RF Quiet Wall warts

Started by Martin Riddle August 24, 2017
Piotr Wyderski <peter.pan@neverland.mil> wrote:
> Rob wrote: > >> I know, I have clocks like that and I am seeing all the time how they >> have more and more difficulty receiving the signal. > > But they are just consumer products, they can fail without many > serious implications. Remote meter switching for the purpose of > proper bill calculation is another story, can end with a lawsuit.
But is this system still in active use and planned to remain so? Over here, meter switching traditionally was done using audo frequency switching (superimposed on the mains itself), but this is being phased out and replaced by systems for remote meter readout over GPRS. The support for day/night switching on traditional meters will end in about a year, from then on passive meters will only offer single-tariff.
>> So, I now use GPS as a reference. > > GPS requires direct sky visibility, which sometimes is a serious > problem. The VLF signals can be received easily deep in the concrete > buildings, it's just the noise that makes it hard to decode.
It is not so bad as it used to be. GPS receivers can operate in a building, certainly when only used for network-grade time referencing. VLF in concrete buildings never worked great, it sort of worked but with limitations. And interference from SMPS is not the first problem, in the past interference from CRT monitors was also a big problem. With a suitably placed outdoor antenna it will likely still work fine. (stronger signal and weaker interference)
On 27 Aug 2017 08:38:51 GMT, Rob <nomail@example.com> wrote:

>So, I now use GPS as a reference.
And what do you do when the GPS band noise level increases, swamping the GPS signal. After all, the despread SNR is quite low to begin with. Just what is going to happen on the ISM bands, such as 2.45 GHz when more and more devices are installed in that band. A specific WLAN link might work today at the desired distance, but what happens next week when one new devices are introduced ? The link range may drop significantly and there is really much you can do about it.
On Sat, 26 Aug 2017 22:50:24 +0200, Piotr Wyderski
<peter.pan@neverland.mil> wrote:

>Rob wrote: > >> This is also the reason why nobody cares about the interference from >> wall warts. The AM (HF) bands are no longer used by the public. > >Germany and a fair fraction of Europe work thanks to the AM >transmissions (DCF77@77.5kHz for time broadcast, DCF49@129kHz >for remote control of power meters etc.). Unfortunately, the >lower LF band is where the EMI is highest. There are PM signals >too, but no consumer-grade devices use that due to the involved >complexity. There is also LORAN, but it is not very useful on land. > > Best regards, Piotr
In the US, the problem is that WWVH at 60.0kHz also transmits BPSK data, the technology is tied up by patents. The patent holder, Xtendwave (Everset Technologies), was suppose to provide a suitable chip but hasn't done anything since it was introduced. Cut-n-pasted from something I posted to S.E.D. last year on the topic with a few additions and corrections: (...) <http://www.xtendwave.com> <http://everset-tech.com> The mythical ES1000 chip: <http://everset-tech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/ES100DataSheetver0p97.pdf> <http://news.thomasnet.com/companystory/Xtendwave-Selects-EnSilica-s-eSi-3200-Processor-for-the-Receiver-IC-Implementing-NIST-s-Next-Generation-WWVB-Atomic-Timekeeping-Signal-616104> Patents and applications: <https://www.google.com/patents/US20130121397> <https://www.google.com/patents/US8270465> <https://www.google.com/patents/US20120082008> <https://www.google.com/patents/WO2013074789A3> and a whole bunch more patents and applications: <https://www.google.com/search?tbm=pts&q=xtendwave> Patent ownership is now in the hands of Grindstone Capital. See "Legal Events" at the bottom of the page on most of the patents. <http://www.plainsite.org/profiles/grindstone-capital-llc/> (click on "patent assignments" tab). Unless something has changed in the last year, at the current rate of progress, I don't know if we'll ever see PM chips. If anyone has some up to date info on the topic, I would be very interested. Switching to BPSK offers a 10dB processing gain. Accumulating an hours worth of data will add maybe another 18dB of processing gain. Since most of the switching power supply noise and interference appears as amplitude modulation, switching to a phase modulated system will also add quite a bit of noise immunity. I recall seeing some info on the topic in the Time-Nuts mailing list, but I can't seem to find it. The basic "interference" problem is that it takes a full minute to obtain one full frame, and two or three frames to determine that the received data is valid. Three seconds is a very long time to expect noise free reception. Simply flipping a nearby light switch will produce a small arc, which will disrupt reception. A rather complex do it thyself WWVB BPSK receiver: <http://www.arrl.org/files/file/QEX_Next_Issue/2015/Nov-Dec_2015/Magliacane.pdf> Some of my playing around with WWVB antenna polarization and orientation showing the effects of cross polarization: <http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/WWVB%20test/> My comments on the photos: <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sci.electronics.repair/MqjLM2aTNs8/5_kBf3NKNTMJ> The LORAN C system was turned off in the US in 2014 and in most of Europe in 2015: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loran-C#Loran-C_in_the_21st_century> -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
upsidedown@downunder.com <upsidedown@downunder.com> wrote:
> On 27 Aug 2017 08:38:51 GMT, Rob <nomail@example.com> wrote: > >>So, I now use GPS as a reference. > > And what do you do when the GPS band noise level increases, swamping > the GPS signal. After all, the despread SNR is quite low to begin > with.
It isn't. You must be referring to the SNR before despreading. GPS is at 1575 MHz. It will not be affected soon by the kind of interference we are talking about.
> Just what is going to happen on the ISM bands, such as 2.45 GHz when > more and more devices are installed in that band. A specific WLAN link > might work today at the desired distance, but what happens next week > when one new devices are introduced ? The link range may drop > significantly and there is really much you can do about it.
That is what you get on ISM bands. Free spectrum but no allocation policy and no guarantee of interference-free use. The part of the ISM band that overlapped with the 13cm HAM band has been declared receive-and-satellite-uplink-only here. (2400-2450) (to reduce the risk of interference from HAMs to WiFi)
On Sun, 27 Aug 2017 18:20:19 +0300, upsidedown@downunder.com wrote:

>On 27 Aug 2017 08:38:51 GMT, Rob <nomail@example.com> wrote: > >>So, I now use GPS as a reference. > >And what do you do when the GPS band noise level increases, swamping >the GPS signal. After all, the despread SNR is quite low to begin >with.
You won't have long to wait for that to happen in the US. A few years ago, Lightsquared donated enough money to the Democrats to convince the FCC to allocate the spectrum they had won at auction to terrestrial cellular service. Unfortunately, the channels were adjacent to the GPS frequencies. Also unfortunately, GPS receivers have rather wide receiver front ends[1] making them susceptible to interference from nearby services. The outcry by GPS users was sufficient for the FCC to table the matter and for Lightsquared to back off, for a while. Well, they're back as Ligado Networks: <http://ligado.com> <https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/05/05/this-company-wants-to-build-a-wireless-network-for-drones-trains-and-automobiles/> They've spent the last 5 years doing "research" and are offering a new grand plan to any company or organization that had previously protested their scheme. They've also continued to "support" the proper political party and office holders. Since the FCC is no longer interested in what the public needs, I predict that Ligado will get approval to use their frequencies. Since the FCC is no longer in the enforcement business, I can also predict that any interference reports will be ignored. Say goodbye to GPS in metro areas. My guess(tm) is that they will use terrestrial repeaters to extend coverage, exactly like Sirus/XM does. These are NOT low power devices and are intended to fill in coverage holes that are inaccessible by satellite. The problem is that most of metro coverage for Sirus/XM comes from these repeaters, not satellite. I expect much the same from Ligado where the satellite system is simply an excuse to build a terrestrial network.
>Just what is going to happen on the ISM bands, such as 2.45 GHz when >more and more devices are installed in that band. A specific WLAN link >might work today at the desired distance, but what happens next week >when one new devices are introduced ? The link range may drop >significantly and there is really much you can do about it.
Yep, it's a problem. The surest sign of success is pollution and WiFi is certainly successful. The unlicensed outdoor long range links are the most susceptible. It's impossible to get any kind of long range link on 2.4GHz. 5GHz is still possible, but only with high gain antennas to provide the best possible SNR and to reduce interference from the sides and back. I don't know how long that will last. There are a few such links that have already moved up to the next available band at 24GHz. <https://www.ubnt.com/airfiber/airfiber24/> -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com> wrote:
> The basic "interference" problem is that it takes a full minute to > obtain one full frame, and two or three frames to determine that the > received data is valid. Three seconds is a very long time to expect > noise free reception. Simply flipping a nearby light switch will > produce a small arc, which will disrupt reception.
You mean 3 minutes. With DCF77 there is more possibility for checking as there are parity bits and also the values are in BCD and have a limited value range within that (e.g. minutes field can only be 00..59) Usually a receiving system has "some idea of the correct time" and can determine with reasonable certainty if a received datagram is correct. Receiving multiple datagrams of course can improve that certainty, but they do not have to be consecutive for that. Still, it can be tricky to obtain a clean datagram under conditions of interference.
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com> wrote:
> Yep, it's a problem. The surest sign of success is pollution and WiFi > is certainly successful. The unlicensed outdoor long range links are > the most susceptible. It's impossible to get any kind of long range > link on 2.4GHz. 5GHz is still possible, but only with high gain > antennas to provide the best possible SNR and to reduce interference > from the sides and back.
But that is as it should be! With the limited number of channels available, it should be considered criminal to try to setup an outdoor long range link without using high gain antennas with small sidelobes.
On 27 Aug 2017 16:32:07 GMT, Rob <nomail@example.com> wrote:

>Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com> wrote: >> The basic "interference" problem is that it takes a full minute to >> obtain one full frame, and two or three frames to determine that the >> received data is valid. Three seconds is a very long time to expect >> noise free reception. Simply flipping a nearby light switch will >> produce a small arc, which will disrupt reception.
>You mean 3 minutes.
Oops. Side effect of talking on the phone while writing all that.
The current AM WWVB coding does not include any parity bits: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWVB#Amplitude-modulated_time_code> The new PM WWVB encoding includes 5 parity bits and repeats one LSB: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWVB#Phase_modulated_time_code> More than you probably wanted to know about the protocol used: <https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2017/05/09/NIST-Enhanced-WWVB-Broadcast-Format-2012-09-26-2.pdf> The most common AM time receiver chips by C-Max use an algorithm that requires 2 or 3 sequential successful frames before the clock will be updated: <http://www.c-max-time.com> See the "compare both telegrams" box in the flow chart: <http://www.c-max-time.com/tech/software6005.php>
>Usually a receiving system has "some idea of the correct time" and can >determine with reasonable certainty if a received datagram is correct. >Receiving multiple datagrams of course can improve that certainty, but >they do not have to be consecutive for that.
There is no storage in the C-Max chipset. There are receivers with storage capabilities, but those use the storage for error correction and accuracy improvement by accumulating previous frames.
>Still, it can be tricky to obtain a clean datagram under conditions of >interference.
Tricky? no. Expensive? maybe. Messy? probably. For example, how hard would it be to throw together a diversity reception system using two DCF77 receivers that are geographically separated? With data arriving at the screaming rate of 1 bit/second, there's plenty of time to perform computation on the probability that the bit is a one or a zero. The disk drive manufacturers do that because the data from the head looks more like garbage than data. Lots of other error correction tricks can be used, all of which require storage of previous data and adequate computation time. Incidentally, a problem with using WWVB as a reference is that it doesn't really make a good stabilized clock oscillator. There were WWVB disciplined oscillators available: <http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spectracom-8164-NBS-Receiver-Disciplined-Oscillator-/172838067755> but they were replaced by GPSDO's long ago. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
On 27 Aug 2017 16:27:06 GMT, Rob <nomail@example.com> wrote:

>upsidedown@downunder.com <upsidedown@downunder.com> wrote: >> On 27 Aug 2017 08:38:51 GMT, Rob <nomail@example.com> wrote: >> >>>So, I now use GPS as a reference. >> >> And what do you do when the GPS band noise level increases, swamping >> the GPS signal. After all, the despread SNR is quite low to begin >> with. > >It isn't. You must be referring to the SNR before despreading.
I am referring to the despread SNR. Going from the 1.023 MHz chip rate to 1 kHz carrier gives about 30 dB processing gain. The GPS data is transmitted at only 50 bit/s, with a further processing gain of 13 dB. Detecting this 50 bit/s will require a few dB positive SNR. Counting backwards, the on-air SNR in 1.023 MHz bandwidth must be better than -40 dB.
>GPS is at 1575 MHz. It will not be affected soon by the kind of >interference we are talking about.
Just add a large number UWB sources and the noise level will increase all over.
On 27 Aug 2017 17:02:44 GMT, Rob <nomail@example.com> wrote:

>Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com> wrote: >> Yep, it's a problem. The surest sign of success is pollution and WiFi >> is certainly successful. The unlicensed outdoor long range links are >> the most susceptible. It's impossible to get any kind of long range >> link on 2.4GHz. 5GHz is still possible, but only with high gain >> antennas to provide the best possible SNR and to reduce interference >> from the sides and back.
>But that is as it should be! With the limited number of channels >available, it should be considered criminal to try to setup an outdoor >long range link without using high gain antennas with small sidelobes.
Criminal? Are you planning to prosecute someone for failing to use good engineering practices? I wouldn't mind seeing that because it would put most of my competitors in jail. Actually, the FCC "encourages" users of point to point links to use big high gain antennas. Part 15.247 describes how the gain of a directional antenna can be increased by 3dB for every 1dB drop in transmit power. That grinds out to a 24 dBm transmitter and a 24 dBi antenna, which produces 48 dBm EIRP or 62 watts EIRP. Note that the interference problem with high gain antennas and point to point links is along the line of sight of the antenna, not to the sides or back. Along the line of sight, the gain of the antenna is highest. It's very likely that some other wi-fi transmitter is located along this line of sight, usually behind the intended other end of the wireless link. I have a 400ft link between my house and one of the neighbors. When I first set it up, I failed to notice that a local mountain top radio site was directly in line with my antenna. The mountain top is about 8 miles away and is full of interference sources. Nothing would work until I reduced my antenna gain and moved the link. Incidentally, for point to point wireless bridges, I like to use Ubiquiti PowerBeam PBE-M5-400 radios at about $100/end. <https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/powerbeam/PowerBeam_DS.pdf> There are 3 different sizes of antennas and some options to deal with the side lobes. As long as I pick my channels carefully, I don't have much trouble with interference from other users of the 5GHz band. The built in spectrum analyzer software is a big help. Fun and games: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-range_Wi-Fi> -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558