How do I post a spreadsheet?

Started by neo5...@gmail.com June 12, 2023
I can't seem to recall how to post a spreadsheet. Any ide?
On 6/12/2023 11:25 AM, neo5...@gmail.com wrote:
> I can't seem to recall how to post a spreadsheet. Any ide?
render it to ascii text -- comma delimited or otherwise?
On Monday, June 12, 2023 at 7:20:55 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:
> On 6/12/2023 11:25 AM, neo5...@gmail.com wrote: > > I can't seem to recall how to post a spreadsheet. Any ide? > render it to ascii text -- comma delimited or otherwise?
What about the Graph part though?
On 19/06/2023 19:22, neo5...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, June 12, 2023 at 7:20:55 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote: >> On 6/12/2023 11:25 AM, neo5...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> I can't seem to recall how to post a spreadsheet. Any ide?
IN short you can't these groups are text only discussion groups. You could put it on a file download site and post a link. No-one in their right mind will open a XLS* or DOC* file of unknown provenance so your best bet is save all the numeric content as tab delimited and include some notes on what to plot to see the graph.
>> render it to ascii text -- comma delimited or otherwise?
> What about the Graph part though?
You could provide instructions as to what area to select for plotting. There is quite an art in saving formulae so that a spreadsheet in tab delimited text form can be downloaded inspected and then loaded into Excel to work dynamically on any new data. -- Martin Brown
On 6/19/2023 11:30 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 19/06/2023 19:22, neo5...@gmail.com wrote: >> On Monday, June 12, 2023 at 7:20:55 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote: >>> On 6/12/2023 11:25 AM, neo5...@gmail.com wrote: > >>>> I can't seem to recall how to post a spreadsheet. Any ide? > > IN short you can't these groups are text only discussion groups. > You could put it on a file download site and post a link. > > No-one in their right mind will open a XLS* or DOC* file of unknown provenance > so your best bet is save all the numeric content as tab delimited and include > some notes on what to plot to see the graph.
Or, render a graphic (JPG, TIFF, etc.) of the graphics... something that is benign to most browsers. ["Between friends", I would have suggested rendering the report to a PDF -- but even those can be hostile (open in sandbox)]
On 13-06-2023 01:20, Don Y wrote:
> On 6/12/2023 11:25 AM, neo5...@gmail.com wrote: >> I can't seem to recall how to post a spreadsheet. Any ide? > > render it to ascii text -- comma delimited or otherwise? >
Post it to your website if you have one
On 6/19/2023 2:46 PM, Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund wrote:
> On 13-06-2023 01:20, Don Y wrote: >> On 6/12/2023 11:25 AM, neo5...@gmail.com wrote: >>> I can't seem to recall how to post a spreadsheet. Any ide? >> >> render it to ascii text -- comma delimited or otherwise? > > Post it to your website if you have one
Many folks don't (or, in my case, won't expose their site to The Masses). But, you can post to a free, third-party service and then publish a link to it, there. However, you'll have to pick a form that users would know to be benign (you wouldn't open an arbitrary EXE file posted to a site, would you?)
On Monday, June 19, 2023 at 5:58:35 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:
> On 6/19/2023 2:46 PM, Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund wrote: > > On 13-06-2023 01:20, Don Y wrote: > >> On 6/12/2023 11:25 AM, neo5...@gmail.com wrote: > >>> I can't seem to recall how to post a spreadsheet. Any ide? > >> > >> render it to ascii text -- comma delimited or otherwise? > > > > Post it to your website if you have one > Many folks don't (or, in my case, won't expose their site to > The Masses). > > But, you can post to a free, third-party service and then > publish a link to it, there. > > However, you'll have to pick a form that users would > know to be benign (you wouldn't open an arbitrary EXE > file posted to a site, would you?)
Thanks everyone for your useful input.