Toob Amplified PC Speakers

Started by Tim Wescott December 2, 2013
If you want a respectable, easy to build, low power tube amp kit, look
at the Velleman kits.  They are well-designed and have good output
transformers.

For the most part, when you buy a tube amp, you are buying transformers
and engineering.  Everything else is of comparatively minimal cost and
effect.
--scott

--
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr. wrote:
> In article<CX6nu.285389$ER3.31714@fx28.iad>, robertbaer@localnet.com > says... >> >> Jim Thompson wrote: >>> On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 12:58:56 -0600, Tim Wescott >>> <tim@seemywebsite.really> wrote: >>> >>>> It's winter, and the amplifier in my PC speakers just died. >>>> >>>> I think it'd be kinda cool to have a toob speaker amp, but I'm too lazy >>>> (and time-challenged) to build one up from scratch. >>>> >>>> Are there, by any chance, kits out there? I'm not looking for nickel- >>>> cored transformers with solid silver windings, genuine paper caps rolled >>>> on the thighs of virgins, toobs dipped in LN2, and all that crap: I'm >>>> just looking for something that'll give the audio quality of a mid-range >>>> amplified speaker set, in a cabinet that shows off the fact that it all >>>> uses ancient technology to get the job done. >>>> >>>> Suggestions welcome. >>>> >>>> TIA >>> >>> Just for fun, you might do a single stage class-A stage using a 2A3. I >>> did one when I was a kid, but with 5 in parallel ;-) >>> >>> ...Jim Thompson >> Better yet, a push-pull transformerless design! > > I remember a quasie tube output, that was bad car ma. > > It required a safety circuit on the output, not for users but for > equipment. The outfit could care less about the user safety! :) > > This was a magnetic server that required a broad range of bw. > the tube outputs were a pair of 4-400Z. Had dual HV supply because you > needed the - rail for the bottom side. each heater had their own > transformer with CT to tie off to the common for pinch off biasing. > > The top side had some strange method of driving the tube, but it worked > > Jamie > >
I may still have circuits and/or designs of transformerless tube speaker drivers that were purported to be perfectly safe to touch active lines (do not ask which lines, do not remember). And yes, the circuitry is weird on the push-pull drivers; there was even a full bridge version.
On 02/12/2013 22:57, Michael Black wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2013, Tim Wescott wrote: > >> It's winter, and the amplifier in my PC speakers just died. >> >> I think it'd be kinda cool to have a toob speaker amp, but I'm too lazy >> (and time-challenged) to build one up from scratch. >> >> Are there, by any chance, kits out there? I'm not looking for nickel- >> cored transformers with solid silver windings, genuine paper caps rolled >> on the thighs of virgins, toobs dipped in LN2, and all that crap: I'm >> just looking for something that'll give the audio quality of a mid-range >> amplified speaker set, in a cabinet that shows off the fact that it all >> uses ancient technology to get the job done. >> >> Suggestions welcome.
How about using a modern semiconductor IC hidden inside the box and just having a couple of ornamental toobs stuck out the top and glowing. A USB port should just about power two filaments.
>> > How I hate the cross-posting.
BTW is "boat anchor" the US term for tube based or old dead kit? -- Regards, Martin Brown
"Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> How about using a modern semiconductor IC hidden inside the box and just > having a couple of ornamental toobs stuck out the top and glowing. A USB > port should just about power two filaments.
Heresy!! ...On a related note, large crates of 6AL5s have been known to turn up on eBay, advertised for Xmas lights and other assorted uses.
> BTW is "boat anchor" the US term for tube based or old dead kit?
Big heavy kit anyway. It's not really dead if it still works..? Toob stuff is generally iron-rich, so it fits well, although some early solid state Tek/HP/radio equipment also fits the bill nicely. Tim -- Seven Transistor Labs Electrical Engineering Consultation Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
So I guess it really comes down to... what do you want?

Can you follow a schematic?  (I should hope so... :-p )  Is that good
enough for you?  Do you have the tools to cut/punch holes in sheetmetal to
mount sockets, or would you prefer a PCB mounted stuff-it-and-go solution?
Would you prefer plans and drawings, or can you handle that
seat-of-your-pants style?

If you can afford a kit (and don't want the hassle of fully making
something yourself), then that's the way to go.

If you can't afford a kit, but don't have the tools to build a chassis and
stuff, you're rather limited, but not screwed.  For instance, PCB mount
sockets could be dead-bugged on copper clad, just as well as ICs can be.

If cost is a big factor, you're probably better off with transistors.  You
can get the BOM cost in the $100 range for a basic stereo SE (~3W) amp,
but not much less, big costs being the two OPTs and one power transformer.
(Edcor and Hammond are the big names in retro audio transformers these
days.)  If you don't want the hassle of ordering parts and working from a
schematic, yeah, you're better off with a kit, which includes NRE and
retail markup, and as mentioned earlier, runs you over $200 or so.  That
price range is basically your pay-to-play range with tubes, unless you've
inherited a bounty.

(Oh, and if you want more power on a budget, I have prototype designs for
class D tube amplifiers. ;-) )

Tim

--

> On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 15:54:52 -0500, bitrex wrote: > >> On 12/2/2013 1:58 PM, Tim Wescott wrote: >>> It's winter, and the amplifier in my PC speakers just died. >>> >>> I think it'd be kinda cool to have a toob speaker amp, but I'm too lazy >>> (and time-challenged) to build one up from scratch. >>> >>> Are there, by any chance, kits out there? I'm not looking for nickel- >>> cored transformers with solid silver windings, genuine paper caps >>> rolled on the thighs of virgins, toobs dipped in LN2, and all that >>> crap: I'm just looking for something that'll give the audio quality of >>> a mid-range amplified speaker set, in a cabinet that shows off the fact >>> that it all uses ancient technology to get the job done. >>> >>> Suggestions welcome. >>> >>> TIA >>> >>> >> This kit has been around forever and seems to get good reviews: >> >> http://store.tubedepot.com/diy-k12g.html? > vfsku=diy.k12g.2&gpla=pla&gclid=CJL-56C1krsCFWLNOgoduWkAIA >> >> There's also this little kit from a Chinese seller on Ebay: >> >> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hifi-stereo-6N2-6P14-tube-headphone-amplifier- > diy-kit-/230910167825?_trksid=p2054897.l4275 >> >> which has the output transformers on board - you'd need to supply a >> power transformer. >> >> You'd have to put them in a chassis if you wanted it, but since they're >> both mounted on PCBs it shouldn't be too hard: buy an aluminum chassis >> and punch holes for the tubes, mount the board underneath so the tubes >> poke through and then mount the transformers underneath or on top as >> your preference. > > Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for, except that now that I > know what a fair price is, I may just buy new speakers :(. > > -- > > Tim Wescott > Wescott Design Services > http://www.wescottdesign.com >
You've found out what the old timers knew way back. There's a heap of ancillary stuff required to get a valve to do anything useful. In the 60s I picked up a 4-250A power tube, and couldn't wait to fire it up as a transmitter final. It never got there, the list of other items would have wiped me out.
On Monday, December 2, 2013 1:58:56 PM UTC-5, Tim Wescott wrote:
> It's winter, and the amplifier in my PC speakers just died. > > I think it'd be kinda cool to have a toob speaker amp, but I'm too lazy > (and time-challenged) to build one up from scratch. > > Are there, by any chance, kits out there? I'm not looking for nickel- > cored transformers with solid silver windings, genuine paper caps rolled > > on the thighs of virgins, toobs dipped in LN2, and all that crap: I'm > > just looking for something that'll give the audio quality of a mid-range > amplified speaker set, in a cabinet that shows off the fact that it all > uses ancient technology to get the job done. > > Suggestions welcome.
A buddy has an old stereo console from the ~60's that we got working. Maybe fix up something old? And then you've gotta put on Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass. George H.
On Tue, 3 Dec 2013 06:40:03 -0800 (PST), George Herold
<gherold@teachspin.com> wrote:

>On Monday, December 2, 2013 1:58:56 PM UTC-5, Tim Wescott wrote: >> It's winter, and the amplifier in my PC speakers just died. >> >> I think it'd be kinda cool to have a toob speaker amp, but I'm too lazy >> (and time-challenged) to build one up from scratch. >> >> Are there, by any chance, kits out there? I'm not looking for nickel- >> cored transformers with solid silver windings, genuine paper caps rolled >> >> on the thighs of virgins, toobs dipped in LN2, and all that crap: I'm >> >> just looking for something that'll give the audio quality of a mid-range >> amplified speaker set, in a cabinet that shows off the fact that it all >> uses ancient technology to get the job done. >> >> Suggestions welcome. > >A buddy has an old stereo console from the ~60's that we got working. >Maybe fix up something old? >And then you've gotta put on Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass. > >George H. >>
You're showing my age ;-) ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
On 12/3/2013 3:10 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 02/12/2013 22:57, Michael Black wrote: >> On Mon, 2 Dec 2013, Tim Wescott wrote: >> >>> It's winter, and the amplifier in my PC speakers just died. >>> >>> I think it'd be kinda cool to have a toob speaker amp, but I'm too lazy >>> (and time-challenged) to build one up from scratch. >>> >>> Are there, by any chance, kits out there? I'm not looking for nickel- >>> cored transformers with solid silver windings, genuine paper caps rolled >>> on the thighs of virgins, toobs dipped in LN2, and all that crap: I'm >>> just looking for something that'll give the audio quality of a mid-range >>> amplified speaker set, in a cabinet that shows off the fact that it all >>> uses ancient technology to get the job done. >>> >>> Suggestions welcome. > > How about using a modern semiconductor IC hidden inside the box and just > having a couple of ornamental toobs stuck out the top and glowing. A USB > port should just about power two filaments. > >>> >> How I hate the cross-posting. > > BTW is "boat anchor" the US term for tube based or old dead kit? >
"Boat anchor" includes good stuff too, e.g. most of the instruments in my lab. ;) Just about anything over 20 pounds and 15 years old qualifies, especially if it fits in a 19-inch rack. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net
On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 12:10:22 -0500, Phil Hobbs

>On 12/3/2013 3:10 AM, Martin Brown wrote: >> On 02/12/2013 22:57, Michael Black wrote: >>> On Mon, 2 Dec 2013, Tim Wescott wrote: >>> >>>> It's winter, and the amplifier in my PC speakers just died. >>>> >>>> I think it'd be kinda cool to have a toob speaker amp, but I'm too lazy >>>> (and time-challenged) to build one up from scratch. >>>> >>>> Are there, by any chance, kits out there? I'm not looking for nickel- >>>> cored transformers with solid silver windings, genuine paper caps rolled >>>> on the thighs of virgins, toobs dipped in LN2, and all that crap: I'm >>>> just looking for something that'll give the audio quality of a mid-range >>>> amplified speaker set, in a cabinet that shows off the fact that it all >>>> uses ancient technology to get the job done. >>>> >>>> Suggestions welcome. >> >> How about using a modern semiconductor IC hidden inside the box and just >> having a couple of ornamental toobs stuck out the top and glowing. A USB >> port should just about power two filaments. >> >>>> >>> How I hate the cross-posting. >> >> BTW is "boat anchor" the US term for tube based or old dead kit? >> >"Boat anchor" includes good stuff too, e.g. most of the instruments in >my lab. ;) Just about anything over 20 pounds and 15 years old >qualifies, especially if it fits in a 19-inch rack. > >Cheers > >Phil Hobbs
Old 8" hard-drives make good door stops ;-) ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.