OT: Where To Dell Replacement Screen

Started by D from BC November 13, 2009
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 20:39:07 +0000, Baron
<baron.nospam@linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote:

>D from BC wrote: > >> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:16:12 +0000, Baron >> <baron.nospam@linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote: >> >>>Unless you have one with a good screen and need the psu's or video >>>board >>>don't waste your time. I see many like that, they just end up in >>>landfill. >> >> I suppose if I'm lucky to find a monitor with a cracked screen and the >> same monitor with a dead power supply but good screen, I might get >> somewhere. > >Thats about the size of it. >Though I do have some salvaged screens, most of the time they are not >worth the space to keep them. By the time you have added a labour >charge its cheaper to buy a new monitor. > >> I'm assuming it's a pita to order a screen from the 'Happy Pixel >> Factory' in China. > >YMMV. How many dead pixels will you accept ? > >> huh.. the things I find on wiki.. >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_monitors
YMMV?
D from BC wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 20:39:07 +0000, Baron > <baron.nospam@linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote: > >>D from BC wrote: >> >>> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:16:12 +0000, Baron >>> <baron.nospam@linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote: >>> >>>>Unless you have one with a good screen and need the psu's or video >>>>board >>>>don't waste your time. I see many like that, they just end up in >>>>landfill. >>> >>> I suppose if I'm lucky to find a monitor with a cracked screen and >>> the same monitor with a dead power supply but good screen, I might >>> get somewhere. >> >>Thats about the size of it. >>Though I do have some salvaged screens, most of the time they are not >>worth the space to keep them. By the time you have added a labour >>charge its cheaper to buy a new monitor. >> >>> I'm assuming it's a pita to order a screen from the 'Happy Pixel >>> Factory' in China. >> >>YMMV. How many dead pixels will you accept ? >> >>> huh.. the things I find on wiki.. >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_monitors > > YMMV?
Your Mileage May Vary ! -- Best Regards: Baron.
On Nov 14, 1:20=A0am, D from BC <myrealaddr...@comic.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 00:46:56 -0800 (PST), "m...@sushi.com" > > > > <m...@sushi.com> wrote: > >On Nov 13, 3:53=A0pm, D from BC <myrealaddr...@comic.com> wrote: > >> I've been clicking around and around.. I can't find out where to get a > >> 24" Dell LCD monitor screen replacement. > > >> Per chance anyone know where to go for Dell parts. > > >> Or.. is this going to be one of those things where the replacement > >> part is as expensive as the whole monitor? > > >I've used Moniserv for CRT repair, but they do LCD as well. > >http://www.moniserv.com/ > > >I've been at their facility, well the old one in Hayward. For the most > >part, they only repair high end stuff. Anyway, the prices are on the > >website. > > I'll check out the site. Thanks.. > One another site I did find out something...http://www.hardforum.com/show=
thread.php?t=3D1339699
> The Dell monitor I might fix is really a Samsung.. > Dell 2408WFP 6ms G2G 24"WS Samsung S-PVA (LTM240CS05) > Ha..
I've never seen that monitor in the flesh, but the S-PVA screens are supposed to be very good. It is an alternative technology to the IPS schemes used in most high end monitors. The TN screens are the cheap ones you should junk if they fail. If you end up looking for a new monitor, a few of the HP units are S- PVA, as well as Dell via Samsung. Most of the displays for graphics work are still variants of IPS. There is a website out of Germany that does reviews detailed enough to spell out the technology employed. It takes a lot of technology to make a LCD approach the quality of a CRT, or plasma, if they ever made one of desktop proportions. Some of the NEC displays have a field flattening feature that alters the intensity of the data on the fly based on the location on the screen, in order to keep the intensity uniform across the display. This can be switched on and off, so I assume it slows things down. When you select the feature and see the illumination go flat, you really can't believe the crap you were watching prior to correction.
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 15:53:25 -0800, D from BC <myrealaddress@comic.com> wrote:
>I've been clicking around and around.. I can't find out where to get a >24" Dell LCD monitor screen replacement.
>Per chance anyone know where to go for Dell parts.
Anybody know how to search for a part using google or perhaps how to get to ebay and how to search?
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 16:13:10 -0600, AZ Nomad
<aznomad.3@PremoveOBthisOX.COM> wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 15:53:25 -0800, D from BC <myrealaddress@comic.com> wrote: >>I've been clicking around and around.. I can't find out where to get a >>24" Dell LCD monitor screen replacement. > >>Per chance anyone know where to go for Dell parts. > >Anybody know how to search for a part using google or perhaps how to >get to ebay and how to search?
Did that already and I timed out..
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 03:15:37 -0800 Jon Kirwan <jonk@infinitefactors.org>
wrote in Message id: <h93tf55vdl2iu0198csdb6ln3rjddtscfs@4ax.com>:

> These days, they >often have weird hybrid ICs which seem to have everything possible, >including the kitchen sink, in them (in other words, you can't find a >simple English phrase to describe their function since they have often >a number of partial functions tossed together in them.)
Jungle chip.
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 06:18:30 -0500, JW <none@dev.null> wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 03:15:37 -0800 Jon Kirwan <jonk@infinitefactors.org> >wrote in Message id: <h93tf55vdl2iu0198csdb6ln3rjddtscfs@4ax.com>: > >> These days, they >>often have weird hybrid ICs which seem to have everything possible, >>including the kitchen sink, in them (in other words, you can't find a >>simple English phrase to describe their function since they have often >>a number of partial functions tossed together in them.) > >Jungle chip.
Ah. So that's the term? I could believe it. Jon
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 03:27:01 -0800, Jon Kirwan
<jonk@infinitefactors.org> wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 06:18:30 -0500, JW <none@dev.null> wrote: > >>On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 03:15:37 -0800 Jon Kirwan <jonk@infinitefactors.org> >>wrote in Message id: <h93tf55vdl2iu0198csdb6ln3rjddtscfs@4ax.com>: >> >>> These days, they >>>often have weird hybrid ICs which seem to have everything possible, >>>including the kitchen sink, in them (in other words, you can't find a >>>simple English phrase to describe their function since they have often >>>a number of partial functions tossed together in them.) >> >>Jungle chip. > >Ah. So that's the term? I could believe it. > >Jon
I like it. Welcome to the jungle.
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 13:18:18 -0800, D from BC
<myrealaddress@comic.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 03:15:37 -0800, Jon Kirwan ><jonk@infinitefactors.org> wrote: > >>On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 15:53:25 -0800, D from BC >><myrealaddress@comic.com> wrote: >> >>>I've been clicking around and around.. I can't find out where to get a >>>24" Dell LCD monitor screen replacement. >>> >>>Per chance anyone know where to go for Dell parts. >>> >>>Or.. is this going to be one of those things where the replacement >>>part is as expensive as the whole monitor? >> >>Many monitors seem to me to die due to a flyback transistor in the >>horizontal circuit. Or... the older ones did that. These days, they >>often have weird hybrid ICs which seem to have everything possible, >>including the kitchen sink, in them (in other words, you can't find a >>simple English phrase to describe their function since they have often >>a number of partial functions tossed together in them.) I haven't >>opened up, for fixing, a monitor in years. Only to salvage parts, >>lately. But the serious stress, with high refresh rates and big >>screens requiring higher voltages, is in that horizontal circuit. >>That's where the volts/second are murder and where I tend to start >>first, if the external observation appears to suggest that problem. I >>also think those transistors are getting harder to find -- and FABs >>don't like making them, I suspect. (Probably just waiting for the day >>that cathode ray tubes die a final death.) And parts for monitors, in >>general, aren't easy to find for hobbyist types, anymore. >> >>Years ago, I visited a repair facility. As miso mentions, they also >>focused on the higher end monitors. Because, as they said, they >>couldn't afford to spend the time needed to actually repair the cheap >>monitors. Buying a new one would often cost less than their labor >>costs to open a dead one and intelligently look around for the problem >>-- let alone fix it, afterwards. >> >>Can you describe the problem, at least? Someone (probably not me) may >>be better able to make a suggestion of where to look. >> >>Jon > >Someone is selling(almost giving away) a monitor with a cracked >screen.. Thought I'd try to rescue..
An LCD with a crack is toast. Not repairable, just a question of when it becomes unusable (different limits per person).