Reply by Rich Grise March 16, 20072007-03-16
On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 00:07:25 -0500, John Popelish wrote:

> In this picture of a microwave oven transformer, the > secondary has been removed (it wound through the holes where > the coin lays) and you can see the two blocks of laminations > that almost close the flux path around the primary winding. > http://www.abiengr.com/~sysop/images/MOT-primary2.jpg
NOTE: I've removed the magnetic shunts that used to sit between the primary and secondary. (I cut off the secondary with a chop saw, and used a punch to get the shunts out.) Thanks, Rich
Reply by Phil Allison March 16, 20072007-03-16
<Bob.Jones5400@gmail.com>

** No - I mean it can allow a tranny to deliver up to 3 times rated power to a load. Equates to 9 times increase in dissipation within the tranny. Only limited by the ability if the tranny to regulate its secondary voltage. ...... Phil
Reply by Bob....@gmail.com March 16, 20072007-03-16
On Mar 16, 5:35 am, "Phil Allison" <philalli...@tpg.com.au> wrote:
> <Bob.Jones5...@gmail.com> > > > > > Thanks for all the help. I'm going to use the transformer as is for > > now and get on with building the rest of the circuit. When I get some > > more time I'll come back to messing around with the transformer > > specific stuff. I can always drop in a better transformer if I need > > to. If the only issue at this point is heat then I can deal with it. > > ** No law against using a small fan to blow on that tranny. > > Easily triples the available power capacity. > > ....... Phil
Yeah, I already mentioned that I would do that. I didn't know it tripled the power capacity though. Do you mean that if it dissipates X watts then adding a fan will allow it to dissipate 3*X watt? Is this true in general or just for things that heat up slowly and have adequate ventilation for the fan? Thanks, Bob
Reply by Phil Allison March 16, 20072007-03-16
<Bob.Jones5400@gmail.com>
> > Thanks for all the help. I'm going to use the transformer as is for > now and get on with building the rest of the circuit. When I get some > more time I'll come back to messing around with the transformer > specific stuff. I can always drop in a better transformer if I need > to. If the only issue at this point is heat then I can deal with it.
** No law against using a small fan to blow on that tranny. Easily triples the available power capacity. ....... Phil
Reply by Bob....@gmail.com March 16, 20072007-03-16
Thanks for all the help. I'm going to use the transformer as is for
now and get on with building the rest of the circuit. When I get some
more time I'll come back to messing around with the transformer
specific stuff. I can always drop in a better transformer if I need
to. If the only issue at this point is heat then I can deal with it.
Once I'm more comfortable with building a high current supply I might
invest more into quality components.

Bob

Reply by The Phantom March 16, 20072007-03-16

The suppliers usually want to sell hundreds of pounds at a time, but you could try these guys: http://www.laminationspecialties.com/ Your best bet would be to try to find some surplus transformers where they haven't welded the lams, or varnished them too heavily. Then you might be able to get the lams out and rewind the transformer. You will also need magnet wire; sometimes local motor rewind shops will sell small quantities. And, you will need insulating materials; Nomex is the material of choice.
>I'd like to try to >make a few transformers for fun but I don't want to spend to much >money on it. I've seen bobbins for sell but not laminates. I was >thinking about trying to make some but I don't really have that thin >metal. well, I have some stainless steel sheets that might work? I'd >have to coat them with something so that there are no eddy currents. >Maybe I can play around with this and see what works best.
Stainless steel won't work well at all. The only thing that really works well is real silicon steel transformer laminations.
> >Thanks for your time and energy, You've been quite helpful. > >Thanks, >Bob
Reply by Paul E. Schoen March 16, 20072007-03-16
<Bob.Jones5400@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Yeah, it probably is just a cheap transformer. I didn't know about > the differences in the material but now I do ;) I know they > "welded"(looks like its bee soldered) the laminates together so I > can't take it apart.
If the laminations are welded together, it may cause more eddy currents and heating of the steel. It may be deliberate.
> > Do you know if its easy to come by the laminates? I'd like to try to > make a few transformers for fun but I don't want to spend to much > money on it. I've seen bobbins for sell but not laminates. I was > thinking about trying to make some but I don't really have that thin > metal. well, I have some stainless steel sheets that might work? I'd > have to coat them with something so that there are no eddy currents. > Maybe I can play around with this and see what works best.
Toroids are good for experimental transformers. You can often take apart an old Powerstat (variac), and wind a secondary on it. I have some 2 kVA units that were trashed because of burned brushes. I have used them with a few turns of very heavy wire (actually bus bar) to get several thousand amperes at a few volts. Usually you can get about 0.25 to 1 volt per turn on a 200 VA to 2 kVA core. They are very efficient, and very quiet (acoustically and electrically). They are a bit harder to wind, however. I have thought about making a small toroid from a length of steel strapping tape wound up like a clock spring. It should work, but the steel is probably not the best for the purpose. Might be an inexpensive learning tool, however.
> > Thanks for your time and energy, You've been quite helpful. > > Thanks, > Bob >
You're welcome. Paul
On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 08:07:13 -0500, chuck <nospam@nospam.org> wrote:

>Phil Allison wrote: > >SNIP > >> BTW >> >> You MUST use a "true rms" meter to test AC current transformer windings. >> >> Ordinary ( average responding ) meters will be way under the real number in >> most cases. >> >> >> >> ...... Phil >> >> > >Only if there is core saturation or a non-linear load. Otherwise, the >two meters ought to read identically.
There *will* be saturation. The current in the primary of an unloaded, iron cored transformer is essentially just the magnetizing current. In a properly designed transformer with rated voltage applied to the primary, this current will not be sinusoidal, because the core will be near saturation. See the waveforms Bob Jones and I posted over on ABSE. With waveforms that peaky, an average responding meter will be substantially in error. Only if you are measuring a sinusoidal current waveform will an average responding meter give the same reading as a true RMS meter.
Reply by Bob....@gmail.com March 16, 20072007-03-16
On Mar 15, 4:38 pm, The Phantom <phan...@aol.com> wrote:
> You saw in the scope pix I posted that a single shorted turn overwhelms > the peaky current peaks caused by saturation. It still is possible that > you have a high resistance short, but that wouldn't produce much heat if it > were the case. > > If you have some small wire you could slip through a small space (if > there is any!) and get a turn around the center leg of the transformer, you > could do what I did and look at the primary current when you short a single > turn. If there's not quite enough space, take a slender wooden > shish-ka-bob skewer and try to force open a space for a wire. >
Ok, I'll try it when I get some time. There seems to be a gap in some spots that I'm sure I could get some wire through.
> Based on the scope pix, I don't think you have a shorted turn. I think > you have a cheap transformer. > > In addition to running the core into saturation, it's probably a cheap > grade of iron, such as M19 instead of M6 (the number refers to the watts > dissipated per pound of laminations). This could help account for the high > current draw and the high temperature of the core even at no-load.
Yeah, it probably is just a cheap transformer. I didn't know about the differences in the material but now I do ;) I know they "welded"(looks like its bee soldered) the laminates together so I can't take it apart. Do you know if its easy to come by the laminates? I'd like to try to make a few transformers for fun but I don't want to spend to much money on it. I've seen bobbins for sell but not laminates. I was thinking about trying to make some but I don't really have that thin metal. well, I have some stainless steel sheets that might work? I'd have to coat them with something so that there are no eddy currents. Maybe I can play around with this and see what works best. Thanks for your time and energy, You've been quite helpful. Thanks, Bob
Reply by Bob....@gmail.com March 16, 20072007-03-16
Ok, Thanks again, Hopefully I'll understand more of this stuff when I
play around with transformers. I have some idea from physics but I
don't have any working knowledge and I've forgot a lot of stuff.

Bob