Splattering solder into eye?

Started by Peter Hucker October 25, 2008
"Peter Hucker" <none@spam.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering > into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my > eye. How bad is it? >
Wear glasses. I do. All of this talk of laser-eye-surgery. Yeah right!! Like I need that. Doesn't protect your eyes from fast moving projectiles and springs. Mine have saved me time and time again.
"Claude Hopper" <boobooililililil@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> > No but I used to get the smoke from frying rosin in my eye when I used > to build short wave radios many years ago. Burns like nothing else. > > Safety glasses don't help for that. > > -- > Claude Hopper :) > > ? ? &#4294967295;
Safety glasses don't help with rosin smoke but smoke/fume absorbers do. Rosin fumes do more than irritate your eyes too. If you are around rosin smoke on a regular basis, you really should consider getting one. You can get a Weller WSA350 desktop filter for under $50. Your eyes and lungs will thank you. I don't do much soldering on a regular basis, but if I had to wear eye protection daily I'd probably opt for a face shield. The glasses impede vision too much for me. Besides, it's tough wearing prescription glasses under safety glasses. I've burned myself plenty of times with electronics solder and improperly placed irons, but the worst incident I can remember has to be related to a tight crawl space and copper water pipe. I got lucky that day and only managed to burn my lower eyelid a little. I guess in the grand scheme of things the possibility of burning the house down because I can't see through the safety glasses outweighs the possibility of losing sight in an eye. GlenB www.all-spec.com
On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 21:40:32 -0000, Aly <sf333ddf@sfsss'=3D-3498hfn2nmdf=
0xdh3222a]].c> wrote:

> "Peter Hucker" <none@spam.com> wrote in message > news:op.ujk7x4q44buhsv@fx62.mshome.net... >> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splatterin=
>> into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in=
my
>> eye. How bad is it? >> > > Wear glasses. I do. > > All of this talk of laser-eye-surgery. Yeah right!! Like I need that=
.
> Doesn't protect your eyes from fast moving projectiles and springs. M=
ine
> have saved me time and time again.
On the subject of glasses, do you ever notice a reflection in them? Do = your eyes ever get distracted by dirt on the glass? Do you ever get ann= oyed that you can see the rim when you look to the right or left? I'd g= o for contact lenses or perhaps laser surgery, then wear safety specs if= I felt the need. -- = http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com http:= //www.petersphotos.com I got to thinking about my divorce the other day. (Well, not like it's ever far from my thoughts.) And I had the thought that eventually goes through every couple's head at least once in a relationship: "What did I ever see in you?" We argued about everything. There just couldn't have been two people more incompatible. Just as an example. When we decided we wanted a child, we discussed videotaping the event. She wanted to videotape the birth. *I*, on the other hand, wanted to videotape the conception.

There must be some glasses that don't impede vision. Wrap around type? Something skiiers might wear? -- http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com http://www.petersphotos.com A penguin had to take his car for engine repair. The mechanic told the penguin to leave his car with him for about two hours, to find out whats wrong. The penguin goes across the street to a grocery store, climbs into a freezer and eats vanilla ice cream. When the two hours was up the penguin went back to the garage to find out what happened to his car. When the penguin entered the garage, the mechanic looked at him and said, "Looks like you blew a seal."
<sf333ddf@sfsss'=-3498hfn2nmdf0xdh3222a]].c> wrote:

>On the subject of glasses, do you ever notice a reflection in them? Do >your eyes ever get distracted by dirt on >the glass? Do you ever get >annoyed that you can see the rim when you look to the right or left? I'd >go for >contact lenses or perhaps laser surgery, then wear safety specs if >I felt the need.
Erm, actually no. I've had glasses all of my life. Yes, from the sounds of things, I think it's probably best that you don't wear them.
Peter Hucker wrote:
> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder > splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, > but never in my eye. How bad is it?
Try it and see ! It hurts slightly more if you wear glasses and have to pay for new lenses. geoff
William Sommerwerck wrote:
>> Not bad, you may just loose your eye. WEAR SAFTY GLASSES! > > It's hard to believe, but I'm actually seeing the English language's > pronunciation and spelling change. For example, Americans are > starting to adopt the British pronunciations of certain words, > principally by changing the stressed syllable.
Well that can only be an improvement. Now for the misuse of words to be addressed... geoff
Anthony Fremont wrote:
> Peter Hucker wrote: >> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder >> splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, >> but never in my eye. How bad is it? > > I think you'll find a much larger set of people that have picked up a > soldering iron from the wrong end. Interestingly, you'll find that > they probably never did it again though.
Holding it against your cheek to see if hot was a particularly dumb thing I did one Monday morning. It was. geoff

Odd, I know someone who wears glasses and didn't have to get new lenses. What on earth are your glasses made of? -- http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com http://www.petersphotos.com What does Michael Jackson like about twenty-eight year olds? The fact that there are twenty of them.

Ever had a glue gun fight? -- http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com http://www.petersphotos.com Helpdesk: Click on the 'my computer' icon on the left of the screen. Customer: Your left or my left?