AoE x-Chapters, 4x.26, MOSFET current source, nodal analysis

Started by Winfield Hill August 9, 2019
Jan Panteltje wrote...
> >>https://www.dropbox.com/s/7zl3yi789idg3s8/4x.26_Loop%20%26%20Nodal%20Analysis.pdf?dl=1 > > do not use '&' in filenames > do not use spaces in filenames
OK, thanks, good suggestion for DropBox links. https://www.dropbox.com/s/beyu2toxgvvedf9/4x.26_CS_Nodal-Analysis.pdf?dl=1 -- Thanks, - Win
On a sunny day (Sat, 10 Aug 2019 01:25:33 -0500) it happened "Tim Williams"
<tiwill@seventransistorlabs.com> wrote in <qilo0k$eku$1@dont-email.me>:

>"Jan Panteltje" <pNaOnStPeAlMtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message >news:qiljlc$u5k$1@dont-email.me... >> do not use '&' in filenames >> do not use spaces in filenames > >Bwahaha, it's 2019. You old *nix fogies are still having problems with >this?! > >Tim
You silly widows users still do not understand the world is MUCH greater than your latest auto update security hole.
Phil Hobbs wrote...
> > [ snip ]
Phil, thanks very much for your comments, I have made a dozen changes. And Paul will no doubt rework it further as well. -- Thanks, - Win
> > You silly widows users still do not understand the world is MUCH greater > than your latest auto update security hole. >
Windows? No, I mean I don't even hear my Linux friends complaining of shit that archaic. They used to. I assume it's been fixed. Are you using 90s Redhat or something? Update that security hole! Or they still mumble about it but have resigned themselves to hopelessness over the years... Tim -- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Design Website: https://www.seventransistorlabs.com/
On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 08:11:49 +0100, Tom Gardner
<spamjunk@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>On 10/08/19 01:55, Winfield Hill wrote: >> Plus, when you have an analytical >> solution to your circuit, you can more easily see >> what the trade offs are, and optimize the circuit. > >That should be writ large, and engraved in all >university courses. > >Unfortunately it is becoming a lost art :(
Learning classic circuit theory and analysis is critical to doing original circuit design, but it's just the starting point. Design is the opposite of analysis. And most all the interesting stuff is seriously nonlinear. What the theory can do is provide insight, guide creative fiddling. Ultimately most of us solder parts to boards to make stuff that works, not publish papers. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics
On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 03:05:57 -0400, Phil Hobbs
> >Comma splice alert! ;) > > >Cheers > >Phil Hobbs
From wiki: Brother Cadfael is the main fictional character in a series of historical murder mysteries written between 1977 and 1994 by the linguist-scholar Edith Pargeter ... That's funny. Her continuous comma splices make the books almost unreadable. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics
"Phil Hobbs" <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote in message
> One point that might be worth a footnote is that Kirchhoff's laws are a > low-frequency approximation, applicable only when radiation and > self-capacitance are negligible. It's surprising how many folks (even > some who know more about antennas than I do) treat them as Holy Writ.
Well, they're still valid locally. You wouldn't use a transmission line (as such) and assume the currents through one wire of it are equal at both ends; but you can assume so for the two terminals of each port. Likewise, the assumption breaks at frequencies where higher order (non-TEM00) modes are active; but at those frequencies, we don't call it a transmission line anymore (well, descriptively perhaps, but not theoretically). More accurately, the applicable locality is proportional to wavelength times approximation tolerance. In the lambda-->0 limit, it's simply the conservation of charge for a differential volume, or, rewritten a bit... Ampere's or Faraday's laws I think? This kind of discussion can quickly get pedantic, but it's a good idea to have somewhere. It's beyond the scope of this section; but, the transmission lines section, I believe, has yet to be seen? That's the perfect place. Just dropping a footnote to it here, would be nice. (Also in the section on R/L/Cs and their equivalent circuits, which arise for similar reasons; and probably other places?)
>> If we assume the (alpha+beta)/(alpha&#8208;1) term is about unity, the >> equation says the op&#8208;amp&rsquo;s influence is going away above a cutoff >> frequency fc = 1/2pi R2 C2, which is not a surprise. > > There's apparently nothing motivating this assumption--it would be > clearer stated the other way round. That whole paragraph is too terse, I > think. Which terms are being neglected, and what additional assumptions > does that involve?
Regarding the formatting here -- it may feel better with omega_1 and omega_2 terms (1/RC), instead of alpha and beta (frequency-dependent gain terms), or maybe included in them, or maybe doing omegas first and then instead of the rational expression with alpha and beta, a shorter H is used? I'd have to play around with the algebra a bit to see what's neater. Anyway, that might arguably be just an editing thing as well? Another assumption that I didn't see supported: ignoring the current in the sense resistor. We all know what we're doing, at least in the usual (high output current) case, but you're also talking about microcurrent sources, for which the resistors will be similar value, or the shunt resistor might even be larger. In that case we cannot ignore the contribution. A direct consequence is, instead of treating the opamp as an integrator, it's an integrator+1 term -- the +in signal gets feed-forward into both the gate and the shunt, giving weird DC and non-minimum-phase AC terms/errors. An inverting configuration would be more honest here, if inconvenient; but, I wonder also if this would have any potential improvements for dynamics? May be worth testing. I suppose a noninverting integrator configuration might also be possible (a variant on the Howland charge pump, with C load, but also with inverting feedback), again with the possibility of different performance. Tim -- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Design Website: https://www.seventransistorlabs.com/
On 10/08/19 14:47, John Larkin wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 08:11:49 +0100, Tom Gardner > <spamjunk@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote: > >> On 10/08/19 01:55, Winfield Hill wrote: >>> Plus, when you have an analytical >>> solution to your circuit, you can more easily see >>> what the trade offs are, and optimize the circuit. >> >> That should be writ large, and engraved in all >> university courses. >> >> Unfortunately it is becoming a lost art :( > > Learning classic circuit theory and analysis is critical to doing > original circuit design, but it's just the starting point. > > Design is the opposite of analysis. And most all the interesting stuff > is seriously nonlinear. > > What the theory can do is provide insight, guide creative fiddling. > Ultimately most of us solder parts to boards to make stuff that works, > not publish papers.
Completely understood and accepted. Anything significantly non-linear virtually requires number crunching rather than standard analysis. Nonetheless, an analytical solution to a /simplified/ model can yield valuable insights. The classic simplified model in physics is exemplified by "...assume a spherical cow...". There are many similar things in electronics, e.g. simple model are used to estimate EMI/EMC between one comms system and another. Imperfect? Of course; it never matches reality. Useful? Yes.
On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 15:38:39 +0100, Tom Gardner
<spamjunk@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>On 10/08/19 14:47, John Larkin wrote: >> On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 08:11:49 +0100, Tom Gardner >> <spamjunk@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote: >> >>> On 10/08/19 01:55, Winfield Hill wrote: >>>> Plus, when you have an analytical >>>> solution to your circuit, you can more easily see >>>> what the trade offs are, and optimize the circuit. >>> >>> That should be writ large, and engraved in all >>> university courses. >>> >>> Unfortunately it is becoming a lost art :( >> >> Learning classic circuit theory and analysis is critical to doing >> original circuit design, but it's just the starting point. >> >> Design is the opposite of analysis. And most all the interesting stuff >> is seriously nonlinear. >> >> What the theory can do is provide insight, guide creative fiddling. >> Ultimately most of us solder parts to boards to make stuff that works, >> not publish papers. > >Completely understood and accepted. Anything significantly >non-linear virtually requires number crunching rather than >standard analysis. > >Nonetheless, an analytical solution to a /simplified/ model >can yield valuable insights. The classic simplified model >in physics is exemplified by "...assume a spherical cow...". > >There are many similar things in electronics, e.g. simple >model are used to estimate EMI/EMC between one comms system >and another. Imperfect? Of course; it never matches reality. >Useful? Yes.
Circuit design starts with the topology problem: what is the schematic that we want to analyze? Where does it come from? In my EE school, when I talked about designing things I was told "Undergrads don't design; that starts in graduate school" so I didn't apply for grad school. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics
On a sunny day (Sat, 10 Aug 2019 08:44:21 -0500) it happened "Tim Williams"
<tiwill@seventransistorlabs.com> wrote in <qimhnb$i5d$1@dont-email.me>:

>"Jan Panteltje" <pNaOnStPeAlMtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message >news:qim2na$vu$1@dont-email.me... >> >> You silly widows users still do not understand the world is MUCH greater >> than your latest auto update security hole. >> > >Windows? No, I mean I don't even hear my Linux friends complaining of shit >that archaic. They used to. I assume it's been fixed. Are you using 90s >Redhat or something? Update that security hole!
What security hole? It '&' is just part of the bash syntax and means run program in the background.
>Or they still mumble about it but have resigned themselves to hopelessness >over the years...
Try reading a book on Unix, almost everything runs on Linux these days except for some silly widows computers in homes of people who have not bought / borrowed / stolen / rented / learned / what else have you a clue. Why do it to yerselves? And no this system is lemme see ~ # uname -a Linux panteltje12 2.6.37.6-smp #1 SMP Sat Aug 3 19:23:48 CEST 2013 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 145 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux Slackware, probably the most sane distro there is. Why bother updating? 'tworks right no? Sure YOUR system may need updating because yet an other processor security disaster was discovered last week. https://thenextweb.com/security/2019/08/06/researchers-discover-troubling-new-security-flaw-in-all-modern-intel-processors/ Not a day goes bye https://www.reuters.com/article/us-intel-cyber/new-intel-security-flaws-could-slow-some-chips-by-nearly-20-idUSKCN1SK2OD I KNOW intel procesors are part of the NSA spy network. That is why I keep the invasion plans carved in stone^H^H^H^H^HMDISC hidden so they do not know the Orange House will be taken at noon. That is why I run AMD so that sensitive data is not made public. U Use Intel I Presume? Huwei is releasing their own replacement for android shortly, thank Agent Orange's tariffs I may just get one, I do not like android, this can only get better, Dunno if it is Linux based... <press power button to delete this text> UUGH