RF Quiet Wall warts

Started by Martin Riddle August 24, 2017
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com> wrote:
> I do some computah work for the author. I recently unloaded about 50 > lbs of linear wall warts on his doorstep. Over the years, he has > systematically replaced as many switchers with linear power supplies > as possible.
Swiching power supplies are much more efficient, both in operation and in manufacturing. They use a lot less resources to manufacture. That is what the world needs more than clean HF bands. Live with it.
"whit3rd" <whit3rd@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> FWIW, ferrites rarely do more than 3-6dB of attenuation. A long stack of >> them, maybe over 10dB. The reason is, if there's no shunting impedance >> (to >> ground, or, more generally, to the other cable coming out of the box), >> it's >> an impedance divider against the capacitance-to-space of the cables in >> question. > > I've seen more dramatic results than that, with the common-mode ferrite > formulations > which are very lossy (it's a series resistor at RF).
Then you probably had one of those lucky situations where there was shunting impedance to ground. :-) Tim -- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
On 08/26/2017 02:36 PM, Rob wrote:
> Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com> wrote: >> I do some computah work for the author. I recently unloaded about 50 >> lbs of linear wall warts on his doorstep. Over the years, he has >> systematically replaced as many switchers with linear power supplies >> as possible. > > Swiching power supplies are much more efficient, both in operation > and in manufacturing. They use a lot less resources to manufacture. > > That is what the world needs more than clean HF bands. Live with it. >
Gee, it's great that there are people like you, People Who Know Best. Otherwise we the great unwashed would have no one to tell us how to think, and then where would we be? There's nothing that prevents one from making quiet switching supplies. They just cost more. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net
On 26 Aug 2017 18:36:58 GMT, Rob <nomail@example.com> wrote:

>Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com> wrote: >> I do some computah work for the author. I recently unloaded about 50 >> lbs of linear wall warts on his doorstep. Over the years, he has >> systematically replaced as many switchers with linear power supplies >> as possible.
>Swiching power supplies are much more efficient, both in operation >and in manufacturing. They use a lot less resources to manufacture. > >That is what the world needs more than clean HF bands. Live with it.
It's not just the HF bands. A few years ago, we were helping the county radio shop track down a noise source that was trashing the input to one of their VHF voting system receivers. It turned out to be a switching power supply running some LED lighting about 1.5 miles away. Something like these: <http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Transformer-Supply-ACDC-12V-5A-10A-15A-20A-30A-Switching-Strip-Light-Drive-/272786549536> Someone tore it apart and determined that there was little in the way of RFI protection on either the input or output. However, that wasn't the real problem. The PWM chip had a feature called "spread spectrum" where the RFI generated is spread over a much wider bandwidth, resulting in reduced peak power. In effect, it takes some fairly narrow band radiated switching junk and splatters it all over a wider bandwidth. The FCC allows this because some brilliant attorney decided that only the peak emission level was important, not the overall power belched by the interference source. So, you're right... the world needs more than clean HF bands. It needs a non-political FCC. About 30 years ago, a few people saw what was coming and tried to convince the FCC and the ITU to allocate specific frequencies for switching power supplies. Such a frequency would be declared the dumping ground for switcher RFI, such as 13.56MHz. We worked out a preliminary frequency plan, which was far from ideal, but at least a good start. The idea was summarily killed when the spread spectrum trick was accepted by the FCC as the "solution" to the EMI/RFI problem. So, while you're enjoying your switcher powered gizmos and gadgets, there are a few of us that are doing what we can to clean up the mess that your attitude seem to have left behind. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Steve Wilson wrote:

> I guess the old guys have died off, and > amateur radio doesn't have the same appeal as google.
It has never been very appealing, in my wannabe HAM days they mostly exchanged RST reports. Several days of listening to the real HAMs entirely killed the desire to obtain my own license. I wanted to build devices, not to become a protein-based RSSI.
> Electronics seems to be following the same route as the vacuum tube. But > there are very active local clubs into Arduinos and robotics, so there is > some hope for the future.
But they moved from designing electronics to connecting modules. Sometimes the results are very spectacular, but, on the other hand, no ready-made module == impossible. Still much better that listening to Bieber, though... Best regards, Piotr

Germany and a fair fraction of Europe work thanks to the AM transmissions (DCF77@77.5kHz for time broadcast, DCF49@129kHz for remote control of power meters etc.). Unfortunately, the lower LF band is where the EMI is highest. There are PM signals too, but no consumer-grade devices use that due to the involved complexity. There is also LORAN, but it is not very useful on land. Best regards, Piotr
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

> About 30 years ago, a few people saw what was coming and tried to > convince the FCC and the ITU to allocate specific frequencies for > switching power supplies. Such a frequency would be declared the > dumping ground for switcher RFI, such as 13.56MHz. We worked out a > preliminary frequency plan, which was far from ideal, but at least a > good start. The idea was summarily killed when the spread spectrum > trick was accepted by the FCC as the "solution" to the EMI/RFI > problem.
But would it ever work? The frequency of the switchers is mostly limited by the magnetics and then by the MOSFET drivers/losses. That puts them in the 50kHz...1MHz band, which is/used to be densely populated. They use square waves of variable duty cycle, with the harmonic garbage way above their "baseband". The resonant soft switchers are a novelty from the mass market perspective. So how would a static allocation of, say, 100kHz help here? Best regards, Piotr
On Sat, 26 Aug 2017 12:54:12 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On 26 Aug 2017 18:36:58 GMT, Rob <nomail@example.com> wrote: > >>Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com> wrote: >>> I do some computah work for the author. I recently unloaded about 50 >>> lbs of linear wall warts on his doorstep. Over the years, he has >>> systematically replaced as many switchers with linear power supplies >>> as possible. > >>Swiching power supplies are much more efficient, both in operation >>and in manufacturing. They use a lot less resources to manufacture. >> >>That is what the world needs more than clean HF bands. Live with it. > >It's not just the HF bands. A few years ago, we were helping the >county radio shop track down a noise source that was trashing the >input to one of their VHF voting system receivers. It turned out to >be a switching power supply running some LED lighting about 1.5 miles >away. Something like these:
Over a mile away? Did you sic the FCC on them? Good point, though, they should ban all those new fangled fluorescent and LED lights and go back to good old tungsten.
><http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Transformer-Supply-ACDC-12V-5A-10A-15A-20A-30A-Switching-Strip-Light-Drive-/272786549536> >Someone tore it apart and determined that there was little in the way >of RFI protection on either the input or output. However, that wasn't >the real problem. The PWM chip had a feature called "spread spectrum" >where the RFI generated is spread over a much wider bandwidth, >resulting in reduced peak power. In effect, it takes some fairly >narrow band radiated switching junk and splatters it all over a wider >bandwidth. The FCC allows this because some brilliant attorney >decided that only the peak emission level was important, not the >overall power belched by the interference source. So, you're right... >the world needs more than clean HF bands. It needs a non-political >FCC.
Nonsense. Receivers are sensitive to the in-band energy. Spreading it out *helps* EMI. It has other issues but it does do exactly what it was intended to do. BTW, EMI tests aren't just peak tests. The unit has to test quasi-peak and average masks, as well.
>About 30 years ago, a few people saw what was coming and tried to >convince the FCC and the ITU to allocate specific frequencies for >switching power supplies. Such a frequency would be declared the >dumping ground for switcher RFI, such as 13.56MHz. We worked out a >preliminary frequency plan, which was far from ideal, but at least a >good start. The idea was summarily killed when the spread spectrum >trick was accepted by the FCC as the "solution" to the EMI/RFI >problem.
Which would do absolutely nothing for harmonics (the real problem) unless all of the harmonics of your magic switching frequency were also reserved. 13.56MHz would be rather useless as a reserved switcher frequency, considering that this is rather high for the fundamental (see above for harmonics). The issue is proper design. It can be, and is, done. Some industries have stricter limits than the FCC's and they deal with switching power supplies without too much trouble.
> >So, while you're enjoying your switcher powered gizmos and gadgets, >there are a few of us that are doing what we can to clean up the mess >that your attitude seem to have left behind.
Not too self-important. No, not you!
On Friday, August 25, 2017 at 5:39:21 PM UTC-4, Tim Williams wrote:
> "George Herold" <gherold@teachspin.com> wrote in message > news:93599ccd-3251-4d04-93c4-a140ac54523d@googlegroups.com... > > That makes sense. I do a lot of hunt and pecking when dealing with > > interference. Here's my fav, ferrite choking a usb line. > > > > https://www.dropbox.com/s/twhtnr6mzq7mwil/ferrite.JPG?dl=0 > > > > It worked and I moved on. :^) > > The irony is, see that shielded connector and cable? This is something that > should be literally impossible to happen.
Oh, I assumed the common mode got in at the source. The computer ground (or something) was bouncing around. George H.
> > I wonder if there's actually a "Typhoid Mary" among appnotes where the > connector housing is shown with a ferrite bead to ground. USB connector > appnotes are uniformly bad. > > Tim > > -- > Seven Transistor Labs, LLC > Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design > Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
On Sat, 26 Aug 2017 23:27:55 +0200, Piotr Wyderski
<peter.pan@neverland.mil> wrote:

>Jeff Liebermann wrote: > >> About 30 years ago, a few people saw what was coming and tried to >> convince the FCC and the ITU to allocate specific frequencies for >> switching power supplies. Such a frequency would be declared the >> dumping ground for switcher RFI, such as 13.56MHz. We worked out a >> preliminary frequency plan, which was far from ideal, but at least a >> good start. The idea was summarily killed when the spread spectrum >> trick was accepted by the FCC as the "solution" to the EMI/RFI >> problem.
>But would it ever work? The frequency of the switchers is mostly limited >by the magnetics and then by the MOSFET drivers/losses. That puts them >in the 50kHz...1MHz band, which is/used to be densely populated. They >use square waves of variable duty cycle, with the harmonic garbage way >above their "baseband". The resonant soft switchers are a novelty from >the mass market perspective. So how would a static allocation of, say, >100kHz help here? > > Best regards, Piotr
I'm fairly sure the scheme would work if the switchers were frequency stabilized with either a crystal oscillator or ceramic resonator. Same as with any uP or clocked device. Most of the energy would be in the fundamental and 3rd harmonic. As the harmonic frequency increases, it becomes easier to shield and filter. Square waves have 67% of the energy in the fundamental, and the remaining 33% in odd order harmonics. As the duty cycle changes the waveform become asymmetrical, producing more and more even order harmonics. Eventually, for really low duty cycles, it becomes a pulse train which produces a comb line of equal power signals. <http://www.analog.com/en/analog-dialogue/articles/understanding-switching-reg-output-artifacts.html> Obviously, we're not suggesting that all switchers operate at 13.56MHz, which incidentally was one of the original diathermy frequencies. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diathermy#Short_wave> There are other frequencies, but none low enough to be usable in a switching power supply: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISM_band> So, we had to find an empty frequency and go through the ordeal process of getting the FCC, ETSI, CEPT, and later the ITU to allocate or reassign new frequencies. At the time (about 1977) it was apparent that the long wave marine navigation beacon band (160KHz to 530KHz) was eventually going to be replaced by NAVSTAR (now known as GPS) system. Since it was expected to take at least 20 years to get approval for a reallocation of the LW spectrum, this was a reasonable strategy. As it turned out, most of the US beacons were turned off in 1997, almost exactly 20 years later. There was also a problem with the US Navy, which wanted some of the low end of the LW beacon band for submarine communications. However, none of this happened when spread spectrum PWM power supply modulation arrived and killed the plan. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558