AoE x-Chapters, 4x.26, MOSFET current source, nodal analysis

Started by Winfield Hill August 9, 2019
On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 11:50:08 -0500, "Tim Williams"
<tiwill@seventransistorlabs.com> wrote:

>"Tom Gardner" <spamjunk@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message >news:PFA3F.982900$j33.789547@fx26.am4... >> Nonetheless, an analytical solution to a /simplified/ model >> can yield valuable insights. The classic simplified model >> in physics is exemplified by "...assume a spherical cow...". >> >> There are many similar things in electronics, e.g. simple >> model are used to estimate EMI/EMC between one comms system >> and another. Imperfect? Of course; it never matches reality. >> Useful? Yes. > >Don't read into it too deeply. JL is not so talented at analysis, and >forgets not to project his capability onto others.
Not many people are talented at producing closed-form solutions to nonlinear system response. Most interesting electronic systems are nonlinear. What's a boy to do? One big field where instinct+simulation usually (but not always) fails is filter design. Things can get crazy and diverge fast. I have managed up to 5th order, mostly luck. I've done some nice one-side-absorptive lowpass filters by fiddling in Spice. The criterion for absorbing cable reflections was fuzzy, what looks good. "Modern filter design" is computer based anyhow. That's where the tables in the books come from. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc trk jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com http://www.highlandtechnology.com
On Saturday, August 10, 2019 at 12:54:06 PM UTC-7, tabb...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, 10 August 2019 18:55:51 UTC+1, Tim Williams wrote: > > > An interesting thing, as security goes: for all their problems, Apple has > > been quite staunch in their rejection of such softening measures.
> Was Apple's public stand for real, or was it showmanship when they complied behind closed doors? We'll probably never know.
Oh, we'll know. This kind of thing is a very temporary secret, at best. Cisco sales (and stock) plummeted when their shipped products were found to have (official US government) tampering, and Apple's iPhone sales are too important to risk, so the public stand is probably also the private one. Cisco's recent packaging is tamper-evident and more secure against counterfeiting than most currency. It's a SERIOUS concern that Apple and even Huawei must recognize, publicly and privately.
On Saturday, 10 August 2019 21:14:09 UTC+1, whit3rd  wrote:
> On Saturday, August 10, 2019 at 12:54:06 PM UTC-7, tabby wrote: > > On Saturday, 10 August 2019 18:55:51 UTC+1, Tim Williams wrote: > > > > > An interesting thing, as security goes: for all their problems, Apple has > > > been quite staunch in their rejection of such softening measures. > > > Was Apple's public stand for real, or was it showmanship when they complied behind closed doors? We'll probably never know. > > Oh, we'll know. This kind of thing is a very temporary secret, at best. > > Cisco sales (and stock) plummeted when their shipped products were found to have > (official US government) tampering, and Apple's iPhone sales are too important > to risk, so the public stand is probably also the private one. > > Cisco's recent packaging is tamper-evident and more secure against > counterfeiting than most currency. It's a SERIOUS concern that Apple > and even Huawei must recognize, publicly and privately.
point taken :) NT
On 8/10/19 4:01 PM, whit3rd wrote:
> On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 4:48:32 PM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote: > >> Besides, I've forgotten most of that college math. > > Math is universal. College is just a friendly place to learn some of it > Forgotten or not, math is omnipresent. >
"Very deep. You should send that in to the Readers' Digest--they have a page for people like you." --Ford Prefect ;) Cheers Phil Hobbs
On 10/08/2019 17:05, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> On 8/9/19 4:50 PM, Winfield Hill wrote: >> Here's a new section I'm hoping to complete, so it can be added to the >> x-Chapter book before it goes to the printer in a few weeks. Please >> look it over, but don't be too harsh, about its lack of mathematical >> vigor.&nbsp; It's closer to our usual back-of-the envelope approach to >> calculations. Fixes for errors, suggestions for clarification, >> improved accuracy, and comments welcome. >> >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/7zl3yi789idg3s8/4x.26_Loop%20%26%20Nodal%20Analysis.pdf?dl=1 >> >> > > Nice.&nbsp; I like your making a virtue out of a necessity (hand-drawn > figures). ;) > > One point that might be worth a footnote is that Kirchhoff's laws are a > low-frequency approximation, applicable only when radiation and > self-capacitance are negligible.
If your schematic is really complete, then I think that the laws apply usefully, at least until the point where radiation is efficient. I am assuming here that current through parasitic capacitances is counted just as much as if it were a current flowing through a terminal of an intentional capacitor. If, in your schematic and arithmetic, you leave out things like the inductance and self-capacitance of wires, (and in difficult cases, even the distributed capacitance at different points along the inductance of wires), then of course the result of applying Kirchoff's laws to the (incomplete) schematic won't predict the behaviour of the actual construction. I suspect that radiation could also be modelled in a way that allows Kirchoff's laws to be applied but that the resulting schematic would be too complicated. In making spice models for leadframes and bondwires, it makes a significant difference whether or not one includes the self-capacitance of the conductors (in addition to the mutual capacitances). Fastcap can extract all of these. You can apportion the capacitances to different points along the inductances of the conductors (extracted with FastHenry). The resulting model is very useful when simulating packaged chips, and of course the simulator at least attempts to satisfy Kirchoff's laws.
On 8/12/19 9:11 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
> On 10/08/2019 17:05, Phil Hobbs wrote: >> On 8/9/19 4:50 PM, Winfield Hill wrote: >>> Here's a new section I'm hoping to complete, so it can be added to >>> the x-Chapter book before it goes to the printer in a few weeks. >>> Please look it over, but don't be too harsh, about its lack of >>> mathematical vigor.&nbsp; It's closer to our usual back-of-the envelope >>> approach to calculations. Fixes for errors, suggestions for >>> clarification, improved accuracy, and comments welcome. >>> >>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/7zl3yi789idg3s8/4x.26_Loop%20%26%20Nodal%20Analysis.pdf?dl=1 >>> >>> >> >> Nice.&nbsp; I like your making a virtue out of a necessity (hand-drawn >> figures). ;) >> >> One point that might be worth a footnote is that Kirchhoff's laws are a >> low-frequency approximation, applicable only when radiation and >> self-capacitance are negligible. > > If your schematic is really complete, then I think that the laws apply > usefully, at least until the point where radiation is efficient. I am > assuming here that current through parasitic capacitances is counted > just as much as if it were a current flowing through a terminal of an > intentional capacitor. If, in your schematic and arithmetic, you leave > out things like the inductance and self-capacitance of wires, (and in > difficult cases, even the distributed capacitance at different points > along the inductance of wires), then of course the result of applying > Kirchoff's laws to the (incomplete) schematic won't predict the > behaviour of the actual construction. I suspect that radiation could > also be modelled in a way that allows Kirchoff's laws to be applied but > that the resulting schematic would be too complicated.
Nope. Transmission lines at the schematic level are non-local, i.e. you can't write a system of ODEs to describe a circuit with transmission lines or significant radiation. Kirchhoff's laws are derived from Maxwell's equations in the limit of low frequency (or alternatively, of small size for a fixed frequency). And if you have to model the circuit "in a way that allows Kirchhoff's laws to be applied", you've implicitly admitted that they don't apply to the actual circuit. Don't get me wrong--K's equations are useful and all, but they have limits. Being a physicist, I fully recognize the usefulness of sleazy approximations, but you have to remember that that's what they are, or you'll get snookered.
> > In making spice models for leadframes and bondwires, it makes a > significant difference whether or not one includes the self-capacitance > of the conductors (in addition to the mutual capacitances). Fastcap can > extract all of these. You can apportion the capacitances to different > points along the inductances of the conductors (extracted with > FastHenry). The resulting model is very useful when simulating packaged > chips, and of course the simulator at least attempts to satisfy > Kirchoff's laws.
Yeah, a lot of times you can patch up approximations by hand like that--in my business one of the major examples is scalar optics, where you treat the EM field as though it had only one component. Polarization gets put in by hand once the calculation is done. Not the absolute cleanest procedure conceptually, but it works great for almost everything. Another example is geometric optics, where you keep going back and forth between plane waves and rays, i.e. between infinitely broad wavefronts and infinitely narrow ones. When a ray encounters a curved dielectric surface, you assume that it bounced off the tangent plane at the point of incidence. That gives you the surface normal. Then you switch to the plane wave picture and apply Snell's law and the Fresnel formulae to get the direction and amplitude of the refracted ray. Both Snell and Fresnel depend on the wave picture, specifically phase matching at the boundary (Snell) and continuity of tangential E and perpendicular D (Fresnel). The derivation of Snell's law requires translational invariance, i.e. it only works on a flat boundary. So to have well-founded confidence in our tools, we have to know where they break down and how to patch them up. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 http://electrooptical.net https://hobbs-eo.com
On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 10:02:48 AM UTC-4, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> On 8/12/19 9:11 AM, Chris Jones wrote: > > On 10/08/2019 17:05, Phil Hobbs wrote: > >> On 8/9/19 4:50 PM, Winfield Hill wrote: > >>> Here's a new section I'm hoping to complete, so it can be added to > >>> the x-Chapter book before it goes to the printer in a few weeks. > >>> Please look it over, but don't be too harsh, about its lack of > >>> mathematical vigor.&nbsp; It's closer to our usual back-of-the envelope > >>> approach to calculations. Fixes for errors, suggestions for > >>> clarification, improved accuracy, and comments welcome. > >>> > >>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/7zl3yi789idg3s8/4x.26_Loop%20%26%20Nodal%20Analysis.pdf?dl=1 > >>> > >>> > >> > >> Nice.&nbsp; I like your making a virtue out of a necessity (hand-drawn > >> figures). ;) > >> > >> One point that might be worth a footnote is that Kirchhoff's laws are a > >> low-frequency approximation, applicable only when radiation and > >> self-capacitance are negligible. > > > > If your schematic is really complete, then I think that the laws apply > > usefully, at least until the point where radiation is efficient. I am > > assuming here that current through parasitic capacitances is counted > > just as much as if it were a current flowing through a terminal of an > > intentional capacitor. If, in your schematic and arithmetic, you leave > > out things like the inductance and self-capacitance of wires, (and in > > difficult cases, even the distributed capacitance at different points > > along the inductance of wires), then of course the result of applying > > Kirchoff's laws to the (incomplete) schematic won't predict the > > behaviour of the actual construction. I suspect that radiation could > > also be modelled in a way that allows Kirchoff's laws to be applied but > > that the resulting schematic would be too complicated. > > Nope. Transmission lines at the schematic level are non-local, i.e. you > can't write a system of ODEs to describe a circuit with transmission > lines or significant radiation. Kirchhoff's laws are derived from > Maxwell's equations in the limit of low frequency (or alternatively, of > small size for a fixed frequency).
Hmm Phil, to put this in my own words... and please correct me if I'm wrong.. or I'm only part right. I think a limitation of K's laws is that they treat V and I as instantaneously the same everywhere. George H. (every theory is an approximation at some level)
On 8/12/19 12:05 PM, George Herold wrote:
> On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 10:02:48 AM UTC-4, Phil Hobbs wrote: >> On 8/12/19 9:11 AM, Chris Jones wrote: >>> On 10/08/2019 17:05, Phil Hobbs wrote: >>>> On 8/9/19 4:50 PM, Winfield Hill wrote: >>>>> Here's a new section I'm hoping to complete, so it can be added to >>>>> the x-Chapter book before it goes to the printer in a few weeks. >>>>> Please look it over, but don't be too harsh, about its lack of >>>>> mathematical vigor.&nbsp; It's closer to our usual back-of-the envelope >>>>> approach to calculations. Fixes for errors, suggestions for >>>>> clarification, improved accuracy, and comments welcome. >>>>> >>>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/7zl3yi789idg3s8/4x.26_Loop%20%26%20Nodal%20Analysis.pdf?dl=1 >>>>> >>>>> >>>> >>>> Nice.&nbsp; I like your making a virtue out of a necessity (hand-drawn >>>> figures). ;) >>>> >>>> One point that might be worth a footnote is that Kirchhoff's laws are a >>>> low-frequency approximation, applicable only when radiation and >>>> self-capacitance are negligible. >>> >>> If your schematic is really complete, then I think that the laws apply >>> usefully, at least until the point where radiation is efficient. I am >>> assuming here that current through parasitic capacitances is counted >>> just as much as if it were a current flowing through a terminal of an >>> intentional capacitor. If, in your schematic and arithmetic, you leave >>> out things like the inductance and self-capacitance of wires, (and in >>> difficult cases, even the distributed capacitance at different points >>> along the inductance of wires), then of course the result of applying >>> Kirchoff's laws to the (incomplete) schematic won't predict the >>> behaviour of the actual construction. I suspect that radiation could >>> also be modelled in a way that allows Kirchoff's laws to be applied but >>> that the resulting schematic would be too complicated. >> >> Nope. Transmission lines at the schematic level are non-local, i.e. you >> can't write a system of ODEs to describe a circuit with transmission >> lines or significant radiation. Kirchhoff's laws are derived from >> Maxwell's equations in the limit of low frequency (or alternatively, of >> small size for a fixed frequency).
> Hmm Phil, to put this in my own words... and please correct me if I'm wrong.. > or I'm only part right. I think a limitation of K's laws is that they > treat V and I as instantaneously the same everywhere. > > George H. > (every theory is an approximation at some level)
Everywhere on a given circuit node or loop, right. Anything with transmission-line behaviour can't be modelled as an ODE--the fields inside the T-line can be modelled with PDEs (Maxwell), but circuits are all ODEs. The T-line has invisible internal state, so its circuit behaviour is nonlocal. Antennas have voltage nodes and antinodes on the same wire, so that K's voltage law doesn't hold, and they have current nodes and antinodes as well, so neither does the current law. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 http://electrooptical.net https://hobbs-eo.com
On 13/08/2019 00:02, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> On 8/12/19 9:11 AM, Chris Jones wrote: >> On 10/08/2019 17:05, Phil Hobbs wrote: >>> On 8/9/19 4:50 PM, Winfield Hill wrote: >>>> Here's a new section I'm hoping to complete, so it can be added to >>>> the x-Chapter book before it goes to the printer in a few weeks. >>>> Please look it over, but don't be too harsh, about its lack of >>>> mathematical vigor.&nbsp; It's closer to our usual back-of-the envelope >>>> approach to calculations. Fixes for errors, suggestions for >>>> clarification, improved accuracy, and comments welcome. >>>> >>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/7zl3yi789idg3s8/4x.26_Loop%20%26%20Nodal%20Analysis.pdf?dl=1 >>>> >>>> >>> >>> Nice.&nbsp; I like your making a virtue out of a necessity (hand-drawn >>> figures). ;) >>> >>> One point that might be worth a footnote is that Kirchhoff's laws are a >>> low-frequency approximation, applicable only when radiation and >>> self-capacitance are negligible. >> >> If your schematic is really complete, then I think that the laws apply >> usefully, at least until the point where radiation is efficient. I am >> assuming here that current through parasitic capacitances is counted >> just as much as if it were a current flowing through a terminal of an >> intentional capacitor. If, in your schematic and arithmetic, you leave >> out things like the inductance and self-capacitance of wires, (and in >> difficult cases, even the distributed capacitance at different points >> along the inductance of wires), then of course the result of applying >> Kirchoff's laws to the (incomplete) schematic won't predict the >> behaviour of the actual construction. I suspect that radiation could >> also be modelled in a way that allows Kirchoff's laws to be applied but >> that the resulting schematic would be too complicated. > > Nope. Transmission lines at the schematic level are non-local, i.e. you > can't write a system of ODEs to describe a circuit with transmission > lines or significant radiation. Kirchhoff's laws are derived from > Maxwell's equations in the limit of low frequency (or alternatively, of > small size for a fixed frequency).
I would say that that a wire on a schematic is not a valid representation of a transmission line, and if necessary I would approximate a transmission line as a ladder of (ideally infinitely) many series inductors and shunt capacitors. Of course very many components are required for this to be reasonably accurate. At frequencies where the number of required components is excessive, I would then say that a schematic is not a good way to describe the physical system.
> And if you have to model the circuit "in a way that allows Kirchhoff's > laws to be applied", you've implicitly admitted that they don't apply to > the actual circuit.
If by actual circuit we mean the physical object, then really I only expect Maxwell's equations to describe it, and I'm not very good at solving those. In a completely general sense I'm not even sure how one would try to apply Kirchoff's laws to an arbitrary three dimensional piece of electronics.
> Don't get me wrong--K's equations are useful and all, but they have > limits. Being a physicist, I fully recognize the usefulness of sleazy > approximations, but you have to remember that that's what they are, or > you'll get snookered.
Agreed. I guess I might have a rather unusual idea of what a schematic is, and this might be what causes me to take issue with what you said. To me, a schematic ought to be something that, when simulated (by some ideal simulator!), applying Kirchoff's laws, Ohm's law, i=C.dv/dt and so on, would sufficiently accurately predict the behavoiur of the real system. To me, if the predictions are wrong, then I blame the schematic as being an inaccurate representation of the system, rather than blaming the equations used to simulate the behaviour of the schematic. Perhaps my philosophy on this topic comes from having had the job of making a schematic (sometimes pulling in netlists from field solvers) in order to simulate my design as implemented in a physical product. There was an expectation that I would use a circuit simulator provided to me, that did try to apply Kirchoff's laws (though not perfectly in the case of KCL). I did at least have the luxury that the physical dimensions of the system were a tiny fraction of a wavelength.
Chris Jones wrote...
> > I guess I might have a rather unusual idea of what a schematic is, and > this might be what causes me to take issue with what you said. To me, > a schematic ought to be something that, when simulated (by some ideal > simulator!), applying Kirchoff's laws, Ohm's law, i=C.dv/dt and so on, > would sufficiently accurately predict the behavior of the real system. > > To me, if the predictions are wrong, then I blame the schematic as > being an inaccurate representation of the system, rather than blaming > the equations used to simulate the behaviour of the schematic.
Yes, I agree in that, for example, if the build documentation schematic showed e.g., a resistor and a MOSFET, the simulation schematic should show the resistor's inductance or capacitance, as needed, and the MOSFET's Ciss, gm, and other aspects. But things get more painful when the part is say a high-performance op-amp, and you don't know what's in the manufacturer's model. -- Thanks, - Win