Laser marking/directing system

Started by Klaus Kragelund December 18, 2021
On Saturday, 18 December 2021 at 21:58:49 UTC+1, Don Y wrote:
> On 12/18/2021 9:53 AM, Klaus Kragelund wrote: > > I am working on a project, just for my own business > > > > I need a laser marking system, that can show a cross hair or other visible > > marking on a cardboard box up to 4 meters away > To be clear, you are not intending on actually *marking* the target > but, rather, *indicating* a position on it (?) > > Initial thought would be class 1 laser (no approvals?) and then 2 steppers in a > > mechanical arrangement to provide x and y functions > Slow. > > Is the target in motion? How "static" must the indication be?
The target is fixed, so static indication. However, the marking/indication is for people to find the box, so it can have wobble to make easier recognition
> > I can add a USB camera to home in the laser, so the mechanism does not need to > > be precise > I don't think I understand what this adds. Or, are you claiming there > are other reference data on the target that could be visually > identified (with the camera) and used to adjust the position of > your laser indication?
I could close the loop. I use the camera to find the box, and then the laser to point to it, so the user can pick it
> > Any hints for the cheapest system? > If you have a general idea where the target will reside ("constrained > location"), a vibrating mirror with a (physical) gating aperture > (to ensure the laser never is active in directions that could > cause injury/damage). Gate the beam on/off based on where the > mirror happens to be, presently. (let it remain off when the > reflection wouldn't be where you wanted it to be)
That could work, but the intensity would be quite low
Klaus Kragelund wrote:
===================
> > I can get cheap servos: > > https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4000903254039.html
** RC servos cannot reverse direction near fast enough for your idea. Small mirrors mounted on a speaker cone are far better. The speakers could be driven with low voltage 60Hz. ..... Phil
https://arduinotech.dk/shop/pan-og-tilt-mount/ https://arduinotech.dk/shop/laser-red-line-cross-650nm-5mw-5v/
I actually found a video of exactly what I want. With 2 servos, and quite fast He cleverly attaches the two bodies of the servo: https://youtu.be/Ie09TwoI2J0
Another one here, with 2 small mirrors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUpBPKh6kR8
 klaus.k...@gmail.com wrote:
==================
> [...]
** Really ? Why the fuck did you FAIL to mention the laser generated pattern could be NON VISIBLE visible to the eye ?? ..... Phil
On Sunday, 19 December 2021 at 01:46:58 UTC+1, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
> klaus.k...@gmail.com wrote: > ================== > > > > > > > > > I can get cheap servos: > > > > > > > > https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4000903254039.html > > > ** RC servos cannot reverse direction near fast enough for your idea. > > > Small mirrors mounted on a speaker cone are far better. > > > The speakers could be driven with low voltage 60Hz. > > > > > I actually found a video of exactly what I want. With 2 servos, and quite fast > > > ** Really ? > > Why the fuck did you FAIL to mention the laser generated pattern could be NON VISIBLE visible to the eye ?? >
I don't get what you mean about non visible. It's visible in the video?
klaus.k...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
** It's a fucking, slow moving dot - imbecile ! " a laser marking system, that can show a cross hair or other visible marking " Does not compute, captain. ..... Phil
Martin Brown wrote:
> On 18/12/2021 17:53, Klaus Kragelund wrote: >> On Saturday, 18 December 2021 at 18:22:41 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote: >>> On 18/12/2021 16:53, Klaus Kragelund wrote: >>>> Hi >>>> >>>> I am working on a project, just for my own business >>>> >>>> I need a laser marking system, that can show a cross hair or other >>>> visible marking on a cardboard box up to 4 meters away >>> >>> My money would be to project the cross pattern with Fourier optics so >>> there are no moving parts and it is very cheap to make. > >> I have not heard about Fourier optics before. I need a max deflection >> of maybe 45 degrees. So I am guessing it would not be usable > > My next suggestion then would be two laser light sources projecting a > point of light and a cylinder lens to spread it out along a line. > > To try it out crudely just find some clear Perspex or glass rod. >
You can buy holographic reticles that do that. A laser sight for an airsoft gun gives you the laser pointer as well. (Disclaimer--I've used reticles like that, but have never used a laser sight, so I don't know how suitable it is for the purpose.) Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 http://electrooptical.net http://hobbs-eo.com
Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote in

> Klaus Kragelund wrote: > =================== >> >> I can get cheap servos: >> >> https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4000903254039.html > > > ** RC servos cannot reverse direction near fast enough for your > idea. > Small mirrors mounted on a speaker cone are far better. > The speakers could be driven with low voltage 60Hz. > > > ..... Phil > > >
There are swivel mounted mirrors out there with a coil already on them which can be modulated to hard point or oscillate the mirror angle. I used to put 'music' up on the ceiling with my HeNe laser tube, and two such mirrors.