Audio Generator or Function Generator? Which to get?

Started by Unknown March 13, 2017
On 3/15/2017 4:06 PM, whit3rd wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 8:27:11 PM UTC-7, rickman wrote: >> On 3/14/2017 9:24 PM, whit3rd wrote: > >>> What is inconvenient, is that one cannot dial the frequency with an analog knob, while >>> listening for room resonances or speaker-crossover blips. A DDS solution will have to >>> be programmed to do a sweep, and ... > >> You mean like this? >> >> http://www.etc.sk/index.php/en/products/auxiliary-equipment/control-panels/item/136-control-panel-for-usb-oscilloscopes.html > > It looks good, doesn't it? The Agilent had a knob, that controlled one digit at a time of the > frequency (so it would give you a step on dialing). The multipurpose 'knob' of a DDS > gets so many functions assigned to it... just spend a minute or two in the menus, and > you can attach the knob to the 'frequency' attribute. First, though, just a minute or > two in the menus, and you cn attach it to the 'amplitude' attribute. Before that, of course, > you gotta power the gizmo up and give a few seconds to boot, and squint at a few > menus to make sure it's not simulating heartbeats, 'cuz you want a sinewave. > > On a test bench, you want to power ON, adjust volume to see a meter move, or hear the > speakers sound off. Then you check the frequency range, and turn the F dial... > all of which takes four seconds. Total.
Yeah, so? I can't fix my flat tire with a hammer either. -- Rick C
tabb...@gmail.com wrote:

> > I doubt it managed 50%, let alone 0.5%. >
** See page 20 of the pdf. You are so full of shit. It had 3 outputs, sine square & triangle. At some frequencies one output looked more like one of the others should, and the others were just a mess. ** Meaningless bollocks. Your only area of expertise. .... Phil
tabb...@gmail.com wrote:

> > It's certainly way off. Domestic valve gear typically runs a couple of > decades before needing a new valve. >
** More meaningless bollocks. Valves have a useful life of only a few thousand hours - less if abused. .... Phil
On Thursday, 16 March 2017 00:42:02 UTC, Phil Allison  wrote:
> [...]
Page 20 of a 12 page pdf? Page 2&3 quote 0.05-1.5% distortion, which may well be true for some of the scale. But twiddle the knobs and it went off the chart.
> You are so full of shit. > > > It had 3 outputs, sine square & triangle. At some frequencies one output looked more like one of the others should, and the others were just a mess. > > > ** Meaningless bollocks. > > Your only area of expertise.
Baseless abuse is your area of expertise. You don't even know the facts. NT
On Thursday, 16 March 2017 00:46:26 UTC, Phil Allison  wrote:
> tabby wrote: > > > > > > > It's certainly way off. Domestic valve gear typically runs a couple of > > decades before needing a new valve. > > > > ** More meaningless bollocks. > > Valves have a useful life of only a few thousand hours - less if abused.
horse crap. I've run them way longer. Those lifetimes applied to early bright emitter valves - they've come a whole long way since then. NT
tabb...@gmail.com wrote:

> [...]
** Should be "see figure 20".
> > You are so full of shit. > > > > > > It had 3 outputs, sine square & triangle. At some frequencies one output looked more like one of the others should, and the others were just a mess. > > > > > > ** Meaningless bollocks. > > > > Your only area of expertise. > > Baseless abuse
** Thoroughly fact based, fair comment. You are a prize bullshit artist and nasty piece of work to boot. .... Phil
tabb...@gmail.com wrote:

> [...]
** Meaningless crap. You are using fake facts. The only kind you ever have. .... Phil
On Thursday, 16 March 2017 02:23:48 UTC, Phil Allison  wrote:
> tabby wrote: > > > > > > > > > > ** See page 20 of the pdf. > > > > Page 20 of a 12 page pdf? > > > ** Should be "see figure 20".
Mfr admits to 11% distortion. We got way worse.
> > > You are so full of shit. > > > > > > > > > It had 3 outputs, sine square & triangle. At some frequencies one output looked more like one of the others should, and the others were just a mess. > > > > > > > > > ** Meaningless bollocks. > > > > > > Your only area of expertise. > > > > Baseless abuse > > > ** Thoroughly fact based, fair comment. > > You are a prize bullshit artist
A sensible person would ask why might it have produced so much distortion. A sensible person might ask if I'm likely to get the time to find it, repair it & demonstrate its problem.
> and nasty piece of work to boot.
Oh. I suspect quite a lot of people think that one more fits you. It doesn't fit me. You think it does, but know not a lot about my life. If you have electronics knowledge to contribute, great. But when it comes to stupid & abusive comments, why bother. NT
tabb...@gmail.com wrote:

> [...]
** Blatant lie. You really are a piece of shit.
** Nope. Asking why before you have the facts straight is pure fuckwittery. Your one and only talent. Piss off, arsehole. .... Phil
On Thursday, 16 March 2017 02:26:46 UTC, Phil Allison  wrote:
> tabby wrote: > > > > > > > > > > > > It's certainly way off. Domestic valve gear typically runs a couple of > > > > decades before needing a new valve. > > > > > > > > > > ** More meaningless bollocks. > > > > > > Valves have a useful life of only a few thousand hours - less if abused. > > > > horse crap. I've run them way longer. > > > > > > ** Meaningless crap.
No, it has a definite meaning. I've run valve kit for years without valve failure.
Well here's the first random search result http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38181&page=2 ... it doesn't agree with you either. Then you could apply a basic common sense sanity check. Filament lamps run around 1000hrs, which is what bright emitters were. They were run at lower temperature to prolong life, so you'd expect a few thousand hours or thereabout. Dull valve emitters managed 1 or 2 orders of magnitude more than bright. Fluoresent tube emitters managed 10k hours decades ago. TV tubes ran fine for a decade or so left on all day every day. But hey, maybe there's a large number of us that share the delusion of running valve gear on a heavy use basis for many years and having very few failures. Or... just maybe... your knowledge isn't quite as thorough as you think. Come back with some real facts. And if we're really lucky, a sensible attitude. NT