RGB to XYZ

Started by bitrex September 2, 2021
On 9/3/2021 1:52 PM, bitrex wrote:
> On 9/3/2021 2:58 PM, Don Y wrote: >> On 9/3/2021 8:47 AM, bitrex wrote: >>> On 9/3/2021 11:24 AM, Don Y wrote: >>>> On 9/3/2021 7:50 AM, bitrex wrote: >>>>>> So, other than as an intellectual exercise, what is your motivation for >>>>>> exploring such a "converter"? I.e., what got you thinking along those >>>>>> lines in the first place? >>>>> >>>>> <https://youtu.be/PBtETkJeqmY> >>>>> >>>>> Love to have one, but guaranteed I'd never find one. >>>> >>>> You are interested in the novelty? Or the functionality? >>>> >>>> This is similar to the MAME mindset -- do you want to *play* >>>> the game? Or, *own* the game? >>>> >>>> Do you want to own an IMSAI? Or, would a replica be acceptable? >>> >>> Frankly (as often happens) pondering about how to do SVGA to XYZ conversion >>> properly has become the more interesting problem to think about, lol >> >> Than *what*? >> >>>> E.g., I've been machining a HAL9000 (I/O port) replica for use at >>>> my front door. While I'd love to have the genuine article, I >>>> realize that to be a silly goal (how many mockups were made?). >>> >>> Yikes, I try not to scare people away (yea it's revealed Hal's intentions >>> were decent all along but he had some bugs, IIRC.) Maybe I'd do SAL9000: >>> >>> <https://youtu.be/PBtETkJeqmY> >> >> I doubt anyone would be scared away if they encountered a glowing red eye >> adjacent to the front door! Rather, those old enough to recognize it >> would likely chuckle. >> >> Plus, it gives me a place to mount a camera, in lieu of a doorbell button! >> >> (And, if it scares away the LDSers and JW's, well... call that a bonus!) > > Their religions are half science-fiction anyway, how's it going to scare them > away.
I'm not sure how much "science" is involved -- at least not "science" as WE know it. But, save Confucianism, aren't they all fictions?
On 03/09/2021 16:24, Don Y wrote:
> On 9/3/2021 7:50 AM, bitrex wrote: >>> So, other than as an intellectual exercise, what is your motivation for >>> exploring such a "converter"?&nbsp; I.e., what got you thinking along those >>> lines in the first place? >> >> <https://youtu.be/PBtETkJeqmY> >> >> Love to have one, but guaranteed I'd never find one. > > You are interested in the novelty?&nbsp; Or the functionality?
We used to have a 5" monitor on a slightly dodgy stand with a numeric keypad underneath on one of our early ICP mass spectrometers. The MD was a fan of Star Trek and it was meant to look a bit like the thing that Spock used to stare into in the original series. It showed the mass spectrum building up in real time as the machine scanned. Graphics were handled by a TMS9929 video controller which had hardware sprites. It didn't last long like that as people often knocked it over and spilled chemicals into the keyboard. It soon ended up in the 19" racking with just arrow keys and behind a waterproof membrane.
> This is similar to the MAME mindset -- do you want to *play* > the game?&nbsp; Or, *own* the game? > > Do you want to own an IMSAI?&nbsp; Or, would a replica be acceptable?
Flat screen LCD monitors are just so much nicer. First imitations of them appear in the movie 2001 when they are eating at the table. He called it astonishingly close to what we have now (or rather our designers implemented what Clarke and Kubrick had imagined back then). The one I always admired was Clive Sinclair's miniature portable TV with a very weird internal geometry. A friend won one on the very first edition of the Krypton Factor. Casio LCD displays won that battle! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV80 The first indications of LCD displays future supremacy for flat screen displays wasn't long after that launch. It never really sold though.
> E.g., I've been machining a HAL9000 (I/O port) replica for use at > my front door.&nbsp; While I'd love to have the genuine article, I > realize that to be a silly goal (how many mockups were made?).
I have seen an original at the Stanley Kubrick exhibition in London a couple of years back and the space station Hilton mock up. All the scale models used in filming were there too as were several of his incredibly exotic available light lenses and for his other movies.
> And, even a "faithful replica" is silly -- the lens used is > wicked expensive!&nbsp; And, the image processing would be unnecessarily > complex.
> As folks coming to the door wouldn't be aware -- nor care! -- of what's > behind the outer facade, what value is there for the genuine article?
One of my friends (an avid Dr Who fan) has a full scale Dalek in his living room - though now radio controlled since otherwise you need a tame midget inside if you want to operate it in the original fashion.
>> I expect the CRT in the commercial device uses magnetic deflection, >> and looks like they shield the crap out of it. >> >> A round CRT would give an even better Cold War bunker-aesthetic > > You could repurpose the display out of an old 'scope and drive it with > a raster.
Some old scopes could do that as a side show. ie. Accept a luminance input and X, Y scan ramps. Phosphor persistence made anything that moved have ghosts trailing behind so it was really only any good for a quick look see at a video signal. -- Regards, Martin Brown
On 9/5/2021 1:32 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
>> This is similar to the MAME mindset -- do you want to *play* >> the game? Or, *own* the game? >> >> Do you want to own an IMSAI? Or, would a replica be acceptable? > > Flat screen LCD monitors are just so much nicer. First imitations of them > appear in the movie 2001 when they are eating at the table. He called it > astonishingly close to what we have now (or rather our designers implemented > what Clarke and Kubrick had imagined back then).
Now we just need a better ebook implementation to more closely mimic Adams' "Guide"!
> The one I always admired was Clive Sinclair's miniature portable TV with a very > weird internal geometry. A friend won one on the very first edition of the > Krypton Factor. Casio LCD displays won that battle! > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV80 > > The first indications of LCD displays future supremacy for flat screen displays > wasn't long after that launch. It never really sold though. > >> E.g., I've been machining a HAL9000 (I/O port) replica for use at >> my front door. While I'd love to have the genuine article, I >> realize that to be a silly goal (how many mockups were made?). > > I have seen an original at the Stanley Kubrick exhibition in London a couple of > years back and the space station Hilton mock up. All the scale models used in > filming were there too as were several of his incredibly exotic available light > lenses and for his other movies.
I came up with gross measurements for mine using imagery from the movie. It's one of those things where "exact" doesn't matter; folks either recognize the reference, or not. But, I'm having problems getting the same red "glow" (of course, the prop didn't have to actually function as a camera so higher hurdle, in my case)
Too big! And, wouldn't be as relevant, here. I have several of these scattered around the house: <https://www.ebay.com/itm/133822490002> <https://www.ebay.com/itm/143882047344> <https://www.ebay.com/itm/313626040533> <https://www.ebay.com/itm/185032320926> Their mouths and eyes are animated. Originally, I used them as speaker phones (animating their movements based on the speech from the called party). I changed that to just be "user I/O devices" (like Alexa) in my current project. Now trying to put cameras in them so they can assist with tracking occupants. I also have several of these: <https://www.ebay.com/itm/403118134325> (representative sample as they are all different) that I would like to similarly deploy. Smaller so less space wasted. But, less interesting. (and, harder to cram the electronics into!) I'd also like to have one of these (coffee table piece). But would have to make it, myself. The appeal being its more obscure reference. <http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/7148/4067/1600/808171/mouse12.jpg>
>>> I expect the CRT in the commercial device uses magnetic deflection, and >>> looks like they shield the crap out of it. >>> >>> A round CRT would give an even better Cold War bunker-aesthetic >> >> You could repurpose the display out of an old 'scope and drive it with >> a raster. > > Some old scopes could do that as a side show. > ie. Accept a luminance input and X, Y scan ramps. Phosphor persistence made > anything that moved have ghosts trailing behind so it was really only any good > for a quick look see at a video signal.
Yes. As a preteen, I recall viewing SSTV on a 'scope in a family friend's ham shack. It took a bit of imagination to appreciate the technology!