Using mobile phone as an internet radio

Started by jim stone October 2, 2012
On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 19:14:45 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) hofmann@att.net"
<hrhofmann@att.net> wrote:

>If you cycle a >bulb on and off every few seconds, the total on time before the bulb >fails will be only a few hundered hours for a 1000 hour rated bulb,
Every wonder where the 1000 hrs came from? <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoebus_cartel> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence> If you stress a 1000 hr incandescent bulb, the lifetime will be even less. It also applies to CFL bulbs: <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/6122459/Lifespan-of-energy-saving-bulbs-reduced-by-repeated-switching.html> The lifespan of energy-saving light bulbs can be reduced by up to 85 per cent if they are switched off and on too often... -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 21:15:59 -0400, Big Steel
<TheBigrrr669yyyyy@TheBigrrrr6669yyyy.com> wrote:

>You shit for brains your ignorance is truly amazing. You are an >undercover racist idiot. Go to the Republican side, because you are not >fit to be a Democrat. > >After Obama wins, Zimmerman will be dealt with next.
Who opened the kennel doors and let the arseholes out?
On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 08:38:54 +0100, "Paul D Smith" <paul_d_smith@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"jim stone" <tgh6h56nzh@mail.invalid> wrote in message >news:k4flsm$pbt$1@dont-email.me... >> Not being able to find a small internet radio to buy we liked, we got >> mobile phone with which we link with wi-fi to a modem router, and use it >> as an internet radio. >> >> Keeping the phoned plugged into its charger all the time, we are using it >> to play *all-day* background classical music through an amplifier and >> speakers. >> >> Since the phone has no 'moving parts' unlike a computer, we are wondering >> if this continuous playing all day of the phone is going to shorten its >> working life ? > >You'll have dropped it well before it wears out :-).
You'll wear out the batteries before you drop it and you'll want the new iThingy before the batteries die. Full employment for the phone company.
On 10/2/2012 17:21, jim stone wrote:
> Not being able to find a small internet radio to buy we liked, we got mobile > phone with which we link with wi-fi to a modem router, and use it as an > internet radio. > > Keeping the phoned plugged into its charger all the time, we are using it to > play *all-day* background classical music through an amplifier and speakers. > > Since the phone has no 'moving parts' unlike a computer, we are wondering if > this continuous playing all day of the phone is going to shorten its working > life ? > >
Does the mobile have a subscription plan; i.e. periodic payments?
Boot times are largely a function of what gets loaded prior to showing a "desktop". Different OS'es have different boot times. Check out Haiku OS. I boot to a "desktop" in under a minute. -- http://www.privacySOS.org | www.extinctioncrisis.org www.snuhwolf.9f.com|www.savewolves.org _____ ____ ____ __ /\_/\ __ _ ______ _____ / __/ |/ / / / / // // . . \\ \ |\ | / __ \ \ \ __\ _\ \/ / /_/ / _ / \ / \ \| \| \ \_\ \ \__\ _\ /___/_/|_/\____/_//_/ \_@_/ \__|\__|\____/\____\_\
On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 07:01:25 +0100, "MikeS" <misarY@gothere.ukX.com>
wrote:

>"Tom Biasi" <tombiasi@optonline.net> wrote in message >news:506b5d4b$0$9802$607ed4bc@cv.net... >> On 10/2/2012 5:21 PM, jim stone wrote: >>> Not being able to find a small internet radio to buy we liked, we got >>> mobile >>> phone with which we link with wi-fi to a modem router, and use it as an >>> internet radio. >>> >>> Keeping the phoned plugged into its charger all the time, we are using it >>> to >>> play *all-day* background classical music through an amplifier and >>> speakers. >>> >>> Since the phone has no 'moving parts' unlike a computer, we are wondering >>> if >>> this continuous playing all day of the phone is going to shorten its >>> working >>> life ? >>> >>> >> >> Using anything shortens it's working life. > >Seems to go against the whole ethos of exercising. Never get out of bed and >live forever ... >
Blanket absolute statements are often wrong... You have to match the logic to the device. Light bulbs? Off makes them last longest. A car engine? You better exercise that sucker once in awhile if it sits outside fully fueled. Many electronic devices can tolerate 24/7 with few failures. Disk drives? Now that's a question. The early ones (sealed ones - not the very early ones where the platters were removable 12" disks) seemed to do better if they ran 'til they croaked. The early drum recorders seemed to last forever as long as they didn't stop running. (the heads rode on a wave of silicon oil and never touched the belts unless they stopped)
William Sommerwerck wrote:
>>> Using anything shortens its working life. > >> I can vouch for the remark made but I can give you more details too: > >> I use smartphones, tablets and laptops to listen to internet radio all the >> time and I've only had one device that suffered because of that. What >> happened to that particular device is the WiFi quit working and it doesn't >> even work after a factory reset. > > Who knows why the WiFi quit? The radio could have failed simply because the > chip went bad. > > HP has had problems with the radios in some of its notebooks. > >
This might be where a Knoppix disk can help arbitrate between a software/configuration problem and a hardware failure. Any time I have something fail, I do the "Remove Device"/"Add Device" dance, then update drivers. If that fails, out comes the Knoppix disk. If it *still* fails, it's most likely hardware. I've been lucky so far and nothing has needed a lot of scrounging for Linux device drivers. -- Les Cargill
On 10/3/2012 1:01 AM, MikeS wrote:
> "Tom Biasi" <tombiasi@optonline.net> wrote in message > news:506b5d4b$0$9802$607ed4bc@cv.net... >> On 10/2/2012 5:21 PM, jim stone wrote: >>> Not being able to find a small internet radio to buy we liked, we got >>> mobile >>> phone with which we link with wi-fi to a modem router, and use it as an >>> internet radio. >>> >>> Keeping the phoned plugged into its charger all the time, we are using it >>> to >>> play *all-day* background classical music through an amplifier and >>> speakers. >>> >>> Since the phone has no 'moving parts' unlike a computer, we are wondering >>> if >>> this continuous playing all day of the phone is going to shorten its >>> working >>> life ? >>> >>> >> >> Using anything shortens it's working life. > > Seems to go against the whole ethos of exercising. Never get out of bed and > live forever ... > >
Be sure to use all ten fingers on the tv remote, make them last longer.
"jim stone" <tgh6h56nzh@mail.invalid> wrote in message
> Not being able to find a small internet radio to buy we liked, we got > mobile phone with which we link with wi-fi to a modem router, and use it > as an internet radio. > > Keeping the phoned plugged into its charger all the time, we are using it > to play *all-day* background classical music through an amplifier and > speakers. > > Since the phone has no 'moving parts' unlike a computer, we are wondering > if this continuous playing all day of the phone is going to shorten its > working life ? >
The bits that will fail [first] in a mobile phone are the battery and display. You can replace the battery and switch off the display. I have two 40+ year old solid state radios that still work.
On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 14:48:40 -0500, amdx <amdx@knology.net> wrote:

>On 10/3/2012 1:01 AM, MikeS wrote: >> "Tom Biasi" <tombiasi@optonline.net> wrote in message >> news:506b5d4b$0$9802$607ed4bc@cv.net... >>> On 10/2/2012 5:21 PM, jim stone wrote: >>>> Not being able to find a small internet radio to buy we liked, we got >>>> mobile >>>> phone with which we link with wi-fi to a modem router, and use it as an >>>> internet radio. >>>> >>>> Keeping the phoned plugged into its charger all the time, we are using it >>>> to >>>> play *all-day* background classical music through an amplifier and >>>> speakers. >>>> >>>> Since the phone has no 'moving parts' unlike a computer, we are wondering >>>> if >>>> this continuous playing all day of the phone is going to shorten its >>>> working >>>> life ? >>>> >>>> >>> >>> Using anything shortens it's working life. >> >> Seems to go against the whole ethos of exercising. Never get out of bed and >> live forever ... >> >> > Be sure to use all ten fingers on the tv remote, make them last longer.
The TV, the remote, or the fingers?