Reply by Michael A. Terrell March 22, 20162016-03-22
Ralph Mowery wrote:
> > "Michael A. Terrell" <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> wrote in message > news:m9mdnav3Wty8QkzLnZ2dnUU7-UGdnZ2d@earthlink.com... > > > > "Ron M." wrote: > >> > >> Ye olde PL-259. How I despised those things. > > > > > > They are OK, if you know how to use them. With RG8, I would tin the > > braid, then use a small tubing cutter to trim it to the right length. > > Then I would drill the plating out of the four holes before soldering > > the shell to the braid. I never had one fail, when I used that method. > > Of course, it made it difficult to reuse a connector without heating the > > shell over an open flame for a few seconds so that you could pull out > > the old braid. > > I switched to the silver plated type and usually put in a few drops of > liquid flux to help out. > > For the last several years I switched over to the crimp on types and have > not had any problems with them. > > I doubt the connectors were ever designed to have much force applied to > them. If I use them at an antenna I find a way to take much of the force > off the connector.
Some A-holes like to pull the coax out of connectors, just to damage your equipment.
Reply by Ron M. February 27, 20162016-02-27
On Saturday, February 27, 2016 at 11:38:45 AM UTC-6, Michael Terrell wrote:
> "Ron M." wrote: > > > > Ye olde PL-259. How I despised those things. > > > They are OK, if you know how to use them. With RG8, I would tin the > braid, then use a small tubing cutter to trim it to the right length. > Then I would drill the plating out of the four holes before soldering > the shell to the braid. I never had one fail, when I used that method. > Of course, it made it difficult to reuse a connector without heating the > shell over an open flame for a few seconds so that you could pull out > the old braid. > > I had some CBer swear that he could pull the PL259 off of any piece > of coax. You should have seen his hands after he tried it on one of my > cables. :)
Motorola used them on mobile and fixed end equipment for the longest time. Then on fixed end they mostly went to N-type. Then they went to the mini PL-259 on mobile units which are really junk. Anything for a buck I guess.
Reply by Ralph Mowery February 27, 20162016-02-27
"Michael A. Terrell" <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > "Ron M." wrote: >> >> Ye olde PL-259. How I despised those things. > > > They are OK, if you know how to use them. With RG8, I would tin the > braid, then use a small tubing cutter to trim it to the right length. > Then I would drill the plating out of the four holes before soldering > the shell to the braid. I never had one fail, when I used that method. > Of course, it made it difficult to reuse a connector without heating the > shell over an open flame for a few seconds so that you could pull out > the old braid.
I switched to the silver plated type and usually put in a few drops of liquid flux to help out. For the last several years I switched over to the crimp on types and have not had any problems with them. I doubt the connectors were ever designed to have much force applied to them. If I use them at an antenna I find a way to take much of the force off the connector.
Reply by Michael A. Terrell February 27, 20162016-02-27
"Ron M." wrote:
> > Ye olde PL-259. How I despised those things.
They are OK, if you know how to use them. With RG8, I would tin the braid, then use a small tubing cutter to trim it to the right length. Then I would drill the plating out of the four holes before soldering the shell to the braid. I never had one fail, when I used that method. Of course, it made it difficult to reuse a connector without heating the shell over an open flame for a few seconds so that you could pull out the old braid. I had some CBer swear that he could pull the PL259 off of any piece of coax. You should have seen his hands after he tried it on one of my cables. :)
Reply by MJC February 27, 20162016-02-27
In article <nas0qb$nod$1@dont-email.me>, andrew@cucumber.demon.co.uk
says...
> > A secondary problem with soldering dissimilar metals is that any > moisture risks causing galvantic action/corrosion of the join, and > in the case of aluminium, this happens even between the aluminium > and the solder used. Selecting a flux which can strip the aluminimum > oxide well whilst not leaving any residue which eventually corrodes > the join is a bit of a challenge.
This reminded me that I once knew about "purple plague". There's an article about it in Wikipedia. Mike.
Reply by Michael A. Terrell January 21, 20142014-01-21
dave wrote:
> > On 01/20/2014 12:42 PM, Michael A. Terrell wrote: > > > > dave wrote: > >> > >> The easiest way to spot good headend cable was to try to bend it. It > >> drapes, like mic cable; not stiff. > > > > > > The easiest way was to look at the imprint: 'Belden headend cable'. > > > > > > It's easier to find in the dark if you feel for it. I knew a lot of CATV > people, including the Chief Head End Technician at Time Warner in > Houston; and we prized the supple stuff for personal use.
I had a full 1000' spool stolen from me. -- Anyone wanting to run for any political office in the US should have to have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply by dave January 21, 20142014-01-21
Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> > On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 15:42:19 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell" > <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> wrote: > > > The easiest way was to look at the imprint: 'Belden headend cable'. > > Which end is the head? (Sorry, I couldn't resist).
If you have to ask, you aren't qualified for the job. :) The entire system of amplifiers is marked as Forward or Reverse so just follow the reverse path to the head end. Unless it's Fiber enhanced CATV. -- Anyone wanting to run for any political office in the US should have to have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply by Phil Hobbs January 20, 20142014-01-20
On 1/20/2014 8:41 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 18:55:56 -0500, Phil Hobbs > <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote: > >> Sure, horses for courses. I'm not telling them how to run their lives, >> because I couldn't care less about their lives. ;) (Well, as >> individuals, sure, but as for the industry, if CATV went away completely >> tomorrow, it would suit me fine--provided only that they took their >> tarts and talking heads with them.) >> Cheers >> Phil Hobbs > > I assure you that the selection of RF connector will have no effect on > CATV content quality. I like the tarts, but can do without the > talking heads.
Nah, sufficiently crappy connectors could improve the content a lot. ;) Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net
Reply by Jeff Liebermann January 20, 20142014-01-20
On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 18:55:56 -0500, Phil Hobbs

>Sure, horses for courses. I'm not telling them how to run their lives, >because I couldn't care less about their lives. ;) (Well, as >individuals, sure, but as for the industry, if CATV went away completely >tomorrow, it would suit me fine--provided only that they took their >tarts and talking heads with them.) >Cheers >Phil Hobbs
I assure you that the selection of RF connector will have no effect on CATV content quality. I like the tarts, but can do without the talking heads. For what little it's worth, I didn't own a TV for about 15 years. Except for being somewhat culturally deprived, I didn't miss TV in the slightest. However, I then picked up a contract to review some technical videos and needed a TV and VCR to play them. I soon found myself watching broadcast TV, buying DVD's, putting together a media center, subscribing to DirecTV, Netflix, etc. Today, I find that I can't sleep without the TV running. I'm now watching a 1931 Boris Karloff movie as I type. I'm addicted. Hint: Don't judge connectors by the content they carry. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558