV on the >> plates and 8 Ohm output. So, the output would be bus bars several feet >> square, I'd think. Can't imagine what a voice coil for that would look >> like. >> >> Also, the plate cooling system would be plenty impressive. >> >> At the National Superconducting Cyclotron Center, they run 2 big >> cyclotrons together, and the plate supply is 42-46 A at 18,000 V. >> (That's roughly 3/4 megawatt.) It certainly impresses the HELL out of >> me! >> >> Jon > > https://www.cpii.com/docs/datasheets/78/8974.pdf > > says it'll do 2MW AF in class AB
That makes the 100MW tube amplifier project viable, given enough funding to buy all the supporting infrastructure to go along with the expense of the hundred and thirty two 8974/X-2159 valves (tubes) required to create a class B push/pull bridge output amp with 33 paralleled tubes making up each of the four elements in the bridge output circuit to drive your 100MW rated 4.6 ohm speaker load directly. Mind you, that still leaves you with the problem of making up a bi-polar +/-11KVdc 4.6KA HT supply and arranging a suitable connection to the grid - 33 or 66KV to 11KV three phase 200MVA transformer anyone? :-) TBH, this looks like a project requiring the services of the "Planetary Engineering Corp."(tm) (Motto: "You give us the job and we'll do the tools.") -- Johnny B Good
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 10:51:34 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr@gmail.com wrote:

>On Sunday, 11 November 2018 04:39:41 UTC, guita...@myband.com wrote: > >> Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier using vacuum tubes. > >Mount the control rods on large long throw speaker coils, use the valve amp to drive those. No, won't work, steam doesn't have much frequency response. Maybe use the generators of a nuke plant in amplidyne mode. You'd need to make some custom ones to cover the higher frequencies if this is for audio - I hope it's not.
There are some thousands-of-PSI multi-horsepower hydraulic servo valves that get into the hundreds of Hz. Hydraulic bass drivers? I'm always impressed by big hydraulics. They move mountains, usually with reversed mechanical advantage. But my knees work with reversed mechanical advantage; if I lift a hundred pounds, my muscles must be pulling tons. I wonder why so many guys fanticize about being rock stars. Sounds dreadful to me. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com http://www.highlandtechnology.com
On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 19:53:12 GMT, Johnny B Good
<johnny-b-good@invalid.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 14:30:08 -0800, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote: > >> mandag den 12. november 2018 kl. 23.11.56 UTC+1 skrev Jon Elson: >>> On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 07:50:41 -0800, doh wrote: >>> >>> > On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 00:59:17 -0500, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote: >>> > >>> >>On 11/10/2018 11:39 PM, guitar-lead@myband.com wrote: >>> >>> Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier using vacuum >>> >>> tubes. >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>You might have to compromise a bit and run it class B though. I hope >>> >>that's alright. It'll sound okay in the cheap seats but true >>> >>audiophiles won't be impressed. >>> > >>> > I don't think the neighbors would be impressed, either. >>> >>> Ummm, maybe not "impressed", but I'd bet they'd be "blown away" - >>> literally! >>> >>> In a more practical vein, let's see, the biggest tubes I know about are >>> something like the 4CX100,000, so you'd need to parallel something like >>> 1000 of these tubes to deliver that power. These tubes cost something >>> like $50,000 or maybe $100K each, so that's 100 Million right there. >>> The output transformer would be the size of a utility substation >>> transformer, but wound with Litz wire, so you'd have to radically up >>> the cost. It would have a HELL of a turns ratio, for 18KV on the >>> plates and 8 Ohm output. So, the output would be bus bars several feet >>> square, I'd think. Can't imagine what a voice coil for that would look >>> like. >>> >>> Also, the plate cooling system would be plenty impressive. >>> >>> At the National Superconducting Cyclotron Center, they run 2 big >>> cyclotrons together, and the plate supply is 42-46 A at 18,000 V. >>> (That's roughly 3/4 megawatt.) It certainly impresses the HELL out of >>> me! >>> >>> Jon >> >> https://www.cpii.com/docs/datasheets/78/8974.pdf >> >> says it'll do 2MW AF in class AB > > That makes the 100MW tube amplifier project viable, given enough funding >to buy all the supporting infrastructure to go along with the expense of >the hundred and thirty two 8974/X-2159 valves (tubes) required to create >a class B push/pull bridge output amp with 33 paralleled tubes making up >each of the four elements in the bridge output circuit to drive your >100MW rated 4.6 ohm speaker load directly.
The interesting question is, how to make a 100 MW speaker (not just PMPO :-). I guess you could have to use tubing for the voice coil and run liquid nitrogen or helium through the coil to dissipate the heat. In order to avoid the output transformer, one would have to minimize the amplifier output impedance but still need a very high impedance speaker. You can get the output impedance low e.g. with parallel connected triodes. If you are forced to use multiple speakers, put them in series (with some mutual resonance issues). Old OTL stages might need 1000 ohm speakers, so it would be easy to obtain the needed load impedance.
> Mind you, that still leaves you with the problem of making up a bi-polar >+/-11KVdc 4.6KA HT supply and arranging a suitable connection to the grid >- 33 or 66KV to 11KV three phase 200MVA transformer anyone? :-)
That is the easy part. Even quite large power plant generators have only 5-20 kV output voltages so a 10/400 kV transformer is needed to feed the national grid. Look for a dismantled coal fired power plant and run the transformer in reverse directly from the 400 kV national grid.
> > TBH, this looks like a project requiring the services of the "Planetary >Engineering Corp."(tm) (Motto: "You give us the job and we'll do the >tools.")
On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 16:41:03 +0000 (UTC),
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:

>krw@notreal.com wrote in news:jijjudh0naqb67f8et5jtmpdm5pmal44rj@4ax.com: > >> there was big business in artillery tables. > >From which came the ENIAC, and what we use as computers today.
ENIAC was originally just a manually reprogrammable calculator, only much later it was capable of execute stored programs.
> The Bomb was for decrypting the Enigma, but artillery computation desires >are responsible for our programming roots and our hardware device roots.
This was also just a preprogrammed special purpose calculator.
On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 13:04:40 -0800, John Larkin
<jjlarkin@highland_snip_technology.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 10:51:34 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr@gmail.com wrote: > >>On Sunday, 11 November 2018 04:39:41 UTC, guita...@myband.com wrote: >> >>> Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier using vacuum tubes. >> >>Mount the control rods on large long throw speaker coils, use the valve amp to drive those. No, won't work, steam doesn't have much frequency response. Maybe use the generators of a nuke plant in amplidyne mode. You'd need to make some custom ones to cover the higher frequencies if this is for audio - I hope it's not. > >There are some thousands-of-PSI multi-horsepower hydraulic servo >valves that get into the hundreds of Hz. Hydraulic bass drivers?
There are also "digital" hydraulic valves so you do not even need a DAC, just do the SPDIF serial/parallel conversion and control the different bits to different size "bit" valves directly :-).
On Wednesday, 14 November 2018 21:04:51 UTC, John Larkin  wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 10:51:34 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote: > >On Sunday, 11 November 2018 04:39:41 UTC, guita...@myband.com wrote: > > > >> Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier using vacuum tubes. > > > >Mount the control rods on large long throw speaker coils, use the valve amp to drive those. No, won't work, steam doesn't have much frequency response. Maybe use the generators of a nuke plant in amplidyne mode. You'd need to make some custom ones to cover the higher frequencies if this is for audio - I hope it's not. > > There are some thousands-of-PSI multi-horsepower hydraulic servo > valves that get into the hundreds of Hz. Hydraulic bass drivers?
hydraulics are just control & gearing, but it's a way to use a cheap high power drive, the compressor.
> I'm always impressed by big hydraulics. They move mountains, usually > with reversed mechanical advantage. But my knees work with reversed > mechanical advantage; if I lift a hundred pounds, my muscles must be > pulling tons. > > I wonder why so many guys fanticize about being rock stars. Sounds > dreadful to me.
Sounds great to people with no other opportunities. Not stuck in an office all day, saying yes sir yes sir for a bit above minimum wage. Most buy into the money wasted on superficial junk thing. I prefer to do something useful. NT