Magamp oscillator

Started by Piotr Wyderski November 3, 2015
I think you're correct. I saw this: <http://www.telephonetribute.com/switches_survey_chapter_12.html> which seems to say that the subharmonic mag-amps were energized by utility 60Hz power and DC rotary convertors handled power outages. US patent US2452239 shows a local application but again the ringing generator is pumped at 60Hz. piglet
On 04/11/2015 10:00, whit3rd wrote:

> Magnetic amplifiers are in the general class of 'parametric amplifiers'; I think > some of the ferroresonant tricks were given names such as "parametric > transformer", but one would have to search a lot of old sales brochures to be sure. >
Many thanks for clarifying - makes mag-amps seem less terrifying when I can relate them to varactor para-amps! piglet

Right. Core saturation creates a nonlinear element that can do things, but it needs an AC pump. Here is a diode acting like a subharmonic oscillator. Same sort of idea. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53724080/Circuits/Oscillators/SubHarmonic.jpg Quick proof-of-concept hack. Could be optimized. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com http://www.highlandtechnology.com
On 11/06/2015 03:50 PM, John Larkin wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 08:55:37 +0000, piglet <erichpwagner@hotmail.com> > wrote: > >> On 03/11/2015 10:45, Piotr Wyderski wrote: >>> Is it at all possible to build an oscillator entirely from >>> non-linear magnetics (OK, solid state diodes are allowed)? >>> >>> Best regards, Piotr >> >> There is such a thing as the "parametric transformer" about which I know >> nothing but assuming it works like a varactor diode parametric amplifier >> then I suppose it could be made to oscillate, I guess it needs a higher >> frequency pump to provide the power source? >> >> piglet > > Right. Core saturation creates a nonlinear element that can do things, > but it needs an AC pump. > > Here is a diode acting like a subharmonic oscillator. Same sort of > idea. > > https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53724080/Circuits/Oscillators/SubHarmonic.jpg > > Quick proof-of-concept hack. Could be optimized.
That happens in active peak detectors too, if you get the time constants wrong. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net
On 06/11/15 21:50, John Larkin wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 08:55:37 +0000, piglet <erichpwagner@hotmail.com> > wrote: > >> On 03/11/2015 10:45, Piotr Wyderski wrote: >>> Is it at all possible to build an oscillator entirely from >>> non-linear magnetics (OK, solid state diodes are allowed)? >>> >>> Best regards, Piotr >> >> There is such a thing as the "parametric transformer" about which I know >> nothing but assuming it works like a varactor diode parametric amplifier >> then I suppose it could be made to oscillate, I guess it needs a higher >> frequency pump to provide the power source? >> >> piglet > > Right. Core saturation creates a nonlinear element that can do things, > but it needs an AC pump. > > Here is a diode acting like a subharmonic oscillator. Same sort of > idea. > > https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53724080/Circuits/Oscillators/SubHarmonic.jpg > > Quick proof-of-concept hack. Could be optimized.
You brought this up some time ago when I asked about passive circuits generating lower frequencies from a single higher input frequency. (The equivalent of what a BBO crystal does with light.) But this doesn't work. What you're really seeing in this circuit is just the switch-on transient response of the tank, and which dies out pretty quickly. Jeroen Belleman
Phil - do you know of a source for tunnel diodes? Preferably less than
$100.

Hul

On 06/11/15 22:34, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> On 11/06/2015 03:50 PM, John Larkin wrote: >> On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 08:55:37 +0000, piglet <erichpwagner@hotmail.com> >> wrote: >> >>> On 03/11/2015 10:45, Piotr Wyderski wrote: >>>> Is it at all possible to build an oscillator entirely from >>>> non-linear magnetics (OK, solid state diodes are allowed)? >>>> >>>> Best regards, Piotr >>> >>> There is such a thing as the "parametric transformer" about which I know >>> nothing but assuming it works like a varactor diode parametric amplifier >>> then I suppose it could be made to oscillate, I guess it needs a higher >>> frequency pump to provide the power source? >>> >>> piglet >> >> Right. Core saturation creates a nonlinear element that can do things, >> but it needs an AC pump. >> >> Here is a diode acting like a subharmonic oscillator. Same sort of >> idea. >> >> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53724080/Circuits/Oscillators/SubHarmonic.jpg >> >> >> Quick proof-of-concept hack. Could be optimized. > > That happens in active peak detectors too, if you get the time constants > wrong. > > Cheers > > Phil Hobbs
In active circuitry, sure. I'd like to see some passive circuit that does this. Non-linearity is not enough. You need a bifurcation in the phase space trajectory. Something with a tunnel diode would work. Jeroen Belleman
On 11/06/2015 05:30 PM, Hul Tytus wrote:
> Phil - do you know of a source for tunnel diodes? Preferably less than > $100. > > Hul > > Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote: >> On 11/03/2015 10:54 AM, John Larkin wrote: >>> On Tue, 3 Nov 2015 16:19:34 +0100, Piotr Wyderski >>> <peter.pan@neverland.mil> wrote: >>> >>>> John Larkin wrote: >>>> >>>>> If you mean a DC powered circuit that oscillates using only passive >>>>> parts and diodes, no relays or such, I've never seen it done. >>>> >>>> I'm not sure if you can call a magnetic amplifier a passive part. >>>> It can exhibit admirable power gain, but needs to be powered by AC, >>>> for example: >>>> >>>> http://sparkbangbuzz.com/mag-audio-amp/mag-audio-amp.htm >>>> >>>> The guy claims it has the gain of 2000. So recently, I have >>>> started to wonder if you can use such a device as a DC-powered >>>> oscillator. I agree, the answer "yes" would be a surprise, but >>>> maybe it is "yes" indeed? >>>> >>>> Best regards, Piotr >>> >>> You can also make an amplifier or an oscillator using varicap and >>> rectifier diodes, but it also needs an AC pump. >>> >>> Since nobody has done what you suggest in about 200 years of >>> tinkering, I suspect it can't be done. >>> >>> >>> >> Well, tunnel diodes work. > >> Cheers > >> Phil Hobbs >
You can get back diodes, which are similar but not exactly the same as TDs for oscillators and triggers. My stash all came from eBay. Most of the old-style TDs had gross amounts of capacitance, like 200 pF. If you want speed, you have to find diodes with 100-200mA peak currents. Most of mine are only a few mA. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net
On 11/06/2015 05:41 PM, jeroen Belleman wrote:
> On 06/11/15 22:34, Phil Hobbs wrote: >> On 11/06/2015 03:50 PM, John Larkin wrote: >>> On Wed, 4 Nov 2015 08:55:37 +0000, piglet <erichpwagner@hotmail.com> >>> wrote: >>> >>>> On 03/11/2015 10:45, Piotr Wyderski wrote: >>>>> Is it at all possible to build an oscillator entirely from >>>>> non-linear magnetics (OK, solid state diodes are allowed)? >>>>> >>>>> Best regards, Piotr >>>> >>>> There is such a thing as the "parametric transformer" about which I >>>> know >>>> nothing but assuming it works like a varactor diode parametric >>>> amplifier >>>> then I suppose it could be made to oscillate, I guess it needs a higher >>>> frequency pump to provide the power source? >>>> >>>> piglet >>> >>> Right. Core saturation creates a nonlinear element that can do things, >>> but it needs an AC pump. >>> >>> Here is a diode acting like a subharmonic oscillator. Same sort of >>> idea. >>> >>> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53724080/Circuits/Oscillators/SubHarmonic.jpg >>> >>> >>> >>> Quick proof-of-concept hack. Could be optimized. >> >> That happens in active peak detectors too, if you get the time constants >> wrong. >> >> Cheers >> >> Phil Hobbs > > In active circuitry, sure. I'd like to see some passive circuit that > does this. Non-linearity is not enough. You need a bifurcation in > the phase space trajectory. > > Something with a tunnel diode would work. > > Jeroen Belleman
You don't think that a 1N5819 and a tank circuit is passive? Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net

Lots of people make "back diodes" which are tunnel diodes with low Ip currents. They are really designed to be RF detectors, although they do have a negative resistance region. http://www.mpulsemw.com/Tunnel_Diode.htm Somebody (GPD I think) was making the original GE Ge TDs for a while, the fast switchers, but they may be gone now. I can't find them. These folks sell TDs, but I don't know if they are old stock or new manufactured. http://www.americanmicrosemi.com/OnlineStore/Diodes/tunnel-diodes/