Reply by Mike Coon August 26, 20182018-08-26
In article <Z5CgD.84014$GU1.25316@fx34.am4>, johnny-b-
good@invalid.ntlworld.com says...
> > All that may be true but you seem to have missed the (old) joke > reference to the phrase; "You can't have your cake and eat it." :-)
Which was the punch-line to a long story (one of many) told by Frank Muir and Denis Norden in the BBC radio programme "My Word". (IIRC the kayayk was, improbably, crewed by Ab, Abdul and Abdullah.) Mike.
Reply by Johnny B Good August 26, 20182018-08-26
On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 08:29:48 -0700, gnuarm.deletethisbit wrote:

> On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 4:40:47 AM UTC-4, Clive Arthur wrote: >> On 10/08/2018 00:22, gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com wrote: >> > On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 4:42:43 PM UTC-4, Lasse Langwadt >> > Christensen wrote: >> >> <snip> >> >> >> Sailing - The fine art of getting wet and becoming ill, while going >> >> nowhere slowly at great expense (equivalent to standing in a cold >> >> shower, fully clothed, throwing up, and tearing up $100 bills, while >> >> a bunch of other people watch you). >> > >> > You are thinking of power boats. In a kayak you have to paddle as >> > well! >> > >> > Rick C. >> >> And it's cold. You can't have your kayak and heat it. > > No, you wear a wet or dry suit and then the problem becomes cooling. > But that's an easy one, rotary cooling. We also call that rolling. >
All that may be true but you seem to have missed the (old) joke reference to the phrase; "You can't have your cake and eat it." :-) -- Johnny B Good
Reply by bitrex August 12, 20182018-08-12
On 08/11/2018 10:17 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> John Doe wrote: >> >> Helicopters are very risky. Even a quadcopter crashes and burns if >> one motor fails. A copter with five or more motors might be good for >> short trips. > > 20-something years ago there was a documentary on a guy whose dream was > to build a quad-copter out of 4 rusty surplus transport copters and a > square steel framework. He wanted it for logging, to replace a balloon > IIRC. One copter failed and all 4 pilots came down. I don't remember > if they all lived. > >
The moral of this story is to have pedestrian dreams. Mine is to hopefully own my own small tool/garden shed before I'm 50.
Reply by Reinhardt Behm August 12, 20182018-08-12
AT Saturday 11 August 2018 18:34, Steve Wilson wrote:

> On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 1:53:46 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote: >> Or brute force: >> >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tail-sitter > >> John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc >> picosecond timing precision measurement > >> jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com >> http://www.highlandtechnology.com > > As my flight instructor used to say, "Taking off is optional. Landing is > mandantory."
A good landing is when the A/C comes down in one piece, a very good landing is when it can be used again. -- Reinhardt
Reply by Tom Del Rosso August 11, 20182018-08-11
John Doe wrote:
> > Helicopters are very risky. Even a quadcopter crashes and burns if > one motor fails. A copter with five or more motors might be good for > short trips.
20-something years ago there was a documentary on a guy whose dream was to build a quad-copter out of 4 rusty surplus transport copters and a square steel framework. He wanted it for logging, to replace a balloon IIRC. One copter failed and all 4 pilots came down. I don't remember if they all lived.
Reply by Steve Wilson August 11, 20182018-08-11
On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 1:53:46 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
> Or brute force: > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tail-sitter
> John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc > picosecond timing precision measurement
> jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com > http://www.highlandtechnology.com
As my flight instructor used to say, "Taking off is optional. Landing is mandantory."
Reply by bitrex August 10, 20182018-08-10
On 08/10/2018 03:02 PM, 698839253X6D445TD@nospam.org wrote:
> John Larkin wrote: >> Or brute force: >> >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tail-sitter > > That is how my laser-arrow can do vertical takeoff: > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PONksCkJTI > > 160 km/h about 99 miles per hour. > > I tried to make it hoover.... no. > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boe_foS4SlY >
The "Hoover" was a popular synthesizer sound in many commercial electronic music recordings throughout the 1990s <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoover_sound>
Reply by August 10, 20182018-08-10
John Larkin wrote:
>Or brute force: > >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tail-sitter
That is how my laser-arrow can do vertical takeoff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PONksCkJTI 160 km/h about 99 miles per hour. I tried to make it hoover.... no. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boe_foS4SlY
Reply by John Larkin August 10, 20182018-08-10
On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 21:13:59 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

> [...]
Or brute force: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tail-sitter -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com http://www.highlandtechnology.com
Reply by August 10, 20182018-08-10
On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 4:40:47 AM UTC-4, Clive Arthur wrote:
> On 10/08/2018 00:22, gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com wrote: > > On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 4:42:43 PM UTC-4, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote: > > <snip> > > >> Sailing - The fine art of getting wet and becoming ill, while going nowhere slowly at great expense (equivalent to standing in a cold shower, fully clothed, throwing up, and tearing up $100 bills, while a bunch of other people watch you). > > > > You are thinking of power boats. In a kayak you have to paddle as well! > > > > Rick C. > > And it's cold. You can't have your kayak and heat it.
No, you wear a wet or dry suit and then the problem becomes cooling. But that's an easy one, rotary cooling. We also call that rolling. Rick C.