How good is your scope? (problem with capturing offset signals)

Started by Klaus Kragelund September 26, 2011
Klaus Bahner <Klaus.Bahner@ieee.org> wrote in

> Klaus Kragelund wrote: > >> Hi >> >> So I wanted to check the VCE of a transistor in a small converter >> running at 100kHz, expected to see about 100mV above ground as the >> saturation voltage of the NPN, increasing linearely since magnetising >> current increasing. >> >> I saw nothing like that, debugging and found the scope (Tek DPO5000) >> somehow saturates with high voltage inputs. The signal is a square >> wave of 100kHz, 25V peak to peak, offset so low voltage is close to >> GND (measured by a 10:1 probe) >> >> See plot (green trace): >> >> www.electronicsdesign.dk/tmp/2.jpg >> >> Low value is about 400mV >> >> Ok, changed the scale div from 3V/div to 2V/div then this: >> >> www.electronicsdesign.dk/tmp/1.jpg >> >> Now low value is about 2.4V ! >> > > Interesting. Just a question of understanding (I'm not a user of Tek > scopes, hence apologies if I miss the obvious information): in the > screen shots there are different numbers of acquisitions displayed (86 > vs. 226). Is the scope set into averaging mode? And what is the coupling > you selected, AC or DC? > > Besides set I only can tell you that I never ran into this problem with > my LeCroy scope and I did that kind of overdrive measurements on an > almost daily basis. So, if this is problem is for real, then I dare > conclude that not all scopes are affected by it :-) > > Klaus >
there's no substitute for the old TEK 7000 series and the 7A13 or 7A22 differential plug-ins! -- Jim Yanik jyanik at localnet dot com
Joerg wrote:
>>Besides set I only can tell you that I never ran into this problem with >>my LeCroy scope and I did that kind of overdrive measurements on an >>almost daily basis. So, if this is problem is for real, then I dare >>conclude that not all scopes are affected by it :-) >> > > > Overdrive it past 10x and see. If it can do 100x without flinching then > they did the amp design about right. >
Well, I don't have access to this scope any longer (sigh), so I can't check it again - would love to, because before this thread I wasn't aware of this overdrive problem at all. And of course I wonder now, whether this is because the scope was free of those problem or whether I did a bad job on analyzing my results :-( However, a case I clearly remember was a 2kV pulser design, where the major design goal was fast and clean recovery to 0V after the pulse. An "offset" voltage in the 1V range was significant, hence I made tons of measurements with lots of overdrive (>100x). Didn't observe any strange things during these measurement with that scope (Waverunner 6050). Please, don't tell me now that this design was just a perceived success because overdrive issues acted in the right direction :-( Well, the pulser worked fine in its intended application, so I take that as an argument for that the scope didn't lie. :-) Cheers, Klaus
Klaus Bahner wrote:
> Joerg wrote: >>> Besides set I only can tell you that I never ran into this problem with >>> my LeCroy scope and I did that kind of overdrive measurements on an >>> almost daily basis. So, if this is problem is for real, then I dare >>> conclude that not all scopes are affected by it :-) >>> >> >> >> Overdrive it past 10x and see. If it can do 100x without flinching then >> they did the amp design about right. >> > Well, I don't have access to this scope any longer (sigh), so I can't > check it again - would love to, because before this thread I wasn't > aware of this overdrive problem at all. And of course I wonder now, > whether this is because the scope was free of those problem or whether I > did a bad job on analyzing my results :-( > > However, a case I clearly remember was a 2kV pulser design, where the > major design goal was fast and clean recovery to 0V after the pulse. An > "offset" voltage in the 1V range was significant, hence I made tons of > measurements with lots of overdrive (>100x). Didn't observe any strange > things during these measurement with that scope (Waverunner 6050). >
That would be nice if it had the performance of the good old analog scopes. What I personally do not like about many LeCroy scopes is the sluggish Windows interface.
> Please, don't tell me now that this design was just a perceived success > because overdrive issues acted in the right direction :-( > > Well, the pulser worked fine in its intended application, so I take that > as an argument for that the scope didn't lie. :-) >
Who knows, but the main thing is that your circuit works and that the firefighters did not have to come out there :-) Sometimes such situations can be remedied by using a separate amplifier in front of the scopes. An amp from the good old days when they still knew how to design them well. This is one of the reasons why I have an HP dual amp with 20dB each here. Small, so I can carry that to clients where it is likely that I have to do pulse measurements and they only have "modern" analyzers. Fits easily into my carry-on bag but the security folks sometimes want to know what it is. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/
On Sep 27, 10:13=A0am, Joerg <inva...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Klaus Kragelund wrote: > > On 27 Sep., 08:25, Jon Kirwan <j...@infinitefactors.org> wrote: > >> On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:28:18 -0700 (PDT), Klaus Kragelund > > >> <klausk...@hotmail.com> wrote: > >>> <snip> > >>> Seems I should throw out the 10k USD scope and bring my 1k USD Hameg > >>> to work for some real measurements.... > >> Somehow this reminds me of the old Sorcerer in Aladdin crying > >> out, "New lamps for old. =A0New lamps for old," trying to > >> recover that special, magic lamp. > > >> (Replace lamp with oscilloscope....) > > >> :) > > >> Jon > > > Hmm, just found an app note from Tektronix on this: > > >http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5989-0068EN.pdf > > Quote "There is a misconception that some oscilloscopes can tolerate > overdrive conditions, whereas others cannot." > > Tell Tektronix that this is not a misconception but it is true. Or > better yet, tell them to visit some nursing homes around Beaverton > during lunch time and ask anyone who was an engineer at Tektronix to > raise their hand. Then they should ask them how it's done right :-) > > I just tried it out. I have to send my Instek GDS-2204 (digital scope) > into 10x overdrive until it distorts. It shouldn't even distort there > but, oh well, this is a <$2k digital scope. And as expected, the Tek > 7704 has none of those problems at all, remains true all the way to > 5mV/div. This is why I was saying all along, Tektronix should operate a > nursing home for very old engineers and their wifes on their campus. > Kind of like the Japanese way, where older generations teach the younger. > > >http://www.kemt.fei.tuke.sk/predmety/KEMT434_RM/_materialy/Doplnkove%... > > > Overdrive seems to be the problem > > It shouldn't be. There are risetime limits, of course, but it should not > suddenly and drasticaly alter the waveform or lose the offset. If I had > designed ultrasound frontends that way they'd have fired me. Those are > expected to remain true even in a +40dB overdrive situation. > > > However it is typically specified as less than 20ns, i am seeing a lot > > more. But perhaps thats due to excessive overdrive. Funny enough the > > DPO5034 does not mention anything about that in the datasheet > > > I have been in contact with Tek, and they keep telling me to update > > the SW of the scope :-) > > That's the standard answer I guess. Like when you call your telco > because the broadband went out. "Sir, please re-install the software". > Yeah, right :-) > > -- > Regards, Joerg > > http://www.analogconsultants.com/- Hide quoted text - > > - Show quoted text -
Well my cheap TEK 1001B has a recovery time of 2-3 us. With anything more than 2 volts on the 200mV/div scale. It craps up the top of the pulse too! My pulser won't do much more than 10V peak so I can't check the 500mV/div scale beyond that. My Rigol DS1052 is even worse... again it craps out at 200mV/div... but it takes like 10 ms to recover! George H.
George Herold wrote:
> On Sep 27, 10:13 am, Joerg <inva...@invalid.invalid> wrote: >> Klaus Kragelund wrote: >>> On 27 Sep., 08:25, Jon Kirwan <j...@infinitefactors.org> wrote: >>>> On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:28:18 -0700 (PDT), Klaus Kragelund >>>> <klausk...@hotmail.com> wrote: >>>>> <snip> >>>>> Seems I should throw out the 10k USD scope and bring my 1k USD Hameg >>>>> to work for some real measurements.... >>>> Somehow this reminds me of the old Sorcerer in Aladdin crying >>>> out, "New lamps for old. New lamps for old," trying to >>>> recover that special, magic lamp. >>>> (Replace lamp with oscilloscope....) >>>> :) >>>> Jon >>> Hmm, just found an app note from Tektronix on this: >>> http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5989-0068EN.pdf >> Quote "There is a misconception that some oscilloscopes can tolerate >> overdrive conditions, whereas others cannot." >> >> Tell Tektronix that this is not a misconception but it is true. Or >> better yet, tell them to visit some nursing homes around Beaverton >> during lunch time and ask anyone who was an engineer at Tektronix to >> raise their hand. Then they should ask them how it's done right :-) >> >> I just tried it out. I have to send my Instek GDS-2204 (digital scope) >> into 10x overdrive until it distorts. It shouldn't even distort there >> but, oh well, this is a <$2k digital scope. And as expected, the Tek >> 7704 has none of those problems at all, remains true all the way to >> 5mV/div. This is why I was saying all along, Tektronix should operate a >> nursing home for very old engineers and their wifes on their campus. >> Kind of like the Japanese way, where older generations teach the younger. >> >>> http://www.kemt.fei.tuke.sk/predmety/KEMT434_RM/_materialy/Doplnkove%... >>> Overdrive seems to be the problem >> It shouldn't be. There are risetime limits, of course, but it should not >> suddenly and drasticaly alter the waveform or lose the offset. If I had >> designed ultrasound frontends that way they'd have fired me. Those are >> expected to remain true even in a +40dB overdrive situation. >> >>> However it is typically specified as less than 20ns, i am seeing a lot >>> more. But perhaps thats due to excessive overdrive. Funny enough the >>> DPO5034 does not mention anything about that in the datasheet >>> I have been in contact with Tek, and they keep telling me to update >>> the SW of the scope :-) >> That's the standard answer I guess. Like when you call your telco >> because the broadband went out. "Sir, please re-install the software". >> Yeah, right :-) >> >> -- >> Regards, Joerg >> >> http://www.analogconsultants.com/- Hide quoted text - >> >> - Show quoted text - > > Well my cheap TEK 1001B has a recovery time of 2-3 us. With anything > more than 2 volts on the 200mV/div scale. It craps up the top of the > pulse too! My pulser won't do much more than 10V peak so I can't > check the 500mV/div scale beyond that. > > My Rigol DS1052 is even worse... again it craps out at 200mV/div... > but it takes like 10 ms to recover! >
What on earth are they doing wrong? 10msec sounds like they screwed up majorly, with some supply rail going out of whack. 2-3usec might be the use of wrong clamping diodes. Someone should teach those engineers, and soon. Anyhow, I'd send those two scopes back for a full refund unless you are past the time limit for that. Then buy something better. My Instek scope does distort a bit if I go past 10x. It is fairly minor saturation which isn't nice but at least I cannot see any recovery time. It's instant. If I go beyond 100x the trigger "loses it". Of course, the trusty old Tex 7704 and its 7A26 insert sail through all that without flinching. I don't know whats so difficult about that. In ultrasound we build amplifiers that must listen to microvolts and they get hit with pulses of up to 200V. Takes some time but I didn't find such designs particularly difficult to do. It's not rocket science. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/
On 27 Sep., 15:05, Klaus Bahner <Klaus.Bah...@ieee.org> wrote:
> Klaus Kragelund wrote: > > Hi > > > So I wanted to check the VCE of a transistor in a small converter > > running at 100kHz, expected to see about 100mV above ground as the > > saturation voltage of the NPN, increasing linearely since magnetising > > current increasing. > > > I saw nothing like that, debugging and found the scope (Tek DPO5000) > > somehow saturates with high voltage inputs. The signal is a square > > wave of 100kHz, 25V peak to peak, offset so low voltage is close to > > GND (measured by a 10:1 probe) > > > See plot (green trace): > > >www.electronicsdesign.dk/tmp/2.jpg > > > Low value is about 400mV > > > Ok, changed the scale div from 3V/div to 2V/div then this: > > >www.electronicsdesign.dk/tmp/1.jpg > > > Now low value is about 2.4V ! > > Interesting. Just a question of understanding (I'm not a user of Tek > scopes, hence apologies if I miss the obvious information): in the > screen shots there are different numbers of acquisitions displayed (86 > vs. 226). Is the scope set into averaging mode? And what is the coupling > you selected, AC or DC? >
The number is number of aquisitions made, in essense the number of triggers (screen plots) since you last pressed "Run". I did not use averaging, but if I had, then you can see by that number how many data sets the current plot is made from.
> Besides set I only can tell you that I never ran into this problem with > my LeCroy scope and I did that kind of overdrive measurements on an > almost daily basis. So, if this is problem is for real, then I dare > conclude that not all scopes are affected by it :-) >
It could be interesting to try that with a Lecroy. I will try to see if we have one in the lab somewhere :-) Regards Klaus
On 27 Sep., 16:13, Joerg <inva...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Klaus Kragelund wrote: > > On 27 Sep., 08:25, Jon Kirwan <j...@infinitefactors.org> wrote: > >> On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:28:18 -0700 (PDT), Klaus Kragelund > > >> <klausk...@hotmail.com> wrote: > >>> <snip> > >>> Seems I should throw out the 10k USD scope and bring my 1k USD Hameg > >>> to work for some real measurements.... > >> Somehow this reminds me of the old Sorcerer in Aladdin crying > >> out, "New lamps for old. =A0New lamps for old," trying to > >> recover that special, magic lamp. > > >> (Replace lamp with oscilloscope....) > > >> :) > > >> Jon > > > Hmm, just found an app note from Tektronix on this: > > >http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5989-0068EN.pdf > > Quote "There is a misconception that some oscilloscopes can tolerate > overdrive conditions, whereas others cannot." > > Tell Tektronix that this is not a misconception but it is true. Or > better yet, tell them to visit some nursing homes around Beaverton > during lunch time and ask anyone who was an engineer at Tektronix to > raise their hand. Then they should ask them how it's done right :-) > > I just tried it out. I have to send my Instek GDS-2204 (digital scope) > into 10x overdrive until it distorts. It shouldn't even distort there > but, oh well, this is a <$2k digital scope. And as expected, the Tek > 7704 has none of those problems at all, remains true all the way to > 5mV/div. This is why I was saying all along, Tektronix should operate a > nursing home for very old engineers and their wifes on their campus. > Kind of like the Japanese way, where older generations teach the younger. > > >http://www.kemt.fei.tuke.sk/predmety/KEMT434_RM/_materialy/Doplnkove%... > > > Overdrive seems to be the problem > > It shouldn't be. There are risetime limits, of course, but it should not > suddenly and drasticaly alter the waveform or lose the offset. If I had > designed ultrasound frontends that way they'd have fired me. Those are > expected to remain true even in a +40dB overdrive situation. >
That why I didn't believe my measurements was correct when I first saw it, seems logical to me that I can do whatever with the gain setting without the scope representing the data incorrectly. At least such a scope with a lot of SW whould have waved a flag in front of my nose that I cannot trust current measurements due to saturation effects.
> > However it is typically specified as less than 20ns, i am seeing a lot > > more. But perhaps thats due to excessive overdrive. Funny enough the > > DPO5034 does not mention anything about that in the datasheet > > > I have been in contact with Tek, and they keep telling me to update > > the SW of the scope :-) > > That's the standard answer I guess. Like when you call your telco > because the broadband went out. "Sir, please re-install the software". > Yeah, right :-)
Today I asked them to find a analog guy from Tektronix, I won't spend any more time from guesswork by the first line of defence at Tek :-) Regards Klaus
On 27 Sep., 19:45, George Herold <gher...@teachspin.com> wrote:
> On Sep 27, 10:13=A0am, Joerg <inva...@invalid.invalid> wrote: > > > > > > > Klaus Kragelund wrote: > > > On 27 Sep., 08:25, Jon Kirwan <j...@infinitefactors.org> wrote: > > >> On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:28:18 -0700 (PDT), Klaus Kragelund > > > >> <klausk...@hotmail.com> wrote: > > >>> <snip> > > >>> Seems I should throw out the 10k USD scope and bring my 1k USD Hame=
> > suddenly and drasticaly alter the waveform or lose the offset. If I had > > designed ultrasound frontends that way they'd have fired me. Those are > > expected to remain true even in a +40dB overdrive situation. > > > > However it is typically specified as less than 20ns, i am seeing a lo=
> > > more. But perhaps thats due to excessive overdrive. Funny enough the > > > DPO5034 does not mention anything about that in the datasheet > > > > I have been in contact with Tek, and they keep telling me to update > > > the SW of the scope :-) > > > That's the standard answer I guess. Like when you call your telco > > because the broadband went out. "Sir, please re-install the software". > > Yeah, right :-) > > > -- > > Regards, Joerg > > >http://www.analogconsultants.com/-Hide quoted text - > > > - Show quoted text - > > Well my cheap TEK 1001B has a recovery time of 2-3 us. =A0With anything > more than 2 volts on the 200mV/div scale. =A0It craps up the top of the > pulse too! =A0My pulser won't do much more than 10V peak so I can't > check the 500mV/div scale beyond that. > > My Rigol DS1052 is even worse... again it craps out at 200mV/div... > but it takes like 10 ms to recover! >
I saw the same thing with the 12bit USB Picoscope, took forever to return to the correct level. Really crappy design. It has 12bit resolution however, so I could zoom in on the vertical axis and get resonable resolution for low signals Like Joerg says, this is not rocket science, but I guess it maybe a test the Scope engineers may omit intentioally to save a buck or perhaps they are not aware that some engineers/users would like good performance at such an stimuli. Regards Klaus
On 27 Sep., 02:15, Joerg <inva...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Klaus Kragelund wrote: > > Hi > > > So I wanted to check the VCE of a transistor in a small converter > > running at 100kHz, expected to see about 100mV above ground as the > > saturation voltage of the NPN, increasing linearely since magnetising > > current increasing. > > > I saw nothing like that, debugging and found the scope (Tek DPO5000) > > somehow saturates with high voltage inputs. The signal is a square > > wave of 100kHz, 25V peak to peak, offset so low voltage is close to > > GND (measured by a 10:1 probe) > > > See plot (green trace): > > >www.electronicsdesign.dk/tmp/2.jpg > > > Low value is about 400mV > > > Ok, changed the scale div from 3V/div to 2V/div then this: > > >www.electronicsdesign.dk/tmp/1.jpg > > I believe you set it from 3V/div to 600mV/div for channel 4. > > > Now low value is about 2.4V ! > > Can't follow that but I think it's 400mV. Which is weird, assuming you > haven't changed the offset (or the scope didn't do that because it > thought you might have wanted to ...). > > > > > > > I checked it was not my setup and all is fine. > > > So I then hooked up the HP33120A function generator, with a BNC > > directly to the scope, now the problem still exists, but just at > > another volt/div setting (probably since the probe P500 has internal > > scaling etc). The signal, square wave, 9Vpp, 4.5V offset, 100kHz) (a > > levelshifted 9Vpp signal above GND) > > > My suspicion is that the input stage of the scope is saturated since > > the top level of the signal is way out of bounds. If I reduce the > > frequency to 1kHz, then the signal starts to look good again, which > > tells me the input stage of the scope has settled and recovered from > > the overdrive. > > > Then for a sanity check I hooked up a Tek TDS3032B and it showed the > > correct signal all the way down to 20mV/Div setting > > > Then I took a Tek DPO4000 scope, and it had the same fault, allthough > > at a different volt/div setting > > That is rather surprising. > > > Tried with a TDS220 (low end scope), it has the fault beginning at > > below 2V/div > > I've never trusted those things. > > > Tried a PicoScope 3000 series, had the fault at below 2V/div > > > Tried a Agilent DSO 4000 series, had the fault at AFAIR 5V/div > > > Then dusted off my first scope, the Hameg 205-3, it worked all the way > > down to 100mV/div :-) > > Well, good old German quality :-) > > > To the question, do any of you guys know the front-ends of scopes and > > if so is my assumption that the input stage is saturated correct (so > > the amp takes time to recover)? > > > Seems I should throw out the 10k USD scope and bring my 1k USD Hameg > > to work for some real measurements.... > > In a nutshell, yes. Maybe not throw out the $10k scope though but I'd > send this info to Tektronix support. If they can't answer I'd ask the > sales rep who sold it to you to come out there. > > I can't count the times where I've had to ask clients "Do you have a > real scope?" and out came a big old Tektronix boat anchor where people > took a step back when I pulled the power switch handle ... bzzzt ... > TUNGGGG ... blueish green traces showed up and ... tada ... fuzz could > be seen that the DSO simply was unable to show. > > Here I have a Tektronix 7704, a Telequipment D66 and I also still have > my old Hameg that I had as a highschool student (but that doesn't get > used much anymore). I would not want to be without a real scope. They > don't make them like that anymore. So if your workplace does not have > something like a Tek 7000 series or a Tek 2465 I'd ask them to go on > Ebay and get one :-) > > --
Hey, its even cheap, goes for 200 USD at ebay, has a geek factor too If it breaks, you can just buy a new one :-) Regards Klaus
Klaus Kragelund wrote:
> On 27 Sep., 02:15, Joerg <inva...@invalid.invalid> wrote: >> Klaus Kragelund wrote: >>
[...]
>> Here I have a Tektronix 7704, a Telequipment D66 and I also still have >> my old Hameg that I had as a highschool student (but that doesn't get >> used much anymore). I would not want to be without a real scope. They >> don't make them like that anymore. So if your workplace does not have >> something like a Tek 7000 series or a Tek 2465 I'd ask them to go on >> Ebay and get one :-) >> >> -- > > Hey, its even cheap, goes for 200 USD at ebay, has a geek factor too > > If it breaks, you can just buy a new one :-) >
Keep in mind that any 7000 series scopes are back-breakingly heavy so the shipping charges will be high. The fact that it has a handle does not mean it is portable :-) The flat R-versions are probably less heavy but also much more expensive. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/