Audio Generator or Function Generator? Which to get?

Started by Unknown March 13, 2017
On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 19:43:52 -0400, rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 3/13/2017 2:59 PM, Jasen Betts wrote: >> On 2017-03-13, dcaster@krl.org <dcaster@krl.org> wrote: >>> On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 4:28:39 AM UTC-4, olds...@tubes.com wrote: >>>> I've been looking into buying an Audio Generator (Sine and Square Wave). >>> >>> In addition to looking at Ebay , look at AliExpress. Sometimes identical items are much less expensive at Ally or Ebay. Try including diy to find kits. >> >> Also search "suite", which seems to be a common miss-traslaion of "kitset" >> >>> Solid state equipment is a lot more reliable than vacuum tube equipment. So you are better off buying something new. Getting a replacement vacuum tube may be nearly impossible. >> >> Electrically, tubes are harder to bust... > >No they aren't. Just leave one on for a few weeks and the filament >will go out, if it hasn't busted your wallet on the electric bill.
Weeks? MTBF of 336 hours? You can't aford a tube's filament current? GMAFB I guess you never turn on a light bulb, either. Heaven forbid that you would make diner!
On 3/14/2017 8:23 PM, whit3rd wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 11:31:50 AM UTC-7, rickman wrote: >> On 3/13/2017 4:26 AM, oldschool@tubes.com wrote: >>> I've been looking into buying an Audio Generator (Sine and Square Wave). >>> I mainly want this to run thru an amplifier to listen to... > >> I haven't read all of the posts in this thread, but I see a lot of >> confusion of the terms "function generator" and "audio generator". >> Audio simply refers to the frequency range of the signal generated >> without saying anything about the manner in which it is generated. But >> most signal generators output a sine wave and perhaps a square and >> triangle wave. > > That's incorrect; most inexpensive signal generators output a square and > triangle (hey, it only takes two op amps); adding a sinewave is complicated. > To do a GOOD sinewave, the old HP20x units had matched pairs of adjustable > capacitors, which are VERY pricey items. > > So, the iCL8038 and XR2206 and some other IC generators (which dominate > the market at the low-cost end) distort and/or filter the triangle wave to make > a "sinewave". The sinewave outputs are dreadfull.
So they *do* produce a sine wave?
> For audio test purposes, a CD with test tracks is a pretty good sinewave source. Digital > sythesizers are good, too. Neither is convenient for a test bench, though.
I'm not clear on what you consider inconvenient, but you don't need much space to create a decent sine wave. I produce a board with a stereo CODEC and during test it produces a sine wave that I can't visually detect and defects in at any resolution. If I removed the application specific items and gave it a useful PC interface it could sell for maybe $50. It would have perhaps $20 worth of parts and could fit in an Altoids tin easily. I believe there are similar products on eBay which sell for less. -- Rick C
Prickman wrote:
> > > I haven't read all of the posts in this thread, but I see a lot of > confusion of the terms "function generator" and "audio generator". >
** There is no such confusion here.
> Audio simply refers to the frequency range of the signal generated > without saying anything about the manner in which it is generated.
** But an "audio generator" has a particular meaning NOT the same as "function generator". FYI, terms mean what people men when they use them. ..... Phil
On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 5:52:48 PM UTC-7, rickman wrote:
> On 3/14/2017 8:23 PM, whit3rd wrote: > > On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 11:31:50 AM UTC-7, rickman wrote:
> > So, the iCL8038 and XR2206 and some other IC generators (which dominate > > the market at the low-cost end) distort and/or filter the triangle wave to make > > a "sinewave". The sinewave outputs are dreadfull. > > So they *do* produce a sine wave?
Not a sinewave suitable for a set of test results that can be easily analyzed. The "sinewaves" have all the harmonics of a triangle wave, but at lower amplitude, and this is accomplished with hand-tweak adjustments. If/as you want to test an amplifier for distortion, that 'sinewave' is not pure enough to use.
> > For audio test purposes, a CD with test tracks is a pretty good sinewave source. Digital > > sythesizers are good, too. Neither is convenient for a test bench, though.
> I'm not clear on what you consider inconvenient, but you don't need much > space to create a decent sine wave.
What is inconvenient, is that one cannot dial the frequency with an analog knob, while listening for room resonances or speaker-crossover blips. A DDS solution will have to be programmed to do a sweep, and reprogrammed if you want to check that one part of the range that sounded odd... or at least, that was how the old Agilent DDS worked.
On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 8:51:22 PM UTC-4, k...@notreal.com wrote:

> Weeks? MTBF of 336 hours? You can't aford a tube's filament current? > GMAFB I guess you never turn on a light bulb, either. Heaven forbid > that you would make diner!
When I was in the Navy I had a mk 37 gun fire control system to maintain. The radar used a fair number of vacuum tubes. When the 5 inch 38 guns were fired the radar would go down after about two salvos because some tube had failed. So the system had a MTBF of about 5 minutes or less. Dan
On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 18:34:53 -0700 (PDT), "dcaster@krl.org"

>On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 8:51:22 PM UTC-4, k...@notreal.com wrote: > >> >>> Solid state equipment is a lot more reliable than vacuum tube equipment. So you are better off buying something new. Getting a replacement vacuum tube may be nearly impossible. >> >> >> >> Electrically, tubes are harder to bust... >> > > >> Weeks? MTBF of 336 hours? You can't aford a tube's filament current? >> GMAFB I guess you never turn on a light bulb, either. Heaven forbid >> that you would make diner! > >When I was in the Navy I had a mk 37 gun fire control system to maintain. The radar used a fair number of vacuum tubes. When the 5 inch 38 guns were fired the radar would go down after about two salvos because some tube had failed. So the system had a MTBF of about 5 minutes or less.
You're not supposed to aim the guns at the fire control computer!
On 2017-03-15, rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/14/2017 8:23 PM, whit3rd wrote: >> On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 11:31:50 AM UTC-7, rickman wrote: >>> On 3/13/2017 4:26 AM, oldschool@tubes.com wrote: >>>> I've been looking into buying an Audio Generator (Sine and Square Wave). >>>> I mainly want this to run thru an amplifier to listen to... >> >>> I haven't read all of the posts in this thread, but I see a lot of >>> confusion of the terms "function generator" and "audio generator". >>> Audio simply refers to the frequency range of the signal generated >>> without saying anything about the manner in which it is generated. But >>> most signal generators output a sine wave and perhaps a square and >>> triangle wave. >> >> That's incorrect; most inexpensive signal generators output a square and >> triangle (hey, it only takes two op amps); adding a sinewave is complicated. >> To do a GOOD sinewave, the old HP20x units had matched pairs of adjustable >> capacitors, which are VERY pricey items. >> >> So, the iCL8038 and XR2206 and some other IC generators (which dominate >> the market at the low-cost end) distort and/or filter the triangle wave to make >> a "sinewave". The sinewave outputs are dreadfull. > > So they *do* produce a sine wave?
curved: yes a sin(2 pi f t + phi ): no.
>> For audio test purposes, a CD with test tracks is a pretty good sinewave source. Digital >> sythesizers are good, too. Neither is convenient for a test bench, though. > > I'm not clear on what you consider inconvenient, but you don't need much > space to create a decent sine wave. I produce a board with a stereo > CODEC and during test it produces a sine wave that I can't visually > detect and defects in at any resolution. If I removed the application > specific items and gave it a useful PC interface it could sell for maybe > $50. It would have perhaps $20 worth of parts and could fit in an > Altoids tin easily. I believe there are similar products on eBay which > sell for less.
there's probably a free signal generator app that will run on that $10 cellphone mentioned in the scope camera thread. -- This email has not been checked by half-arsed antivirus software
You mean like this? http://www.etc.sk/index.php/en/products/auxiliary-equipment/control-panels/item/136-control-panel-for-usb-oscilloscopes.html -- Rick C
On 14/03/2017 13:58, tabbypurr@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 09:22:05 UTC, Martin Brown wrote: > >> There used to be old school analogue function generator chips that >> made a triangle wave and then applied diode shaping to get a >> pseudo-sine wave. HP made one design implementation that was >> surprisingly good. Intersils 8038 was the poor mans alternative for >> DIY. >> >> http://www.intersil.com/content/dam/intersil/documents/icl8/icl8038.pdf > >> > I built one of those decades ago. What a car crash. The wave forms > were hopeless. I don't remember the details to know why, I presume > the problem was the 8038 though.
It was never anything like as good as a Wein bridge sine wave but it was good for about 0.5% THD if you trimmed it properly. I suspect manufacturing tolerances made it inconsistent batch to batch. Cute chip in its day, but that was a long time ago. -- Regards, Martin Brown
Under 1% distortion when tweaked. I don't think our op would notice. Mikek --- This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. https://www.avast.com/antivirus