A letter to President Biden

Started by Mike Monett VE3BTI October 19, 2022
On 11/3/22 22:18, Flyguy wrote:
> corvid wrote: >> Flyguy wrote... >>> Flying gliders IS a high-risk activity - I will not deny that. >>> You spend A LOT of your flight time in a classic stall-spin >>> regime: high bank angle at near stall speed. And the air around >>> you can be quite turbulent, which can lead to a sudden tail gust >>> that stalls you. At altitude, this is a non-event, but close to >>> the terrain, it is deadly. A good friend of mine, highly >>> experienced with thousands of hours in all types of aircraft, >>> commercial and military, was killed in this manner. >> A tail gust doesn't stall the wing. That's like the 'downwind >> turn' myth. Nor does the nebulous "near stall speed". Bank angle >> doesn't do it either. >> >> Have you ever been in a spin, maybe in a C150 during training? I >> imagine the glider is not approved for intentional spins, but it >> must spin r-e-a-l-l-y slowly if it happens. Is there enough rudder >> to stop it? Are you the test pilot? > > A tail gust certainly CAN and sometimes DOES stall a glider. Being > flown close to stall speed to being with, a tail gust effectively > reduces the airspeed to below the stall speed.
That doesn't increase the angle-o'-attack. Look at the retreating blade of a helicopter. Going toward the inboard end, closer to the hub, airspeed can reach zero, and then reverse.
> Really, this involves > the critical angle of attack, which is over the head of the readers > of this newsgroup, so I won't discuss it.
Right.
On Friday, November 4, 2022 at 12:17:29 AM UTC-7, DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote:
> TrumpChump <Trumpdingle...@yahoo.com> wrote in > news:72333e81-8bb9-4eca...@googlegroups.com: > > On Thursday, November 3, 2022 at 11:24:03 AM UTC-7, > > DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote: > >> FlyDope <evenmorest...@yahoo.com> wrote in > >> news:b615c81e-3aff-462f...@googlegroups.com: > >> > Sorry, DecayedBrainMatter, but your numbers are way off. Be > >> > aware that even a production run of 100 is pretty high in the > >> > glider community - it is NOT a high run consumer product. > >> It was not a "production run" you fucking retard. That is the > >> entire number they have ever made. If it was a production line > >> item, meny more would have been produced, idiot. They are likely > >> crafted one or two at a time. The number reflects popularity in > >> the realm. It is not that high, and not so for the reason you > >> tried to give. > > > > Your ignorance is at a level unknown to mankind, fool. > Hahahaha... This TrumpTarded utter idiot calling someone... > anyone other than himself a fool. Now that's is a joke on mankind. > > You have NO > > IDEA what serial aircraft production consists of, > You have no idea what I may or may not have any ideas about > anything, putz motherfucker. > > and have a > > hermetically sealed mind about learning. > I learn every day. When are you going to learn that you backed a > loser and still have your head stuffed up his fat, skanky, criminal > ass? You espousing on someone's learning capacity is absolutely > laughable. > > Production gliders are > > certified under the European authority EASA after all required > > testing protocols have been successfully completed - an involved > > process. > Yes, they followed the lead of US safety authorities. So I am > quite familiar with it. > > The glider manufacturing market is small by US standards, > Your capacity to obtain, much less grasp factual statistics is 100% > in question, which makes your credibility in making such a statement > pretty much nil. Picking Trump after FAILING to perform your due > diligence and VET the proven lifelong criminal pretty much seals that > fact. You have zero analytical capacity, and you have proven it here > as you remain attached to his ass as a TrumpDingleberry. > > snipped unvisited stupid link.
Everything you wrote here makes a dung hill look like a pimple. You simply can't make a coherent argument about anything, and you obviously don't know shit about the aircraft industry in general, and glider manufacturing in particular. Just crawl back into the hole you came out of.
On Friday, November 4, 2022 at 2:58:07 AM UTC-7, bill....@ieee.org wrote:
> On Friday, November 4, 2022 at 4:18:21 PM UTC+11, Flyguy wrote: > > On Thursday, November 3, 2022 at 12:04:47 PM UTC-7, corvid wrote: > > > On 11/3/22 08:28, Flyguy wrote: > > > > On Tuesday, November 1, 2022 at 6:30:52 PM UTC-7, bill....@ieee.org > > > > wrote: > > > >> On Wednesday, November 2, 2022 at 12:15:51 PM UTC+11, corvid > > > >> wrote: > > > >>> On 11/1/22 15:14, DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote: > > > >>>> corvid <b...@ckb.ird> wrote in news:tjn2j0$7te$1...@gioia.aioe.org: > > > >>>>> On 10/30/22 12:11, Flyspeck wrote: > > > >>>>>> On Sunday, October 30, 2022 at 11:38:36 AM UTC-7, corvid wrote: > > > >>>>>>> On 10/30/22 09:32, DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote: > > > >>>>>>>> > > > >>>>>>>> Just like everything else he spews, this GnatTurd > > > >>>>>>>> idiot can't get anything right. I sure hope to hell he > > > >>>>>>>> never pilots an airplane. What an idiot. > > > >>>>> > > > >>>>> Yikes. At least he won't be chopping up people with that > > > >>>>> propeller. > > > >>>>> > > > >>>>>>> Has Flyspeck ever said what kind of airplane he owns? > > > >>>>>> > > > >>>>>> ASH 31Mi > > > >>>>> > > > >>>>> Watching some YouTubes, sometimes they sound a bit creaky > > > >>>>> after the engine is shut off. Yours do that? > > > >>>>> > > > >>>> > > > >>>> There have only been 100 made. Scrutinous pilots and buyers > > > >>>> must know something. > > > >>> I found FOUR accident reports for them. One of them a mere > > > >>> wheel-up landing, another had the pilot bail out. > > > >>> > > > >>> Another was a fatality when the ridge-soaring pilot hit a ridge. > > > >>> The maggot probably just thermals over flatlands. > > > >> Even that can kill you. One of my wife's graduate students lost her > > > >> fiance to a crash in an international soaring competition in Poland > > > >> (which is pretty flat). > > > > > > > > Flying gliders IS a high-risk activity - I will not deny that. You > > > > spend A LOT of your flight time in a classic stall-spin regime: high > > > > bank angle at near stall speed. And the air around you can be quite > > > > turbulent, which can lead to a sudden tail gust that stalls you. At > > > > altitude, this is a non-event, but close to the terrain, it is > > > > deadly. A good friend of mine, highly experienced with thousands of > > > > hours in all types of aircraft, commercial and military, was killed > > > > in this manner. > > > > > > A tail gust doesn't stall the wing. That's like the 'downwind turn' > > > myth. Nor does the nebulous "near stall speed". Bank angle doesn't do it > > > either. > > > > > > Have you ever been in a spin, maybe in a C150 during training? > > > I imagine the glider is not approved for intentional spins, but it must > > > spin r-e-a-l-l-y slowly if it happens. Is there enough rudder to stop > > > it? Are you the test pilot? > > > > A tail gust certainly CAN and sometimes DOES stall a glider. Being flown close to stall speed to being with, a tail gust effectively reduces the airspeed to below the stall speed. Really, this involves the critical angle of attack, which is over the head of the readers of this newsgroup, so I won't discuss it. > What's complicated about the critical angle of attack? I learned about it as a kid when I was making and flying model aircraft. > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_of_attack
Answer: there is NOTHING complicated about angle of attack, fool.
> > The bank angle is critical because the inside (down) wing is flying slower than the outside (up) wing, and stalls first. With the outside wing still generating lift that is no longer balanced by the inside wing, the aircraft rotates "over the top" and enters a spin. The rotation rate is relatively slow, but the glider rapidly accelerates being a low drag aircraft to begin with. You only have seconds to recover from the spin before the Vne (never exceed speed) is reached. Beyond this the wings will separate from the aircraft. The ONLY control surface available to you to stop this is the rudder, which must be applied counter to the direction of rotation. Once the spin is arrested you are STILL falling straight down and must CAREFULLY pull out of the dive being careful not to overstress the wings (or they will fold up like a book). Spins have been successfully recovered from in innumerable situations, but not always: > > > https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/aviation-international-news/2008-05-09/final-report-sailplane-wing-failure-killed-engen-and-friend > You've got to stall one of the wings to enter a spin, but if you aren't turning, you can stall without entering a spin.
Non-sensical. I was talking about stall-spin entries in particular.
> > You typically circle a thermal to pick up height, and that does mean banking the glider to some extent, but flying excessively tight circles would mean that you'd pick up less height that you might.
You are not a pilot, definitely not a glider pilot. Thermal strength is the largest at the center, so maintaining the tightest circle, i.e. the slowest speed, results in the highest climb rate. This is limited by the increased sink rate as bank angle increases.
> > https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/glider_handbook/media/gfh_ch09.pdf > > puts the typical diameter of a thermal at about 1000 feet, which doesn't sound all that tight.
As said by a non-glider pilot. To circle with a diameter less than 1000 feet requires a 45 degree bank angle close to stall speed. Try looking up turn radius vs speed.
On Sunday, November 6, 2022 at 4:49:04 PM UTC+11, Flyguy wrote:
> On Friday, November 4, 2022 at 2:58:07 AM UTC-7, bill....@ieee.org wrote: > > On Friday, November 4, 2022 at 4:18:21 PM UTC+11, Flyguy wrote: > > > On Thursday, November 3, 2022 at 12:04:47 PM UTC-7, corvid wrote: > > > > On 11/3/22 08:28, Flyguy wrote: > > > > > On Tuesday, November 1, 2022 at 6:30:52 PM UTC-7, bill....@ieee.org > > > > > wrote: > > > > >> On Wednesday, November 2, 2022 at 12:15:51 PM UTC+11, corvid > > > > >> wrote: > > > > >>> On 11/1/22 15:14, DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote: > > > > >>>> corvid <b...@ckb.ird> wrote in news:tjn2j0$7te$1...@gioia.aioe.org: > > > > >>>>> On 10/30/22 12:11, Flyspeck wrote: > > > > >>>>>> On Sunday, October 30, 2022 at 11:38:36 AM UTC-7, corvid wrote: > > > > >>>>>>> On 10/30/22 09:32, DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote: > > > > >>>>>>>> > > > > >>>>>>>> Just like everything else he spews, this GnatTurd > > > > >>>>>>>> idiot can't get anything right. I sure hope to hell he > > > > >>>>>>>> never pilots an airplane. What an idiot. > > > > >>>>> > > > > >>>>> Yikes. At least he won't be chopping up people with that > > > > >>>>> propeller. > > > > >>>>> > > > > >>>>>>> Has Flyspeck ever said what kind of airplane he owns? > > > > >>>>>> > > > > >>>>>> ASH 31Mi > > > > >>>>> > > > > >>>>> Watching some YouTubes, sometimes they sound a bit creaky > > > > >>>>> after the engine is shut off. Yours do that? > > > > >>>>> > > > > >>>> > > > > >>>> There have only been 100 made. Scrutinous pilots and buyers > > > > >>>> must know something. > > > > >>> I found FOUR accident reports for them. One of them a mere > > > > >>> wheel-up landing, another had the pilot bail out. > > > > >>> > > > > >>> Another was a fatality when the ridge-soaring pilot hit a ridge. > > > > >>> The maggot probably just thermals over flatlands. > > > > >> Even that can kill you. One of my wife's graduate students lost her > > > > >> fiance to a crash in an international soaring competition in Poland > > > > >> (which is pretty flat). > > > > > > > > > > Flying gliders IS a high-risk activity - I will not deny that. You > > > > > spend A LOT of your flight time in a classic stall-spin regime: high > > > > > bank angle at near stall speed. And the air around you can be quite > > > > > turbulent, which can lead to a sudden tail gust that stalls you. At > > > > > altitude, this is a non-event, but close to the terrain, it is > > > > > deadly. A good friend of mine, highly experienced with thousands of > > > > > hours in all types of aircraft, commercial and military, was killed > > > > > in this manner. > > > > > > > > A tail gust doesn't stall the wing. That's like the 'downwind turn' > > > > myth. Nor does the nebulous "near stall speed". Bank angle doesn't do it > > > > either. > > > > > > > > Have you ever been in a spin, maybe in a C150 during training? > > > > I imagine the glider is not approved for intentional spins, but it must > > > > spin r-e-a-l-l-y slowly if it happens. Is there enough rudder to stop > > > > it? Are you the test pilot? > > > > > > A tail gust certainly CAN and sometimes DOES stall a glider. Being flown close to stall speed to being with, a tail gust effectively reduces the airspeed to below the stall speed. Really, this involves the critical angle of attack, which is over the head of the readers of this newsgroup, so I won't discuss it. > > > What's complicated about the critical angle of attack? I learned about it as a kid when I was making and flying model aircraft. > > > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_of_attack > > Answer: there is NOTHING complicated about angle of attack, fool.
But you didn't feel able to talk about it any kind of detail, which makes you the fool here.
> > > The bank angle is critical because the inside (down) wing is flying slower than the outside (up) wing, and stalls first. With the outside wing still generating lift that is no longer balanced by the inside wing, the aircraft rotates "over the top" and enters a spin. The rotation rate is relatively slow, but the glider rapidly accelerates being a low drag aircraft to begin with. You only have seconds to recover from the spin before the Vne (never exceed speed) is reached. Beyond this the wings will separate from the aircraft. The ONLY control surface available to you to stop this is the rudder, which must be applied counter to the direction of rotation. Once the spin is arrested you are STILL falling straight down and must CAREFULLY pull out of the dive being careful not to overstress the wings (or they will fold up like a book). Spins have been successfully recovered from in innumerable situations, but not always: > > > > > https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/aviation-international-news/2008-05-09/final-report-sailplane-wing-failure-killed-engen-and-friend > > > You've got to stall one of the wings to enter a spin, but if you aren't turning, you can stall without entering a spin. > > Non-sensical. I was talking about stall-spin entries in particular.
But corvid wasn't, so as usual you are moving the goal-posts to let yourself rant about stuff you think you understand.
> > You typically circle a thermal to pick up height, and that does mean banking the glider to some extent, but flying excessively tight circles would mean that you'd pick up less height that you might. > > You are not a pilot, definitely not a glider pilot.
Agreed.
> Thermal strength is the largest at the center, so maintaining the tightest circle, i.e. the slowest speed, results in the highest climb rate. This is limited by the increased sink rate as bank angle increases.
A thermal bubble is actually a vortex ring, so you are talking nonsense, as you make clear by admitting that any bank angle makes your sink rate worse.
> > https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/glider_handbook/media/gfh_ch09.pdf > > > > puts the typical diameter of a thermal at about 1000 feet, which doesn't sound all that tight. > As said by a non-glider pilot. To circle with a diameter less than 1000 feet requires a 45 degree bank angle close to stall speed. Try looking up turn radius vs speed.
Why bother. You can't do quantitative argument,and you ignore detailed numbers when they are thrown at you. How much less than my 1000 foot diameter circle requires a 45 degree bank angle? -- Bill Sloman, Sydney
On 11/5/22 22:48, Flypupa wrote:
> On Friday, November 4, 2022 at 2:58:07 AM UTC-7, bill....@ieee.org > wrote:
>> You've got to stall one of the wings to enter a spin, but if you >> aren't turning, you can stall without entering a spin. > > Non-sensical. I was talking about stall-spin entries in particular.
But you should have answered that you can stall without spinning even if you are turning.
On 11/4/22 02:58, Anthony William Sloman wrote:
> You've got to stall one of the wings to enter a spin,
I once heard whooshing sounds and looked up to see a large bird in a spin, descending slowly, many turns, until it hit the ground just a few feet away but out of my sight, behind a mound of dirt. I walked over and saw an owl standing there looking back at me. After a few seconds, it flew off. I've seen a couple ravens roll over and briefly glide inverted. Hummingbirds will hover-climb in steps, then dive at high speed, pull up at the last moment before smashing into rocks, climb, and do it again. Gnatguy is also an idiot who will never fly on the Goodyear Blimp.
corvid <bl@ckb.ird> wrote in news:tk3kpc$dfe$1@gioia.aioe.org:

> On 11/3/22 22:18, Flyguy wrote: >> corvid wrote: >>> Flyguy wrote... >>>> Flying gliders IS a high-risk activity - I will not deny that. >>>> You spend A LOT of your flight time in a classic stall-spin >>>> regime: high bank angle at near stall speed. And the air around >>>> you can be quite turbulent, which can lead to a sudden tail >>>> gust that stalls you. At altitude, this is a non-event, but >>>> close to the terrain, it is deadly. A good friend of mine, >>>> highly experienced with thousands of hours in all types of >>>> aircraft, commercial and military, was killed in this manner. >>> A tail gust doesn't stall the wing. That's like the 'downwind >>> turn' myth. Nor does the nebulous "near stall speed". Bank angle >>> doesn't do it either. >>> >>> Have you ever been in a spin, maybe in a C150 during training? I >>> imagine the glider is not approved for intentional spins, but it >>> must spin r-e-a-l-l-y slowly if it happens. Is there enough >>> rudder to stop it? Are you the test pilot? >> >> A tail gust certainly CAN and sometimes DOES stall a glider. >> Being flown close to stall speed to being with, a tail gust >> effectively reduces the airspeed to below the stall speed. > > That doesn't increase the angle-o'-attack. > Look at the retreating blade of a helicopter. Going toward the > inboard end, closer to the hub, airspeed can reach zero, and then > reverse. > >> Really, this involves >> the critical angle of attack, which is over the head of the >> readers of this newsgroup, so I won't discuss it. > > Right.
The GnatTurd is just so far over the heads of all of the rest of the folks in the group. The guy who wants to go out and kill all democrats (libs) because all of the nation's problems are due to our lack of grasp of the inner workings of government. Yeah, I guess the republicans fooled us with that one. We did lack knowledge of the inner workings of a corrupt, racist party, manipulating the mechanics of our nation's day to day workings for the last 60 years, minimum. And brainwashing their base into thinking that they are the only ones who can do it right. Saying that *we* are the "tax and spend party", when the history and facts state otherwise. MAGA? America already was and has always been great and what makes us that way is ALL OF US. Not some segregated group declaring themselves as the only valid "possessors" of the nation. Vote blue, America. The security of the nation and the retention of our tried and true governmental process are at stake. And for you Trump cult idiots... Trump lied to you. NOTHING was stolen. All of that "ballot box stuffing" claim horseshit is lame because all ballots and voter's choices they respresent are validated before they get entered into the tally computers. All 50 states. And Trump knew about the late tally counts that occur in some states due to they way they hold their elections. Trump and his fellow oath sworn party members propagated this lie to stir up the racist jackasses in the nation into thinking something is being taken from them. How quaint. I'd put every single oath sworn lying bastard in federal prison for spouting Trump's lie and stirring up the unrest they are deliberately sparking with the lie.
This is what Trump made of America. https://www.reuters.com/world/us/kill-them-arizona-election-workers-face-midterm-threats-2022-11-06/
CrashTard <faceplant2morrow@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1127576a-5078-
4e25-9247-7f9d01885249n@googlegroups.com:

> Everything you wrote
Nice try, punk. GnatTurd the FlyTard is the master of the air... NOT!
Flyguy <soar2morrow@yahoo.com> wrote in

> On Friday, November 4, 2022 at 2:58:07 AM UTC-7, bill....@ieee.org > wrote: >> On Friday, November 4, 2022 at 4:18:21 PM UTC+11, Flyguy wrote: >> > On Thursday, November 3, 2022 at 12:04:47 PM UTC-7, corvid >> > wrote: >> > > On 11/3/22 08:28, Flyguy wrote: >> > > > On Tuesday, November 1, 2022 at 6:30:52 PM UTC-7, >> > > > bill....@ieee.org > >> > > > wrote: >> > > >> On Wednesday, November 2, 2022 at 12:15:51 PM UTC+11, >> > > >> corvid wrote: >> > > >>> On 11/1/22 15:14, DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote: >> > > >>>> corvid <b...@ckb.ird> wrote in >> > > >>>> news:tjn2j0$7te$1...@gioia.aioe.o > rg: >> > > >>>>> On 10/30/22 12:11, Flyspeck wrote: >> > > >>>>>> On Sunday, October 30, 2022 at 11:38:36 AM UTC-7, >> > > >>>>>> corvid wrote >: >> > > >>>>>>> On 10/30/22 09:32, DecadentLinux...@decadence.org >> > > >>>>>>> wrote: >> > > >>>>>>>> >> > > >>>>>>>> Just like everything else he spews, this GnatTurd >> > > >>>>>>>> idiot can't get anything right. I sure hope to hell >> > > >>>>>>>> he never pilots an airplane. What an idiot. >> > > >>>>> >> > > >>>>> Yikes. At least he won't be chopping up people with >> > > >>>>> that propeller. >> > > >>>>> >> > > >>>>>>> Has Flyspeck ever said what kind of airplane he owns? >> > > >>>>>> >> > > >>>>>> ASH 31Mi >> > > >>>>> >> > > >>>>> Watching some YouTubes, sometimes they sound a bit >> > > >>>>> creaky after the engine is shut off. Yours do that? >> > > >>>>> >> > > >>>> >> > > >>>> There have only been 100 made. Scrutinous pilots and >> > > >>>> buyers must know something. >> > > >>> I found FOUR accident reports for them. One of them a >> > > >>> mere wheel-up landing, another had the pilot bail out. >> > > >>> >> > > >>> Another was a fatality when the ridge-soaring pilot hit a >> > > >>> ridge. > >> > > >>> The maggot probably just thermals over flatlands. >> > > >> Even that can kill you. One of my wife's graduate students >> > > >> lost he > r >> > > >> fiance to a crash in an international soaring competition >> > > >> in Polan > d >> > > >> (which is pretty flat). >> > > > >> > > > Flying gliders IS a high-risk activity - I will not deny >> > > > that. You > >> > > > spend A LOT of your flight time in a classic stall-spin >> > > > regime: hig > h >> > > > bank angle at near stall speed. And the air around you can >> > > > be quite > >> > > > turbulent, which can lead to a sudden tail gust that stalls >> > > > you. At > >> > > > altitude, this is a non-event, but close to the terrain, it >> > > > is deadly. A good friend of mine, highly experienced with >> > > > thousands of > >> > > > hours in all types of aircraft, commercial and military, >> > > > was killed > >> > > > in this manner. >> > > >> > > A tail gust doesn't stall the wing. That's like the 'downwind >> > > turn' > >> > > myth. Nor does the nebulous "near stall speed". Bank angle >> > > doesn't do > it >> > > either. >> > > >> > > Have you ever been in a spin, maybe in a C150 during >> > > training? I imagine the glider is not approved for >> > > intentional spins, but it mu > st >> > > spin r-e-a-l-l-y slowly if it happens. Is there enough rudder >> > > to stop > >> > > it? Are you the test pilot? >> > >> > A tail gust certainly CAN and sometimes DOES stall a glider. >> > Being flow > n close to stall speed to being with, a tail gust effectively > reduces the airspeed to below the stall speed. Really, this > involves the critical angle of attack, which is over the head of > the readers of this newsgroup, so I won't discuss it. >> What's complicated about the critical angle of attack? I learned >> about it > as a kid when I was making and flying model aircraft. >> >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_of_attack > > Answer: there is NOTHING complicated about angle of attack, fool. > >> > The bank angle is critical because the inside (down) wing is >> > flying slo > wer than the outside (up) wing, and stalls first. With the outside > wing still generating lift that is no longer balanced by the > inside wing, the aircraft rotates "over the top" and enters a > spin. The rotation rate is relatively slow, but the glider rapidly > accelerates being a low drag aircraft to begin with. You only have > seconds to recover from the spin before the Vne (never exceed > speed) is reached. Beyond this the wings will separate from the > aircraft. The ONLY control surface available to you to stop this > is the rudder, which must be applied counter to the direction of > rotation. Once the spin is arrested you are STILL falling straight > down and must CAREFULLY pull out of the dive being careful not to > overstress the wings (or they will fold up like a book). Spins > have been successfully recovered from in innumerable situations, > but not always: >> >> > https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/aviation-international-n >> > ews/200 > 8-05-09/final-report-sailplane-wing-failure-killed-engen-and-friend >> You've got to stall one of the wings to enter a spin, but if you >> aren't t > urning, you can stall without entering a spin. > > Non-sensical. I was talking about stall-spin entries in > particular. > >> >> You typically circle a thermal to pick up height, and that does >> mean bank > ing the glider to some extent, but flying excessively tight > circles would mean that you'd pick up less height that you might. > > You are not a pilot, definitely not a glider pilot. Thermal > strength is the largest at the center, so maintaining the tightest > circle, i.e. the slowest speed, results in the highest climb rate. > This is limited by the increased sink rate as bank angle > increases. > >> >> https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviatio >> n/glide > r_handbook/media/gfh_ch09.pdf >> >> puts the typical diameter of a thermal at about 1000 feet, which >> doesn't > sound all that tight. > > As said by a non-glider pilot. To circle with a diameter less than > 1000 feet requires a 45 degree bank angle close to stall speed. > Try looking up turn radius vs speed.
Crab much? Bwuahahahahahaahah...