Ultra-low power switching boost converter - in a DIP

Started by Peabody August 21, 2016
For a hobby project, I've found the perfect part for converting battery
power to a very low current (2 ma at most) 28V power supply.  And that is
the Linear Technologies LT8410-1 "Ultralow Power Boost Converter".

The problem is that the only package available is a tiny surface mount
chip that's 2 x 2 millimeters, which effectively makes it impossible to
deal with using a soldering iron.

Does anyone know of a solution that would let me use this chip - a
socket, or some way to solder it?  Or, does anyone know of another part
that performs similarly but has a more hobby-friendly package option?

Thanks for any suggestions.

On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 11:13:07 -0500, Peabody
<waybackNO584SPAM44@yahoo.com> wrote:

>For a hobby project, I've found the perfect part for converting battery >power to a very low current (2 ma at most) 28V power supply. And that is >the Linear Technologies LT8410-1 "Ultralow Power Boost Converter". > >The problem is that the only package available is a tiny surface mount >chip that's 2 x 2 millimeters, which effectively makes it impossible to >deal with using a soldering iron. > >Does anyone know of a solution that would let me use this chip - a >socket, or some way to solder it? Or, does anyone know of another part >that performs similarly but has a more hobby-friendly package option? > >Thanks for any suggestions.
LTC3803 is a nice little boost converter in a leaded package. Supply current is a little higher, and it needs an external fet, 2N7002 maybe. Or you could design your own circuit. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics
On 08/21/2016 12:13 PM, Peabody wrote:
> For a hobby project, I've found the perfect part for converting battery > power to a very low current (2 ma at most) 28V power supply. And that is > the Linear Technologies LT8410-1 "Ultralow Power Boost Converter". > > The problem is that the only package available is a tiny surface mount > chip that's 2 x 2 millimeters, which effectively makes it impossible to > deal with using a soldering iron. > > Does anyone know of a solution that would let me use this chip - a > socket, or some way to solder it? Or, does anyone know of another part > that performs similarly but has a more hobby-friendly package option? > > Thanks for any suggestions. >
Various outfits sell SMT breakout boards fairly cheap. I like the Bellin Dynamic Systems ones, available from Newark. You might have to use paste and a heat gun to get it onto the breakout, but after that it's plain sailing. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net
> On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 11:13:07 -0500, Peabody > <waybackNO584SPAM44@yahoo.com> wrote: > >> For a hobby project, I've found the perfect part for converting battery >> power to a very low current (2 ma at most) 28V power supply. And that is >> the Linear Technologies LT8410-1 "Ultralow Power Boost Converter". >> >> The problem is that the only package available is a tiny surface mount >> chip that's 2 x 2 millimeters, which effectively makes it impossible to >> deal with using a soldering iron. >> >> Does anyone know of a solution that would let me use this chip - a >> socket, or some way to solder it? Or, does anyone know of another part >> that performs similarly but has a more hobby-friendly package option? >> >> Thanks for any suggestions. > > LTC3803 is a nice little boost converter in a leaded package. Supply > current is a little higher, and it needs an external fet, 2N7002 > maybe.
Data sheet says it's optimized for high input voltages. What low voltages have you used it for, and how did it cope? Clifford Heath.
On 2016-08-21, Peabody <waybackNO584SPAM44@yahoo.com> wrote:
> For a hobby project, I've found the perfect part for converting battery > power to a very low current (2 ma at most) 28V power supply. And that is > the Linear Technologies LT8410-1 "Ultralow Power Boost Converter". > > The problem is that the only package available is a tiny surface mount > chip that's 2 x 2 millimeters, which effectively makes it impossible to > deal with using a soldering iron. > > Does anyone know of a solution that would let me use this chip - a > socket, or some way to solder it? Or, does anyone know of another part > that performs similarly but has a more hobby-friendly package option?
upside down. put a 1mm wire across the centre pad and solder the ends down, use finer wires for the other pads. -- This email has not been checked by half-arsed antivirus software
On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 6:02:31 PM UTC-4, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> On 08/21/2016 12:13 PM, Peabody wrote: > > For a hobby project, I've found the perfect part for converting battery > > power to a very low current (2 ma at most) 28V power supply. And that is > > the Linear Technologies LT8410-1 "Ultralow Power Boost Converter". > > > > The problem is that the only package available is a tiny surface mount > > chip that's 2 x 2 millimeters, which effectively makes it impossible to > > deal with using a soldering iron. > > > > Does anyone know of a solution that would let me use this chip - a > > socket, or some way to solder it? Or, does anyone know of another part > > that performs similarly but has a more hobby-friendly package option? > > > > Thanks for any suggestions. > > > > Various outfits sell SMT breakout boards fairly cheap. I like the > Bellin Dynamic Systems ones, available from Newark. You might have to > use paste and a heat gun to get it onto the breakout, but after that > it's plain sailing. > > Cheers > > Phil Hobbs > > -- > Dr Philip C D Hobbs > Principal Consultant > ElectroOptical Innovations LLC > Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics > > 160 North State Road #203 > Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 > > hobbs at electrooptical dot net > http://electrooptical.net
+1 that was my suggestion. Lots on DK too. http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/prototyping-products/adapter-breakout-boards/2360393 George H.
On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 10:29:15 +1000, Clifford Heath
<no.spam@please.net> wrote:

>On 22/08/16 03:04, John Larkin wrote: >> On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 11:13:07 -0500, Peabody >> <waybackNO584SPAM44@yahoo.com> wrote: >> >>> For a hobby project, I've found the perfect part for converting battery >>> power to a very low current (2 ma at most) 28V power supply. And that is >>> the Linear Technologies LT8410-1 "Ultralow Power Boost Converter". >>> >>> The problem is that the only package available is a tiny surface mount >>> chip that's 2 x 2 millimeters, which effectively makes it impossible to >>> deal with using a soldering iron. >>> >>> Does anyone know of a solution that would let me use this chip - a >>> socket, or some way to solder it? Or, does anyone know of another part >>> that performs similarly but has a more hobby-friendly package option? >>> >>> Thanks for any suggestions. >> >> LTC3803 is a nice little boost converter in a leaded package. Supply >> current is a little higher, and it needs an external fet, 2N7002 >> maybe. > >Data sheet says it's optimized for high input voltages. >What low voltages have you used it for, and how did it cope? > >Clifford Heath.
24 to 1400. Worked great. OP didn't say what his battery voltage is. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics
On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 18:02:23 -0400, Phil Hobbs

>On 08/21/2016 12:13 PM, Peabody wrote: >> For a hobby project, I've found the perfect part for converting battery >> power to a very low current (2 ma at most) 28V power supply. And that is >> the Linear Technologies LT8410-1 "Ultralow Power Boost Converter". >> >> The problem is that the only package available is a tiny surface mount >> chip that's 2 x 2 millimeters, which effectively makes it impossible to >> deal with using a soldering iron. >> >> Does anyone know of a solution that would let me use this chip - a >> socket, or some way to solder it? Or, does anyone know of another part >> that performs similarly but has a more hobby-friendly package option? >> >> Thanks for any suggestions. >> > >Various outfits sell SMT breakout boards fairly cheap. I like the >Bellin Dynamic Systems ones, available from Newark. You might have to >use paste and a heat gun to get it onto the breakout, but after that >it's plain sailing. > >Cheers > >Phil Hobbs
Do they make QFN adapters? There's a post-it on my door that says NO QFNS. Everybody hates them. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics
Jasen Betts says...

 > upside down. put a 1mm wire across the centre pad and
 > solder the ends down, use finer wires for the other
 > pads.

I would never have thought of that, I'm ashamed to say.
Thanks very much.

George Herold says...

 > On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 6:02:31 PM UTC-4, Phil
 > Hobbs wrote:

 >> Various outfits sell SMT breakout boards fairly cheap.
 >> I like the Bellin Dynamic Systems ones, available from
 >> Newark.  You might have to use paste and a heat gun to
 >> get it onto the breakout, but after that it's plain
 >> sailing.

 > +1 that was my suggestion.  Lots on DK too.

 > http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/prototyping-pro
 > ducts/adapter-breako ut-boards/2360393

The problem with all those that I've found so far is that
they don't provide for the thermal/ground pad underneath the
center of the chip.  But I'm not sure I really need that.
The data sheet is pretty clear in saying that that pad
"must" be soldered to the PC board, but if I'm only looking
at a few milliamps of output current, I'm not sure that's
really necessary.

I've been watching videos on Youtube of guys using soldering
paste and heat guns to do actual reflow work.  But I still
wonder about the themal pad underneath - I guess it would
reflow there in a legit oven, but not sure about a heat gun.

Jason Betts says mount it upside down. and solder thin wires
to the pins, and a thicker wire across the thermal pad.  I'm
liking that idea more and more, subject to it broadcasting
too much noise.

Anyway, thank very much for the replies and suggestions.