Reply by Michael_A_Terrell August 18, 20202020-08-18
Phil Hobbs wrote:
> On 2020-08-17 23:44, Michael_A_Terrell wrote: >> AK wrote: >>> >>> How are you managing to splatter solder that far? >>> >>> Solder melts, not explodes. >> >> >> Only a fool would believe that. >> >> I was re-soldering a lug on a tube socket of some Military surplus >> when I was about 16. The bad joint was full of rosin that tossed the >> solder about 18 inches and onto my bare thigh. It was summertime, and >> I didn't expect it. It was too hot for pants, so I received a nasty >> burn that took months to heal. It looked like someone had put out a >> cigar on my skin. The burn was bigger than a US nickle. >> >> I've had cheap rosin cored solder do similar, but not near as much >> molten solder. I switched to Ersin Multicore in 1970 and never looked >> back. > > Maybe we can get into a my-favourite-editor argument about solder. ;) > I'm a Kester 44 man all the way--I have a lot of well-aged junkbox > parts, and RA flux is the bomb.
They used Kester at Cincinnati Electronics. I got into an argument with the DCAS inspector. He insisted that Ersin didn't meet the contract requirements. I brought i an empty spool to show him that it was QQ571 certified. It is also RA solder. I have .031" and .015" with multiple flux cores. It wetted better than the Kester on old parts and rework. Some people preferred the Alpha solder that Heathkit supplied with their kits, because the like how the burning flux smelled. I was desperate once and ad to buy some Oatey. They crap spitted and sputtered, as it rolled off the joint you were trying to solder, leaving the work covered in some plastic smelling flux. I have almost ten pounds of Tin/Antimony solder. It did a beautiful job, when it was all I had on hand to put together the 2" and 3" copper plumbing for a TV transmitter. That job was a PITA. Some character had repaired leaks from bad solder by brazing over leaks at irreplaceable brass fittings that were almost 40 year sold. -- Never piss off an Engineer! They don't get mad. They don't get even. They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply by Phil Hobbs August 18, 20202020-08-18
On 2020-08-17 23:44, Michael_A_Terrell wrote:
> AK wrote: >> >> How are you managing to splatter solder that far? >> >> Solder melts, not explodes. > > >    Only a fool would believe that. > >    I was re-soldering a lug on a tube socket of some Military surplus > when I was about 16. The bad joint was full of rosin that tossed the > solder about 18 inches and onto my bare thigh. It was summertime, and I > didn't expect it. It was too hot for pants, so I received a nasty burn > that took months to heal. It looked like someone had put out a cigar on > my skin. The burn was bigger than a US nickle. > > I've had cheap rosin cored solder do similar, but not near as much > molten solder. I switched to Ersin Multicore in 1970 and never looked back.
Maybe we can get into a my-favourite-editor argument about solder. ;) I'm a Kester 44 man all the way--I have a lot of well-aged junkbox parts, and RA flux is the bomb. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 http://electrooptical.net http://hobbs-eo.com
AK wrote:
> > How are you managing to splatter solder that far? > > Solder melts, not explodes.
Only a fool would believe that. I was re-soldering a lug on a tube socket of some Military surplus when I was about 16. The bad joint was full of rosin that tossed the solder about 18 inches and onto my bare thigh. It was summertime, and I didn't expect it. It was too hot for pants, so I received a nasty burn that took months to heal. It looked like someone had put out a cigar on my skin. The burn was bigger than a US nickle. I've had cheap rosin cored solder do similar, but not near as much molten solder. I switched to Ersin Multicore in 1970 and never looked back. -- Never piss off an Engineer! They don't get mad. They don't get even. They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply by Corvid June 13, 20202020-06-13
On 06/13/2020 06:08 PM, Jasen Betts wrote:
> On 2020-06-14, AK <scientist77017@gmail.com> wrote: >> On Saturday, October 25, 2008 at 10:57:30 AM UTC-5, Peter Hucker >> wrote: >>> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder >>> splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and >>> face, but never in my eye. How bad is it? >>> >> How are you managing to splatter solder that far? > > Here's one way: > > Form a small ring in one lead of a a leaded part (like like a through > hole resistor, but this works best qith glass body diodes like > IN4148) Put a blob of solder over the ring > > Now, hold the other lead with one hand (or in a vise), clean the tip > of the soldering iron and use it to and wipe off the excess solder > from the ring. > > If you pluck the lead (like a guitar string) it wil spring back > flinging solder
I have a 132 oz. Blitz gas can that works similarly. I remove the outer cap and pull the springy retractable spout up until it clicks into place while flinging droplets into my face.
Reply by Jasen Betts June 13, 20202020-06-13
On 2020-06-14, AK <scientist77017@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, October 25, 2008 at 10:57:30 AM UTC-5, Peter Hucker wrote: >> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my eye. How bad is it? >> >> -- >> http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com http://www.petersphotos.com >> >> Confuscious say: "War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left." > > How are you managing to splatter solder that far?
Here's one way: Form a small ring in one lead of a a leaded part (like like a through hole resistor, but this works best qith glass body diodes like IN4148) Put a blob of solder over the ring Now, hold the other lead with one hand (or in a vise), clean the tip of the soldering iron and use it to and wipe off the excess solder from the ring. If you pluck the lead (like a guitar string) it wil spring back flinging solder -- Jasen.
Reply by AK June 13, 20202020-06-13
On Saturday, October 25, 2008 at 10:57:30 AM UTC-5, Peter Hucker wrote:
> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my eye. How bad is it? > > -- > http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com http://www.petersphotos.com > > Confuscious say: "War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left."
How are you managing to splatter solder that far? Solder melts, not explodes. Andy
Reply by June 10, 20202020-06-10
I have to chime in. I was once in an eye unit for something different. I splashed oven cleaner in my eye - NOT FUN.

Well there was a guy in the same waiting area as me. He got hot solder in his eye. Let's just say that he wasn't having fun. Really wasn't having fun. Like, screaming and bright red face and eye.

soo-- I'll just wear eye protection

On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 3:54:26 AM UTC-6, bruce2...@gmail.com wrote:
> Ron M. wrote: > >On Saturday, October 25, 2008 at 10:57:30 AM UTC-5, Peter Hucker wrote: > >> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my eye. How bad is it? > >> > >> -- > >> http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com http://www.petersphotos.com > >> > >> Confuscious say: "War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left." > > > >My opinion is I don't want to know what it feels like, ever. So I will > >continue wearing the glasses. YMMV > > Right, but most people don't learn from lecturers like you and reading stuff about safety and people bossing-around other people around. > These people only learn from experience.
Reply by November 22, 20172017-11-22
Ron M. wrote:
>On Saturday, October 25, 2008 at 10:57:30 AM UTC-5, Peter Hucker wrote: >> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my eye. How bad is it? >> >> -- >> http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com http://www.petersphotos.com >> >> Confuscious say: "War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left." > >My opinion is I don't want to know what it feels like, ever. So I will >continue wearing the glasses. YMMV
Right, but most people don't learn from lecturers like you and reading stuff about safety and people bossing-around other people around. These people only learn from experience.
Reply by Ron M. September 18, 20162016-09-18
On Saturday, October 25, 2008 at 10:57:30 AM UTC-5, Peter Hucker wrote:
> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my eye. How bad is it? > > -- > http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com http://www.petersphotos.com > > Confuscious say: "War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left."
My opinion is I don't want to know what it feels like, ever. So I will continue wearing the glasses. YMMV.
Reply by Benderthe.evilrobot September 17, 20162016-09-17
"WW" <ccco@bresnan.net> wrote in message
> > "Peter Hucker" <none@spam.com> wrote in message > news:op.ujk7x4q44buhsv@fx62.mshome.net... >> Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering >> into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my >> eye. How bad is it? >> >> -- >> http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com >> http://www.petersphotos.com >> >> Confuscious say: "War doesn't determine who's right. War determines >> who's left." > > Not bad, you may just loose your eye. WEAR SAFTY GLASSES!
You need a pretty big blob to do permanent damage, but even a small one can be painful. Its something that happens sometimes - mine are usually on difficult solder joints when salvaging parts, sometimes a solder joint spits as you heat it. When harvesting components with a pencil blowtorch; the spitting can be hotter - but I hold the board looking at it edgewise, the spitting goes sideways and nowhere near my face.