Using mobile phone as an internet radio

Started by jim stone October 2, 2012
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
> > In article <GcKdnTpQbqR-ofLNnZ2dnUVZ_sqdnZ2d@earthlink.com>, > Michael A. Terrell <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> wrote: > > > Phil Hobbs wrote: > > > > > > I've never had a package stolen, as far as I can recall. > > > Me, either. It's probably that their postal system won't come to > > reasonable terms with the US postal system. > > Other countries seem quite happy to use ordinary post to the UK. The US, > not. So explain that.
Probably the War of 1812. ;) Coming from Canada, I can tell you that the USPS is very nearly flawless when compared with Canada Post. Those morons can't find their rear ends with both hands and a map. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 845-480-2058 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net
On Fri, 05 Oct 2012 19:00:56 -0400, Phil Hobbs

>George Herold wrote: >> >> On Oct 5, 2:51 pm, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote: >> > On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 10:03:21 -0400, Phil Hobbs >> > >> > <pcdhSpamMeSensel...@electrooptical.net> wrote: >> > >> Yep. As I understand it (possible wrong), AC filaments break in the >> > >> middle, mostly from vibration flexing. >> > >> > >I don't think so, because there's no mechanism for that, as I said. The >> > >wire is fully annealed at all times, so there's no possibility of >> > >progressive fatigue failure. >> > >> > Oscillating filament light bulb: >> > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_DwwNVA-7Q> >> > Whether the earths magnetic field is strong enough to induce such >> > oscillations is questionable. >> > >> > While digging for the apparently mythical lifetime test data on >> > incandescent light bulbs, I've found numerous theories on why >> > filaments fail. >> >> Grin, the internet as a 'fire hose' of information. I went searching >> for something that contained "Philips tech. rev." and found a >> reference to the following article, >> >> H. Horster, E. Kauer and W. Lechner &#4294967295; The Burn-out Mechanism of >> Incandescent Lamps Philips Technical Review 32,155-164, 1971. >> >> It was referenced in "Illuminating Engineering - Page 32 - Google >> Books" >> >> But nothing about turn on failure... sigh. >> >> Here is a patent by some of the same guys at Philips... lots of stuff >> about the filament getting hottest in the middle. >> >> http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3868159.html >> (Actually a decently written patent.) >> >> George H. >> >> Tungsten evaporation, causing hot spots, is the most >> > common. One suggested that thermal cycling hardens the tungsten and >> > makes it brittle. Another suggested that the inrush current causes a >> > mechanical shock if it hits at the 60Hz peak, instead of at the zero >> > crossing. Yet another speculates that the temperature differential >> > between the hot filament, and the relatively cold mounting structure >> > may cause cracking. >> > > >I can believe that the filament is hottest in the middle. It's >furtherst from the support, so whatever conductive heat sinking there is >will be less, but more than that, it sees the radiative input from the >rest of the filament on both sides instead of just one.
Aren't the filaments welded to the elements at the ends? It would seem that this would cause a narrowing. ISTR most filaments broken near the supports, which would be counter to the hotter-in-the-middle theory. My theory is that bulbs tend to fail when turned on because of the thermal shock but only because they were about to fail anyway. Cycling, itself, doesn't have a huge effect on longevity, certainly not a factor of two.
>Sort of similar to the case of a long solenoid, whose B field at the >ends is half what it is in the middle.
Do they only burn out when energized? ;-)
On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 00:11:01 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
<dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <GcKdnTpQbqR-ofLNnZ2dnUVZ_sqdnZ2d@earthlink.com>, > Michael A. Terrell <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> wrote: > >> Phil Hobbs wrote: >> > >> > I've never had a package stolen, as far as I can recall. > > >> Me, either. It's probably that their postal system won't come to >> reasonable terms with the US postal system.
Nope, not here either.
>Other countries seem quite happy to use ordinary post to the UK. The US, >not. So explain that.
Follow the money.
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
> > In article <GcKdnTpQbqR-ofLNnZ2dnUVZ_sqdnZ2d@earthlink.com>, > Michael A. Terrell <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> wrote: > > > Phil Hobbs wrote: > > > > > > I've never had a package stolen, as far as I can recall. > > > Me, either. It's probably that their postal system won't come to > > reasonable terms with the US postal system. > > Other countries seem quite happy to use ordinary post to the UK. The US, > not. So explain that.
Sigh. Ask 'your' post office why the rates are so damn high. The rates are agreed on between countries, and the British system is the only that people constantly complain about. Likely high tarriffs on imports from the US that are imposed on incoming goods.
In article <k4jdel$cb4$2@reversiblemaps.ath.cx>, jasen@xnet.co.nz
says...
> > On 2012-10-02, jim stone <tgh6h56nzh@mail.invalid> wrote: > > Not being able to find a small internet radio to buy we liked, we got mobile > > phone with which we link with wi-fi to a modem router, and use it as an > > internet radio. > > > > Keeping the phoned plugged into its charger all the time, we are using it to > > play *all-day* background classical music through an amplifier and speakers. > > > > Since the phone has no 'moving parts' unlike a computer, we are wondering if > > this continuous playing all day of the phone is going to shorten its working > > life ? > > It may be bad for the battery
My favorite apps on my phone: TuneIn, Pandora, ScannerRadioPro, EchoLink and RepeaterBook. And that's kind of why I got the extended battery pack for the phone.
On 06/10/2012 00:15, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote: >> >> In article <GcKdnTpQbqR-ofLNnZ2dnUVZ_sqdnZ2d@earthlink.com>, >> Michael A. Terrell <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> wrote: >> >>> Phil Hobbs wrote: >>>> >>>> I've never had a package stolen, as far as I can recall. >> >>> Me, either. It's probably that their postal system won't come to >>> reasonable terms with the US postal system. >> >> Other countries seem quite happy to use ordinary post to the UK. The US, >> not. So explain that. > > > Probably the War of 1812. ;) > > Coming from Canada, I can tell you that the USPS is very nearly flawless > when compared with Canada Post. Those morons can't find their rear ends > with both hands and a map. >
The Americans do seem generally to be used to sending a lot by courier when we would just put in the post. Tending to happen in the UK also even though the Royal Mail / Parcelforce often give a better service and of course do not charge extra to send further. There has been a big campaign in the North of Scotland about companies charging extra for many postcode areas.
In article <mY2dnbVhx85fUPLNnZ2dnUVZ_gSdnZ2d@earthlink.com>,
   Michael A. Terrell <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> wrote:

> "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote: > > > > In article <GcKdnTpQbqR-ofLNnZ2dnUVZ_sqdnZ2d@earthlink.com>, > > Michael A. Terrell <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> wrote: > > > > > Phil Hobbs wrote: > > > > > > > > I've never had a package stolen, as far as I can recall. > > > > > Me, either. It's probably that their postal system won't come to > > > reasonable terms with the US postal system. > > > > Other countries seem quite happy to use ordinary post to the UK. The US, > > not. So explain that.
> Sigh. Ask 'your' post office why the rates are so damn high. The > rates are agreed on between countries, and the British system is the > only that people constantly complain about. Likely high tarriffs on > imports from the US that are imposed on incoming goods.
Sigh. Try reading what was said. Most US companies refuse to send anything to the UK by normal post. They insist on using a courier service. If the fault was at the UK end, this would apply to all other countries sending things here. I know logic isn't your strong point - at least compared to your blind patriotism - but even then... -- *Don't squat with your spurs on * Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound.
In article <EfmdnfC5gagOdvLNnZ2dnUVZ7radnZ2d@bt.com>,
   MB <MB@nospam.nospam> wrote:
> The Americans do seem generally to be used to sending a lot by courier > when we would just put in the post.
Quite. And I was simply guessing at an explanation. Any better guesses happily considered.
It's what happens when private firms cherry pick the most profitable stuff. -- *That's it! I&#4294967295;m calling grandma! Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound.
On 10/05/2012 07:47 PM, krw@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Oct 2012 19:00:56 -0400, Phil Hobbs > <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote: > >> George Herold wrote: >>> >>> On Oct 5, 2:51 pm, Jeff Liebermann<je...@cruzio.com> wrote: >>>> On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 10:03:21 -0400, Phil Hobbs >>>> >>>> <pcdhSpamMeSensel...@electrooptical.net> wrote: >>>>>> Yep. As I understand it (possible wrong), AC filaments break in the >>>>>> middle, mostly from vibration flexing. >>>> >>>>> I don't think so, because there's no mechanism for that, as I said. The >>>>> wire is fully annealed at all times, so there's no possibility of >>>>> progressive fatigue failure. >>>> >>>> Oscillating filament light bulb: >>>> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_DwwNVA-7Q> >>>> Whether the earths magnetic field is strong enough to induce such >>>> oscillations is questionable. >>>> >>>> While digging for the apparently mythical lifetime test data on >>>> incandescent light bulbs, I've found numerous theories on why >>>> filaments fail. >>> >>> Grin, the internet as a 'fire hose' of information. I went searching >>> for something that contained "Philips tech. rev." and found a >>> reference to the following article, >>> >>> H. Horster, E. Kauer and W. Lechner &#4294967295; The Burn-out Mechanism of >>> Incandescent Lamps Philips Technical Review 32,155-164, 1971. >>> >>> It was referenced in "Illuminating Engineering - Page 32 - Google >>> Books" >>> >>> But nothing about turn on failure... sigh. >>> >>> Here is a patent by some of the same guys at Philips... lots of stuff >>> about the filament getting hottest in the middle. >>> >>> http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3868159.html >>> (Actually a decently written patent.) >>> >>> George H. >>> >>> Tungsten evaporation, causing hot spots, is the most >>>> common. One suggested that thermal cycling hardens the tungsten and >>>> makes it brittle. Another suggested that the inrush current causes a >>>> mechanical shock if it hits at the 60Hz peak, instead of at the zero >>>> crossing. Yet another speculates that the temperature differential >>>> between the hot filament, and the relatively cold mounting structure >>>> may cause cracking. >>>> >> >> I can believe that the filament is hottest in the middle. It's >> furtherst from the support, so whatever conductive heat sinking there is >> will be less, but more than that, it sees the radiative input from the >> rest of the filament on both sides instead of just one. > > Aren't the filaments welded to the elements at the ends? It would seem that > this would cause a narrowing. ISTR most filaments broken near the supports, > which would be counter to the hotter-in-the-middle theory.
The feedthroughs are made of Dumet, which is basically 42Ni stainless with a borated copper coating to bind to the glass. It's much lower-melting than the tungsten, so spot-welding them together shouldn't affect the tungsten much. A necked-down hot spot is a stress concentration point, and ones nearer the support would have more mass hanging off them. When the filament jumps at turn-on, hot spots at the ends will probably more torque applied.
> > My theory is that bulbs tend to fail when turned on because of the thermal > shock but only because they were about to fail anyway. Cycling, itself, > doesn't have a huge effect on longevity, certainly not a factor of two. > >> Sort of similar to the case of a long solenoid, whose B field at the >> ends is half what it is in the middle. > > Do they only burn out when energized? ;-)
I've never seen one burn out that wasn't energized. But you're the big-iron transmitter guy. Gotta run, I have a bunch of guys coming to the lab in a few minutes, and I have to start the coffee pot! Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net
On 10/06/2012 04:28 AM, MB wrote:
> On 06/10/2012 00:15, Phil Hobbs wrote: >> "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote: >>> >>> In article <GcKdnTpQbqR-ofLNnZ2dnUVZ_sqdnZ2d@earthlink.com>, >>> Michael A. Terrell <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> wrote: >>> >>>> Phil Hobbs wrote: >>>>> >>>>> I've never had a package stolen, as far as I can recall. >>> >>>> Me, either. It's probably that their postal system won't come to >>>> reasonable terms with the US postal system. >>> >>> Other countries seem quite happy to use ordinary post to the UK. The US, >>> not. So explain that. >> >> >> Probably the War of 1812. ;) >> >> Coming from Canada, I can tell you that the USPS is very nearly flawless >> when compared with Canada Post. Those morons can't find their rear ends >> with both hands and a map. >> > > The Americans do seem generally to be used to sending a lot by courier > when we would just put in the post. Tending to happen in the UK also > even though the Royal Mail / Parcelforce often give a better service and > of course do not charge extra to send further. There has been a big > campaign in the North of Scotland about companies charging extra for > many postcode areas.
That's mostly a business etiquette thing, I think. Sending somebody a bunch of business documents in the snail mail sort of says that their input isn't that urgent. Letter mail here is also very secure IME. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net