Any low power low frequency quadrature receivers?

Started by Joerg May 3, 2012
While looking at a single sideband receiver project that may be coming
up I checked the usual suspects for quadrature demodulators. Many won't
(technically ...) go much below 100MHz. Some do and I need to be more in
the 5-10MHz region. But they are massive guzzlers when it comes to
draining the battery. Like this one which slurps a whole watt (!):

http://cds.linear.com/docs/Datasheet/5584f.pdf

Isn't there anything better out there that hasn't been discontinued? Or
do I have to roll my own again?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
On 4 Maj, 02:53, Joerg <inva...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> While looking at a single sideband receiver project that may be coming > up I checked the usual suspects for quadrature demodulators. Many won't > (technically ...) go much below 100MHz. Some do and I need to be more in > the 5-10MHz region. But they are massive guzzlers when it comes to > draining the battery. Like this one which slurps a whole watt (!): > > http://cds.linear.com/docs/Datasheet/5584f.pdf > > Isn't there anything better out there that hasn't been discontinued? Or > do I have to roll my own again? >
something like this?: http://www.analog.com/en/rfif-components/modulatorsdemodulators/ad8333/products/product.html -Lasse
Hell... these days, it's more like... ADC, Hilbert transform, lowpass
filter.  And it'd probably come out way less than a watt.  That's kind of
sad.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

On Thu, 03 May 2012 18:25:40 -0700, langwadt@fonz.dk wrote:

> On 4 Maj, 02:53, Joerg <inva...@invalid.invalid> wrote: >> While looking at a single sideband receiver project that may be coming >> up I checked the usual suspects for quadrature demodulators. Many won't >> (technically ...) go much below 100MHz. Some do and I need to be more >> in the 5-10MHz region. But they are massive guzzlers when it comes to >> draining the battery. Like this one which slurps a whole watt (!): >> >> http://cds.linear.com/docs/Datasheet/5584f.pdf >> >> Isn't there anything better out there that hasn't been discontinued? Or >> do I have to roll my own again? >> > something like this?: > http://www.analog.com/en/rfif-components/modulatorsdemodulators/ad8333/
products/product.html
> > -Lasse
190mW still isn't super low -- but it's an impressive part. -- My liberal friends think I'm a conservative kook. My conservative friends think I'm a liberal kook. Why am I not happy that they have found common ground? Tim Wescott, Communications, Control, Circuits & Software http://www.wescottdesign.com
On 5/3/2012 7:38 PM, Tim Williams wrote:
> Hell... these days, it's more like... ADC, Hilbert transform, lowpass > filter. And it'd probably come out way less than a watt. That's kind of > sad. > > Tim >
If you have access to the clock, actually 4x the clock, the demod can be quite simple. Split the sample stream in half, then with those two streams, alternately multiply by -1. Then you have I and Q channels.
On Thu, 03 May 2012 21:38:25 -0500, Tim Williams wrote:

> Hell... these days, it's more like... ADC, Hilbert transform, lowpass > filter. And it'd probably come out way less than a watt. That's kind > of sad.
Perhaps, but the following FPGA and/or high-performance DSP will probably suck down plenty-o-power (and space). It'd be interesting to check, though. -- Tim Wescott Control system and signal processing consulting www.wescottdesign.com
On May 3, 10:56=A0pm, miso <m...@sushi.com> wrote:
> On 5/3/2012 7:38 PM, Tim Williams wrote: > > > Hell... these days, it's more like... ADC, Hilbert transform, lowpass > > filter. And it'd probably come out way less than a watt. That's kind of > > sad. > > > Tim > > If you have access to the clock, actually 4x the clock, the demod can be > quite simple. Split the sample stream in half, then with those two > streams, alternately multiply by -1. Then you have I and Q channels.
or, Q and I? ...nevermind.
langwadt@fonz.dk wrote:
> On 4 Maj, 02:53, Joerg <inva...@invalid.invalid> wrote: >> While looking at a single sideband receiver project that may be coming >> up I checked the usual suspects for quadrature demodulators. Many won't >> (technically ...) go much below 100MHz. Some do and I need to be more in >> the 5-10MHz region. But they are massive guzzlers when it comes to >> draining the battery. Like this one which slurps a whole watt (!): >> >> http://cds.linear.com/docs/Datasheet/5584f.pdf >> >> Isn't there anything better out there that hasn't been discontinued? Or >> do I have to roll my own again? >> > something like this?: http://www.analog.com/en/rfif-components/modulatorsdemodulators/ad8333/products/product.html >
Yes, something like but just not at so much power consumption. This one is especially archaic. Needs a negative supply which nowadays hardly any device has (ok, I can make that) and then almost 200mW. They state it "per channel", probably so it looks better :-) -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Tim Williams wrote:
> Hell... these days, it's more like... ADC, Hilbert transform, lowpass > filter. And it'd probably come out way less than a watt. That's kind > of sad. >
That's going to consume lots of real estate and power. I have a spectrum analyzer that works in a similar way but still needs 2W (which, of course, is much less then the 200-300W of a big boat anchor). The PC digs all the signals back out but after a few minutes the fans come on and stay on ... -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/
I know, I've done it many times that way using discrete parts. Since the late 80's, pretty much. But that consumes lots of real estate and power. This time I don't have either. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/