Oscilloscopes

Started by Unknown August 14, 2014
Hi I have just started in electronics and have started to think about getti=
ng an oscilloscope. I don't have enough money for the $400 digital oscillos=
copes. My family does not have a lot of money and the ones on ebay are stil=
l too much expensive. I'm just wondering if anyone has an old analog oscill=
oscope that I could have. Thanks :)
On Thursday, August 14, 2014 11:49:38 PM UTC+1, trevor...@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi I have just started in electronics and have started to think about get=
ting an oscilloscope. I don't have enough money for the $400 digital oscill= oscopes. My family does not have a lot of money and the ones on ebay are st= ill too much expensive. I'm just wondering if anyone has an old analog osci= lloscope that I could have. Thanks :) Ebay does. Until then there's free soundcard scope software. You can also u= se a dead CRT tv as a crude scope, but beware of overheating the crt neck b= y overscanning. NT
On 8/14/2014 3:49 PM, trevordally23@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi I have just started in electronics and have started to think about > getting an oscilloscope. I don't have enough money for the $400 > digital oscilloscopes. My family does not have a lot of money and the > ones on ebay are still too much expensive. I'm just wondering if > anyone has an old analog oscilloscope that I could have. Thanks :)
You should first get an idea of what you intend to *do* with the 'scope! E.g., troubleshooting digital kit places different requirements than analog kit. Similarly, low voltage, high voltage, etc. And, the speeds (bandwidths) of the signals of interest -- as well as their temporal natures (e.g., "one shot" events are examined differently than repetitive events). Buy what you think you will *need*, not just a "checkoff item".
>Hi I have just started in electronics and have started to think about >getting an oscilloscope. I don't have enough money for the $400 digital >oscilloscopes. My family does not have a lot of money and the ones on >ebay are still too much expensive. I'm just wondering if anyone has an >old analog oscilloscope that I could have. Thanks :)
Since you don't say where you are, the issue of shipping cost comes up. At local hamfests and electronics flea-markets around here, old analog scopes in the 10-to-15 MHz range can often be had almost "for the asking"... I've seen 'em for $20 or so (sometimes with only one working channel, sometimes just fine). One of my friends was actually given one for nothing by a neighbor who was getting ready for a garage sale. I cleaned it up and we've loaned it to one of my former office-mates as a learning and teaching tool for his kid. For almost any of these older analog 'scopes, the cost of packing and shipping it to you (from anywhere) would probably exceed the value of the scope.
I live in the U.S. State Minnesota. Hope it helps.
In article <9ftvbb-r4n.ln1@coop.radagast.org>,
 dplatt@coop.radagast.org (David Platt) wrote:

> At local hamfests and electronics flea-markets around here, old analog > scopes in the 10-to-15 MHz range can often be had almost "for the > asking"... I've seen 'em for $20 or so (sometimes with only one > working channel, sometimes just fine).
After the Hamfest, many items that did not sell end up in a dumpster behind the building. Fred
On a sunny day (Thu, 14 Aug 2014 15:59:29 -0700 (PDT)) it happened
meow2222@care2.com wrote in

It probably will burn in in a second if you do not turn brighness way down. Maximum f on the V coils even with a good amp would be maybe a kHz, or wind your own coils. better build this: http://panteltje.com/panteltje/pic/scope_pic/ I am not selling my 10 MHz analog scope for anything below 5000 Euro :-) Nothing can replace that. if he can get his hands on an old scope CRT he is already half way there, I build several that way DG7-32 based and Russian CRT based. http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aar0022.htm http://www.ebay.com/itm/310682876427 48$ 43 cents ex shipping
On Friday, August 15, 2014 7:56:06 AM UTC+1, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Thu, 14 Aug 2014 15:59:29 -0700 (PDT)) it happened > meow2222@care2.com wrote in > <4b3243d3-4483-4087-ae8f-58e271f1c731@googlegroups.com>: > >On Thursday, August 14, 2014 11:49:38 PM UTC+1, trevor...@gmail.com wrote: > > > >> Hi I have just started in electronics and have started to think about get= > >ting an oscilloscope. I don't have enough money for the $400 digital oscill= > >oscopes. My family does not have a lot of money and the ones on ebay are st= > >ill too much expensive. I'm just wondering if anyone has an old analog osci= > >lloscope that I could have. Thanks :) > > > >Ebay does. Until then there's free soundcard scope software. You can also u= > >se a dead CRT tv as a crude scope, but beware of overheating the crt neck b= > >y overscanning.
> It probably will burn in in a second if you do not turn brighness way down. > Maximum f on the V coils even with a good amp would be maybe a kHz, > or wind your own coils. > better build this: > http://panteltje.com/panteltje/pic/scope_pic/ > I am not selling my 10 MHz analog scope for anything below 5000 Euro :-) > Nothing can replace that. > if he can get his hands on an old scope CRT he is already half way there, > I build several that way DG7-32 based and Russian CRT based. > http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aar0022.htm > http://www.ebay.com/itm/310682876427 > 48$ 43 cents ex shipping
Normal TV mode operation of the horizontal scan is about 15kHz plus lots of higher harmonics. You get 2 timebase frequencies depending which coil you connect to. Overscan can kill these things with a bang. Moving the scan coils forwards reduces the potential for it. NT
trevordally23@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi I have just started in electronics and have started to think about > getting an oscilloscope. I don't have enough money for the $400 digital > oscilloscopes. My family does not have a lot of money and the ones on ebay > are still too much expensive. I'm just wondering if anyone has an old > analog oscilloscope that I could have. Thanks :)
If you had asked a year ago and paid the shipping I could have helped myself. Do some research on your local Amateur Radio Groups and asked around that crowd. They often organise Radio Rallies and Hamfests where such items are oftn bought and sold. Another place might be if you have a reasonably local computer club who hold similar events. Regards Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET Systems Engineer -- ******************************************************************** Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....<email://Paul_E.Bennett@topmail.co.uk> Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............<http://www.hidecs.co.uk> Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972 Tel: +44 (0)1235-510979 Going Forth Safely ..... EBA. www.electric-boat-association.org.uk.. ********************************************************************
It might be worth going to a few hamfests, don't know your city, here is a list of hamfests in Minnesota. You can modify the search if you are close to ND, SD, Wi, etc. http://www.arrl.org/hamfests/search I have 60 MHz Hitachi V650F I want to sell, It is a great scope and I'm selling it with probes. It has delayed sweep, It all works good. Price $130 plus shipping, but the shipping from Fl to MN could be $40 to $60 I haven't checked. If you check ebay there is one for $80 plus $25 shipping. No probes or power cord, not tested, but as they say, "pulled from a working environment" Mikek --- This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active. http://www.avast.com