Will my speed controller work on my drill press?

Started by John Doe December 27, 2019
I'm not asking for insurance. I have better than usual free veterans'
healthcare. And I take responsibility for my actions.

AC 10-220V 4000W PWM AC Motor Speed Controller

I have a motor speed controller that works for controlling some of my
saws. I'm wondering if there are any major obvious problem with trying
it on my drill press. Will it burn up my controller? I like that
controller. It might be a little sloppy, but it comes in handy.

I have read something about inductive motors (assuming the drill press
uses one) not working with speed controllers? It's a relatively large
motor with only one speed.

Thanks.

On Friday, December 27, 2019 at 6:53:09 PM UTC-5, John Doe wrote:
> I'm not asking for insurance. I have better than usual free veterans' > healthcare. And I take responsibility for my actions. > > AC 10-220V 4000W PWM AC Motor Speed Controller > > I have a motor speed controller that works for controlling some of my > saws. I'm wondering if there are any major obvious problem with trying > it on my drill press. Will it burn up my controller? I like that > controller. It might be a little sloppy, but it comes in handy. > > I have read something about inductive motors (assuming the drill press > uses one) not working with speed controllers? It's a relatively large > motor with only one speed. > > Thanks.
If it a simple induction motor, I wouldn't try it. I would find a similar 3phase motor and a VFD to control it. Anything will leave almost no torque, and burn up the motor.
On Fri, 27 Dec 2019 23:53:05 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
<always.look@message.header> wrote:

>I have read something about inductive motors (assuming the drill press >uses one) not working with speed controllers? It's a relatively large >motor with only one speed.
My guess(tm) is that your unspecified model drill press uses a single phase induction motor or if it's a really big drill press, a 3 phase induction motor. This video answers some of your questions: Will A Dimmer Switch or Transformer Control An Induction Motor's Speed? <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXJOtWPPRwE> (9:55) Note that the light dimmer control in the video is essentially a PWM controller. However, the author of the video is wrong about one item. There is such a thing as a VFD (variable frequency drive) with a single phase input and output. For example: <https://www.wolfautomation.com/blog/vfds-for-single-phase-motors/> The article explains some of the limitations of this derangement. Instead, what you should use is a single phase to 3 phase VFD, driving a 3 phase induction motor. 3 phase motors are very common, fairly cheap, quite efficient, quiet, and do not use starting and running capacitor phase shifters, which are in my never humble opinion, an abomination. Also, notice that the author of the above URL lists "drill press" as a 3 phase application. You'll probably find examples of such variable speed drill press application on: <https://www.practicalmachinist.com> (I'm too lazy to search). YouTube video on drill presses and VFD speed controls: VFD Drive Drill Press Lathe & Mill (Variable Speed) DIY. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFPX1pW3Sl8> (9:32) Installing a VFD on a Drill Press. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23lwqq9uGg4> (23:00) <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8yT8-JYIQE> (14:36) You'll probably need to buy a digital tachometer to measure the spindle RPM. Something like this: <https://www.ebay.com/itm/332908532113> Or, if you setup the drill press for a single pully ratio, a simple conversion chart from drive frequency to spindle RPM. Incidentally, I've done one such VFD conversion on a Craftsman 10" drill press, and one on a Shizuoka vertical mill. Both went fairly smoothly after we decoded the creative English translation of the Chinese instruction manual. The above videos should demonstrate that it's fairly simple to install, but hardly plug-and-play. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Been in contracting and I tell you two things, take it or leave it.

DO NOT lower the speed of any saw. It is stupid for many reasons.

They tell you to lower the blade for thinner wood on the table saw, BULLShIT, leave it sticking up as far as it goes unless you are using like a dado blade to cut grooves or something like that.

I know and I am done explaining things to everyone. I know from experience.

Like a sawzall, keep it floored or risk the blade. Try to plunge cut at low seed. Get a whole box of blades until you learn how to do it right.

A router, floor it at all times.

The only real exception is a jigsaw, and only once in a while.

Don't take my advice, you might get too successful.
jurb6006@gmail.com wrote in news:60abddc6-2766-4575-b335-9d0b08a18da3
@googlegroups.com:

> > DO NOT lower the speed of any saw. It is stupid for many reasons. >
I agree, however, all sawblades are made to no specific standard, and as such all differ as far as ideal cutting rpm. In any case faster seems would be better as slower can lead to burning on the work and reduced blade / blade tip life. Unlike meatl machining, cuting wood is usually faster is better as there is not usually a point at which a 'crash' occurs as in metal machining where to fast a feed or speed can cause a catastrophic failure and crash, and can even launch potentially deadly 'grenades' once that happens.
On Sat, 28 Dec 2019 00:11:29 -0800 (PST), jurb6006@gmail.com wrote:

>Been in contracting and I tell you two things, take it or leave it. >DO NOT lower the speed of any saw. It is stupid for many reasons. >They tell you to lower the blade for thinner wood on the table saw, BULLShIT, leave it sticking up as far as it goes unless you are using like a dado blade to cut grooves or something like that. >I know and I am done explaining things to everyone. I know from experience. >Like a sawzall, keep it floored or risk the blade. Try to plunge cut at low seed. Get a whole box of blades until you learn how to do it right. >A router, floor it at all times. >The only real exception is a jigsaw, and only once in a while. >Don't take my advice, you might get too successful.
Ummm... I hate to mention the obvious, but the original question was about lowering the speed of a drill press, not a reciprocating or rotating saw blade. Please adjust your comments accordingly. Plunge cutting with a Sawzall is easier with a specialized blade: <http://spyderproducts.com/tools/3x3-blades/> Lowering the blade on a table saw is generally a bad idea because it tends to raise thin panels off the table. In extreme cases, it can cause the panel to "chatter" up and down. Running a router at full speed or really slow are both problems. This explains the problems: <https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tips/techniques/routing/speed> -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
jurb6006@gmail.com wrote:

> DO NOT lower the speed of any saw. It is stupid for many reasons.
> The only real exception is a jigsaw, and only once in a while.
That is contradictory. It is not rocket science. There are some situations in which slower than 100% saw speed is obviously better. If not, then it's not used. But seriously... "Like a sawzall" I don't use one. I use the speed controller a lot on my homemade belt sander, too. Slowing the speed when needed allows better control of material removed. I installed the speed controller in the center of a 1 foot extension cord. Works great. Whether a speed controller works well or not is easy to tell. If it doesn't work well for a particular tool, the tool is plugged directly into the wall. But seriously...
On Saturday, 28 December 2019 08:11:34 UTC, jurb...@gmail.com  wrote:
> Been in contracting and I tell you two things, take it or leave it. > > DO NOT lower the speed of any saw. It is stupid for many reasons.
I have a compound mitre saw with 2 speeds. Lower speed works better for some things.
> They tell you to lower the blade for thinner wood on the table saw, BULLShIT, leave it sticking up as far as it goes unless you are using like a dado blade to cut grooves or something like that.
it really depends what you want to achieve most, the cut is different. There is also a safety difference, neither option being ideal. NT
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com> wrote in

> Ummm... I hate to mention the obvious, but the original question
was
> about lowering the speed of a drill press, not a reciprocating or > rotating saw blade. Please adjust your comments accordingly. >
Umm... OK. In my experience, if it has the moniker "drill press", it already has speed alteration capability built into it. Usually in the form of a series of pulleys and a belt yielding known rpm rates. If it is a simple drill motor mounted onto a press arm, it is not really a drill press. And after all this stupid crap of spending money on controllers and futzing around with it, one could simply go to harbor freight and buy a cheap chinese job for some ridiculously low price like $50 bucks or so, and VOILA! suddenly all your speed woeds are solved and you now have an item you actually can properly refer to as a drill press. It isn't like the person in the thread is performing precision drilling operations. So a cheap chinese knock off of real machine tool should be fine. Problem solved. The other manner would be to get and use a variable speed drill to start with.

Sorta. Converting pully or gear drive drill press to 3-phase motor and VFD is essentially converting it to a direct drive drill press. <https://www.google.com/search?q=drill+press+direct+drive&tbm=isch> Your explanation also doesn't explain why there are a small but growing number of drill presses retrofitted with a VFD appearing on the web. There must be some benefits to performing the conversion from pulley to electronic speed control. <https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=%22drill+press%22+%22vfd%22+conversion> So far, the justifications I can conjure are: 1. Low RPM (100 rpm) for drilling large holes in acrylic, etc. 2. Use with fly cutters at low RPM. 3. Use with a direct drive drill press (most of which already have some kind of speed control): 4. Use on a gear head drill press where the VFD plus 3-phase motor are cheaper than new gears, shifters, and 1 phase induction motor. 5. Instant stop braking (using load resistor in VFD). 6. Much noise and less vibration. 7. Availability of cheap 3 phase motors and VFD's. 8. Use for solenoid coil winding, where VERY slow RPM is needed.
> And after all this stupid crap of spending money on controllers and >futzing around with it, one could simply go to harbor freight and buy >a cheap chinese job for some ridiculously low price like $50 bucks or >so, and VOILA! suddenly all your speed woeds are solved and you now >have an item you actually can properly refer to as a drill press.
Have you seen what Harbor Fright is delivering as a low priced drill press? The last time I visited to the local store, the table was no longer cast iron, but rather stamped sheet metal. It also wasn't even close to flat, and would bend if you clamped anything to it. Somehow, every time I buy something at Harbor Fright, there is always something that's not quite correct or economized to below marginal.
>It isn't like the person in the thread is performing precision >drilling operations. So a cheap chinese knock off of real machine >tool should be fine.
True. Precision drilling is done with a vertical mill or CNC machining center. However, a VFD doesn't do anything to improve the precision of a drill press.
Ummm... we're discussing a drill press, not a hand drill. Here's mine (not converted to VFD yet): <http://www.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/home/slides/drill-press.html> -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558