Forums

OT: Where To Dell Replacement Screen

Started by D from BC November 13, 2009
I've been clicking around and around.. I can't find out where to get a
24" Dell LCD monitor screen replacement.

Per chance anyone know where to go for Dell parts.

Or.. is this going to be one of those things where the replacement
part is as expensive as the whole monitor?

On Nov 13, 6:53 pm, D from BC <myrealaddr...@comic.com> wrote:
> I've been clicking around and around.. I can't find out where to get a > 24" Dell LCD monitor screen replacement. > > Per chance anyone know where to go for Dell parts. > > Or.. is this going to be one of those things where the replacement > part is as expensive as the whole monitor?
Yes. Factor in your time and annoyance, might as well buy two new ones.
On Nov 13, 3:53=A0pm, D from BC <myrealaddr...@comic.com> wrote:
> I've been clicking around and around.. I can't find out where to get a > 24" Dell LCD monitor screen replacement. > > Per chance anyone know where to go for Dell parts. > > Or.. is this going to be one of those things where the replacement > part is as expensive as the whole monitor?
I've used Moniserv for CRT repair, but they do LCD as well. http://www.moniserv.com/ I've been at their facility, well the old one in Hayward. For the most part, they only repair high end stuff. Anyway, the prices are on the website.
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 00:46:56 -0800 (PST), "miso@sushi.com"
<miso@sushi.com> wrote:

>On Nov 13, 3:53&#2013266080;pm, D from BC <myrealaddr...@comic.com> wrote: >> I've been clicking around and around.. I can't find out where to get a >> 24" Dell LCD monitor screen replacement. >> >> Per chance anyone know where to go for Dell parts. >> >> Or.. is this going to be one of those things where the replacement >> part is as expensive as the whole monitor? > >I've used Moniserv for CRT repair, but they do LCD as well. >http://www.moniserv.com/ > >I've been at their facility, well the old one in Hayward. For the most >part, they only repair high end stuff. Anyway, the prices are on the >website.
I'll check out the site. Thanks.. One another site I did find out something... http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1339699 The Dell monitor I might fix is really a Samsung.. Dell 2408WFP 6ms G2G 24"WS Samsung S-PVA (LTM240CS05) Ha..
D from BC <myrealaddress@comic.com> wrote:

>I've been clicking around and around.. I can't find out where to get a >24" Dell LCD monitor screen replacement. > >Per chance anyone know where to go for Dell parts.
Dell monitors are mostly rebranded monitors. The part number of the screen is on the back. But you're better of finding another monitor with a different defect or buy a new one. -- Failure does not prove something is impossible, failure simply indicates you are not using the right tools... "If it doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer!" --------------------------------------------------------------
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 15:53:25 -0800, D from BC
<myrealaddress@comic.com> wrote:

>I've been clicking around and around.. I can't find out where to get a >24" Dell LCD monitor screen replacement. > >Per chance anyone know where to go for Dell parts. > >Or.. is this going to be one of those things where the replacement >part is as expensive as the whole monitor?
Many monitors seem to me to die due to a flyback transistor in the horizontal circuit. Or... the older ones did that. These days, they often have weird hybrid ICs which seem to have everything possible, including the kitchen sink, in them (in other words, you can't find a simple English phrase to describe their function since they have often a number of partial functions tossed together in them.) I haven't opened up, for fixing, a monitor in years. Only to salvage parts, lately. But the serious stress, with high refresh rates and big screens requiring higher voltages, is in that horizontal circuit. That's where the volts/second are murder and where I tend to start first, if the external observation appears to suggest that problem. I also think those transistors are getting harder to find -- and FABs don't like making them, I suspect. (Probably just waiting for the day that cathode ray tubes die a final death.) And parts for monitors, in general, aren't easy to find for hobbyist types, anymore. Years ago, I visited a repair facility. As miso mentions, they also focused on the higher end monitors. Because, as they said, they couldn't afford to spend the time needed to actually repair the cheap monitors. Buying a new one would often cost less than their labor costs to open a dead one and intelligently look around for the problem -- let alone fix it, afterwards. Can you describe the problem, at least? Someone (probably not me) may be better able to make a suggestion of where to look. Jon
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 03:15:37 -0800, Jon Kirwan
<jonk@infinitefactors.org> wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 15:53:25 -0800, D from BC ><myrealaddress@comic.com> wrote: > >>I've been clicking around and around.. I can't find out where to get a >>24" Dell LCD monitor screen replacement. >> >>Per chance anyone know where to go for Dell parts. >> >>Or.. is this going to be one of those things where the replacement >>part is as expensive as the whole monitor? > >Many monitors seem to me to die due to a flyback transistor in the >horizontal circuit. Or... the older ones did that. These days, they >often have weird hybrid ICs which seem to have everything possible, >including the kitchen sink, in them (in other words, you can't find a >simple English phrase to describe their function since they have often >a number of partial functions tossed together in them.) I haven't >opened up, for fixing, a monitor in years. Only to salvage parts, >lately. But the serious stress, with high refresh rates and big >screens requiring higher voltages, is in that horizontal circuit. >That's where the volts/second are murder and where I tend to start >first, if the external observation appears to suggest that problem. I >also think those transistors are getting harder to find -- and FABs >don't like making them, I suspect. (Probably just waiting for the day >that cathode ray tubes die a final death.) And parts for monitors, in >general, aren't easy to find for hobbyist types, anymore. > >Years ago, I visited a repair facility. As miso mentions, they also >focused on the higher end monitors. Because, as they said, they >couldn't afford to spend the time needed to actually repair the cheap >monitors. Buying a new one would often cost less than their labor >costs to open a dead one and intelligently look around for the problem >-- let alone fix it, afterwards. > >Can you describe the problem, at least? Someone (probably not me) may >be better able to make a suggestion of where to look. > >Jon
Someone is selling(almost giving away) a monitor with a cracked screen.. Thought I'd try to rescue..
D from BC wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 03:15:37 -0800, Jon Kirwan > <jonk@infinitefactors.org> wrote: > >>On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 15:53:25 -0800, D from BC >><myrealaddress@comic.com> wrote: >> >>>I've been clicking around and around.. I can't find out where to get >>>a 24" Dell LCD monitor screen replacement. >>> >>>Per chance anyone know where to go for Dell parts. >>> >>>Or.. is this going to be one of those things where the replacement >>>part is as expensive as the whole monitor? >> >>Many monitors seem to me to die due to a flyback transistor in the >>horizontal circuit. Or... the older ones did that. These days, they >>often have weird hybrid ICs which seem to have everything possible, >>including the kitchen sink, in them (in other words, you can't find a >>simple English phrase to describe their function since they have often >>a number of partial functions tossed together in them.) I haven't >>opened up, for fixing, a monitor in years. Only to salvage parts, >>lately. But the serious stress, with high refresh rates and big >>screens requiring higher voltages, is in that horizontal circuit. >>That's where the volts/second are murder and where I tend to start >>first, if the external observation appears to suggest that problem. I >>also think those transistors are getting harder to find -- and FABs >>don't like making them, I suspect. (Probably just waiting for the day >>that cathode ray tubes die a final death.) And parts for monitors, in >>general, aren't easy to find for hobbyist types, anymore. >> >>Years ago, I visited a repair facility. As miso mentions, they also >>focused on the higher end monitors. Because, as they said, they >>couldn't afford to spend the time needed to actually repair the cheap >>monitors. Buying a new one would often cost less than their labor >>costs to open a dead one and intelligently look around for the problem >>-- let alone fix it, afterwards. >> >>Can you describe the problem, at least? Someone (probably not me) may >>be better able to make a suggestion of where to look. >> >>Jon > > Someone is selling(almost giving away) a monitor with a cracked > screen.. Thought I'd try to rescue..
Unless you have one with a good screen and need the psu's or video board don't waste your time. I see many like that, they just end up in landfill. -- Best Regards: Baron.
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:16:12 +0000, Baron
<baron.nospam@linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote:

>Unless you have one with a good screen and need the psu's or video board >don't waste your time. I see many like that, they just end up in >landfill.
I suppose if I'm lucky to find a monitor with a cracked screen and the same monitor with a dead power supply but good screen, I might get somewhere. I'm assuming it's a pita to order a screen from the 'Happy Pixel Factory' in China. huh.. the things I find on wiki.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_monitors
D from BC wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:16:12 +0000, Baron > <baron.nospam@linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote: > >>Unless you have one with a good screen and need the psu's or video >>board >>don't waste your time. I see many like that, they just end up in >>landfill. > > I suppose if I'm lucky to find a monitor with a cracked screen and the > same monitor with a dead power supply but good screen, I might get > somewhere.
Thats about the size of it. Though I do have some salvaged screens, most of the time they are not worth the space to keep them. By the time you have added a labour charge its cheaper to buy a new monitor.
> I'm assuming it's a pita to order a screen from the 'Happy Pixel > Factory' in China.
YMMV. How many dead pixels will you accept ?
> huh.. the things I find on wiki.. > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_monitors
-- Best Regards: Baron.