Does a wide bandgap JFET glow under forward bias?

Started by Tim Williams September 15, 2020
On Saturday, September 19, 2020 at 8:30:09 AM UTC-4, Arie de Muynck wrote:
> On 2020-09-18 21:03, Dmitriy Pshonkin wrote: > > https://www.researchgate.net/publication/327860836_Investigating_SiC_MOSFET_body_diode's_light_emission_as_Temperature-Sensitive_Electrical_Parameter > > Measuring the photo current, and then displaying the value in mV? > > The forward voltage of the photo diode will be very depending on > temperature (threshold, leakage will vary). The diode is placed on top > of the FET gel, so it's temperature will also have varied. > > Apart from the fun fact that light has been observed, this research is > practically useless. > > It should be mandatory to add a well-qualified electronics engineer to > scientific teams dabbling with electronics. And to review teams. > > Arie
Sure, everything is a function of temperature. I didn't know SiC forward biased was an led... but indirect, so not so good efficiency. George H.
On Sunday, September 20, 2020 at 1:02:56 AM UTC+10, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Sep 2020 14:19:17 +0200, Arie de Muynck > <no....@no.spam.org> wrote: > > >On 2020-09-18 21:03, Dmitriy Pshonkin wrote: > >> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/327860836_Investigating_SiC_MOSFET_body_diode's_light_emission_as_Temperature-Sensitive_Electrical_Parameter > > > >Measuring the photo current, and then displaying the value in mV? > > > >The forward voltage of the photo diode will be very depending on > >temperature (threshold, leakage will vary). The diode is placed on top > >of the FET gel, so it's temperature will also have varied. > > > >Apart from the fun fact that light has been observed, this research is > >practically useless. > > > >It should be mandatory to add a well-qualified electronics engineer to > >scientific teams dabbling with electronics. And to review teams. > > > No, that would remove the substantial amusement available from many > scientific papers.
Worse, it would stop the graduate students from using quick and dirty solutions that only work because you've got a graduate student to use as part of the control loop. The net result would be that rather less scientific research would get done - what was done would be a bit more reliable, but there's no strong correlation between the quality of the electronics and the significance of the results obtained, so you end up with a net loss. -- Bill Sloman, Sydney
"John S" <Sophi.2@invalid.org> wrote in message
>> Nuts do it as well, so why shouldn't a JFET? >> >> https://i.imgur.com/WxqQIEB.jpg > > > Ohhhh, you didn't mean peanuts or gonads, it seems.
Well, those too. True fact: the human body glows, imperceptibly but only just barely so, in deep red. As I understand it, you can't see it with dark adapted eyes, but it doesn't take much better of a camera to see it. Cause is singlet oxygen species -- in short, metabolism. The same emission when 30% hydrogen peroxide and high strength bleach are mixed (at which concentration it is visible). Tim -- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Design Website: https://www.seventransistorlabs.com/
Yellow.  This guy's photographing dies (mostly old and metal can parts) and
avalanching many of them:
https://www.richis-lab.de/Bipolar07.htm

Tim

--