lithium battery ignition

Started by John Larkin October 14, 2023
whit3rd wrote:
>John Larkin wrote: > > > > >We don't need a PHD to know that Lithium cells can ignite. > > We need commom sense, which universities don't award. > > Of course not; universities are few, and common sense is... by > definition, mass-produced already. > So, there's no need, no market, for such an offering. >
** ROTFL !! How completely asinine. FYI imbecile: so called "common sense" is in reality far from common, cannot be taught by authoritarian institutions and is only learned by some from experience.
> We also need oxygen in our atmosphere; universities don't award > that, either, for the same reason.
** Be almost funny if it were not so sad. . ... Phil
On Sun, 15 Oct 2023 23:06:52 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison
<pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:

>whit3rd wrote: >>John Larkin wrote: >> >> >> > >We don't need a PHD to know that Lithium cells can ignite. >> > We need commom sense, which universities don't award. >> >> Of course not; universities are few, and common sense is... by >> definition, mass-produced already. >> So, there's no need, no market, for such an offering. >> >** ROTFL !! How completely asinine. > >FYI imbecile: so called "common sense" is in reality far from common, cannot be taught by authoritarian institutions and is only learned by some from experience.
It requires believing (and testing) basic causalities and not being confused by subtle and infinite complexity. The "101" level college courses explain the simple causalities, the fundamental principles. In some areas, like physics, the graduate-level studies respect and fine-tune those basics. In some areas, like economics and psychology and sociology and journalism, the more sophisticated "higher level" studies contradict the basics. Common sense mostly requires the willingness to say "stop, that doesn't seem right" in the face of sunk costs and peer pressure. In other words, do what actually works.
On Tuesday, October 17, 2023 at 1:48:55&#8239;AM UTC+11, John Larkin wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Oct 2023 23:06:52 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison > <palli...@gmail.com> wrote: > > >whit3rd wrote: > >>John Larkin wrote: > >> > >> > >> > >We don't need a PHD to know that Lithium cells can ignite. > >> > We need commom sense, which universities don't award. > >> > >> Of course not; universities are few, and common sense is... by > >> definition, mass-produced already. > >> So, there's no need, no market, for such an offering. > >> > >** ROTFL !! How completely asinine. > > > >FYI imbecile: so called "common sense" is in reality far from common, cannot be taught by authoritarian institutions and is only learned by some from experience. > > It requires believing (and testing) basic causalities and not being > confused by subtle and infinite complexity.
"Infinite complexity" if it existed - and it probably can't - would be bound to be confusing. What John Larkin is actually saying is that he is a pretentious twit.
> The "101" level college courses explain the simple causalities, the fundamental principles. In some areas, like physics, the graduate-level studies respect and fine-tune those basics.
That's reasonable.
> In some areas, like economics and psychology and sociology and journalism, the more sophisticated "higher level" studies contradict the basics.
They don't, but there are number ways of doing "higher level" studies and those fields have yet to latch on a single set of insights that everybody can agree on. They don't contradicts the basics, but they do contradict one another, and the discussion is frequently acrimonious, and some partisans imagine that their particular high level insights are more basic than they actually are. Monetarists come to mind.
> Common sense mostly requires the willingness to say "stop, that doesn't seem right" in the face of sunk costs and peer pressure. In
other words, do what actually works. But of course agreeing about what "actually" works is part of the problem. Common sense doesn't help much there. -- Bill Sloman, Sydney
On Monday, October 16, 2023 at 7:48:55&#8239;AM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Oct 2023 23:06:52 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison > <palli...@gmail.com> wrote: > > >whit3rd wrote: > >>John Larkin wrote: > >> > >> > >> > >We don't need a PHD to know that Lithium cells can ignite. > >> > We need commom sense, which universities don't award. > >> > >> Of course not; universities are few, and common sense is... by > >> definition, mass-produced already. > >> So, there's no need, no market, for such an offering.
> Common sense mostly requires the willingness to say "stop, that > doesn't seem right" in the face of sunk costs and peer pressure. In > other words, do what actually works.
That's not a definition of common sense, but of pragmatism. The "face of sunk costs and peer pressure" doesn't seem particularly relevant to a discussion of the concept of 'common sense'.