Unsolderable wire?

Started by Bob E. January 19, 2014
Phil Hobbs wrote:
> > On 1/19/2014 2:30 AM, Michael A. Terrell wrote: > > > > "Bob E." wrote: > >> > >>>> When it comes to broadcast TV I try to solder every connection possible. > >>>> Every crimp is one more dB lost. > >> > >> I'm no RF expert, just my impression--possibly mistaken. > > > > > > The loss should be under .1 dB for a good F connector, > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ > Jumbo shrimp alert. ;)
There are good ones, but you won't buy them at retail stores. -- Anyone wanting to run for any political office in the US should have to have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
"Bob E." wrote:
> > > 100% of the RF connectors I use for mountain top radio sites that I > > deal with are crimped, not soldered. > > This is where the original short length of RG6 was soldered to the pcb > antenna. It's an inexpensive broadcast TV antenna for home. > > Rather than make a male crimp plus a barrel to join the 2 mailes, just solder > the long run directly to the pcb. Or so I thought... > > I crimped 1/2" of center solid conductor to the braid and soldered the solid > to the pcb. It seems to work but I have no way to measure any loss. I plan to > replace this when I find some REAL copper RG6.
The loss is horrible in copper braided coax at TV frequencies. The cost is excessive, as well. 'Headend cable' used to be silver plated copper braided coax, but that was abandoned for foil & drain when headends passed 216 MHz. That silver plated coax was over a dollar a foot, in the '70s. -- Anyone wanting to run for any political office in the US should have to have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
"Phil Allison" <phil_a@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
>> Electroplated wire, most likely nickel. > > ** But nickel plated stuff solders beautifully. > > Jack plugs and sockets, DC plugs etc.
I have some mil spec, high-temp wire that's nickel plated. Beautiful stuff, strands wound in layers. It takes an unusually high temperature and a long time before the solder wets and soaks into it. It does tin, but I wouldn't say it solders "beautifully", not with ordinary fluxes. Tim -- Seven Transistor Labs Electrical Engineering Consultation Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
"Tim Williams - Wanker & TROLL"

> >> ** But nickel plated stuff solders beautifully. >> >> Jack plugs and sockets, DC plugs etc. > > I have some mil spec, high-temp wire that's nickel plated.
** Yaaaawnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.... You have a monstrous, AUTISTIC brain too.............
** Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73R7eXxjo34 Pure nickel, plated onto brass. Solders like a dream. Fuck knows what fucking shit you have. Asshole . ... Phil
On 20/01/2014 7:38 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
> "Tim Williams - Wanker & TROLL" > >
Was I the only one to see this predictable response coming & get a giggle out of it?
"Kennedy = Kunt "

FOAD   -   you stinking autistic  MORON

Interesting table: http://www.efunda.com/materials/solders/solderability.cfm
On 20/01/2014 7:45 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
> > "Kennedy = Kunt" > > > FOAD - you stinking autistic MORON >
Settle down Phil, one day you're going to blow a gasket! :)
 "Kennedy = Kunt"

 FOAD -   you stinking, pig ignorant, autistic  MORON

"Kennedy"

> Interesting table: > > http://www.efunda.com/materials/solders/solderability.cfm
** Shame it is quite wrong. As anyone with REAL experience of soldering knows. What is your experience ? Other than child molesting, that is.