OT: Personal aircraft, vertical takeoff and landing

Started by John Doe August 9, 2018
Reinhardt Behm wrote
It seems this one could not, that could be the case for some systems: From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicopter_flight_controls In many piston engine-powered helicopters, the pilot manipulates the throttle to maintain rotor speed. Turbine engine helicopters, and some piston helicopters, use governors or other electro-mechanical control systems to maintain rotor speed and relieve the pilot of routine responsibility for that task. (There is normally also a manual reversion available in the event of a governor failure.)
>I had a RC heli with a similar problem. When the connection between >controller and heli was lost it went to full thrust and climbed until the >batteries ran dry. Once it got lost in such a situation. >Using Bluetooth for the connection was just broken by design, going to full >thrust was the other design error.
I do not have a RC heli, just a Hubsan quadcopter and an Axion LaserArrow plane. I did a lot of modifications to the electronics. Things are getting a bit restricted foe flying here, most of this part of the country is now forbidden for drones. I am next to a mil airbase, those fly over my house at low altitude many times a day with F16 and choppers and what not.. Bluetooth is very limited in range, this all works at 2.4 GHz and at 5 GHz for video (and for some telemetry I use).

Learn something new every day... "Helicopter full down autorotation in an Enstrom F28A" https://youtu.be/RupkHgbKTro "Helicopter Full Down Autorotation Bell Huey" https://youtu.be/BkF4b6OuXJ0 And last but not least... "Mosquito Air full down autorotation" https://youtu.be/z2U0p9N5hFY
On 10/08/2018 00:22, gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 4:42:43 PM UTC-4, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote:
<snip>
>> Sailing - The fine art of getting wet and becoming ill, while going nowhere slowly at great expense (equivalent to standing in a cold shower, fully clothed, throwing up, and tearing up $100 bills, while a bunch of other people watch you). > > You are thinking of power boats. In a kayak you have to paddle as well! > > Rick C.
And it's cold. You can't have your kayak and heat it. Cheers -- Clive
On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 4:40:47 AM UTC-4, Clive Arthur wrote:
> On 10/08/2018 00:22, gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com wrote: > > On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 4:42:43 PM UTC-4, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote: > > <snip> > > >> Sailing - The fine art of getting wet and becoming ill, while going nowhere slowly at great expense (equivalent to standing in a cold shower, fully clothed, throwing up, and tearing up $100 bills, while a bunch of other people watch you). > > > > You are thinking of power boats. In a kayak you have to paddle as well! > > > > Rick C. > > And it's cold. You can't have your kayak and heat it.
No, you wear a wet or dry suit and then the problem becomes cooling. But that's an easy one, rotary cooling. We also call that rolling. Rick C.

Or brute force: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tail-sitter -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com http://www.highlandtechnology.com
That is how my laser-arrow can do vertical takeoff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PONksCkJTI 160 km/h about 99 miles per hour. I tried to make it hoover.... no. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boe_foS4SlY
The "Hoover" was a popular synthesizer sound in many commercial electronic music recordings throughout the 1990s <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoover_sound>
On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 1:53:46 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
> Or brute force: > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tail-sitter
> John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc > picosecond timing precision measurement
> jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com > http://www.highlandtechnology.com
As my flight instructor used to say, "Taking off is optional. Landing is mandantory."
John Doe wrote:
> > Helicopters are very risky. Even a quadcopter crashes and burns if > one motor fails. A copter with five or more motors might be good for > short trips.
20-something years ago there was a documentary on a guy whose dream was to build a quad-copter out of 4 rusty surplus transport copters and a square steel framework. He wanted it for logging, to replace a balloon IIRC. One copter failed and all 4 pilots came down. I don't remember if they all lived.
AT Saturday 11 August 2018 18:34, Steve Wilson wrote:

> On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 1:53:46 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote: >> Or brute force: >> >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tail-sitter > >> John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc >> picosecond timing precision measurement > >> jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com >> http://www.highlandtechnology.com > > As my flight instructor used to say, "Taking off is optional. Landing is > mandantory."
A good landing is when the A/C comes down in one piece, a very good landing is when it can be used again. -- Reinhardt