Host Restriction

Started by legg September 16, 2023
Email to my brother started bouncing.

(receiver domain name)
SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:
    550 5.7.1 [C16] RBL Restriction:
See (web address)lookup.abusix.com/search?q=(my domain name)

What's Abusix.com when its at home and what has it got to do
with my email traffic?

Legit or just collecting data?

RL
On 16/09/2023 13:48, legg wrote:
> Email to my brother started bouncing. > > (receiver domain name) > SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection: > 550 5.7.1 [C16] RBL Restriction: > See (web address)lookup.abusix.com/search?q=(my domain name) > > What's Abusix.com when its at home and what has it got to do > with my email traffic?
I'll hazard a guess that your brother or his ISP use abusix to filter emails destined for his email address. And for some reason your domain name is either on a blacklist or has a malformed or missing SPF record.
> > Legit or just collecting data?
Probably just telling you that if you want to know more about why your email has been rejected by their mail filters you can go to that URL. You are very lucky to *get* a bounce message these days! Most stuff that fails SPF is dropped silently on the floor without warning. It catches out a lot of small businesses whose ISP's have sloppy mail configs. I never get emails from people with misconfigured SPFs any more. My ISP simply drops them on the floor likewise with most hostile binary threats unless it really is a zero day exploit and not in their danger list. -- Martin Brown
On 9/16/2023 5:48 AM, legg wrote:
> Email to my brother started bouncing. > > (receiver domain name) > SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection: > 550 5.7.1 [C16] RBL Restriction: > See (web address)lookup.abusix.com/search?q=(my domain name) > > What's Abusix.com when its at home and what has it got to do > with my email traffic?
You (unlikely) or someone else in your mail domain has been regarded as a source of spam. So, your domain has likely been blacklisted. The URL will likely give you some ideas as to how you can "fix" the situation. The message *suggests* you visit the URL provided for more information on why you've been singled out thusly. It can prove helpful if, for example, your machine has been hacked and is being used to deliver spam.
> Legit or just collecting data?
Visiting ANY <dubious> URL should always be done with caution (AND your email client configured not to interpret HTML mail unconditionally). But, likely worth a peek. Or, do a web search for examples of the information they provide.
NOT getting a bounce message is preferable as it leaks no information to the potential spammer: "Hmmm, I wonder if XYZ@ABC is a legitimate address? Let's see..." [Similarly, phone messages saying "press X to unsubscribe" means they were able to get their message TO your ears, even if only by voicemail!]
> I never get emails from people with misconfigured SPFs any more. My ISP simply > drops them on the floor likewise with most hostile binary threats unless it > really is a zero day exploit and not in their danger list.
I've friends who will drop ANY incoming messages with attachments.
Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> Wrote in message:r
> On 9/16/2023 5:48 AM, legg wrote:> Email to my brother started bouncing.> > (receiver domain name)> SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:> 550 5.7.1 [C16] RBL Restriction:> See (web address)lookup.abusix.com/search?q=(my domain name)> > What's Abusix.com when its at home and what has it got to do> with my email traffic?You (unlikely) or someone else in your mail domain has beenregarded as a source of spam. So, your domain has likelybeen blacklisted. The URL will likely give you some ideasas to how you can "fix" the situation.The message *suggests* you visit the URL provided for moreinformation on why you've been singled out thusly. Itcan prove helpful if, for example, your machine has beenhacked and is being used to deliver spam.> Legit or just collecting data?Visiting ANY <dubious> URL should always be done with caution(AND your email client configured not to interpret HTML mailunconditionally). But, likely worth a peek.Or, do a web search for examples of the information they provide.
MXTools is helpful for finding which org is blocking the domain name. Cheers -- ----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html
On Sat, 16 Sep 2023 08:31:19 -0700, Don Y
<blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote:

>On 9/16/2023 5:48 AM, legg wrote: >> Email to my brother started bouncing. >> >> (receiver domain name) >> SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection: >> 550 5.7.1 [C16] RBL Restriction: >> See (web address)lookup.abusix.com/search?q=(my domain name) >> >> What's Abusix.com when its at home and what has it got to do >> with my email traffic? > >You (unlikely) or someone else in your mail domain has been >regarded as a source of spam. So, your domain has likely >been blacklisted. The URL will likely give you some ideas >as to how you can "fix" the situation. > >The message *suggests* you visit the URL provided for more >information on why you've been singled out thusly. It >can prove helpful if, for example, your machine has been >hacked and is being used to deliver spam. > >> Legit or just collecting data? > >Visiting ANY <dubious> URL should always be done with caution >(AND your email client configured not to interpret HTML mail >unconditionally). But, likely worth a peek. > >Or, do a web search for examples of the information they provide.
It's all plain text here. I contacted my ISP 'abuse' link and copied the details. They've been blocked and cleared and blocked again . . . Morons or bots at both ends of the trail. RL
On Sat, 16 Sep 2023 14:28:50 +0100, Martin Brown

>On 16/09/2023 13:48, legg wrote: >> Email to my brother started bouncing. >> >> (receiver domain name) >> SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection: >> 550 5.7.1 [C16] RBL Restriction: >> See (web address)lookup.abusix.com/search?q=(my domain name) >> >> What's Abusix.com when its at home and what has it got to do >> with my email traffic? > >I'll hazard a guess that your brother or his ISP use abusix to filter >emails destined for his email address. And for some reason your domain >name is either on a blacklist or has a malformed or missing SPF record. >> >> Legit or just collecting data? > >Probably just telling you that if you want to know more about why your >email has been rejected by their mail filters you can go to that URL. > >You are very lucky to *get* a bounce message these days! Most stuff that >fails SPF is dropped silently on the floor without warning. It catches >out a lot of small businesses whose ISP's have sloppy mail configs. > >I never get emails from people with misconfigured SPFs any more. My ISP >simply drops them on the floor likewise with most hostile binary threats >unless it really is a zero day exploit and not in their danger list.
Tried it with and without attachments. They don't care who or what it is, just dropping the whole Primus domain, it seems. Both my brother's and my original ISPs were gobbled up decades ago. Mine used to be just down the street. His was publicly owned telecom . . . went to *ell. RL RL
Commercial RBL provider so far as I can see. the details seem to be buried under many layers of marketing crap. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System_blocklist
> and what has it got to do with my email traffic?
They don't like your domain name and you'r brothers mailbox privider trusts their judgment. the info at the URL you got may explain why they don't like your domain name.
> Legit or just collecting data?
SFAIK legit. -- Jasen. &#127482;&#127462; &#1057;&#1083;&#1072;&#1074;&#1072; &#1059;&#1082;&#1088;&#1072;&#1111;&#1085;&#1110;