Transformer drawing 1 amp

Started by Unknown March 14, 2007
<Bob.Jones5400@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1174025112.574864.250830@y66g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
> > Yeah, it probably is just a cheap transformer. I didn't know about > the differences in the material but now I do ;) I know they > "welded"(looks like its bee soldered) the laminates together so I > can't take it apart.
If the laminations are welded together, it may cause more eddy currents and heating of the steel. It may be deliberate.
> > Do you know if its easy to come by the laminates? I'd like to try to > make a few transformers for fun but I don't want to spend to much > money on it. I've seen bobbins for sell but not laminates. I was > thinking about trying to make some but I don't really have that thin > metal. well, I have some stainless steel sheets that might work? I'd > have to coat them with something so that there are no eddy currents. > Maybe I can play around with this and see what works best.
Toroids are good for experimental transformers. You can often take apart an old Powerstat (variac), and wind a secondary on it. I have some 2 kVA units that were trashed because of burned brushes. I have used them with a few turns of very heavy wire (actually bus bar) to get several thousand amperes at a few volts. Usually you can get about 0.25 to 1 volt per turn on a 200 VA to 2 kVA core. They are very efficient, and very quiet (acoustically and electrically). They are a bit harder to wind, however. I have thought about making a small toroid from a length of steel strapping tape wound up like a clock spring. It should work, but the steel is probably not the best for the purpose. Might be an inexpensive learning tool, however.
> > Thanks for your time and energy, You've been quite helpful. > > Thanks, > Bob >
You're welcome. Paul
On 15 Mar 2007 23:05:12 -0700, "Bob.Jones5400@gmail.com"

The suppliers usually want to sell hundreds of pounds at a time, but you could try these guys: http://www.laminationspecialties.com/ Your best bet would be to try to find some surplus transformers where they haven't welded the lams, or varnished them too heavily. Then you might be able to get the lams out and rewind the transformer. You will also need magnet wire; sometimes local motor rewind shops will sell small quantities. And, you will need insulating materials; Nomex is the material of choice.
>I'd like to try to >make a few transformers for fun but I don't want to spend to much >money on it. I've seen bobbins for sell but not laminates. I was >thinking about trying to make some but I don't really have that thin >metal. well, I have some stainless steel sheets that might work? I'd >have to coat them with something so that there are no eddy currents. >Maybe I can play around with this and see what works best.
Stainless steel won't work well at all. The only thing that really works well is real silicon steel transformer laminations.
> >Thanks for your time and energy, You've been quite helpful. > >Thanks, >Bob
Thanks for all the help. I'm going to use the transformer as is for
now and get on with building the rest of the circuit. When I get some
more time I'll come back to messing around with the transformer
specific stuff. I can always drop in a better transformer if I need
to. If the only issue at this point is heat then I can deal with it.
Once I'm more comfortable with building a high current supply I might
invest more into quality components.

Bob

<Bob.Jones5400@gmail.com>
> > Thanks for all the help. I'm going to use the transformer as is for > now and get on with building the rest of the circuit. When I get some > more time I'll come back to messing around with the transformer > specific stuff. I can always drop in a better transformer if I need > to. If the only issue at this point is heat then I can deal with it.
** No law against using a small fan to blow on that tranny. Easily triples the available power capacity. ....... Phil
On Mar 16, 5:35 am, "Phil Allison" <philalli...@tpg.com.au> wrote:
> <Bob.Jones5...@gmail.com> > > > > > Thanks for all the help. I'm going to use the transformer as is for > > now and get on with building the rest of the circuit. When I get some > > more time I'll come back to messing around with the transformer > > specific stuff. I can always drop in a better transformer if I need > > to. If the only issue at this point is heat then I can deal with it. > > ** No law against using a small fan to blow on that tranny. > > Easily triples the available power capacity. > > ....... Phil
Yeah, I already mentioned that I would do that. I didn't know it tripled the power capacity though. Do you mean that if it dissipates X watts then adding a fan will allow it to dissipate 3*X watt? Is this true in general or just for things that heat up slowly and have adequate ventilation for the fan? Thanks, Bob
<Bob.Jones5400@gmail.com>

** No - I mean it can allow a tranny to deliver up to 3 times rated power to a load. Equates to 9 times increase in dissipation within the tranny. Only limited by the ability if the tranny to regulate its secondary voltage. ...... Phil
On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 00:07:25 -0500, John Popelish wrote:

> In this picture of a microwave oven transformer, the > secondary has been removed (it wound through the holes where > the coin lays) and you can see the two blocks of laminations > that almost close the flux path around the primary winding. > http://www.abiengr.com/~sysop/images/MOT-primary2.jpg
NOTE: I've removed the magnetic shunts that used to sit between the primary and secondary. (I cut off the secondary with a chop saw, and used a punch to get the shunts out.) Thanks, Rich