Favourite parts with off-label uses?

Started by Unknown April 4, 2020
On 2020-04-09 17:21, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote:
> torsdag den 9. april 2020 kl. 21.40.30 UTC+2 skrev pcdh...@gmail.com: >>> like to use 2-56 hardware as places to alligator-clip to, power and >>> grounds. The holes for them work best with the drill press. >> >> Me too. >> >> A pity that nobody seems to sell #2-56 angle brackets or standoffs. >> > > https://www.pololu.com/product/2083 > > https://www.pemnet.com/fastening_products/pdf/radata.pdf > >
Thanks, that's useful. Angle brackets are still AWOL as far as I can tell. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 http://electrooptical.net http://hobbs-eo.com
On Thu, 9 Apr 2020 21:21:19 +1000, Chris Jones
<lugnut808@spam.yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 09/04/2020 14:56, Jeff Liebermann wrote: >> The P2055DN is not what I would consider a good printer.
>What is the best old HP printer?
Sigh. Whenever I get into a printer discussion, someone always ask that question.
>Prerequisite : Must be old enough to >have no DRM in the cartridges, and accept straight postscript, i.e. >before the era where the printer itself became loss-making bait purely >designed to force users to install gigabytes of "printer driver" mostly >composed of spyware, malware, bitcoin miners and advertising platforms?
Most of the early HP printers had easily bypassed or ignored cartridge "chips". HP wasn't sure if they could get away with preventing refilling of toner cartridges and made the chip somewhat optional, easy to ignore, or just clone. However, when HP realized that nobody was actually doing anything against the practice, circumventing the refill "protection" was no longer as easy or possible. I don't do much with Postscript and have no idea what you mean by "straight postscript". I would suggest the HP Laserjet 2300DN. <https://www.google.com/search?q=hp+2300dn&tbm=isch> <https://www.laserpros.com/img/TechTips/hp-2300-printer-specs.pdf> It says supports "Postscript Level 3". I've owned and services a few of these, but don't recall if I ever tried Postscript. The 2003 vintage HP2300DN is not the best printer available, but does seem to meet your requirements. It does have one irritating problem. The foam rubber pads on the solenoids that actuate the mechanicals tend to melt into a sticky goo causing misfeeds. Here's the fix: <http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/hp2200/hp2200.html> The web pages are for the HP2200. The mechanical parts are the same. For instructions on how to remove the plastic case covers, see the HP LaserJet 2300 service manual. Start on Pg 109: <https://www.printerparts-exchange.com/media/custom/upload/lj2300.pdf> Hmmm... looks like someone finally made some YouTube videos on the paper jam problem: <https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hp+laserjet+2300+paper+jam+fix>
>My LJ4 from 1992 is working fine except that I am really struggling to >find replacement cartridges that have not decayed from old age, and I >have not yet got around to figuring out how to fix the wiper blades in >them. I'll probably eventually get around to learning to do that, but it >would be nice to have a backup printer.
I might have a PDF on how to rebuild a cartridge from that era. However, my office is trashed and closed, probably for most of the pandemic. I'll try to let you know if I find anything among my various computers at home.
>Also, I'd quite like a printer >that can do double sided.
The "D" in the model number indicates duplex print. The HP2300DN does duplex printing. The "N" means it has an ethernet card. If you want a 2nd paper tray, look for HP2300DTN. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
On 9/4/20 3:30 pm, Clifford Heath wrote:
> On 9/4/20 2:56 pm, Jeff Liebermann wrote: >> On Thu, 9 Apr 2020 12:49:31 +1000, Clifford Heath <no.spam@please.net> >> wrote: >>> ... a disappointing result. >> I'm curious.&nbsp; What part of the resulting prints were disappointing? > > See <https://www.dropbox.com/s/wm87qcu2imydbja/HpPrint.png?dl=0> > Scanned at 1200DPI on a good Epson scanner, the upper band is part of > the solid black banner on a test page, the lower section is from part of > a PCB. > > I can't see the checker-plate pattern in these ones (that might be the > 1200dpi setting), just the blotchiness. > > Can't etch from it anyhow.
Jeff, I was hoping you'd prognosticate further about the reason for this effect? CH
On 9/4/20 9:39 am, dagmargoodboat@yahoo.com wrote:
> I haven't been able to get toner transfer working since I changed > toner carts. But I've dabbled with two promising variations. > > 1) If you lacquer-coat the PCB *then* transfer the toner, the > lacquer fills in the toner's pores.
James, What exactly is the stuff that Americans call lacquer? That's not a term that has a single meaning here.
> The toner image is printed on the paper you peel off the back of > adhesive labels, or in my case, backing peeled off adhesive > shelf-liner paper from the one-dollar store.
I tried things like that but they were too slippery - bits of toner just fell off before getting transferred. I'm using toner transfer paper bought for the purpose.
> 3) A third method is to zap the toner with acetone/alcohol mix to > make the toner tacky, then stick it to the board. That always > smears the traces when I try it. "Cold Toner Transfer" > e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVhSCEPINpM
That could be messy. CH
On 2020-04-10 18:41, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Apr 2020 21:21:19 +1000, Chris Jones > <lugnut808@spam.yahoo.com> wrote: > >> On 09/04/2020 14:56, Jeff Liebermann wrote: >>> The P2055DN is not what I would consider a good printer. > >> What is the best old HP printer? > > Sigh. Whenever I get into a printer discussion, someone always ask > that question.
A nice refurb 2300DTN is the ticket. Cheers Phil Hobbs
On Friday, April 10, 2020 at 8:19:13 PM UTC-4, Clifford Heath wrote:
> On 9/4/20 9:39 am, dagmargoodboat@yahoo.com wrote: > > I haven't been able to get toner transfer working since I changed > > toner carts. But I've dabbled with two promising variations. > > > > 1) If you lacquer-coat the PCB *then* transfer the toner, the > > lacquer fills in the toner's pores. > > James, > > What exactly is the stuff that Americans call lacquer? That's not a term > that has a single meaning here.
I'm pretty sure you could look it up easily, but it's a sealant made from secretions of insects "lac". Think of it as varnish. I'm surprised you haven't heard of it. It's very old and not at all a local term. I believe these days it is more a class of sealants than specifically the original one made from insects. -- Rick C. + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging + Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Clifford Heath <no.spam@please.net> wrote in

> What exactly is the stuff that Americans call lacquer? That's not > a term that has a single meaning here. >
Lacquer *was* the base vehicle for automotive paints and many things here in the coatings industry. Automotives switched to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Hard to buy lacquer based paints at the auto parts store. Same as with Freon, or chlorofluorocarbon based coolants. But PCB conformal coatings are likely also no longer lacquer based if they ever were. (probably some worse compounds) I think he must be using the term colloquially. I mean he does refer to a coating but is using the term lacquer as a generic term related to coatings. Same as with "varnish". There are other than the coatings based definitions with that one too. But real varnish is still used in transformer vacuum encapsulation/moisture barrier/seal.
l&oslash;rdag den 11. april 2020 kl. 03.49.28 UTC+2 skrev Ricky C:
> On Friday, April 10, 2020 at 8:19:13 PM UTC-4, Clifford Heath wrote: > > On 9/4/20 9:39 am, dagmargoodboat@yahoo.com wrote: > > > I haven't been able to get toner transfer working since I changed > > > toner carts. But I've dabbled with two promising variations. > > > > > > 1) If you lacquer-coat the PCB *then* transfer the toner, the > > > lacquer fills in the toner's pores. > > > > James, > > > > What exactly is the stuff that Americans call lacquer? That's not a term > > that has a single meaning here. > > I'm pretty sure you could look it up easily, but it's a sealant made from secretions of insects "lac". Think of it as varnish. > > I'm surprised you haven't heard of it. It's very old and not at all a local term. I believe these days it is more a class of sealants than specifically the original one made from insects. >
lacquer can be all kinds of things, the stuff make from insects is shellac
On 11/4/20 1:12 pm, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote:
> l&oslash;rdag den 11. april 2020 kl. 03.49.28 UTC+2 skrev Ricky C: >> On Friday, April 10, 2020 at 8:19:13 PM UTC-4, Clifford Heath wrote: >>> On 9/4/20 9:39 am, dagmargoodboat@yahoo.com wrote: >>>> I haven't been able to get toner transfer working since I changed >>>> toner carts. But I've dabbled with two promising variations. >>>> >>>> 1) If you lacquer-coat the PCB *then* transfer the toner, the >>>> lacquer fills in the toner's pores. >>> >>> James, >>> What exactly is the stuff that Americans call lacquer? That's not a term >>> that has a single meaning here. >> >> I'm pretty sure you could look it up easily,
And I get hits on a dozen different kinds of things. Acrylic, shellac, etc. So I asked James what he meant.
>> but it's a sealant made from secretions of insects "lac". Think of it as varnish.
It doesn't matter what I think of it as. If I wat to do what James did, it matters what *he* thinks of it as.
>> I'm surprised you haven't heard of it. It's very old and not at all a local term.
I've done French polish, using traditional shellac. That's not what James meant... is it?
>> I believe these days it is more a class of sealants than specifically the original one made from insects.
Exactly my point. I cannot apply "a class of sealants" I need to apply a specific sealant.
On 11/4/20 11:49 am, Ricky C wrote:
> On Friday, April 10, 2020 at 8:19:13 PM UTC-4, Clifford Heath wrote: >> On 9/4/20 9:39 am, dagmargoodboat@yahoo.com wrote: >>> I haven't been able to get toner transfer working since I changed >>> toner carts. But I've dabbled with two promising variations. >>> >>> 1) If you lacquer-coat the PCB *then* transfer the toner, the >>> lacquer fills in the toner's pores. >> >> James, >> >> What exactly is the stuff that Americans call lacquer? That's not a term >> that has a single meaning here. > > I'm pretty sure you could look it up easily,
And I get hits on a dozen different kinds of things. Acrylic, shellac, etc. So I asked James what he meant.
> but it's a sealant made from secretions of insects "lac". Think of it as varnish.
It doesn't matter what I think of it as. If I wat to do what James did, it matters what *he* thinks of it as.
> I'm surprised you haven't heard of it. It's very old and not at all a local term.
I've done French polish, using traditional shellac. That's not what James meant... is it?
> I believe these days it is more a class of sealants than specifically the original one made from insects.
Exactly my point. I cannot apply "a class of sealants" I need to apply a specific sealant. In other words, everything about your post illustrates the complete lack of comprehension that characterises all your posts. CH