Spice Model Problems?

Started by Jim Thompson August 7, 2012
I'm honing my Spice modeling skills and need some suggestions of
devices whose manufacturer-provided Spice model doesn't match reality
very well, or has serious issues.

I'll try my hand at modeling the device and post my results on these
newsgroups and on the LTspice list.  It would be helpful if, when you
make a suggestion, you state where and how it fails to match up with
claimed data sheet performance.

[No real nasty systems-on-a-chip... I want to save those for paying
customers... and, for now, keep it limited to Analog parts :-]

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--

On 8/7/2012 3:27 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
> I'm honing my Spice modeling skills and need some suggestions of > devices whose manufacturer-provided Spice model doesn't match reality > very well, or has serious issues. > > I'll try my hand at modeling the device and post my results on these > newsgroups and on the LTspice list. It would be helpful if, when you > make a suggestion, you state where and how it fails to match up with > claimed data sheet performance. > > [No real nasty systems-on-a-chip... I want to save those for paying > customers... and, for now, keep it limited to Analog parts :-] > > ...Jim Thompson >
4046? (Does a Spice model even exist?)
On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 15:42:52 -0400, bitrex
<bitrex@de.lete.earthlink.net> wrote:

>On 8/7/2012 3:27 PM, Jim Thompson wrote: >> I'm honing my Spice modeling skills and need some suggestions of >> devices whose manufacturer-provided Spice model doesn't match reality >> very well, or has serious issues. >> >> I'll try my hand at modeling the device and post my results on these >> newsgroups and on the LTspice list. It would be helpful if, when you >> make a suggestion, you state where and how it fails to match up with >> claimed data sheet performance. >> >> [No real nasty systems-on-a-chip... I want to save those for paying >> customers... and, for now, keep it limited to Analog parts :-] >> >> ...Jim Thompson >> > >4046? (Does a Spice model even exist?)
You mean the PLL/VCO? I thought someone had done a model for that, but I'm game. It's mostly digital but I'll at least take a peek. Those things are easy in PSpice, due to its digital primitives that are lacking in other Spice's. But I can make Analog logic ;-) ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson, CTO | mens | | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Jim Thompson wrote:
> > I'm honing my Spice modeling skills and need some suggestions of > devices whose manufacturer-provided Spice model doesn't match reality > very well, or has serious issues. > > I'll try my hand at modeling the device and post my results on these > newsgroups and on the LTspice list. It would be helpful if, when you > make a suggestion, you state where and how it fails to match up with > claimed data sheet performance. > > [No real nasty systems-on-a-chip... I want to save those for paying > customers... and, for now, keep it limited to Analog parts :-] > > ...Jim Thompson
How about the AD608 mixer IF chip? AFAIK none of those have decent Spice models. The SA614 sure doesn't. (That's one of my faves--I use it all over the place.) Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 845-480-2058 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net
TL431 (and TLV-) that exhibit actual compensation behavior.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

"Jim Thompson" <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote in
message news:ecq228dfmhj1ou6qgn7riqel64dd80iihu@4ax.com...
On Aug 7, 12:27=A0pm, Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-I...@On-My-
Web-Site.com> wrote:
> I'm honing my Spice modeling skills and need some suggestions of > devices whose manufacturer-provided Spice model doesn't match reality > very well, or has serious issues. > > I'll try my hand at modeling the device and post my results on these > newsgroups and on the LTspice list. =A0It would be helpful if, when you > make a suggestion, you state where and how it fails to match up with > claimed data sheet performance. > > [No real nasty systems-on-a-chip... I want to save those for paying > customers... and, for now, keep it limited to Analog parts :-] > > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson
> -- > | James E.Thompson, CTO =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |
> | Analog Innovations, Inc. =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|
> | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems =A0| =A0 =A0manus =A0 =
=A0|
> | Phoenix, Arizona =A085048 =A0 =A0Skype: Contacts Only =A0| =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 |
> | Voice:(480)460-2350 =A0Fax: Available upon request | =A0Brass Rat =A0| > | E-mail Icon athttp://www.analog-innovations.com| =A0 =A01962 =A0 =A0 | > > I love to cook with wine. =A0 =A0 Sometimes I even put it in the food.
EVERY MODEL !!!! They never give you accurate match to the noise characteristics! I'd like to be able to put the amp in the circuit, step it up or down to simulate the AC swing, and watch the noise. Pick a good low noise, linear. LT1115 with its 1nV/rtHz, or the popular TI amp with 3nV/rtHz, I only need enough gain match to make certain the noise at the output is caused by the way I used the OpAmp.
On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 18:24:17 -0400, Phil Hobbs

The AD8014 model is really, really bad. -- John Larkin Highland Technology Inc www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators
On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 12:27:45 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

> I'm honing my Spice modeling skills and need some suggestions of devices > whose manufacturer-provided Spice model doesn't match reality very well, > or has serious issues. > > I'll try my hand at modeling the device and post my results on these > newsgroups and on the LTspice list. It would be helpful if, when you make > a suggestion, you state where and how it fails to match up with claimed > data sheet performance. > > [No real nasty systems-on-a-chip... I want to save those for paying > customers... and, for now, keep it limited to Analog parts :-] >
ZTX415. The published subcircuit works, but bears little resemblance, either to app notes, or real life. I recall exchanging a subcircuit and some LTspice-derived plots with you. Did it run any more realistically in Pspice? -- "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)
On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 05:27:45 +1000, Jim Thompson

Some basic 741's really suck - they can deliver amps with no power supply draw (I didn't bother to check the rest) -- Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Transistors with avalanche characteristics. -- Failure does not prove something is impossible, failure simply indicates you are not using the right tools... nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.) --------------------------------------------------------------