Any Tesla driver here?

Started by Jeroen Belleman May 19, 2022
On Saturday, May 21, 2022 at 10:17:50 AM UTC-4, bitrex wrote:
> On 5/19/2022 1:59 PM, Jeroen Belleman wrote: > > Any Tesla drivers here? I heard of this silly incident where > > someone forced the hatch shut by hand rather than pushing the > > button, and by doing so immobilized the car. Apparently, when > > you do that, it believes the hatch is still open and refuses > > to move. Don't you love modern cars? > > > > Comments? > > > > Jeroen --the driver should always have the final word-- Belleman > Cool feature: > > <https://twitter.com/mjarchie1/status/1527708021903609857>
I like this reply, "Pictures like this wouldn&rsquo;t be available if elon owned @Twitter" LOL -- Rick C. -+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging -+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Related (without starting a new thread, to save trees)...

Elon Musk's tweet on Friday...

"Bet most people still don&#4294967295;t know that a Clinton campaign lawyer, using
campaign funds, created an elaborate hoax about Trump and Russia. Makes you
wonder what else is fake."

That hasn't been flagged by Twitter?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

On Thu, 19 May 2022 12:59:28 -0700 (PDT), Ricky
<gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:

>Cars are becoming far too complex
There's your problem right there.
TurdSipper Dumb <cd@notformail.com> wrote in

> On Thu, 19 May 2022 12:59:28 -0700 (PDT), Ricky > <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote: > >>Cars are becoming far too complex > > There's your problem right there. >
TurdSipper Dumb is becoming far too stupid. Not that he wasn't dirt dumb his entire, pathetic life. Must have been all those fake princely encounters he spent his life bragging about as if it provided some further up notch in existence.
On Thu, 19 May 2022 22:04:24 +0100, Martin Brown
<'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:

>On 19/05/2022 18:59, Jeroen Belleman wrote: >> Any Tesla drivers here? I heard of this silly incident where >> someone forced the hatch shut by hand rather than pushing the >> button, and by doing so immobilized the car. Apparently, when >> you do that, it believes the hatch is still open and refuses >> to move. Don't you love modern cars? >> >> Comments? >> >> Jeroen --the driver should always have the final word-- Belleman > >Even in the pre smartphone with everything era I have had a fairly high >end car decide to freeze on me because it suddenly thought it had been >stolen and on a roundabout at rush hour. The only thing that could be >done was push it to the side of the road and await rescue. Immobilisers >were quite new and little understood back then. I expect the thieves >understood them batter than anyone else! > >Roadside assistance couldn't do anything with it beyond dragging it onto >a tow away truck. It came back with the immobiliser reset and "no fault >found" from the dealer. It didn't ever do it again which was a bonus.
I had a V70 Volvo that kept locking me out of it for no apparent reason. Computer scan by the main dealer showed no fault present or logged. I could see it would one day let me down late at night in a thunderstorm so got rid of it. Best decision I ever made was to never have another modern car ever again. I only drive vintage stuff now.
On Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 6:37:38 PM UTC-4, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2022 22:04:24 +0100, Martin Brown > <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote: > >On 19/05/2022 18:59, Jeroen Belleman wrote: > >> Any Tesla drivers here? I heard of this silly incident where > >> someone forced the hatch shut by hand rather than pushing the > >> button, and by doing so immobilized the car. Apparently, when > >> you do that, it believes the hatch is still open and refuses > >> to move. Don't you love modern cars? > >> > >> Comments? > >> > >> Jeroen --the driver should always have the final word-- Belleman > > > >Even in the pre smartphone with everything era I have had a fairly high > >end car decide to freeze on me because it suddenly thought it had been > >stolen and on a roundabout at rush hour. The only thing that could be > >done was push it to the side of the road and await rescue. Immobilisers > >were quite new and little understood back then. I expect the thieves > >understood them batter than anyone else! > > > >Roadside assistance couldn't do anything with it beyond dragging it onto > >a tow away truck. It came back with the immobiliser reset and "no fault > >found" from the dealer. It didn't ever do it again which was a bonus. > > I had a V70 Volvo that kept locking me out of it for no apparent > reason. Computer scan by the main dealer showed no fault present or > logged. I could see it would one day let me down late at night in a > thunderstorm so got rid of it. Best decision I ever made was to never > have another modern car ever again. I only drive vintage stuff now.
What will you do when there's only 1 of 10 gas stations left because nearly everyone is driving BEVs? Well, that's not until 2040, so maybe none of us will be around and s.e.d. is long gone too. -- Rick C. -++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging -++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
On Fri, 20 May 2022 08:27:12 -0700, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com
wrote:

>On Fri, 20 May 2022 11:17:39 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote: > >>On 5/19/2022 1:59 PM, Jeroen Belleman wrote: >>> Any Tesla drivers here? I heard of this silly incident where >>> someone forced the hatch shut by hand rather than pushing the >>> button, and by doing so immobilized the car. Apparently, when >>> you do that, it believes the hatch is still open and refuses >>> to move. Don't you love modern cars? >>> >>> Comments? >> >> >>Yeah, in other news Elon Musk has been a Republican for less than 48 >>hours and he already has a hush-money sexual harassment case against >>him. Ancient story of Cinderella, if shoe fits... >> >>> Jeroen --the driver should always have the final word-- Belleman > >New movie: > >https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/may/17/elon-musk-crash-course-documentary-tesla
Yeah. I may have saved the life of a co-worker who wanted a Tesla for the self-driving bit, and was totally overestimating the capability of Teslas to handle unexpected situations, ones for which it was never programmed or trained, when I provided a few accident reports plus my analysis of what had fooled the Tesla, destroying his trust in the autopilot. The basic problem is that the current technology of understanding a visual scene is quite immature, being far less capable that of almost any vertebrate animal. The Neuroscience folk have figured out a good bit of it, but their algorithms require implementation of hyperdimensional associative memory of specific kinds, which we can only simulate clumsily on modern computers (no matter how many cores et al), and cannot implement in any form suitable for following a scene fast enough to guide an automobile at 190 mph (regularly achieved on the German autobahn). Joe Gwinn
On Monday, May 30, 2022 at 11:33:06 AM UTC-4, Joe Gwinn wrote:
> On Fri, 20 May 2022 08:27:12 -0700, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com > wrote: > >On Fri, 20 May 2022 11:17:39 -0400, bitrex <us...@example.net> wrote: > > > >>On 5/19/2022 1:59 PM, Jeroen Belleman wrote: > >>> Any Tesla drivers here? I heard of this silly incident where > >>> someone forced the hatch shut by hand rather than pushing the > >>> button, and by doing so immobilized the car. Apparently, when > >>> you do that, it believes the hatch is still open and refuses > >>> to move. Don't you love modern cars? > >>> > >>> Comments? > >> > >> > >>Yeah, in other news Elon Musk has been a Republican for less than 48 > >>hours and he already has a hush-money sexual harassment case against > >>him. Ancient story of Cinderella, if shoe fits... > >> > >>> Jeroen --the driver should always have the final word-- Belleman > > > >New movie: > > > >https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/may/17/elon-musk-crash-course-documentary-tesla > Yeah. I may have saved the life of a co-worker who wanted a Tesla for > the self-driving bit, and was totally overestimating the capability of > Teslas to handle unexpected situations, ones for which it was never > programmed or trained, when I provided a few accident reports plus my > analysis of what had fooled the Tesla, destroying his trust in the > autopilot. > > The basic problem is that the current technology of understanding a > visual scene is quite immature, being far less capable that of almost > any vertebrate animal. > > The Neuroscience folk have figured out a good bit of it, but their > algorithms require implementation of hyperdimensional associative > memory of specific kinds, which we can only simulate clumsily on > modern computers (no matter how many cores et al), and cannot > implement in any form suitable for following a scene fast enough to > guide an automobile at 190 mph (regularly achieved on the German > autobahn).
It would seem that your friend, like yourself seems to think the autopilot is autonomous, it's not. It's not intended to be autonomous. Tesla warns you in every way possible to pay attention as if you were driving while using the autopilot. I don't think they could do much more to alert people to the fact that autopilot is simply a driving aid, not a substitute for a mentally capable driver. The autopilot is very nice. I often find myself trying to double tap the cruise control which my Kia doesn't have. :( -- Rick C. +-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging +-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> Yeah, in other news Elon Musk has been a Republican for less than 48 >>> hours and he already has a hush-money sexual harassment case against >>> him. Ancient story of Cinderella, if shoe fits... >>> >>>> Jeroen --the driver should always have the final word-- Belleman >> >> New movie: >> >> https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/may/17/elon-musk-crash-course-documentary-tesla > > Yeah. I may have saved the life of a co-worker who wanted a Tesla for > the self-driving bit, and was totally overestimating the capability of > Teslas to handle unexpected situations, ones for which it was never > programmed or trained, when I provided a few accident reports plus my > analysis of what had fooled the Tesla, destroying his trust in the > autopilot. > > The basic problem is that the current technology of understanding a > visual scene is quite immature, being far less capable that of almost > any vertebrate animal. > > The Neuroscience folk have figured out a good bit of it, but their > algorithms require implementation of hyperdimensional associative memory > of specific kinds, which we can only simulate clumsily on modern > computers (no matter how many cores et al), and cannot implement in any > form suitable for following a scene fast enough to guide an automobile > at 190 mph (regularly achieved on the German autobahn).
Yep. Simply put... Interpreting graphics, especially in motion, is not a computer's strong suit.
mandag den 30. maj 2022 kl. 17.49.28 UTC+2 skrev Ricky:
> On Monday, May 30, 2022 at 11:33:06 AM UTC-4, Joe Gwinn wrote: > > On Fri, 20 May 2022 08:27:12 -0700, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com > > wrote: > > >On Fri, 20 May 2022 11:17:39 -0400, bitrex <us...@example.net> wrote: > > > > > >>On 5/19/2022 1:59 PM, Jeroen Belleman wrote: > > >>> Any Tesla drivers here? I heard of this silly incident where > > >>> someone forced the hatch shut by hand rather than pushing the > > >>> button, and by doing so immobilized the car. Apparently, when > > >>> you do that, it believes the hatch is still open and refuses > > >>> to move. Don't you love modern cars? > > >>> > > >>> Comments? > > >> > > >> > > >>Yeah, in other news Elon Musk has been a Republican for less than 48 > > >>hours and he already has a hush-money sexual harassment case against > > >>him. Ancient story of Cinderella, if shoe fits... > > >> > > >>> Jeroen --the driver should always have the final word-- Belleman > > > > > >New movie: > > > > > >https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/may/17/elon-musk-crash-course-documentary-tesla > > Yeah. I may have saved the life of a co-worker who wanted a Tesla for > > the self-driving bit, and was totally overestimating the capability of > > Teslas to handle unexpected situations, ones for which it was never > > programmed or trained, when I provided a few accident reports plus my > > analysis of what had fooled the Tesla, destroying his trust in the > > autopilot. > > > > The basic problem is that the current technology of understanding a > > visual scene is quite immature, being far less capable that of almost > > any vertebrate animal. > > > > The Neuroscience folk have figured out a good bit of it, but their > > algorithms require implementation of hyperdimensional associative > > memory of specific kinds, which we can only simulate clumsily on > > modern computers (no matter how many cores et al), and cannot > > implement in any form suitable for following a scene fast enough to > > guide an automobile at 190 mph (regularly achieved on the German > > autobahn). > It would seem that your friend, like yourself seems to think the autopilot is autonomous, it's not. It's not intended to be autonomous. Tesla warns you in every way possible to pay attention as if you were driving while using the autopilot. I don't think they could do much more to alert people to the fact that autopilot is simply a driving aid, not a substitute for a mentally capable driver. >
probably a mistake to call it autopilot..